|OT| Apple Corner | I like MacBooks and I cannot lie.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Trying out the game mode in the new MacOS and I might be seeing too much, but trying Pathfinder it both looks better and runs better I think. Can't say for sure since for some reason FPS counter in steam doesn't work.

Lets see if I start messing around with the game porting toolkit to run win only games, I have to install Windows version of steam to even install games, but between xbox, steam deck and all the games that already have Mac versions, don't fully see the need.

Reactions: NarohDethan

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Needed a good small reading device because my iPad Pro is too big to read books in bed.

Grabbed a refurb iPad mini 6. I was a bit conscientious that the new one might be out in a few months, but them I remembered all I’m doing on this is reading books, so I really don’t care about specs.

I’m also looking at a promotion at work to escape my current nightmare department. If I get it, I’m thinking a bigger MacBook is on the cards. I quite like having a PC at my desk, but for writing on the go I’d much rather a Air 15”. I was kind of lukewarm on them at first, but since all I want is a device with a nice screen to multitask my notes and my writing app, it kinda suits that function perfectly.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Some new games coming to Apple Arcade, one notable one that looks super cozy!

Reactions: C-Dub
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Genuinely curious about what kind of Airpods Apple will come up now.

• Eyes
Reactions: Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
How sad, my girlfriend brought me an old Apple Cinema displays from her work, and I can’t get it to work.:( I bought the right ca le for it but can’t seem to make the screen function, not sure if the cable is at fault or the screen just doesn’t work. Can’t really test it any way else and don’t really want to throw it away.

• Sad

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I think the rumoured high end Apple TV console is more realistic now.

A17 without any of the mobile guff (battery, screen, antennae and such) while tethered to a wall plug could feasibly get to a price where it goes up against the modern consoles in price and performance.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
The 15 Pro does look cool but I just bought the 14 Pro Max dammit

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
It's cheaper in my country as well, both the Watch and Phone

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I just want the 15 Pro for the performance, and the fact that it has a titanium shell.

USB-C is also cool, but that's on the regular old 15.

I don't even care about the camera that much. I only take about 1-2 photos every month unless I'm on holiday!

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I just want the 15 Pro for the performance, and the fact that it has a titanium shell.

USB-C is also cool, but that's on the regular old 15.

I don't even care about the camera that much. I only take about 1-2 photos every month unless I'm on holiday!
Maybe I will get crazy and get the Watch and Phone combo, but I'll see.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Actually I'm gonna resist. Not because I want to save money, but there are other things I'd rather spend it on.

I want a bigger screen laptop, and I don't actually want or need a new phone in all honesty. My iPhone 13 is serving me perfectly fine, and I reckon I can get another year out of it.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I do love my Apple Watch SE 2! Since it’s the only smart watch I have ever used, I don’t really know why one would go for fancier one.😂 but yeah I will probably go for a main one next time.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I do love my Apple Watch SE 2! Since it’s the only smart watch I have ever used, I don’t really know why one would go for fancier one.😂 but yeah I will probably go for a main one next time.
To be honest the Ultra is extremely overkill. As long as I can keep track of my runs I'll be fine.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Honestly, the Watch Ultra is a waste of money unless you live a Nathan Drake lifestyle.

I like the fancier watches versus the SE just for the screen size, but it’s not necessarily worth the luxury and the SE is probably fine for the vast majority of people.

But I get why someone would buy a Series 9 (or 8, or 7) because they look nicer and have a bigger screen. But the Ultra is categorically not worth it - they don’t look as nice, are over-engineered and don’t do anything extra for most people.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
So my phone provider sent me an iPhone 15 Pro 128gb offer.

Pay an extra £14pm for 2 years on my current plan (which is only £16pm), trade in my iPhone 13, and get the 15 Pro 128gb.

Would be mad to turn it down. So I guess I'm getting an iPhone 15 Pro!

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Yeah if I had an offer like that I would so go for it. Sadly I can’t get those without French ID.

by the way that Japanese country life adventure that I mentioned earlier is out and is pretty addicting! Pretty simple but nice to play when waiting for thus or in the metro. It plays pretty good, one of the few games that I’ve played that feels nice in portait orientation.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
So my phone provider sent me an iPhone 15 Pro 128gb offer.

Pay an extra £14pm for 2 years on my current plan (which is only £16pm), trade in my iPhone 13, and get the 15 Pro 128gb.

Would be mad to turn it down. So I guess I'm getting an iPhone 15 Pro!

• Toucan
Reactions: C-Dub

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
And it's my birthday next month. Thinking of upgrading to the 15" MacBook Air.

Weighing up whether I should upgrade the internal drive to 512gb for the faster transfer speeds, or upgrade the RAM to 16gb. Both have their plusses and minuses, and sadly I'm not sure I can afford both.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
And it's my birthday next month. Thinking of upgrading to the 15" MacBook Air.

Weighing up whether I should upgrade the internal drive to 512gb for the faster transfer speeds, or upgrade the RAM to 16gb. Both have their plusses and minuses, and sadly I'm not sure I can afford both.
Oh definitely 16gb! You can extend hard drive space with an external SSD to function pretty seamlessly, Sure a hassle if you are on the go often.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Oh definitely 16gb! You can extend hard drive space with an external SSD to function pretty seamlessly, Sure a hassle if you are on the go often.
It’s not about storage space, it’s storage speed. I won’t need 512gb of storage (likely won’t even need 100gb), but the swap from RAM is a lot slower on the 256gb drives compared to the 512gb.

Trying to decide if 16gb and slower swap is more useful than 8gb with faster swap.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
It’s not about storage space, it’s storage speed. I won’t need 512gb of storage (likely won’t even need 100gb), but the swap from RAM is a lot slower on the 256gb drives compared to the 512gb.

Trying to decide if 16gb and slower swap is more useful than 8gb with faster swap.
Oh right! As someone stuck with 8gb BUT faster SSD version of the M1, the computer sometimes crawls to a halt because out of RAM.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Swap is not an adequate replacement for RAM for many tasks. Photo and video editing definitely require more RAM and stutter when reading and writing to swap.

But I’ll mostly be doing writing on this thing. Writing and lots of tabs on my browser. So from my perspective, faster swap is potentially more useful.

Oh decisions, decisions.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Swap is not an adequate replacement for RAM for many tasks. Photo and video editing definitely require more RAM and stutter when reading and writing to swap.

But I’ll mostly be doing writing on this thing. Writing and lots of tabs on my browser. So from my perspective, faster swap is potentially more useful.

Oh decisions, decisions.
Cry once

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com

Oh decisions, decisions.
Having lots of tabs is actually what causes most issues for me.:eek:

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Went to an Apple Store to try the Ultra, that shit is HUGE. I have small wrists so that's a no. So I might decide for a regular S9 once they're available.

Holiday Apple wishlist for me:

Apple Watch S9
Mac Mini
Airpods Pro 2

• Comfy
Reactions: Le Pertti
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Been using the beta for awhile. Not really sure of all that’s new even though I checked the keynote lol. But I do use the clock thingie while charging.
Do you have the always on display?