Community Art, Pretty Things and the Artists Making Them.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I wanted to post about my favourite artists but found it hard to select paintings that are really representative of their work without spending ages going through it all to avoid posting too much.

But I wanted to share them for a while now, so here's a start, the latest personal painting by Luisa Preissler:

I'll just try to post them as I see them instead of doing a whole slew of art.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I've wanted to for a while, but I finally had the money and motivation to pull the trigger. I'm gonna learn to draw. Lots of things, and lots of practice. Not just Girls and stuff like my beginning reference books here suggest lol. I also want to draw military things, like guns and tanks. I want to draw landscapes and spooky things. I want to draw Cyberpunk things too...

That said, I'm a total beginner. So I'll start by drawing lots of shapes over and over and over and over, and trying to learn perspective and all that. I sense many Youtube tutorials in my days ahead.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I've wanted to for a while, but I finally had the money and motivation to pull the trigger. I'm gonna learn to draw. Lots of things, and lots of practice. Not just Girls and stuff like my beginning reference books here suggest lol. I also want to draw military things, like guns and tanks. I want to draw landscapes and spooky things. I want to draw Cyberpunk things too...

That said, I'm a total beginner. So I'll start by drawing lots of shapes over and over and over and over, and trying to learn perspective and all that. I sense many Youtube tutorials in my days ahead.

Good luck!

Drawing was something that I loved to do while growing up.

• Hug
Reactions: 「Echo」

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever

Just my very first uhm dexterity exercises and fundamentals. No rulers, no guides, no pen stabilization.

Basic shapes and extending them from 2d to 3d by eyeball/feel. So it is not to impressive, but still, this is an important part of starting to draw even digitally. I still have a long way to go to get used to pen pressure.

I haven't gotten to proper perspective lessons just yet. A lot of that seems like Geometry maths. :eek:
I'm gonna try to do 2-4 hours of practice/learning/drawing every evening Mon - Fri and use weekends to chill so i don't get burned out. :thumbsupblob:
Hopefully you guys don't mind it too much if i just post my scribbles lol as progress updates.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Hopefully you guys don't mind it too much if i just post my scribbles lol as progress updates.
I don’t know about in several months and X updates but I can assure you that for now I’m just delighted by your project and seeing it evolve. Like Panda Pedinte I’m nostalgic about this activity we all enjoyed as kids and a little salty I stopped.
Creative life would be so much better if I could produce art.

Oh, a little question if you don’t mind. How much for the tablet ?

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Oh, a little question if you don’t mind. How much for the tablet ?
Amazon product
This is the one I picked up, the medium bundle. Amazon had it on a lightning deal, and I figured "why not?" I paid $230, all said and done. I'm really happy with it. Feels good to draw on, and it came with everything you could need to start. (Two different pens, wireless dongle, 10 replacement tips, a drawing glove, etc...)

The drivers/software are good too. Xencelabs is made up of former Wacom employees. :giggle:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I sometimes look at tablets, but it's hard to put money down on something that you are not sure you are going to use a lot.

I'll probably eventually grab one though if I ever get serious enough about sculpting and modeling crap in blender.

Reactions: Li Kao

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
They take time to get used to and there's some thought and tweaking required to get them seup how you want them but once you do they are great. I actually got work to buy me a Wacom Bamboo tablet long ago to help with my RSI and it worked a treat. Years later when Anker made their vertical mouse for £15 and i started using that more one of the women in the office asked if she could try the tablet and she still uses it to this day.
I think i had to dig out the details so work could buy a replacement for her a year or two ago.

So they aren't just good for illustration etc.

I was tempted to try and borrow a couple of the tablets they use at work to test them but i have spotted my Wacom box down on a shelf so i might dig it out tonight and try it. It's an old Wacom Bamboo medium i think but it's still more than good enough for me i reckon. I keep getting tempted by an expensive jobbie with the screen but i'd have to make sure i was dedicated to relearning my drawing to invest that much.

Last edited:
  • This!

