Community Backlog Blitz Season 10 - Runs January 1 through March 31 with a raffle at the end

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Finished Valfaris, which is fourth Blitz game. It's surprisingly that I almost got all games finished in the first month of the season. Its mostly because I chose shorter games and not long JRPG games this time.
Just started Grime. I am not sure what to say about this game yet. So far it doesn't feel like a souls like game

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Completed Assassin's Creed Syndicate. So that's three Blitz games and definitely my three longest done with Kara no Shoujo 2, Atelier Rorona DX, and now Syndicate. The final two games, Sly 3 and Mega Man X6, should be a fair bit shorter so I think I'll hold off rushing through them and play some other stuff before going back to them.

Syndicate was good but Unity was better. They largely break even on the gameplay side of things for me but the story, characters, and presentation of Unity felt superior. It also may have ultimately been harder (probably because the zipline meant you could just fly away from any danger and hide in Syndicate). But glad to be done with that as now I'm essentially prepared to finally hop into the newer style of Assassin's Creed the next time I play one (sort of, I'll likely knock out another Chronicles game first).
Finished Murder By Numbers (game #2) and it took me ~34h, which is a mix of VN with picross.
Never would I have thought in the beggining it would take this long. The game isn't bad but it's not exactly good either, mostly because I'm not a fan of visual novels and the game has a heavier focus on it than I imagined. The puzzles themselves are fine although I wish they were a bit harder because, as it stands, I only found a couple at the very end to be headscratchers.
It's a weird mix that I'm not sure who it's target audience is because I think VN fans will be annoyed by the puzzles and puzzle fans, like me, will dread the amount of nonsensical dialogue they'll have to skip through. Final score: 5.
Just realized I didn't see your name or games on the spreadsheet. Don't forget to use the link in the opening post to add yourself to properly be included for tracking!
Gonna do at least Guardians of the Galaxy this quarter and Final Fantasy VII, for sure.
Figured I'd look to see if anyone else was missing and looks like you haven't joined the Sheet yet either. Figure you will since you've participated before but just a reminder so you don't forget by the end.

Last edited:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
With Hitman 3 steam release being kind of expensive and messy all around, and having just finished all of H2 achievements finally, I think I'm going to actually play a blitz game next. Going to install Grow Home and Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, not sure which I'll play first though.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
I finished my second blitz game which I didn't listed, but the second game which I played was "Little Witch Nobeta". A souls like game with cute anime characters instead of dark and gritty style we know soul games to be like. I didn't play it on the original difficulty though, since this game is my first entry into souls game. It was still enough challenging for me, and the game was quite good. Though it only had three bosses, and an optional boss to take on if you so wish. Seems like this game will have an official release in this year too, but as I see it only one more boss will be added to it as also voice over on the dialogs.

I will still count this game as finished but I will perhaps back trace the dungeons to scour treasure chest I missed to unlock few more achievements ;)

As for the third game, I will see what I'll pick :)

• Comfy
Reactions: Parsnip

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I made a rather spur of the moment unplanned purchase late last night in Expeditions Rome so I'm going to add that to my list.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Just a reminder that we're at three weeks in and our prize pool is still the base $20.42. Never required but if anyone wants to chip in for the prize it can be done using the following:

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Finished Legends of Ethernal, that's #2 down.
I ended up liking it quite a bit by the end, actually. It's good.

I also put Superliminal as gmae #5 down for now and switched out Control with Virgo Versus the Zodiac.
Went back to Surge 2 for now. Still digging it a lot! But man, performance in this game is really, really bad compared to how mediocre it looks.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Finished Kiwami 2 a couple days ago. Took me ~31h and I'd rate it as a 8.
I wrote some thoughts about it and the other yakuza games here.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Finished my big Brutii campaign in Rome total war remaster. The game is still fun but it's definitely aged in many aspects and I found myself missing a lot of the newer games' features and QOL changes especially as the campaign dragged on and each turn became watching every country's individual army units, spies, merchants and diplomats move one by one. The performance was also pretty rough as the game went on but in very random ways. Like it'd be running ~120fps on the map then you click one of your units and it drops as low as 10-20fps as it struggles to load a handful of unit cards for some unknown reason.

