News Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Switch) - releasing on July 29th

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
These maps are impossibly big and way too full of enemies. This is like going through an assassin's creed game but being forced to do it on foot the entire time lol.

I do like how much the game has expanded feature wise but I still find myself missing the blade system. I liked each one having its own skill tree with objectives to do and they were generally laid out in a way that you could find the enemies you needed as you were progressing naturally. I see the affinity chart is back from 1 and I remain completely confused as to its purpose.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
These maps are impossibly big and way too full of enemies. This is like going through an assassin's creed game but being forced to do it on foot the entire time lol.

I do like how much the game has expanded feature wise but I still find myself missing the blade system. I liked each one having its own skill tree with objectives to do and they were generally laid out in a way that you could find the enemies you needed as you were progressing naturally. I see the affinity chart is back from 1 and I remain completely confused as to its purpose.
The maps are huge, especially in Chapter 3 where I am, not sure if that is the biggest though.
The amount of enemies I don't find too bad because once you go past them in level and their number is grey, they don't attack you anymore. So you can then choose if you want to fight.

Reactions: Cacher

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
I'm about 10 hours in and one thing is starting to annoy me. While the overall plot seems intriguing, the writing leaves a lot to be desired. There is so much anime cliche writing here that I cringe at some of the scenes. I honestly expected better writing looking at the scores this game got.

ALSO, IT'S THE FIFTH GAME IN A SERIES AND I STILL CAN'T TURN OFF THE CONSTANT SKILL SHOUTING DURING COMBAT. WHY DO JRPGS KEEP DOING THIS!?

EDIT. And another thing that came to my mind. This game has this thing where it wants to show you how cool it is. For example, at one point of the game you find an item fabricator, and when you turn it on you get this massive text on the whole screen saying " Fabricator REBOOTED!" like what you did was something amazing, or when you accept a quest they need to show you on the entire screen that you accepted a quest, or when you level up your characters at rest points they need to show you this pointless animation of characters swinging their weapons, or when you kill rare or slightly tougher than normal enemy, they need to pause your game to show you some Japanese signs and tell you that you gained slightly more experience and gold, or when using chain attacks this game needs to show you how cool a character is using his ultimate ability, they pan the camera around, make some flashy UI animations, put some text on the screen, make character do some dancing with their weapon while shouting "ASS BREAKER" or some other shit.

I'm a bit torn about this game so far.

Last edited:

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
It's interesting to read all the issues people have with this... I really loved the original Xenoblade, but I tried to get into XCX and Xenoblade 2 and I just couldn't. I needed to try Xenoblade 2 more, but maybe I'm just too old for this shit.

Reactions: Prodigy

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
As a veteran of the entire Xeno franchise, my take is that I'm really not a fan of how hard this game holds your hand for so long compared to X or 2. I loved the way those games gave you a lot to work with early on, and then continued to add new systems/tools throughout the game. It continuously gave you a sense of exploration in the combat, which for how long those games are and how each Xeno game can take a little while to get going with the story, made it feel so much more engaging early on. Meanwhile in 3 you're stuck with almost nothing for the first few chapters to the point where auto-battle is as optimal as just naturally playing the game, and then as soon as you open up class switching it's only relegated to switching to your allies classes, but with your characters performing noticeably worse in their roles. This game's combat was obviously designed for people who never played a Xeno game before and I respect that cuz I'm probably in the very small minority of people who actually played X through it's endgame as well as interacted with the postgame challenge battles in 2, but I think they could've found a much better middle ground early on.

The AI is about as middling as they've always been in a XB game. Constant frustration with AI sometimes doing break combos and other times ignoring it, more frustration with where they place their buff circles, and the most frustration with how tanks never like to stand in the heal circles so I have to manually move them into it. The game's not really that difficult early on though so it's whatever.

