Community Art, Pretty Things and the Artists Making Them.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The world is filled with amazing artists that don't get anywhere near the recognition and appreciation they deserve. Their art is often unseen and unsung. Hundreds of thousands of them are out there, on Artstation, DeviantArt, Twitter and other places. This thread is a humble attempt at showcasing their work and worlds.

On that note, the one I cannot help start with would be Paul Chadeisson (Artstation, Official Site). He's been a household name in the Concept Art world and his ability to elicit both a sense of scale and ridiculous amount of detail for a long time. Sci-fi, spaceships and mega-structures are his thing, to an extent that's both incredibly unique and believable. It should come as no surprise that he's worked on productions ranging from Kingsglaive to Blade Runner 2049 : Black Out 2022, Strike Vector and of course Cyberpunk 2077.

His stuff is honestly amazing and reminiscent of Tsutomu Nihei's megastructures, rendered and made tangible for us.

I'll try and post about those artists I loosely follow on a regular basis to try and share the pleasure of all these pretty pixels with you all. That being said, I would like to encourage you to share your own favorite ones in order to help expand each others horizon. There is no preconception as to what qualifies as art other than it being either intriguing or highly visual. Music and audio work are a little out of the scope of this thread for example, but movie miniatures aren't.

And that's it from me today, I look forward to seeing if this takes off or not, and sharing some more of my favorite artists!

Last edited:
OP
Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Various artists.
The last one had me stunned. I mean, we are talking about Trigger's and Gainax's Yoh Yoshinari. I hadn't known he'd worked on the Valkyrie Profile games as a character designer.

To say that he has contributed to animation's history would be like saying that Pixar has had a few things to do with animation and rendering. Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, FLCL are all things he's worked as a key animator on. Then there's his modest directing work, starting with Little Witch Academia. The Canipa Effect even featured him heavily in a documentary on Trigger.

I like Guweiz a lot as well, he's ridiculously good and his Artstation contains only a fraction of it and it seems his patreon and DeviantArt are where it's at.

I also could swear I already knew 廣岡政樹 (monkey85_kitako) but that's actually a new one. Thank you! I also in general know a lot less about "the old masters", and Pietro Perugino's work is certainly stunning to look at.

Finally, thanks for replying with so much art! Your posts on Discord are what motivated me to finally make this thread. All this PC98 goodness :).

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Nice thread! I usually don't any artist around social media but if I stumble upon any that I find interesting I'll share here.

Reactions: Swenhir

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Pietro Perugino's work is certainly stunning to look at.
I love early Renaissance linear perspective paintings. I've read somewhere that these old masters are skilled enough that they're able to draw perfect perspective sketches without guidelines, which is amazing to me. Yoshikazu Yoshihiko (The original Gundam's Lead Animator) is able to do this as well, to a lesser degree.
All this PC98 goodness
I have a few PC-98 games installed on my rig so I might be able to share some screenshots of my own soon.

Last edited:
  • Hug
Reactions: Li Kao and Swenhir
OP
Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The artists I'd like to showcase today are very, very hard to separate for me. They have both worked on one of the most iconic sci-fi franchise I can think of and their style is something that I can't get enough of. Rob Cunningham and Aaron Kambeitz were hugely contributing creators to the art style of Homeworld, and are now working at Blackbird Interactive, which will come to surprise to anyone knowing anything about these games. They heavily collaborated on creating the Remastered games as well as creating Deserts of Kharak, and are now heavily working on Homeworld 3 while simultaneously breaking away on Shipbreakers. Which reminds me, Chris Foss has to be next here sometime.

I find both of their work hard to separate from each other's in that they have influenced each other and is rarely attributed to them individually - or even to other concept artists having worked alongside them, David Cheong comes to mind for example. Even so, the art on display is nothing short of stunning, and was even more so in 1999. The old end credits are filled to the brim with pen-drawn concepts and I can only hope I am not misattributing it. Rob and Aaron both have a fascination with heavy machinery, with industrial tooling and implements of ballistic destruction that is amazingly realized in these pieces. Everything in Homeworld made sense and felt grounded in reality thanks to it.

It came to no surprise that the industrial-looking baserunner was one of the first pieces to come out of BBI even when DoK was Hardware, a facebook game. It doesn't quite stop there though, and Homeworld truly established a sci-fi landscape that Homeworld 2 refined to a polished gleam with ship designs and scenes that remain iconic to this day. Homeworld 3 looks to be pushing that style even further and I cannot wait to see what they'll design and create. The early interceptor stuff is already stunning in style.

Rob Cunningham's stuff is usually stunning and his early pen-drawn pieces are just amazing at capturing my imagination :

Aaron Kambeitz himself did pieces that I found as amazing as their imagination was striking

The next pieces are hard to individually attribute but they certainly belong with either of these amazing artists.

Then there's the newer stuff that's come out of BBI and while I can't attribute it to any individual artist, I have no doubt these two have had a hand in steering the art direction and aesthetic of it, even if I'd like to know who actually painstakingly took his pen to the tablet. Karl Gryc (Art Director, Artstation, his DoK vehicle designs are the stuff), Jonathan Blessin (Artstation, again amazing industrial sci-fi designs), and Stephen Mokrytzki (Artstation and again, great vehicle design) are names that came up. These are still, for a lack of better words, pure BBI and Cunningham/Kambeitz, industrial-looking sci-fi goodness.