I'm still slowly moving through Death Stranding. The game is really bizarre in that there are times where I think it's surprisingly kinda fun to play but then one of the survival elements kicks in, or you run into a BT zone, and it annoys the hell out of me. Having to crouch and move slow while the rain eats away at my cargo, running into a BT because it's hard to see their precise spot, then trying to run away from the big...whatever the hell that black sludge whale thing is, only to get temporarily caught and drop everything and try to pick it all back up while running away at the same time is total chaos and not fun at all.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Good progress is being made!
I finished Superliminal, that's #3. That was really good. I loved all the perspective fuckery. Lots of cool puzzles and visuals.

And afterwards I took up Virgo Versus the Zodiac again.
I finished the first area/chapter at ~3 hours and overall it's great fun. There's a lot of depth in the combat and equipment once you get the hang of it. Story is a bit of a mixed bag so far, mainly because you're more or less just dropped into this very alien setting in medias res and personally I just don't have a good grasp on things yet.

It's similar with the combat. The game has unique combat system and additionally has its own terminology for almost everything combat related.
Health and Shield are Hearts and Purity, damage types are Cardinal, Mutable and Fixed, which get affected by the primary stats Ambition, Versatility and Patience (who also effect Hearts and Purity in their own way), Destiny, Cuteness, etc.
That alone already is a hell of a lot to take in, so the game smartly limits your attack options in the beginning to the "basics" and gives you more gear/skills (they're kind of the same) over time.
However, fights are also really hard at the beginning. Your stats are low, you don't have many options and the quick time events that power up your attacks/reduce damage of enemy attacks are really unforgiving. I've had a much better time once I've turned the quick time events to "easy" (but kept enemy strength on normal, thankfully you can change this individually).
Things get easier as you gain levels, equipment and skills and I think by now I have a good enough grasp of all the systems and terminology, so putting the quick time event difficulty back would be fine, but the difficulty curve feels really backwards at the beginning.

It's a really cool game so far, but the barrier of entry is really high.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
First game of the year, Maneater finished.
A little long in tooth by the end of it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it's goofy premise and Chris Parnell's voice-over the entire time. I'd love to see this kind of effort put into other non-human RPGs because everything felt really well done - the swimming and controls were smooth and easy to pick up and master.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Finished the first episode of Tell Me Why. Honestly not too impressed so far so I am swapping it out for Sound of Drop - fall into poison -.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Finished the first episode of Tell Me Why. Honestly not too impressed so far so I am swapping it out for Sound of Drop - fall into poison -.
I was disappointed with Tell Me Why and I don't think anything changes enough to make it worth going further if you weren't into it up to that point.

Sound of Drop also wasn't all that great but I guess ultimately I had a better time with it? But I do know others like it more so maybe you'll really dig it?

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I was disappointed with Tell Me Why and I don't think anything changes enough to make it worth going further if you weren't into it up to that point.

Sound of Drop also wasn't all that great but I guess ultimately I had a better time with it? But I do know others like it more so maybe you'll really dig it?
Yeah. I thought the ending of episode 1 was intended to be shocking but somehow I felt numb. I am not invested enough into the characters to care about who did what.

Let's see if I will be able to get into Sound of Drop. It has been sitting in the backlog for a long time haha.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Yeah. I thought the ending of episode 1 was intended to be shocking but somehow I felt numb. I am not invested enough into the characters to care about who did what.

Let's see if I will be able to get into Sound of Drop. It has been sitting in the backlog for a long time haha.
Yeah, it felt like they expected the emotional moments to really hit hard for the player or be surprised by some of the reveals and they fell completely flat for me and most anything that's a reveal I think I was able to see coming and just shrugged past it. It doesn't help that I think the acting is really mixed quality, too. Lastly, the twins "power" also felt like it did the thing some adventure games did where I'd pick a choice expecting one thing and the resulting conversation and path did not match what I thought it was going to do and then I just got frustrated.