That being said, now that I have access to ouroboros forms, chain attacks, and starting to finally see hero quests to unlock more classes I can finally see it starting to open up some more. The combat itself does feel noticably better too at lvl 20 where I can finally equip a 5th art/2nd fusion art so that I can actually get my interlink level up higher for longer fights to make the ouroboros form feel more useful. You definitely want to take the game's advice and rush for the chaining talent arts and reducing heat guage for the Ouroboros skills asap.

Imo if I an experienced veteran of the series asked me the best way to tackle this game early on, I would just tell them to move to ch4 as fast as possible before going back and doing more exploration and non hero side quests. Oh and definitely play on hard mode because this is the easiest Xeno game by far, especially with how easy it is to be overleveled in this game when you consider the unique monsters and how you can stack exp modifiers with overkills to get a stupid amount of exp (and that doesn't even include the bexp). The bosses are def more of a damage sponge, but it at least keeps the game much more engaging early on.

Oh and make sure you do your tip drills, they're very good for teaching you things you might not pick up on naturally through combat. And eat at every canteen you can to get new recipe's too.

Can't really speak much to the rest of the game as I'm still only about 10 hours in. The soundtrack is fantastic and the cutscenes are very well beautiful to look at though that's to be expected by in a Takahashi directed game, so no surprise there.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

God Cleaver
Dec 8, 2018
As a veteran of the entire Xeno franchise, my hot take is that I'm really not a fan of how hard this game holds your hand for so long compared to X or 2. I loved the way those games gave you a lot to work with early on, and then continued to add new systems/tools throughout the game. It continuously gave you a sense of exploration in the combat, which for how long those games are and how each Xeno game can take a little while to get going with the story, made it feel so much more engaging early on. Meanwhile in 3 you're stuck with almost nothing for the first few chapters to the point where auto-battle is as optimal as just naturally playing the game, and then as soon as you open up class switching it's only relegated to switching to your allies classes, but with your characters performing noticeably worse in their roles. This game's combat was obviously designed for people who never played a Xeno game before and I respect that cuz I'm probably in the very small minority of people who actually played X through it's endgame as well as interacted with the postgame challenge battles in 2, but I think they could've found a much better middle ground early on.

The AI is about as middling as they've always been in a XB game. Constant frustration with AI sometimes doing break combos and other times ignoring it, more frustration with where they place their buff circles, and the most frustration with how tanks never like to stand in the heal circles so I have to manually move them into it. The game's not really that difficult early on though so it's whatever.

That being said, now that I have access to ouroboros forms, chain attacks, and starting to finally see hero quests to unlock more classes I can finally see it starting to open up some more. The combat itself does feel noticably better too at lvl 20 where I can finally equip a 5th art/2nd fusion art so that I can actually get my interlink level up higher for longer fights to make the ouroboros form feel more useful. You definitely want to take the game's advice and rush for the chaining talent arts and reducing heat guage for the Ouroboros skills asap.

Imo if I an experienced veteran of the series asked me the best way to tackle this game early on, I would just tell them to move to ch4 as fast as possible before going back and doing more exploration and non hero side quests. Oh and definitely play on hard mode because this is the easiest Xeno game by far, especially with how easy it is to be overleveled in this game when you consider the unique monsters and how you can stack exp modifiers with overkills to get a stupid amount of exp (and that doesn't even include the bexp). The bosses are def more of a damage sponge, but it at least keeps the game much more engaging early on.

Oh and make sure you do your tip drills, they're very good for teaching you things you might not pick up on naturally through combat. And eat at every canteen you can to get new recipe's too.

Can't really speak much to the rest of the game as I'm still only about 10 hours in. The soundtrack is fantastic and the cutscenes are very well beautiful to look at though that's to be expected by in a Takahashi directed game, so no surprise there.
The main reason why 3 has such heavy-handed tutorials in the early game is because 2's tutorials were NOTORIOUSLY bad. Even th0ugh I had 100% both 1 and X beforehand, I did not completely grasp 2's combat system until I watch some fan-made tutorials online. The most baffling part about this is that the Torna DLC for 2 had better re-readable tutorials, but THE BASE GAME WAS NEVER PATCHED TO HAVE BETTER TUTORIALS?????

