|OT| Apple Corner | I like MacBooks and I cannot lie.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
The more I think about it the price for Studio Max is pretty reasonable, not only do you get really good work computer but you also get PS5ish gaming capability(if it was optimised for the m1 max).
Yeah, I think it's a very neat package for the price. Hopefully the normal Apple stores sell it because ain't ordering shit online anymore lol
Mac + xbox + deck is my perfect trio
Speaking of Xbox, I hadn't turn on mine in like 2 months. Time to do that or spiders will start taking over it lol

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Yeah, I think it's a very neat package for the price. Hopefully the normal Apple stores sell it because ain't ordering shit online anymore lol

Speaking of Xbox, I hadn't turn on mine in like 2 months. Time to do that or spiders will start taking over it lol
Haha I don't have so much choice if I want to play, but series s and game pass has really been my gaming saviour,

Reactions: NarohDethan
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I wonder how Apple is going to do their Mac Pros, if they are just going to have 4 x M1 MAX or if there are other needs to be met in their Mac Pro, like the reason they have been using Xeon and such.
Honestly I laughed at their M1 Ultra explanation. Pretty much it's just two M1 Max glued together working in parallel

• This!

ListeningGarden

目をそらした瞬間
Nov 12, 2018
wonder if the mac studio w/display is going to take the place of 27" imacs now. not a whole lot of room for side grades and redundancies when they have so many platforms for m1 as is. most likely we'll see a mac pro in the fall to cap off the m1 line (rumored to be 4 dies, so double the size of ultra) while the redesigned macbook air line debuts m2 proper

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
ListeningGarden Might be that they debut the 27" iMac with the M2 also. Mac Studio seems to be targeted at the pros in the way the old 27" iMac used to be, so I'm thinking that the new 27" iMac will be directed more towards homes now the same way the 24" iMac is.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I feel like the M1 Pro CPU hasn’t been fully utilised yet. I hope we’ll see a desktop device with one of those in. That could be where the 27 inch iMac fits in.

On the flip side, they may have determined the 27 inch iMac is redundant now. And I’d be inclined to agree.

Expensive all in one devices serve no one. Pros don’t want them because they want modularity (thus the Studio) and they’re too expensive for consumers.

If you look at their lineup now, I don’t see any gaps in the consumer end that a 27 inch iMac would satisfy.

For the basic customers, the MacBook Air and 24 inch iMac are excellent because you get everything you need in the box.

The Mac mini and 14 inch MacBook Pro are great for “advanced consumers” and businesses who maybe have a requirement for more sustained power (actively cooled MacBook Pro) or specific use-cases where the Mac will be integrated into their currently existing setup (such as a Mini being part of a multi-device desktop, or as a home or small business work server) but don’t need pro tools.

Then for creative professionals the 14/16 inch MacBook Pro with M1 Pro/Max and the Mac Studio with M1 Max/Ultra will be able to handle video, audio and image work.

About the only thing really missing is an enterprise level desktop, which the Mac Pro will fulfil.

And if you want a 27 inch iMac, an M1 mini with the new 27 inch display will probably be priced around what an iMac of that calibre would cost anyway, and you get the benefits of modularity so you can upgrade the screen or computer at your whim.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Well, since the newer Samsungs also dropped the headphone port I'm kinda like flip-flopping between the iphone 13 Vs. S22. :anguished-face:

I think the iphone 13 is kinda pretty especially in blue, white, or the "midnight" color schemes. I guess the biggest problem is all the content i ever bought over the years is on Google. Such as music, and videos, that kinda stuff...

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Just realized I didn't order a screen protector again. It got stolen with the phone on the first order lol. Corrected that now. I like the screen feeling without the protector but if I happen to drop and crack it, I'm gonna flip my shit.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I personally so hyped for the new iPad Air now that I put the thought in my mind that I want it and that it isn't that super expensive.
I've been thinking about buying one and selling / giving this one to my dad.

• Gib

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
As an M1 iPad Pro owner, I can attest that the system is amazing.

Literally never had any issues with the device where I’ve run it to the point that it’s going slow or stuttery.

Pretty much the perfect tablet. So yeah, I 100% recommend any M1 iPad.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
The only issue would be Pro Motion but I think I'll survive in exchange of those extra 200/300 bucks.

• This!
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Give it a few months and I’ll be able to drop some cash down on the entry level model.

I just need to justify a use-case now.
Yeah I'm buying the 'basic' set as well. The Ultra would be a waste, I don't do anything that requires that amount of investment.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Since I already have a Mac mini my next big thing I get is going to be a new camera, other than a iPad also but feels like a smaller thing, Since I don't really have an income anything I get will be ways off. But yeah for my next computer I will go for a Mac studio, OR a Mac mini M2 depending on how they are.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Apparently some folks on Reddit were reporting that the new iPad Air frame is so thin you can feel some internals, and it creaks when you handle it. It's unfortunate.

• Sad
Reactions: Le Pertti and C-Dub

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Does anyone know a good free software or other trick to remove the MDM when setting up an Ipad?

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Does anyone know a good free software or other trick to remove the MDM when setting up an Ipad?
Try Settings > General > VPN and Device Management. Although I suppose you already tried that :p

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Try Settings > General > VPN and Device Management. Although I suppose you already tried that :p
Ah, i guess i wasn't clear, i'm setting up this ipad a new and i'm being cockblocked by it, don't think i can go into settings from there, can i?