• This!
Reactions: Cacher

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Finished Grime and it will be the fifth and final game I have finished in this season. The game is a lot of fun. I can see why it's a souls like now. The boss fights were difficult but managable. Some took many tries to defeat them. I did almost everything in the game, finding all abilities, weapons and such. The game is recommended :)

• Comfy
Reactions: Parsnip

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Finished my last 2 games over the weekend:
Aragami (6h) - Had somewhat high hopes for this one and was let down. Still finished it mostly because jumping between shadows from the beggining to the end of each level is so easy that all I had to do was endure the boredom. Add the invisibility on demand skill and you get one stealth game that requires no tactics or thought. Tried going the assassin/killer route and it's impossible due to AI glitches and some inexplicably long sight lines that only apply to corpses for some reason... Score: 4.
TOHU (4h) - Thought it would be longer but it ended up being a short and sweet P&C game with an adorable main character in a unique world. Score: 7.

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Finished Shadow Warrior 2, it's better than Doom 2016 in every single way, there are so many weapons and upgrades you can tailor your combat style to your preferences, you can even play without having to kite. Get it now while it's cheap.

That's 3 out of 5.

Reactions: xinek

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finished Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet.
It's fine but I hate some of the map design, the one way routes in particular. Also it's one of those games where you kind of don't need to kill anything so at some point it's often just faster to just dodge the enemies and race to next checkpoint.
2 of 5 done.

Involution

Aug 24, 2020
I don't know why but I felt like playing a Kirby game so I started Star Allies as a blitz title earlier in the week. Super fun game and great for couch co-op. Fun to mix and experiment with all the ability combos.

Kirby games haven't been anywhere near difficult since...maybe the SNES? This is probably the easiest of all the games I've played. If you're looking to die, look elsewhere.

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
I totally forgot to provide an update.

Finished Nier Replicant & FF8 last month. I have since finished FF9, too and moved onto replaying FF12 for the umpteenth time. Doing the PC version this time around, though.

FF8 Remastered (PC) - I had a very hard time getting used to the 15 FPS animation during combat since there are no higher fps interpolation mods available for 8 unlike 7. Resorted to using the speed up function most of the time. The opening first few hours of the game are horribly paced with nothing of interest happening. The first boss fight is long & boring, immediately followed up a chase sequence where you have to fight another optional boss multiple times in order to run away from the battle. I have no issues with the gameplay mechanics, however, it is extremely grindy since you have to constantly draw out spells from enemies and the games wants you to have at least 90+ of whatever spell you junction for stats boosts. I've heard some folks say that there's a risk-reward system because you'll be forced to use spells in battle that will end up reducing your stats mid-battle, but I did not find that to be the case at all. There are plenty of "throw-away" spells that provide large enough stat boosts. You can have a 100 stack of these spells junctioned to whatever stat you want and completely forget about them, while you focus on drawing out and using more useful spells. Not fan of the final boss, either. Too many phases. I appreciate the level-scaling system, even though it is a bit whack sometimes. I've had some bosses where their level was 20 during the first fight & then 30 when I had to re-fight them, even though my party level was exactly the same.

Nier Replicant - I'm not the biggest fan of Automata and the same applies here for Replicant. There are no doubt some interesting bits/scenes when going for all the endings (which I did), but having to slog through the half of the game over and over again wasn't enjoyable. I ended up using a speedhack instead to speed things up after the second ending. Yoko Taro games are just not my cup of tea. The one I enjoyed the most was Drakengard 2 for the PS2, although he had little involvement in that game, lol. I also haven't played it since the PS2 days, so not sure if I'd still hold the same opinion. Maybe I'll go through the Drakengard series again in the near future.

Last edited:
Reactions: MegaApple

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I have finished The Surge 2! Only one left now.
Very good overall. The combat is just super satisfying, lots of stuff to find, mostly good level design with lots of unlockable shortcuts (the only bad area imo is A.I.D. Command, I had a lot of trouble navigating that one, but the others are all good).
Story is whatever, graphically it's pretty meh, and the hardware requirements are pretty bad. But that didn't really stop me from having fun.

Reactions: xinek and Derrick01

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I finished death stranding. Surprisingly I was having a good enough time up to about chapter 6 or 7 and then the game takes a plummet off the earth in quality where it becomes mostly cutscenes, linear areas and boss fights. By the last chapter or two I was skipping cutscenes because I simply had enough of this godawful story.