I'm almost 50 hrs into 3 and I keep the story battles interesting by turning off the overkill mechanic in the options and never spending any of the bonus exp I get. That lets me do a lot of sidequests and other optional stuff while still being a few levels below the story bosses. I would rather be underleveled than have most enemies be damage sponges. I switch characters often in combat, so I usually don't have issues with the AI.

I've been having a great time with the game, and I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being my favorite in the series. :thumbsupblob:

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
The main reason why 3 has such heavy-handed tutorials in the early game is because 2's tutorials were NOTORIOUSLY bad. Even th0ugh I had 100% both 1 and X beforehand, I did not completely grasp 2's combat system until I watch some fan-made tutorials online. The most baffling part about this is that the Torna DLC for 2 had better re-readable tutorials, but THE BASE GAME WAS NEVER PATCHED TO HAVE BETTER TUTORIALS?????

I'm almost 50 hrs into 3 and I keep the story battles interesting by turning off the overkill mechanic in the options and never spending any of the bonus exp I get. That lets me do a lot of sidequests and other optional stuff while still being a few levels below the story bosses. I would rather be underleveled than have most enemies be damage sponges. I switch characters often in combat, so I usually don't have issues with the AI.

I've been having a great time with the game, and I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being my favorite in the series. :thumbsupblob:
Oh I don't deny that the tutorials have always been pretty bad, they're actually at their best here with the new Drill tutorials in the options, and I also watched the same tutorials (Enel's vids are really good for this for 2). It still doesn't change my point that I like how open the systems are for 2 early on. The game expected to you to have already played at the very minimum XB1, and challenged you early on to learn how it's systems worked. But I also fully recognize that the combat turned people away from 2 and they just wrote it off as bad, partly because they never bothered to learn it more in depth and they couldn't really fall back to the story in 2 took quite a bit to really come into it's own. Where something like 1 which was unique for the franchise, yet extremely straight forward and easy to pick up kept people engaged early on (though this has the drawback of wearing it's length like XB1's system absolutely did for the second half of the game). I don't blame them for playing it more safe like they did, rather than making it more obtuse early on like X and 2 did. I only criticize in saying they could have found a better middle ground than basically making it XB1-lite for the first several hours.

I switch around pretty often in combat as well, though it's annoying how you have to switch one by one. This would've been fine for earlier blade games where your party size was only 3, but I hate having to switch from like Noah who's first in the order to Taion who's 4th. It's extremely cumbersome and they should've just had that switch option be a wheel instead of switching one by one. It makes me tend to just stop switching in most fights where I don't really need to and instead just deal with the AI.

I didn't know you could turn off the overkill mechanic, thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely need to set that.

Also speaking of XB1, I'm glad that even though they brought back the worst systems from the 1st game here (gem crafting and affinity) they're at least much more tolerable in this game. I still would preferred a whole new system instead of a rehash, but we at least avoided the worst case scenario of them coming back and being just as bad as they were in the first game.

Last edited:

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I'm now 31 hours in and still on chapter 3. I'd like to expand on my thoughts of the game but at the same time I'm so early in the story that I still feel like I haven't done all that much despite my play time.

I will say I don't like the map design at all. I mentioned how unnecessarily large they are already but they're also very flat and I feel it's harder to memorize them than it was in XB2. I think with how massive these areas are they could have put more things to do in them because 90% of it is just running and fighting or dodging the absolute absurd amount of enemies that are all over these areas. The areas in 2 like gormott, uraya and mor ardain felt a lot more memorable to me. That being said I'm enjoying the game more than 1 at least (I really hated that one).

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
I'm now 31 hours in and still on chapter 3. I'd like to expand on my thoughts of the game but at the same time I'm so early in the story that I still feel like I haven't done all that much despite my play time.

