Opinion Your 1998 GOTY (Half-Life, Ocarina of Time, Starcraft, Metal Gear Solid)

Game of the Year 1998 (select up to two)

• Half-Life

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Fallout 2

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Metal Gear Solid

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • StarCraft

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Grim Fandango

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Thief: The Dark Project

• Final Fantasy Tactics

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Baldur's Gate

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Pokemon Red/Blue

• Banjo-Kazooie

• Gran Turismo

• Unreal

• Turok 2: Seeds of Evil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Parasite Eve

• Heart of Darkness

• Xenogears

• F-Zero X

• Caesar III

• Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines

• Mega Man Legends

• Panzer Dragoon Saga

• Tomb Raider III

• Soulcalibur

• Shogo: Mobile Armor Division

• Sanitarium

• Spyro the Dragon

• Crash Bandicoot: Warped

• Star Wars Trilogy Arcade

• Total voters

Bonfires Down

Nov 18, 2019
Any expansions or DLC count as being part of the base game.

1998 is often referred to as the greatest year in gaming history. Do you agree? Up to two choices each this time.

Honorable Mentions
Yoshi’s Story
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Metal Slug 2
Descent: FreeSpace
Jurassic Park: Trespasser
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
Populous: The Beginning
Myth II: Soulblighter
Die by the Sword
Battlezone
Railroad Tycoon II
SiN
Heretic II
Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven
Warhammer: Dark Omen
Radiant Silvergun
Vigilante 8
MediEvil

OP
Bonfires Down

Bonfires Down

Nov 18, 2019
Heart of Darkness
I'm a complete sucker for these cinematic platformers.

Baldur's Gate
The second game is too much of everything for me, but I love the first one. Leisurely strolls in the wood, rat slaying and useless mages. It's just how I like it.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Worth clarifying that version of Soulcalibur wasn't as seen on DC but a namco system 12 game that looked like a fancied up with details/effects Tekken 3.

Still cool obviously, it's the same gameplay exactly after all. But that Dreamcast port was a remake!

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
I'm one of those "SC:BW is the perfect competitive multiplayer game" evangelists, Starcraft is an easy pick here for me. Second one i'm taking Fallout 2 over Half-Life and Baldurs Gate, but it hurts, crazy year overall for sure.

Kandrick

Jun 10, 2019
Switzerland
Sorry to Half-Life, Thief, and Baldur's Gate, but there can only be one, and that is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
As always I'm voting from the perspective of a mostly PC gamer, so no Ocarina of Time for me :p

Another amazing year that make the choice hard, but my top two are Half-life and Fallout 2.

Half-life was simply something incredible special. Lost count of how many times I replayed it (at least until reaching Zen...). That long and unskippable intro may appear annoying these days, but at the time it set the atmosphere for the game in a manner that was way above everything else.

Fallout 2 was simply the first one done "bigger and better" but not too big that it got annoying, a big problem in today's sequels. And that's kind of the reason I left Thief out. Yes, the first was great, but the second was the perfect evolution. As for Baldur's Gate, I actually skipped the first one so can only speak about the sequel.

Man... I count myself really lucky to "been there" at this time in gaming. So many original and incredible games.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I feel like 1998 signified the beginning of the end of 90's greats. I mostly loved Hydro Thunder, Everquest, and Soul Calibur on my imported Dreamcast that year, but I don't think 1999 holds up as well, nor 2000. But we shall see!

Anyways, 1998 was still a fantastic year!

Some choice comments.