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Ah, i guess i wasn't clear, i'm setting up this ipad a new and i'm being cockblocked by it, don't think i can go into settings from there, can i?
Your IT department should’ve set the device up. Part of the point of MDM is that the device is locked down to prevent unauthorised use so you wouldn’t be able to use it as new.

My work’s iPhones come ready to use. We just switch them on and login.

If you’ve bought an iPad in that state, I’m not sure what you can do other than return it.

• This!

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Is there a way to connect it to a computer and do a factory reset?
Not with MDM. They are literally DRM’d to the company’s IT department. This is to prevent reselling of “lost” devices and so they can remote wipe devices that may have sensitive data on them.

Corporate iPhones/iPads are not your garden variety devices.

As I said, that device needs to go back to IT if it’s a workplace issued iPad because they haven’t set it up right. Or if you bought it in that state it needs to be returned.

• Eyes

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Your IT department should’ve set the device up. Part of the point of MDM is that the device is locked down to prevent unauthorised use so you wouldn’t be able to use it as new.

My work’s iPhones come ready to use. We just switch them on and login.

If you’ve bought an iPad in that state, I’m not sure what you can do other than return it.
Nah, i got it from a lost and found in one of our offices, it's been there for almost a year now.
It doesn't belong to our company tho, must have been dropped by a visitor.
Figured i might just use it for myself then. Oh well.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
Hektor

Hold the power button + the Home button or the Power button + the Volume button (depending on models), keep holding them until the recovery mode starts

then connect it to your PC with Itunes open and running and click restore when asked
you gotta set it up as a new device using itunes

iirc a full factory reset should remove mdm too? Never tried myself though

Last edited:

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Hektor

Hold the power button + the Home button or the Power button + the Volume button (depending on models), keep holding them until the recovery mode starts

then connect it to your PC with Itunes open and running and click restore when asked
you gotta set it up as a new device using itunes

iirc a full factory reset should remove mdm too? Never tried myself though
Already tried that, it doesn't unfortunately.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
MDM is like the iCloud activation lock, just for organisations.

I very much doubt it’ll work as it will require the original device owner to authorise it. The company has probably marked it as lost/stolen, so it’s very likely just landfill at this point.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
So I bought an Apple TV 4K. Got sick of the “Smart” TV features of my LG. And this device has pretty much replaced my entire home theatre setup.

Since my LG TV is HomeKit enabled, I’ve set up scenes that allow my Apple TV to control TV inputs. That along with HDMI CEC let’s me control my entire TV from just the Apple TV remote, including switching on devices using CEC.

The neat little extra is enabling HOOBS to add WOL functionality for my home theatre Gaming PC, so I can even switch on my PC when my Apple TV tells my TV to change input. Bliss. I can see why Logitech gave up on Harmony a while back, because it 100% isn’t needed anymore.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
So I bought an Apple TV 4K. Got sick of the “Smart” TV features of my LG. And this device has pretty much replaced my entire home theatre setup.

Since my LG TV is HomeKit enabled, I’ve set up scenes that allow my Apple TV to control TV inputs. That along with HDMI CEC let’s me control my entire TV from just the Apple TV remote, including switching on devices using CEC.

The neat little extra is enabling HOOBS to add WOL functionality for my home theatre Gaming PC, so I can even switch on my PC when my Apple TV tells my TV to change input. Bliss. I can see why Logitech gave up on Harmony a while back, because it 100% isn’t needed anymore.
Heck yeah Apple TV gang. Once you use it you realize how awful Smart TV apps are, even the fast ones.

Reactions: C-Dub

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I had an Apple TV (non 4K) before and it was good, but I sold it after leaving the Apple ecosystem and after I’d decided to buy a 4K TV.

I went with a Shield at first, but Android TV is a lousy experience. Terrible UI full of ads, and Google can’t decide what they want it to be one day from the next. So I sold the Shield TV and we lived with the Series S for the longest time, which was fine.

But when I bought a Smart TV we decided to stick with that. It was functional, for the most part, but a weird bug with Plex that required I restart the Docker container holding my Plex server every time I downloaded a new episode was annoying, and the lack of All4 (which is where Taskmaster and Bake Off is hosted) despite LG promising to have it for years finally tipped me over the edge.

It is better than I remember. Apps are snappier, they do more, and it’s an all around better service. About the only thing I don’t like is the new remote. The old one was better.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I disagree. Android is fine, but iOS is better, especially on tablets. Google’s TV stuff is shit, however. Full of ads and it tries to funnel you to content by algorithms rather than app-based navigation like the Apple TV.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Grabbed a Thunderbolt 3 dock for my MBP. Very surprised to find that it supports HDR and FreeSync on my 4K monitor.

I also grabbed a Keychron K4 as my Logitech Craft was reaching the end of its life (bad battery and duplicated keypresses), so I've got a pretty good mechanical keyboard now.

Still loving this computer. And I'm going to get some serious writing done on this now!

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Grabbed a Thunderbolt 3 dock for my MBP. Very surprised to find that it supports HDR and FreeSync on my 4K monitor.

I also grabbed a Keychron K4 as my Logitech Craft was reaching the end of its life (bad battery and duplicated keypresses), so I've got a pretty good mechanical keyboard now.

Still loving this computer. And I'm going to get some serious writing done on this now!
I really can't wait for the day I can get a proper mechanical keyboard and get rid of my razer one!

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I convinced my dad to get an iPhone 13 instead of an SE3. That thing is tiny!