I will say I don't like the map design at all. I mentioned how unnecessarily large they are already but they're also very flat and I feel it's harder to memorize them than it was in XB2. I think with how massive these areas are they could have put more things to do in them because 90% of it is just running and fighting or dodging the absolute absurd amount of enemies that are all over these areas. The areas in 2 like gormott, uraya and mor ardain felt a lot more memorable to me. That being said I'm enjoying the game more than 1 at least (I really hated that one).
The most backwards the blade series has ever went was removing the sprint button after how amazing it felt in X to sprint around the large maps.

That being said it looks like u can improve walk/swim speed and enemy detection zones by raising affinity but god knows how long that'll take.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I am just 22 hours in. Honestly still very early so I can't comment too much, but I like most of the design choices so far. I espcially love how the group would collect information and discuss among themselves. Really give a sense of team work and adventure. These short conversations are pretty good-written as well with how the characters make fun of each other.

Reactions: Arc

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I've played about 21 hours and so far I like it more than Xenoblade 2 simply because there hasn't been any tropey anime cringe yet and it feels tonally closer to the first game. I've finished the second area and kind of have an idea where the main plot is going. If I have one complaint, it's that Monolith still can't do cutscene pacing to save their lives. There are so many....long....pauses....in between dialogue and character movements that get tiresome. But at the same point I realize I'm mostly in it to explore big worlds so it isn't a dealbreaker.

Also Sena best girl.

Big McLargehuge

God Cleaver
Dec 8, 2018
I love it when I run accross a Moebius enemy because that means I get to listen to this again.

• This!
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I love it when I run accross a Moebius enemy because that means I get to listen to this again.
This piece always hype me up for the fight. Honestly all the battle themes (including the chain attack theme) in this game are fantastic.

Btw, I just reached chapter 4 and was surprised by how throwaway the consuls are. But I am totally fine with this design choice as well because there are still important ones like Consul J. The reveal took me off guard.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I finished chapter 4 and got some pretty big twists and turns. I'm finally all in with caring about the story.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
The stretch from the end of chapter 5 to the beginning of chapter 6 is seriously like two hours of cutscenes. The story is being told in a way where I'm emotionally invested, but hoo boy I could have watched an entire movie in that time. o_O

Also (and this is a MASSIVE spoiler)

Queen Nia took me by surprise. I've seen the image online of Rex and his harem, but I just thought it was an inconsequential Easter egg.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
50 hours in. I finished the opening section of Chapter 5 and it looks like a good time to explore previous regions and revist some colonies. Greeted by an ocean amount of side quests as well as some hero ascension quests.

Guess I am not clicking the above spoiler tag anytime soon.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I just finished it after 111 hours. I ended up choosing to skip what side stuff I had left to get it over with as it was seriously dragging by that point.

My opinion hasn't really changed since the earlier chapters. I think it's a significantly weaker game than xb2 in almost every area, most crucially in story and characters. The writing for both the good and bad guys is extremely one note and repeats itself constantly, and they use the same plot twist like 4 times throughout the game lol. The final dungeon was orders of magnitude less interesting and fun to go through than 2's was. I still think it's a better game than 1 but I can't say I'm not disappointed in how this turned out.

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
30 hours in, just started chapter 4 recently. This game is a slog. After impressive initial ~3 hours, this game did not progress plot-wise at all. Like AT ALL. I still don't know what is going on and what anything means. All I got in these 27 hours are encounters with council guys which I would describe as childish/cartoon-level villains, they do not progress the story, they just exist and I just kill them. And of course, I can't forget that in these 27 hours I'm bombarded with surface-level bonding cutscenes.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Finished it after about 64 hours. I kind of loved it and felt like it was an excellent bookend to the trilogy. I won't deny the game absolutely drags at points, but the payoff in the final chapters is worth it. I didn't do too much in the way of optional content since it never really does feel satisfying in Xeno games, but I got enough to had my fill.

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
So far I avoided all spoilers for this game until I didn't. I'm on chapter 4 so far and my friend just spoiled me a part of the ending. I just lost all the motivation to play the game :confused-face:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Spent a bit a time with the game over the weekend. I don't know, the antagonists didn't impress me that much. If you want to have moustache-twirling villains at every turn, don't make the rest of the game feel grounded and serious. I'm still early on, though, so I don't know if it will change.

