Discussion Any gaming goals for 2020 ?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
2020 is shaping to be such an insane year that I think the only goal I can really set is to pace myself and make wise purchase choices. The perfect example of this is PS5. Now that I have a proper nice gaming PC, I'm conflicted for the first time ever on my need for consoles. Those first party exclusives though........Fuck me dead they make it a hard decision.
for what it's worth - i'm fairly sure sony will sooner or later (my bet's on sooner) cave in and start releasing their stuff on PC (properly, i mean ... i don't consider Now to be that) ... so there's that :)

1. Finish each Witcher game (only played the first half of all 3).
  2. Play through the Yakuza games.
same for me ... i had TW3 installed since release ... still haven't finished it :negative-blob:

ditto for all 3 Yakuzas (the ones that are on PC)

Maxemole

Waming Griter
Jan 3, 2020
Chicago
maxemole.com
for what it's worth - i'm fairly sure sony will sooner or later (my bet's on sooner) cave in and start releasing their stuff on PC (properly, i mean ... i don't consider Now to be that) ... so there's that :)

same for me ... i had TW3 installed since release ... still haven't finished it :negative-blob:

ditto for all 3 Yakuzas (the ones that are on PC)
Idk what it is with the Witcher games, man. They're so good but it's so hard to finish them haha.

And yeah it's nice that they ported some Yakuza games to Steam and they're coming to Game Pass soon as well.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Idk what it is with the Witcher games, man. They're so good but it's so hard to finish them haha.
you can say that again ... i finished the first one like a week before TW2 came out ... ditto for TW2, lol :p

but i'm like 99% sure i won't finish TW3 a week before Cyberpunk, lol ... i'm about 100h into the game and i haven't even finished (as in - all the sidequests etc.) Velen yet :negative-blob:

And yeah it's nice that they ported some Yakuza games to Steam and they're coming to Game Pass soon as well.
indeed ... can't wait for them to port the rest ... and Judgment

Reactions: Maxemole

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
First, I'd like to spend less time in mindless multiplayer shooters. I really enjoy playing them, but I always end up feeling like I wasted a bunch of time that would have been better spent clearing the backlog.

Second, I'd like to get more involved with Steam/PC communities. I used to have a great group of people on PSN that were always around for pickup games, but people have drifted away over the years. Nobody really uses mics anymore outside of parties, so it's hard to get familiar with anyone. So anyway, add me on Steam y'all, if you haven't yet. No guarantee I'll get over the weird social anxiety and talk to you, but it's a start. In the old days, I'd just play games and lurk, then add people who liked to PTFO and seemed cool. It's so much harder now. :negative-blob:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Second, I'd like to get more involved with Steam/PC communities. I used to have a great group of people on PSN that were always around for pickup games, but people have drifted away over the years. Nobody really uses mics anymore outside of parties, so it's hard to get familiar with anyone. So anyway, add me on Steam y'all, if you haven't yet. No guarantee I'll get over the weird social anxiety and talk to you, but it's a start. In the old days, I'd just play games and lurk, then add people who liked to PTFO and seemed cool. It's so much harder now. :negative-blob:
well in that case let me direct you towards BlindRhythm's awesome thread:

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Yes! I got to Novigrad in Witcher 3 and then just stopped. I remember a lot of details about the quests along the way and how well written they were, but my desire to play just dropped off a cliff.

Mondy

Don't confuse a single failure with a final defeat
Jan 3, 2020
Australia
Yes! I got to Novigrad in Witcher 3 and then just stopped. I remember a lot of details about the quests along the way and how well written they were, but my desire to play just dropped off a cliff.
The sheer size of the game and the depth of content can be a bit overwhelming. You sort of have to just find this zone where you naturally explore the world on your way to the next story quest, rather than treating it like a checklist.

Deleted member 113

The perfect example of this is PS5. Now that I have a proper nice gaming PC, I'm conflicted for the first time ever on my need for consoles. Those first party exclusives though........Fuck me dead they make it a hard decision.
I was on the same boat last generation, and decided to skip consoles for the first time. I didn't get an Xbox One, a PS4, or a Switch (or Wii U before that).
Yes, some first party games are very enticing, but then I look at my backlog, and I think "when will I get to play them"?

In a way, it's the same with VR. The hardware is costly, and I think "does it make sense to spend a few hundred €, in order to play a few games, when I have entire series of games I already own, and never played"?

You reach a certain point where you see yourself playing games for 10-15 years more, I quickly calculate the amount of games I play each year, and I realize I'll never play many of games I already own.

I'm yet to play, despite owning it: Prey, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Dishonored 2, The Witcher 2, The Witcher 3, Devil May Cry 5, the remake of Resident Evil 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, the whole Metro trilogy, both games in the The Evil Within series, Life Is Strange: Before The Storm, and Life Is Strange 2, just to give a few quick examples.
My backlog is embarrassing. :giggle:

I'm sure the hardware will be great, and first party games (especially Microsoft's, because they recently bought some teams I really like) will be awesome, but I have some cool stuff to play, maybe as good (or even better) than many of the stuff coming in the near future, I think it's time to tackle a few of them. :)

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
well in that case let me direct you towards BlindRhythm's awesome thread:
Oh, I'm aware lol. :face-with-cold-sweat:

You reach a certain point where you see yourself playing games for 10-15 years more, I quickly calculate the amount of games I play each year, and I realize I'll never play many of games I already own.
Yeeeap. I had this moment of realization recently, and it was actually very freeing. Suddenly, I didn't feel bad about not buying games I was mildly interested in during sales, since something now has to be very compelling to even consider playing it. You just can't experience everything -- that goes for all of life.

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
To add to my previous goal one thing I want to get better at is not playing games with different methods in phases. Often I wouldn't turn on a console for six months and then play through five games I had built up. And then one month I might go and clean up through a bunch of Origin games. For some reason I'd do that and it would make me reluctant to start up something because mentally I'd think, "Ugh, do I want to devote a month to this storefront?"

I'm already improving on that by having beaten a game on Xbox One, Epic Game Store, Steam, Origin, and playing my PS4 in the last week. I just need to stick to this mindset.