Overall I'd give the game a 6/10. If they could reign in kojima's idiocy in the future, and have the boldness to not shoehorn a bad 3rd person shooter into a game that clearly didn't mean to have it, they may have something impressive here.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
I just finished "ENSLAVED: Odyssey to the West"
Must say it was quite good. Not the gameplay but the story. It was a nice spin using the classic story about Journey to the West. But here's now in post apocalyptic world. It was a bit short though and as I know of, it was supposed to receive a sequel which never happened.

Now with this game done I'm down three games with two left to go. Dunno what to play as the next one though, so I'll think about it I guess :)

Reactions: kio

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Zero Time Dilemma is over, its entertaining and there's no way to comment it without spoiling it, and thats 5/5 for this season.

Involution

Aug 24, 2020
Zero Time Dilemma is over, its entertaining and there's no way to comment it without spoiling it, and thats 5/5 for this season.
What's your ranking for the trilogy? Useful info for someone who played the first 2 games but heard the third was crap.

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
What's your ranking for the trilogy? Useful info for someone who played the first 2 games but heard the third was crap.
Never played any of the other games, now they are on my wishlist.
I've played other VNs before but never one that "forces" you to choose every possible decision.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I've played other VNs before but never one that "forces" you to choose every possible decision.
An odd choice to play the third game in a trilogy first but glad you liked it. ZTD is often hated by fans of the first two games so perhaps you'll love those first two or maybe without those experiences you'll like what ZTD does much more than how the first two are?

I've played around 1.5 of the games in that series but have a plan to go through all three this year so I'll finally see what ZTD is all about.

You might also enjoy Danganronpa if you haven't played them. Ultimately quite a bit different but usually fans of one like the other.

Involution

Aug 24, 2020
Definitely strange to play the 3rd game first but at least you liked it!

I'm in a minority (or maybe the only one) that likes 999 more than VLR, not that anybody asked lol. Curious to see what your ranking might be once you finish the trilogy.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Definitely strange to play the 3rd game first but at least you liked it!

I'm in a minority (or maybe the only one) that likes 999 more than VLR, not that anybody asked lol. Curious to see what your ranking might be once you finish the trilogy.
Hey, I also liked 999 the most out of the trilogy.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
VLR’s my favourite, but 999 is excellent. ZTD… well… it’s not bad.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finished Supraland! It's pretty good. I don't own the DLC so I'll leave that for later. Will probably launch the main game once tomorrow to clean up couple of achievements, but that's 3 of 5 done.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
Finished 4th game which was Indivisible. Kind of a action/turn-based RPG. It had a quite promising start, it has elements which triggered some nostalgic feelings in me from the time I played lots of RPGs. But the game fell short on a quite bland, but at first it was interesting, battle system. The problem I felt with the battle system is that it mostly about mashing buttons. With keyboard you mash WASD, up and down. And with a gamepad mash all the buttons and up and down. Beautiful art work though, but was varying quality and it felt it wasn't the same person who drew the characters.

One game left to play for this blitz. I wonder what I should pick to play? :face-with-open-mouth:

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I'm still sitting on Sly 3 and Mega Man X6 as my last two. Thankfully they're not super long or anything and I've been playing a lot of longer games this year so they'll be nice and easy to get through. But right now all my time is focused on Horizon Forbidden West (which is quite long, too, looking like it'll take me 60+ hours if not quite a lot more).

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Finished Cyberpunk. It's a shame they messed up so hard on the world and mechanics because the missions are pretty good and the dialog and character interactions were surprisingly engaging for the most part. I'm so used to wrpgs having static conversations where at most characters' heads will bobble and their eyes maybe shift side to side but in this you have full mocap going on in standard conversations and characters will even make faces depending on how they take what you're saying to them. They'll drink or smoke and do other little things while conversing, just little touches that add to the immersion of the overall game that I appreciated.

For a sequel I hope they keep it in night city and go all out on making it feel more alive and have more things to do than drive from mission to mission. They have a foundation in place to have something that can live up to their hype for the first game.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I started Binary Domain the other day. What a tonally strange game.
But I guess it makes sense considering who made it.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
And now I have finished Binary Domain, that's 4/5 done. It's alright.
Kind of wasn't expecting it to have multiple team mates and multiple endings.
What a strange game overall too, and from a different time. I can just imagine someone at Sega saying that we need to make a 3rd person shooters, those Americans love them. Lets put the Yakuza devs on it.