Also, I kept dying even though I'm overleveled … until I controlled my healer directly. :flare_lmao: The tactics wheel is practically useless. :flare_pout:

They both look good here, but Noah wear the hell out of that dress.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Just reached chapter 4 after between 20-25 hours (Switch playtime tracking sucks). Feels shorter than the previous games.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
It took me around 65 hours but I stopped doing side quests about halfway through since I was greatly overleveled and didn't really care any more. It's around the same ballpark as Xenoblade 2 and somewhat longer than Xenoblade 1.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I am 65 hours in but still in chapter 5, and this thought strikes me today: the progression of Xenoblade 3 actually works like Fallout New Vegas, where many companions are optional but their quests contain key information and lore to the world, have high production value that brings you to places that are not explored in the main quests, and even opening up optional hub areas with new NPCs and more side quests. This is definitely something that not many (or no) JRPGs have done it before, and I really appreciate the effort even though the world feels too large at times. I was also surprised that (hero spoiler) one of the heroes is a consul who wants others to enjoy the freedom he has. Great idea and very fitting to the theme of the game.

Meanwhile, it was disappointing that it is not allow to lower level in the first playthrough. They really should have patched it because my level is way too high than the enemies in the main quest.

Big McLargehuge

God Cleaver
Dec 8, 2018
I beat the story at around 110 hrs and I'm still doing optional content after 20 additional hrs. After some thinking, I will still call this my favorite Xenoblade. Do I think it's the best Xenoblade? That's more of a subjective topic since each game has it's pros and cons:
  • 1 has an amazing setting and main plot that complement each other very well, but its combat is the most basic and it has too many repetitive and mind-numbing sidequests
  • X has an excellent open world that is fun to explore and has great side quests that provide character development and world building, but it's main plot is lacking and late/post game grinding is absurd (which is why I used Cheatengine when I replayed it through Cemu)
  • 2 has arguably the best soundtrack and a great combat system, but the quality of it's character designs and story are very inconsistent. It's plot ranges from really poor (Ch. 4) to some of the best moments in the series (Ch. 10). And there's other criticisms as well such as the gacha system of obtaining Blades, the confusing UI and tutorials, Poppi's upgrades tied to a mediocre minigame, etc.
  • 3 has (imo) the most well-developed main cast, the most fun combat system, and the best facial animations that create some of the most-well executed emotional moments in the series. A lot of the Hero Quests are some of the best side quests in the series, with some making me believe that they should be part of the main story. Yes, the story does waver a bit during the late game, but the final boss and ending were so good that it didn't bother me all that much. I agree that leveling down should be available at all times instead of being unlocked after beating the game since people that do lots of side content along the way (like me) can become overleveled for the main plot even without using Bonus XP and Overkill. Another criticism I have is that fast-travel always sets the in-game time to 8:00, which resulted in most of the game taking place at daytime and me not being exposed to the night time views and music all that much. I'm not sure why the developers made this change, since it is a detriment to the game, especially for people that use fast-travel often. Edit: Turns out that you can press L/R to change the time of day when fast traveling and it's set to morning by default. Didn't notice until after I wrote this.🤦‍♂️ I guess this game still has some weird UI stuff from 2.
Overall, I think 3 was a fantastic entry to the series and I am still enjoying my time with it. It's story and characters were handled really well and can lead to a lot of thought provoking discussions. I like what they did with the villains in this game and what they represent (I could talk further about them, but that would involve endgame spoilers and I would rather save that to a future post).

Last edited:
  • Comfy
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
End of chapter 5 and beginning of chapter 6................

I love this world because Xenoblade is in it.