The jump in style and quality since Deserts of Kharak is clear, and I can only encourage you to take a look at The Art of Homeworld if you can get your hands on it. Desert of Kharak's built-in documentary also shipped with copies of the game if I recall, if you are interested in seeing more of their amazing work.

Last edited:

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
I was organizing some books in my house and it made me finally search for the artist who made the Brazilians covers for the Sprawl trilogy:

Josan Gonzalez

Josan also did artworks for the Cyberpunk 2077 steelbooks:

OP
Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I was organizing some books in my house and it made me finally search for the artist who made the Brazilians covers for the Sprawl trilogy:

Josan Gonzalez

Josan also did artworks for the Cyberpunk 2077 steelbooks:

Those are seriously amazing and his AS page is just mind-boggling. I wonder what that art style is called, it's very reminiscent of 70-90's european comics and artists like Moebius.

OP
Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I usually follow figure sculptors. Here's some works of Oyama Ryu:
Those are amazingly good! Thank you for linking, I had figured sculptures might fit but I certainly wasn't expecting it as soon as page 1.
Raita Kazama is XenobladeX/Brigandine character artist.
Those are all wonderful but the last one really gets me in particular. The nearly monochromatic tint of those prints is amazing, this is a case study in using values.

• Comfy
  • Love
Reactions: Kvik and Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Those are amazingly good! Thank you for linking, I had figured sculptures might fit but I certainly wasn't expecting it as soon as page 1.
Well, you may have already noticed... I have been spamming the anime figurine thread lately. It's my passion.

I am rather hesitant to turn this into an anime thread so I haven't posted my favorites yet. Maybe later. :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

• Comfy

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
Also, be careful when browsing @yoshi55level tweets while at work because they often RT'd H-artists.
there's one reason I follow that artist, the other is the Raikou art

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
@ElegantSuzuki is Yasushi Suzuki, the illustrator of Yomi wo Saku Hana (Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi), the upcoming DRPG from Experience, coming to Steam later this year. Check out their cover illustration for the Japanese edition of George R.R. Martin's A Dance with Dragons as well.

OP
Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Today is a bit of a departure from the previous artists, but it kind of fits with a sunny Sunday. Ready for something cute and colorful?

Gosia Arska (Artstation) is a polish visual development artist who has apparently mastered lighting, values and colors, posing and telling a story inside of a frame with a skill I can only dream of. They are also immensely good at drawing anthropomorphized, adorable animals, so of course I'm in. They are now working at Dreamworks TV and honestly, I hope I can get to see some of what they are working on because their gallery suggests a thousand stories and they all seem ridiculously wholesome.

And that's about it for today. I have many, many more artists I'd love to showcase and I will try to get to them, one at a time. Keep them coming too! It's a pleasure seeing them all and their incredible work.

OP
Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I like sci-fi and today Dofresh (Artstation, Twitter) meticulously unhinged my jaw from the rest of my face.

He's a french concept artist and illustrator that knows his spaceships, his megastructures and is absolutely amazing at eliciting this 70-80's mood. His work on Infinite Space in particular is remarkable, but limiting his range to those would be doing him a disservice. Take a look at his Artstation to get an idea of just what he can do, even if my preference lies more in those directions.

All in all, another mind-blowingly good concept artist :).

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Oh yes. Oh very, very yes. He's my favorite Dune illustrator too! Look at that!

hahaha you quoted before I edited my post xD.

His work for Dune is incredible, he was able to take parts of the books and translated perfectly to an image.

• This!

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Recently I finished again Disco Elysium, and one of the things that always caught my attention was the Thought Cabinet and it's art:

It's something that disgust and also makes you curious a mix of horror and awe.

The artist who did this piece is Anton Vill an Estonian who also did concept art for Mad Max: Fury Road

OP
Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Recently I finished again Disco Elysium, and one of the things that always caught my attention was the Thought Cabinet and it's art:
It's something that disgust and also makes you curious a mix of horror and awe.

The artist who did this piece is Anton Vill an Estonian who also did concept art for Mad Max: Fury Road
Thanks for figuring out who was behind those amazing pieces! His art is deeply disturbing, but it's also making me hopeful. There's not one right path or right vision for art, doing what you feel is right for you really is the only proper way to go. He really illustrates that.

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Holy fuck. That's... Amazing.

Also, sorry, I have a laundry list of artists to showcase but I've been both busy and really down on energy. It's coming though!

I hope.
No need to worry about it. If anything this thread made me pay attention to all thess awesome artists that I could stumble around the internet while really not paying tru attention to them.

• Comfy
  • Hug
Reactions: Kvik and Swenhir

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Sculpting in general is something that I can't comprehend. You had that marble block or a piece of wood and the artist sculpted it into another thing, one mistake and the material is done.

• This!
Reactions: Kvik and Swenhir

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Thomas DuBois