Metal Gear Solid - I think the game heralded truly stylish cinematic games. There were some cool FMV games like Under a Killing Moon, but MGS, while taking many inspirations, truly had its own style and themes. The game oozes atmosphere, which was beginning to become more rare by 1998.
Half-Life - I think probably the best Half Life game, I really love the industrial science theme of the environments.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - The game actually disappointed me slightly in the day, I wanted it to be more open with more towns mainly. The main body of the world feels empty and small compared to the detail of the 2D entries. But it was still great.
Thief: The Dark Project - Another one of the moody classics, such incredible style and gameplay.
Final Fantasy Tactics - I always thought FFT played a bit too slowly, but it does have the TBS chops for sure.
Pokemon Red/Blue - A classic. I played it in 1998 as a late teen but it was still pretty magical.
Banjo-Kazooie - What's with the moody, atmospheric games of this year? Here was have a cartoony game but places like Clanker's Cavern are just so thick with atmosphere. Probably the pinnacle of the collect-a-thon platformers.
Unreal - I think Unreal is pretty underrated today. The levels don't flow quite as well as Quake 2 nor Half Life's but it makes up for that lack in style. Definitely the best looking game of 1998 as well.
Mega Man Legends - <3 Tron Bonne
Panzer Dragoon Saga - Obviously legendary, but the actual game is truly fantastic. There aren't many RPGs that feel this rich yet cinematic.

Bonus "Hated It" section:

Shogo: Mobile Armor Division - Ugh, I was so hyped for this game, and when I saw the character models and art... What a massive turn off. Westerners really failed at mimicking anime style in the 90's. I mean people were TERRIBLE at it. These characters look completely amateur and pathetic. There is better art in asset-flip shovelware today.
StarCraft - I was such a graphics whore in 1998 I bought the game but sold it to a friend. I especially did not like the 'monkey'-looking Terrans. Reminded me of Blast Corps (which I enjoyed as a game), but I thought it was soooo ugly and technologically deficient at the time.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I voted for Half Life and Tomb Raider III. Yes, I know many don't like III but I loved how different the levels were from each other and how you could choose which location to travel, I even got all the secrets to unlock the secret level.

Oldschool PC

Nov 23, 2019
Favorite - Fallout 2

The greatest computer roleplaying game of all time. I've spent hundreds of hours replaying it, and have the urge to do so again someday.

Most underrated - Sanitarium

The atmosphere in this game is so incredibly dense and surreal. I love how disturbing the story can be as well.

Most overrated - Thief: The Dark Project

While I consider Thief 2: The Metal Age to be the greatest stealth game of all time, I am not a big fan of The Dark Project. It lacks confidence as a stealth game, and throws far too many gimmick levels at the player. I just want to rob banks, not raid secret zombie infested temples.

Reactions: lashman

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
So many famous and amazing games in this year.

My top picks:
Metal Gear Solid is an important game, despite what the series ended up as, this was a seminal moment.
Final Fantasy Tactics is still the best Final Fantasy game. (I haven't played 14)
Xenogears is maybe the most ambitious game ever.
Half-Life revolutionized the FPS game
StarCraft revolutionized the RTS
Fallout 2 is just a really good game.
Baldur's Gate is the seed of an amazing CRPG. It needs a bit of polish, but its a fantastic game.

Reactions: lashman

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
Final Fantasy Tactics and Shogo for me. Haven't played any of the other games in this list. Tactics for me is goat, there's nothing ever beating it

Reactions: Schnitzelfee

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Half life and Unreal and rounds of Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6 dominated '98 for me.
Was a year of shooters, and rightfully so.

Reactions: QFNS

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
  • Half Life - For the revolutionary eccentric idea that FPS can be more than arcade arena shooters.
  • Fallout 2 - For being the first game to give me choice paralysis,

Reactions: QFNS

CthulhuSars

Nov 2, 2018
So many great choices but Half-Life and Star Craft were insane to me when they first launched. My highschool GPA plummeted and I believe I missed more school in 98 than all of my school years combined up to that point.

Reactions: Wildebeet and QFNS

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
Half-Life. I kind of wanted to vote Soulcalibur but that was a 9/9/99 thing for me.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I went with Baldur's Gate for this year. I loved many of these games, but Baldur's Gate was really special. I still have a soft spot for low-level adventures.