|OT| Apple Corner | I like MacBooks and I cannot lie.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019

Hello fellow Apple enthusiasts and relentless haters! Welcome to the official Metacouncil Apple Thread!

Basically were are here to share our experiences, talk about new products and events, and basically just about consooming Apple stuff. You don't need to own any Apple devices to join the conversation, of course. All kinds of input is welcome!

As for the next event, on 9/14 Apple presumably will be unveiling their new offering of iPhones for this year. I have a XR which is still going strong but I would definitely like a screen upgrade so I'm very interested in what they will be showing.

• Love
Reactions: Le Pertti
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I have the 12 mini, so I hope the event is disappointing just so I don't need to get a new phone!:D

But people are saying its going to be 13? What happened to 12S?
Yeah for some reason I thought Apple would skip 13 due to superstition but they did have iOS 13 so who knows

• Eyes
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I'm Le Pertti on Game Center if anyone wants to add me! Started playing Zen Pinball so could use friends on those high score lists.
I thought Game Center was an app but can’t find it

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Ahh gotcha haha lmfao, bad Apple fan here!
Not sure how the adding friends thing works, think it might be only by number or email.

Haha, since Apple has put in the system that lets the user decide if one wants apps to track stuff outside the app itself...

So now if one wants to connect instagram to Tinder, Facebook wants to track everything there haha. They are getting little desperate.

Last edited:
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Not sure how the adding friends thing works, think it might be only by number or email.

Haha, since Apple has put in the system that lets the user decide if one wants apps to track stuff outside the app itself...

So now if one wants to connect instagram to Tinder, Facebook wants to track everything there haha. They are getting little desperate.
I checked the option to decline all requests by default

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I checked the option to decline all requests by default
Oh didn't know that was possible, have to do it also.

In the case of Tinder and Instagram, I think they are trying to find ways around the apple control. Not sure if that triggers the app tracking dialogue and I don't want to try.

Last edited:
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Oh didn't know that was possible, have to do it also.

In the case of Tinder and Instagram, I think they are trying to find ways around the apple control. Not sure if that triggers the app tracking dialogue and I don't want to try.
I don’t have mine connected, nothing interesting there anyway.

• Eyes

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
This feels like reading DMs between you two :p

~

Anyway, I like & use Apples aluminium "Magic" keyboards.
I DO NOT like their price however. They currently cost 135 euros (silver) / 159 euro ("space grey"). Why do they cost 24 euros more for a different colour (they're otherwise the exact same)? Because Apple.

Why do they cost that much when they used to cost only 40 euros a couple years ago ? Also because Apple.

But yeah, still my favourite keyboards. Begrudgingly.
Used them for ages now and will continue to do so :)

~

Oh and I appreciate that Apple still sells mp3s on the iTunes store, since Google stopped doing that on the Play Store. I usually get stuff there if something isn't on Bandcamp.

~

And that's all I have to contribute on the topic :p

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I've never used an Apple keyboard, not outside the ones on the Apple Stores, and an ancient one which was actually the first time ever I touched a computer more than 2 minutes IIRC.

But they do look stylish, I want a iMac and I can't wait to use one, plus the trackpad.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I was hoping to upgrade to the whatever next Pro phone they put out but I think I'm gonna hold for now and get the regular version. Plus, it's more likely those will get more colors.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
nordschatten yeah i used to use an Apple keyboard for a long time! But I’ve become a mechanical keyboard nerd so I think I’m going to try get one that’s fancy that matched with the Apple look.

NarohDethan while I absolutely love my mini, I think in the future I will go for pro, only for doing RAW photography and to edit photos on it also.

• Evil
Reactions: NarohDethan
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Part of the reason I'll stop buying videogames is because I want a M1 Macbook. I wanted to go balls deep and get the iMac but tbh I don't have the space for one, I'd have to dump my gaming PC and I don't wanna do that.

• Love

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Part of the reason I'll stop buying videogames is because I want a M1 Macbook. I wanted to go balls deep and get the iMac but tbh I don't have the space for one, I'd have to dump my gaming PC and I don't wanna do that.
Since you already have an iPad, wouldn’t a Mac mini be better than the MacBook? Same internals but cheaper price.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Just made my first Apple Store online order! Let's see how long it takes. I no longer feel confident buying from third parties after I was told to go fuck myself with my defective iPad.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I'm one of the weirdos that says thanks to Siri

• Toucan
Reactions: Wok

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I don't even use Siri.XD I might if I would have one of those Siri pods speaker thingies. I have google home and it works quite well, but I have disconnected it because well I don't want google to listen to everything I say!XD