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Same here, I figured I shouldn't invest in a $500+ one with a screen until i can prove to myself that I stick with it long enough to get confident and all that.

For example I was looking at the XP-Pen 22, mainly cuz Yoclesh reviewed and recommended this one. And watching her art-streams all the time was one of the biggest inspirations to finally pull the trigger and try it out myself. But yeah... I thought to myself I should work and prove to myself it's actually gonna be worth the investment first before I go all out.

Maybe someday when I'm super good or become an art-god (lol) I will need one with a screen. But for now, I like my current tablet. :giggle:

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Some new practice to show. As the tweet says, gimme all your criticisms if you have any! (or tips!) Let me know if any poses seem weird or hard to understand the direction of limbs and such. Also let me know if you think any proportions are way off.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Jeez your training gives very nice results.
As for criticisms…

2 has weird proportions ? It feel like the legs are far closer to me than the arms, maybe intentional, but weird.
5 maybe right upper leg should be bigger ? As is stands at first glance I would have said left leg is in front. Hmm, I guess it really depends on the precise position of the character.
6 again, not sure about each leg proportion.

Hey you wanted feedback, I’m happy to give it to you, but keep in mind I’m no expert and some of these criticisms are nitpicky.
Impressive job ! :kissing-face-with-smiling-eyes:

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Jeez your training gives very nice results.
As for criticisms…

2 has weird proportions ? It feel like the legs are far closer to me than the arms, maybe intentional, but weird.
5 maybe right upper leg should be bigger ? As is stands at first glance I would have said left leg is in front. Hmm, I guess it really depends on the precise position of the character.
6 again, not sure about each leg proportion.

Hey you wanted feedback, I’m happy to give it to you, but keep in mind I’m no expert and some of these criticisms are nitpicky.
Impressive job ! :kissing-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Thanks!

2's PoV/Camera angle was such that it was almost touching the floor, so the eye level was maybe calf height. The model was turned around and so yes, the legs were much closer than her arms. This is good news to me that you can tell, because that means i captured the essence correctly.

For 5 i accidentally messed up the red hip, it should be visible inside the pelvis circle (since that hip/leg was away from the camera) and i didn't fill in the rest properly after tracing the green skeleton lines.

I know 6 looks a bit weird without skin. The legs were tucked really tight together.

But i'm just glad in general it seems i got the important stuff right. :giggle:

• Comfy
  • Love
Reactions: Kvik and Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019

Finally something new to post. Drawing the darn ammo boxes in perspective was the hardest part ironically. Because i don't have much experience in that area just yet for 1, and 2 I didn't use any guides or rulers. o_O
Bahgawd, you know what ? I don't have anything to criticize.
Well ok, I lie, if you want to be ultra bitching, the back of the lower right knife is just a little too irregular.
But then again the M249 and ammo boxes are beauties.

This is seriously good, kudos !

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Oliver Frey died this week. Many people around during the 8 & 16bit computer era probably forgot about him or didn't realise who he was until they see his art. He was responsible for many of the magazine covers for publications like Crash and ZZap 64 and i know i spent hours looking at them and i know he inspired many, many artists in the comic and cover art sphere.

Rest in peace.

Here they are in context as cover art pieces.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I still love Olivers work to this day. Being a commodore kid at the time I always loved the covers to Zzap 64.

Nowadays, a lot like the artwork posers from Movies, it is a lost artform and I think that the medium is just a little bit worse without them.

Now I wonder if the is a book collection of the covers?

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Been a bit since my last update. Life has been quite hectic as some of you know. But I've slowly been getting back to it. Most update is this.

Also opened a Ko-fi. :thinking-face: Not that I have anything to show off atm, and no skills/confidence to take commissions. But current situation is such that... Urgh. I'm in a tight spot, so I just opened it now instead of down the road on the off chance people who pass by my art posts on twitter feel generous.

But the important part is that I'm still trucking along and doing my best to pack my brain with the building blocks/skill set.

• Hug
Reactions: lashman