• This!
Reactions: Big McLargehuge

goat

Mass Erect
Jan 21, 2019
So I'm finally at chapter 4 and level 50. I've never leveled up at the campfires and I've even deleveled 3 or 4 times now (hacked Switch and enabled a down leveling cheat). This game is massive.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Soon done with Xenoblade 3. Good game, but not the best in the series imo, will write which one I consider best and worst in my review.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Rushed chapter 6 because I wanted to see what happen next. This chapter actually feels shorter than the previous one. I saw some people said the story would be going downhill from here but honestly I don't feel it a single bit. Still stick to the overall theme of the story very well. And the music (especially THAT track) remains excellent.

I think I will rush chapter 7 as well. Going to leave some side quests for the second playthrough after the final story DLC releasing in 2023.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The story and characters in 3 was a step down from the previous games imo. The combat and systems has been great, but otherwise, 3 is a step down overall imo.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
The story and characters in 3 was a step down from the previous games imo. The combat and systems has been great, but otherwise, 3 is a step down overall imo.
I would say XB2 has better villains, but definitely not better main party. N is still a pretty good villain though. Meanwhile, I also reluctant to compare between the three games because it is obvious that they try to tell three different stories, each in their own style, and every game will be bound to have its own fans. So far, I wouldn't say XB3 is my favorite one yet but it is excellent in its own way.

Last edited:

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
I beat this game yesterday. I can't comprehend how it managed to get those high scores. I really disliked it. I will list some of the things why I disliked this game, tho it would be easier to say what I liked, but anyway...
  • The very beginning of the game sets a sad tone, the world is brutal and in constant war. You can see people killing each other, mechs going over dead bodies, etc. And then the game doesn't stick to that. Apart from very few cutscenes that show you the war, nothing about this game shows you how brutal this world is. The main cast knows only war, but they are all trying to be funny and chill. And we have Riku and Manana for constant comedic purposes. That doesn't work for me.
  • The first 2 hours are solid, and then for 30-40 hours the story does not progress by a tiny bit, you just walk around and free other colonies, which ultimately doesn't matter story-wise. And then after those 30-40 hours, you get exposition dump after exposition dump after exposition dump until the game ends.
  • While the story at first seems to be interesting, the ending ultimately disappoints and leaves some unanswered questions. The writing is terrible. I cringed so hard at some of the dialogs. Everything is surface level deep. I felt like I was watching B or C-tier anime. The story also doesn't include the concept of classes, so in key moments for example Lanz will always be a tank and Eunie will be a healer. This game also commits the same cardinal sin as Xenoblade 2, where you beat the boss in the battle, but in the cutscene after the battle, you get your ass kicked by that boss. There are many moments where I literally facepalmed, for example at the end of the game, when we are in the Origin ( I prefer Steam tbh), N suddenly says something from a distance, and Noah is like "I recognize this voice... It's N!" Noah, my boy, it's literally your own voice...
  • The villains in this game are childish and petty. They behaved like they were taken straight from a kid's show. Z was not a great villain either. All he could talk was about despair and sorrow. He answered questions by asking more questions.
  • The combat seemed unfair. It doesn't matter how many aggro generating items/skills/gems I put on my tank and aggro lessening on my attackers, my attackers will always at some point get the aggro. Also, the aggro is ultimately not really that important, because all bosses have big AoE skills that have higher damage than those single target skills and they will kill some of your party members. Your healers have a very short healing distance, so you have to stick close to them, but doing so you're vulnerable to even more AoE skills. For some unknown reason, your AI teammates have a higher attacking range than you. They also like to stick together so they all get hit by the same AoE skills. The chain attack takes too long to perform. I was mentally in pain every time I had to use it. And during the last boss battle, I had to use it like 6 times.
  • Ouroboros form look godawful
  • Music is just serviceable, I wish the flute was more prominent in the soundtrack.
  • The world design is a huge downgrade compared to previous games. In Xenoblade 1 you walked on two huge titans, you walked around their arms, knees, etc. Xenoblade 2 had many distinct titans, each with a very different biome. Those maps were gorgeous. Xenoblade 3 is just open fields. There are no memorable landmarks.

Last edited: