|OT| Apple Corner | I like MacBooks and I cannot lie.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Got a pair of Airpods Pro today and I’m loving them.
silly as it is, them finally bringing back fun colors to the imac line has been the most excited i've been about their hardware in years, the m1 being a cherry on top. yes i have weird priorities. n
I might or might not be interested in an iMac solely cause they’re available in purple.

Last edited:
  • This!
Reactions: ListeningGarden
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I am typing this message from a Magic Keyboard for iPad 11 Inch.

It is very nice to type on.
I want to get one for my Air but I think that would overlap a lot with my PC/Pencil haha.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I needed a portable computer, but I didn’t need a fully fledged PC that isn’t a desktop. The iPad is perfect for that as I can sync writing and files to it, edit or create on the go and sync back when I’m home again. It does what I need a portable device to do.

Getting the keyboard is just completing the setup I planned to have back in June, since I struggled to justify buying an iPad, Pencil and Magic Keyboard all at once.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I needed a portable computer, but I didn’t need a fully fledged PC that isn’t a desktop. The iPad is perfect for that as I can sync writing and files to it, edit or create on the go and sync back when I’m home again. It does what I need a portable device to do.

Getting the keyboard is just completing the setup I planned to have back in June, since I struggled to justify buying an iPad, Pencil and Magic Keyboard all at once.
The Pencil is pretty amazing. I'm writing this post with mine and it is very relaxing for some reason lol

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Yeah I love the pencil. I've got the whole shebang now.

For me the pencil is really cool at marking up PDFs.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Airpods got a firmware update, making them compatible with Find My.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
After running some numbers I think I’ll have to buy the regular 13. I cannot justify the extra cost of the Pro. Maybe some day~

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Hoping a new Mac Mini gets announced on the 18th! I love my current M1 mini and would love a more powerful one!
I also have the M1 mini! I love it so I hope they don't announce a big upgrade because I can't get a new one already!XD But I am very very curious to see what they do with their MacBook Pro lineup. I'm expecting a huge design upgrade.

Reactions: NarohDethan
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
No purple Homepod? Come on son
Boy all that shit sounds expensive

Last edited:
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I just upgraded to iOS 15.1 because I'm yet to be a Mac bro.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
So I've left Android after two years and returned to iPhones. I wasn't planning on it, but the iPhone 13 really impressed me, and using the iPad Pro reminded me of why I really liked iOS compared to Android.

Plus the Samsung Galaxy S21 is, without question, the worst phone I've ever bought. Terrible battery, full of Samsung shite bloatware and the whole thing is just really sluggish and unpleasant to use.

Apps on the iPhone (even third party apps) are beautiful, much better optimised. And the battery life is just outstanding. I'd take my S21 off the charger at 7am and do nothing with it, and by 3pm it'd be at 60%. My iPhone is currently at 92% with similar use.

I'm really enjoying having the phone and tablet paired up (though not for the obvious things like iMessage or whatever Apple Ecosystem stuff). More to do with iOS Shortcuts, which are amazing and I've done some really neat things with them, and I've missed the Homekit features, especially since I now have an Unraid server and I can run HOOBS as a docker container, really expanding the scope of my smart home tech and what I can do with it.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
C-Dub Having phone and computers synch up is so damn sweet, one thing I didn't think I would love as much as I do, is copying a link or text or something like that on my phone and then pasting it on my computer totally seamless.

Reactions: C-Dub

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
C-Dub Having phone and computers synch up is so damn sweet, one thing I didn't think I would love as much as I do, is copying a link or text or something like that on my phone and then pasting it on my computer totally seamless.
That sort of thing doesn't interest me all that much. It's cool to get texts from your phone on your tablet, but I find it annoying when I get notifications on my PC. I disabled Your Phone in Windows 10/11 within a few weeks of switching to Android back in 2019, and I don't miss the functionality now I'm rocking a Windows PC with Apple mobile devices.

But I do like the way iPhone and iPad talk to eachother. I think that has more to do with how in my mind I treat iPhone and iPad as mobile devices, and my PC as a computer, and I like to do different things on them. Notifications on my phone and tablet are useful, while on my computer they are universally annoying.

The other thing is iPhone apps are just better than Android. They run smoother and faster, and generally apps have better functionality.

Though the main big difference for me which I really like is how intuitive and well-supported the Shortcuts app is.

To give you an idea of some of the automations I've set up since I got the phone on Monday:

1) Change my wallpaper to a random image from a specific Gallery on a regular basis (at 08.00, 12.00, 16.00 and 20.00)
2) Send a Wake on LAN packet to my gaming PC when I open the Moonlight Game Streaming app.
3) When my iPhone battery drops below 20% and my iPad battery drops below 15%, I've set it up so the other device gets a notification warning me about it in case I've left one of them in the other room and I'm completely unaware that it's close to death.
4) Automatically turn off all the lights in the flat when I put my iPhone on charge.

And that's just me doing some tinkering with Shortcuts, Homekit, HOOBS and Home Assistant webhooks. I'm sure as the weeks go on I will have more lightbulb moments and think that I can automate something in a really cool way that wasn't possible before.

• Gib
Reactions: Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Yeah I need to check out shortcuts. My life is kind of simple right now but it’s good to put in some habits. I think I really should start using those focus modes and really have a distinct work time and leisure time.

but I do use sleep mode at a set time and it’s so great that it blocks everything and can only in the morning see notifications and messages and missed calls.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
The iPhone 13 dream looks distant this year but hopefully next year I can get it before March.

• Sad
Reactions: Le Pertti

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
My girlfriend's Windows laptop shit the bed for the last time and after some arm twisting by her sisters, she's joining the rest of her family by getting a refurb MacBook Air.

I know as soon as I help her get set up on the App Store and show her around macOS I'm going to put an order on a MacBook Pro. Already fed up of Windows 11 and I'm thinking of recycling my office PC into an Unraid server upgrade,

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
My girlfriend's Windows laptop shit the bed for the last time and after some arm twisting by her sisters, she's joining the rest of her family by getting a refurb MacBook Air.

I know as soon as I help her get set up on the App Store and show her around macOS I'm going to put an order on a MacBook Pro. Already fed up of Windows 11 and I'm thinking of recycling my office PC into an Unraid server upgrade,
I'm also very tempted to buy a MacBook Pro but damn that price lol

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I need to budget for a new kitchen but doing napkin math:
  • My disposable income is a lot.
  • MacBook Pros range from £1300 (13 inch) to £1900 (14 inch).
  • I have a credit card with 0% APR for the next 22 months.
I can probably afford whichever one I want that's under £2,000 and pay it off in a matter of months. What I need to be more concerned about is that I don't go too hard on the credit card, as I need to finance the aforementioned kitchen.

I also don't want to buy something I don't strictly need. I need something with a good keyboard and that will feel pleasant to use. I think the M1 Pro CPU will be wasted on me, especially since all my professional work (I've taken a career change from tax professional to learning designer) is done on my work computer.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I need to budget for a new kitchen but doing napkin math:
  • My disposable income is a lot.
  • MacBook Pros range from £1300 (13 inch) to £1900 (14 inch).
  • I have a credit card with 0% APR for the next 22 months.
I can probably afford whichever one I want that's under £2,000 and pay it off in a matter of months. What I need to be more concerned about is that I don't go too hard on the credit card, as I need to finance the aforementioned kitchen.

I also don't want to buy something I don't strictly need. I need something with a good keyboard and that will feel pleasant to use. I think the M1 Pro CPU will be wasted on me, especially since all my professional work (I've taken a career change from tax professional to learning designer) is done on my work computer.
The 14" seems to hit that perfect sweet spot, where it can be fully portable, not too big to use in a small Parisian cafe and not too small when home watching a movie.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I definitely want a portable system. There are some laptops that are basically designed to be stationary, whereas I want a laptop I can actually use on my lap, or in the library or during my travels.

I want a iMac M1 more tbh.
My girlfriend was tempted by the iMac M1, but she really wants a portable machine. Plus if she goes for a desktop device it would need to replace her shitty 4:3 work monitor. A shame Apple ditched the Target Display feature.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
My girlfriend was tempted by the iMac M1, but she really wants a portable machine. Plus if she goes for a desktop device it would need to replace her shitty 4:3 work monitor. A shame Apple ditched the Target Display feature.
ngl i just want one because it's available in purple