|OT| Apple Corner | I like MacBooks and I cannot lie.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Yeah, I tried it the other day. Works pretty much flawlessly.

It’s a much better option than extending your display to your iPad because you get the benefits of apps with a UI designed for the display.

I’ve used it to keep a MS Word document open on my iPad right in front of me while I do work on my main screen, with my laptop screen being used for auxiliary stuff like Spotify and file management.

When I did the same with extended displays, everything looked wrong on the iPad and it just wasn’t pleasant to use.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
so my airpods are here and i’m using them while working since i can answer with siri and stuff and have my hands free, also nice for when i’m doing other stuff and i gotta answer the phone, also using them with my steam deck.
They’re very comfortable indeed, overall i’m happy with them, I had tried a jabra product before but it wasn’t as comfortable.

anyway are new apple watches due to be announced in september?
I wanted to gift 2 of those to my parents, would be nice if new models were in September as I could gift them as a Christmas gift in December

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Dub and Le Pertti

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I love my Apple Watch. Useful for health reasons, obviously, but also very valuable for notifications as I can just glance at them on my wrist rather than looking at my phone's screen and inevitably becoming distracted by something else. If it's not important I can look at it later, but if it is then I can grab my phone.

If you're looking to change your style, don't pay through the nose for Apple's straps. I bought about 10-12 straps from AliExpress for about £2.50 each, and they're about 80-95% of the quality of Apple's first party ones, and once they're on your wrist you can't tell the difference. They took about a month to arrive, but were well worth the wait. I change mine once every week or so and it's nice to have a different accent of colour to compliment my outfits.

Speaking of Apple, I finally fixed my broken Home Assistant setup (it was on a Raspberry Pi) by doing a fresh install on my Unraid server, which I needed to revamp after one of the drives started to fail and I hadn't got around to setting up parity (doh!), so now it's all running on my home server. Home Assistant can act as a bridge for any HA-compatible addressable device that's not compatible with HomeKit. In the past I've hooked a PS4 up to it, an Xbox One S, but this time around what I've done is put my gaming PC on it as a Wake on LAN switch. I then forwarded this switch to HomeKit and use it as an automation on my Apple TV. I also added a TP Link Kasa smart plug to it which would otherwise not be HomeKit compatible.

For the gaming PC, when I run the "Play Gaming PC" scene on my TV (or my iPhone, iPad or Mac), HomeKit changes my (HomeKit enabled) LG TV's input to HDMI 4 (which is one of two HDMI 2.1 ports on my TV) and also flips the PC WOL switch, meaning I can switch my PC on from my Apple TV. My PC then boots into Playnite when Windows is fully loaded and I have a comfy couch setup. I posted the video showing this in the MetaSteam thread, but I thought I'd share it here too.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
I also have HDMI CEC enabled so I can switch on my PS5 by switching to HDMI 3, so that's also automated with its own scene.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
If you're looking to change your style, don't pay through the nose for Apple's straps. I bought about 10-12 straps from AliExpress for about £2.50 each, and they're about 80-95% of the quality of Apple's first party ones, and once they're on your wrist you can't tell the difference. They took about a month to arrive, but were well worth the wait. I change mine once every week or so and it's nice to have a different accent of colour to compliment my outfits.
Yeah no chance I’m paying 50 bucks for each strap.

Reactions: C-Dub
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
How accurate is the Stand 'sensor'? I got that I stood up at 2 am, which I don't remember doing, and I wouldn't be able to sleepwalk without making a mess lol

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
For some reason the Sleep Focus didn't work last night, it displayed 'no alarm' despite working correctly for the past week, and indeed the alarm didn't go off today, and the sleep focus didn't end at the usual time. What's going on? I didn't make any changes to it.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Are your day/time settings for the focus setup correctly? I remember I messed mine up on Sunday evening because I thought it meant Sunday morning and gave myself a later alarm on Monday morning because of it.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Are your day/time settings for the focus setup correctly? I remember I messed mine up on Sunday evening because I thought it meant Sunday morning and gave myself a later alarm on Monday morning because of it.
Yup, I haven't touched them since the first time I set them up. I quadrupled checked what might be going on but found nothing out of place.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
By the way, I'm getting a Duo charger ASAP, it's a pain in the ass having to fumble with multiple chargers and cables.