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I don't even use Siri.XD I might if I would have one of those Siri pods speaker thingies. I have google home and it works quite well, but I have disconnected it because well I don't want google to listen to everything I say!XD
Haha I don't use Siri as much! but when I do I always say thanks dunno why xD

• Toucan

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Update servers getting hammered! It went fast first, but it failed at last second, then second download said it would take one hour, so I restarted the phone and now it says it will take three hours!T_T

• Sad
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I was lucky enough to download it around 12:10. My iPhone is ready to go but my iPad, I'll wait as I didn't request the update at the same time.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
How is the new Castlevania on Apple Arcade?
Saw it yesterday on the App Store but didn’t download it. I saw some comments about bad touch controls and my freaking case hasn’t arrived yet so I cannot put my iPad in a comfortable position to use a controller.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I’m quite liking ios15, while not much have changed I do like it. Safari while feeling weird also feels good.

something apple does pretty badly on IPhone is with included wallpapers! Oneplus was pretty good on that front.
Now using one of those apple rainbow striped ones and that one I really like!

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I’m quite liking ios15, while not much have changed I do like it. Safari while feeling weird also feels good.

something apple does pretty badly on IPhone is with included wallpapers! Oneplus was pretty good on that front.
Now using one of those apple rainbow striped ones and that one I really like!
Yeah I like that one a lot too

• Love
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I’m so addicted to Zookeeper world! Loved it back in the day on thé DS so feels great to be back.
I'll make sure to check it out! I played a bit of the pinball game you mentioned and it looks very good.

• Love

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
iPadOS 15 fucked up my iPad home screen by putting widgets in.

Also, is there a way to change categories on the App Library? It's split my games between "Games" and "Apple Arcade" which is really fucking annoying.

Klavier

Jan 23, 2021
I was kinda hoping they'd announce another Macbook Air at the previous event this year. Really interested in picking one up in the future, but I'll probably wait till the next revision.

The_Inquisitor

MetaMember
Sep 23, 2021
iPhone 13 pro comes Friday (on every year plan).

I’m probably getting the next iPad Pro and handing my MacBook Pro to my fiancé. After I found out I can run code server on my NAS and basically run VSC as a web app I’m set.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Pencil and Smart Folio are here but I really don’t know what am I doing in Procreate.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
So jealous of anyone who can get an iPhone tomorrow. Post pics!

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I can take or leave all of Apple's other products, but the iPads really are the best tablets out there.

Microsoft Surface devices are getting close, especially in the 13 inch range, but the software support isn't there.

But Apple rules the roost on sub-12 inch tablets. No one comes close.

ListeningGarden

目をそらした瞬間
Nov 12, 2018
yeah apple is still uncontested in the tablet space, both in featureset and in making everything flow naturally with the system. samsung is their only competitor in the android space mostly and those still can't quite match the ipad level of polish. microsoft's lateral moves with hybrid laptop/tablet hardware is at least a welcomed approach even if windows isn't quite there yet.

though the only apple stuff i have ever really used are macs, i've always preferred macos over windows for productivity purposes (even before os x) and the general aesthetics & feel of the operating system, though they've been widely impractical for me as gaming machines and are prohibitively expensive for the computing power they offered. m1 is very promising in that regard - intel was the right move for them in the mid 00s but has otherwise been holding them back where their phones and tablets only got better over the years.

silly as it is, them finally bringing back fun colors to the imac line has been the most excited i've been about their hardware in years, the m1 being a cherry on top. yes i have weird priorities. no i will not stop until even their professional line is available in pastels and candy colors.

ListeningGarden

目をそらした瞬間
Nov 12, 2018
This 100% for me. I've used PCs since the 486 days but I really don't like using windows as a daily driver for life in general and more importantly for productivity.
there's just something so smooth and elegant in the design of the os, while also being playful enough to avoid that feeling of being an office machine. windows by contrast is very stiff and proper. practical? sure, but i greatly appreciate that os x/macos has always pushed for personality.

to say nothing of spaces/exposé/mission control, which were complete game changers for me when i got my first macbook back in 2006. my workflow is so cramped without virtual desktops that it borderlines on claustrophobic, and i'm surprised that microsoft has taken as long as it has to put serious work into making it a polished feature for windows. linux also has those features across mostly all of the available desktop environments too, so i tend to use those on my desktop as my "work" operating system for serious tasks. we'll see how windows 11's implementation does once it's been out for a while.

add in stuff like quicksilver/alfred/raycast and windows feels antiquated and restrained.