Also I'm going to swap Sunless Sea out as my last game and swap Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun in.
:longswordblob:

Reactions: Derrick01
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
My time was sucked up by long games or stuff I still haven't completed but I finished Forbidden West after over 80 hours so I finally got back to my last two Blitz games. Mega Man X6 is now complete. It's fine. It has some creative and fairly neat level design in places (levels often really feel unique), the Nightmare stuff I didn't mind as much as I thought I might, the robot weapons you get have a nice mix, and some real good challenge in spots, often associated with special areas. The bad is how easy some of it was, how poorly designed certain sections were, and how restrictive it could be in what you needed to be successful. Glad it's done though as that knocks out another less liked game in the series and only have two more X games before I can finally try out the Zero/ZX games.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I'm almost done with Shadow Tactics. It's neat and kind of makes me want to check out some of the games that inspired it.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Finished Chorus aka Chorvs. It was a pretty typical thq nordic game as in it's fine but nothing special or memorable. Despite being a roughly 10 hour game it was actually getting a bit repetitive near the end.

My Blitz is now finished though!

Reactions: lashman
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Finally returned to my final game of this Blitz, Sly 3. It definitely feels a lot like they just took the structure of Sly 2 and so far improved upon it. We'll see how that continues because in Sly 2 the missions were pretty quick and fun in the first episode or two but as it went on they got longer needlessly (often making you repeat the same thing multiple times on damn near every mission). This could end up doing that as well. Finished the first episode and most all of the optional stuff through that. I plan to go through at least one episode each night so I'll finish it on the weekend at the latest.

Already starting to consider what will be in the Blitz next time. Currently considering Sly 4, Mega Man X7, Assassin's Creed Chronicles India, Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, and 428: Shibuya Scramble. A couple of those are pretty much locked down in my head so some might change but those are looking fairly likely.

Reactions: Derrick01

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun is done, and with that my blitz is done. :longswordblob2:

It's neat, but I kind of feel like it should have more paths through the levels. Like, the crew has plenty of different types of tools at their disposal but usually there's just not that many ways to solve an obstacle.

Time start thinking about the next blitz.
No theme this time either, just going to pick some games that have been on my mind lately for one reason or another.
The Swapper, Paradise Killer, Infinifactory, Prince of Persia 08 and Frozen Synapse are on my current list, but not 100% locked yet.

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
It's neat, but I kind of feel like it should have more paths through the levels. Like, the crew has plenty of different types of tools at their disposal but usually there's just not that many ways to solve an obstacle.
Gonna have to disagree here. There are multiple approaches in every level. They're just not easy to find or discover and also requires experimenting with each characters abilities. Honestly, this is my first time hearing someone say that Shadow Tactics doesn't offer enough paths or approaches, lol.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Gonna have to disagree here. There are multiple approaches in every level. They're just not easy to find or discover and also requires experimenting with each characters abilities. Honestly, this is my first time hearing someone say that Shadow Tactics doesn't offer enough paths or approaches, lol.
Agree to disagree then.

I felt like every problem had 1 or 2 solutions, and at most two literal paths forward.

Last edited:
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Forgot to update last night that I finished Sly 3. Easily my favorite of the trilogy and anyone that claims the second game is better hasn't played them since release and is 100% wrong. It's impossible to fathom how someone would prefer the second game. But Sly 3 was quite fun and had some surprising variety that was neat. Got the platinum trophy, which is a bit frustrating, but still a fun time overall.

And that's game 5 of 5. Now I'm ready for the next Blitz!

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I've been real bad at giving periodic reminders and updates in this thread this time. I still got through all five of my games and hopefully the rest of you did too! But nobody chipped into the prize this time and discussion was a bit low so hopefully you all were successful.

Today is the final day! Make sure you update the tracker as I'll do the raffle sometime after midnight my time (probably in around 20 hours to be realistic). So make sure you wrap up any final games and update the tracker! It's the final time!

The new thread will go up tomorrow around the time of the raffle as well. As per usual you can start discussing your next picks here but just be prepared for the new thread if you prefer to wait.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
My worst quarter in quite a while. Having to restart Metro Exodus due to a save bug killed my urge for backlog clearing.

What is the pot at right now?