• This!
Reactions: Satori
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
So far I like my Apple Watch but the battery life is crap.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
My Airpods Pro won't stay in place while running :(

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
The regular Airpods are the only once that work for me.
I hate pretty much every other earbud iv tried.
I was tempted to buy a Gen 3 pair but honestly it would be a rather expensive experiment lol

Satori

Apr 5, 2022
Sweden
I was thinking about getting a Macbook air.. but with M1 ipad pros getting external support idk now..

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Welp, I scratched my AW screen
Sorry to hear that. They're really robust so you must've done something bad to scratch it!

I worked in retail when I last had an Apple Watch, and I scuffed and scratched it to hell and back as I was working in stock management. But it was still in decent nick after a few years and I sold it for a fair amount.

With my current Watch I work in an office so I never, ever get any damage to it.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Sorry to hear that. They're really robust so you must've done something bad to scratch it!

I worked in retail when I last had an Apple Watch, and I scuffed and scratched it to hell and back as I was working in stock management. But it was still in decent nick after a few years and I sold it for a fair amount.

With my current Watch I work in an office so I never, ever get any damage to it.
I brushed it against the wall and it wasn’t even thar hard!

• Sad
Reactions: C-Dub
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I'm throwing stuff away because I'm purging my belongings, I have two iPad boxes, one is the retail box and the other wan a slimmer, featureless box that I got when I sent the iPad for warranty repairs. I'm deciding which one I should throw away. The retail box is prettier but the Serial Number is no longer the same as they gave me a complete replacement. The other one does have the correct SN but well it might as well be a generic box.

Satori

Apr 5, 2022
Sweden
I want a new phone.. I want a bigger screen and i miss Face ID, (I got a iPhone SE)
But i guess i should wait for iPhone 14

Last edited:

spiel

Apr 17, 2019
My work-issued MacBook with 256GB storage is constantly running out of space, with either XCode or Docker being the culprits depending on what I'm running that day. Getting really sick of having to trim storage daily. I'm thinking of getting an external SSD but I'm not even sure if those applications can be moved there.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
My work-issued MacBook with 256GB storage is constantly running out of space, with either XCode or Docker being the culprits depending on what I'm running that day. Getting really sick of having to trim storage daily. I'm thinking of getting an external SSD but I'm not even sure if those applications can be moved there.
I have an external SSD and can’t imagine daily use without it. I don’t directly have apps on it but like Lightroom library and such is there and that saves so much space.

Reactions: spiel
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
It's like the fifth time I overslept because my Watch didn't vibrate at the scheduled time, fuck!

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
That doesn't sound good at all! I have scheduled sleep times on my iPhone so I never set my alarm and it has been perfect so that is what I would expect from the watch too.
I suspect I might be doing something wrong but I'm fed up and going back to regular alarms.

• Sad
Reactions: C-Dub and Le Pertti

Satori

Apr 5, 2022
Sweden
Sleep schedual without alarm and just use regular alarm is the way to go tbh. thats what i use.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I suspect I might be doing something wrong but I'm fed up and going back to regular alarms.
That's a shame, as the Watch alarm is really useful.

I'd definitely go back to a regular alarm until you've worked out what the issue is. Have you taken your device(s) to Apple to see if they know of a solution?

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
That's a shame, as the Watch alarm is really useful.

I'd definitely go back to a regular alarm until you've worked out what the issue is. Have you taken your device(s) to Apple to see if they know of a solution?
I think I sleep in some weird ass position and press the crown, which disables the alarm immediately after it would trigger.

• Sad
Reactions: Satori and C-Dub

Satori

Apr 5, 2022
Sweden
I dislike the Apple health app. the weight history is bad.
and all the third party ios health apps have subscriptions tied to them if you want to use history feature.
I have to use a third party app to show my steps on my watch. which i hope apple changes in the future.

Last edited:

Satori

Apr 5, 2022
Sweden
Le Pertti The Stepcounter++ is free with 1 time ad removal payment thankfully.
I switched over the the apple podcast app now.
Just need to figure out why my podcast wont auto pause when siri is ready to announce my workout progress.

• Eyes
Reactions: Le Pertti