Community Backlog Blitz Season 18 - Runs January 1 through March 31 with a cash prize raffle at the end

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Also I'm swapping out starfield in my list for TLOU part 1. No time for something as long as that.
I’d just take Starfield out of your backlog completely. It isn’t worth your (or anyone’s) time.

• Toucan
Reactions: Derrick01

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
After 100h+ Elden Ring finally done. Honestly I couldn't wait for it to end after a month playing it.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Finished 2 games over the weekend

Souldiers (~35h - Steam Deck) - In the store it's labeled as a metroidvania but I think calling it an action platformer is much more correct. There's some very light exploration and backtracking but since every level is instanced and self contained you'll only ever return to previous zones if you want to and to find a couple of secrets, there's zero backtracking in the critical path. I liked what I played, the game is very pretty and the music and sound is also well done. The major problem I had with it, and I'm seemingly not alone in this judging by the reviews I skimmed through, was the combat. More often than not it devolves into frantic button mashing and hoping the enemy doesn't hit you (and take a quarter of your hp....). Against isolated enemies it works fine enough but against groups of 3 or more it's always a fight for your life. And then there are the bosses against who'll have to die a few times just to see what their first set of attacks are like and then you'll need to die a few more times to understand what their second set of attacks, that they unlock after reaching 50% hp, are like, so it devolves into a battle of attrition. Overall it's a good game but maybe play it on a lower difficulty setting than I did (I played on the 2nd highest, which seems to be the intended experience).

Horizon's Gate (~38h - Desktop PC) - I'll start with a bit of a rant, so please bear with me. It's sad that rpgs of this quality, and smaller indie games in general, don't get any attention and while in other threads the conversations seem to revolve constantly around persona or final fantasy or some sort of square nonsense that'll get 200 post every other week, gems like this fall through the cracks and aren't even acknowledged. Here's hoping my little vent will inspire someone to try this game, or any other by Rad Cortex as they are all great must-play rpgs.
This game continues the story of the previous 2 in a different timeline and in a much more open setting. Mechanically it's more or less the same as the other 2 but a little bit more complex and with more depth and options. The "free-form" character progression remains there and it's better than ever with more classes, skills and spells to chose from. Everything seems to be a lot more balanced than previously which is great as the amount of viable builds increased exponentially. Apart from that the story is interesting, the enemy variety is vast, it's hard and will keep you on your toes constantly (although the difficulty is completely tweakable) and gives you the freedom to do whatever you want. All the thumbs up in the world for this game and I can't wait to see how they evolve the formula next.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Tlou done and platinum'd. It's still an enjoyable game but when you still remember every bit of the story it makes it a bit harder to go through again especially since they didn't bother to really update the gameplay. I found myself missing ellie's abilities from 2 like going prone/diving backwards or just dodging in general and I missed the superb level design from 2's combat areas.

Also the game took me a few chapters to really get used to its new look because ND really went overboard with the CA and the image quality is a bit blurry despite being 1440p.

I’d just take Starfield out of your backlog completely. It isn’t worth your (or anyone’s) time.
I really should just eat that financial loss lol.

Reactions: C-Dub

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I really should just eat that financial loss lol.
Playing mediocre games just because you paid money for them is a sunk cost fallacy.

Your time is worth more than the enjoyment you’ll get out of Starfield. There’s some really good bits in the game but they’re spread so thin you don’t get to properly appreciate them.

By playing Starfield you’re wasting your most precious resource: time.

So don’t look at it as wasting money - you’ve spent the cash and you’re not getting a refund, and it’s been months at this point so hopefully it doesn’t feel like the game is burning a hole in your pocket.

And if you bought it on disc you might make a bit back by selling it, but that’s neither here nor there.

Instead look at it as saving 100 hours of your life.

Reactions: Derrick01

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Entering after a very long time.
Finished Gravity Rush, almost done finishing Dragon Quest 1.

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Just completed Assassins Creed Rogue. If you like AC4 then you will like this one too, instead of the caribbean you'll be back in a AC3-like setting. Diving is gone but there is a much greater variety of enviroments. A new anachronistic weapon. 1/4 of the naval fleet minigame is locked until you complete the game, which by that time its kind of useless. Recommended of you like Ubisoft's "old school" open world collectathon games and environmental puzzles. I should play AC Unity later, maybe for the next blitz.

Thats 3 out of 5 for this season.

Reactions: lashman
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Okay, figured out the issue with the link. I wanted to generate the link for viewing only to show someone the Blitz but didn't realize that changing permissions and copying the link doesn't generate a new link with new permissions. It's apparently always the same link but all I'm doing is changing what permissions that link provides everywhere it's posted. So I set it back to edit for everyone so you all can freely make changes per normal. I guess going forward if I want to share it without letting it be edited I'll generate a duplicate and share the duplicate that isn't tied to the actual Blitz.

How silly.

Reactions: lashman

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Forgot to update this, but Persona 3 Reload is finished. So that's my 5 done - I'm already thinking about my next Blitz, but I've already started one of the games I was holding back for it (Another Code: Recollection) so my list is in flux right now.

Reactions: KainXVIII

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I'm swapping some games, not really super excited to get into any of the ones I have remaining so.

Out: Alundra, Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power, Hellblade
In: Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion, Vampyr, Disjunction

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
I just finished every event in Grid 2019 career mode. Great game where every car feels unique, too bad it got delisted months ago. Thats the 4th game this season.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I just noticed that I have totally ignored my blitz... Swapped in Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, which I am currently playing, to prevent a 0/5 in this quarter.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I'm going to really struggle since February was mostly all Infinite Wealth and March is going to mostly be Rebirth. I'm still slowly working on Blitz stuff and will probably finish the two VNs in tiny bits and pieces between other gaming time but it's slow coming.

Rabi-Ribi I can at least stream so I get in some time with that while streaming, too.

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
And Leisure Suit Larry Wet Dreams Dry Twice is over. Weaker than the previous game, with less budget (a sequence that would've required a lot of animation was instead played pitch dark) and with a somewhat dissapointing ending. Two puzzles required pixel hunting. I would still lean into "play it" but I understand why people would feel disappointed.

Thats the 5th game and the end of season.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Robocop: Rogue City - Teyon seems to have completely moved past their Rambo misstep, as Rogue City is another 80s action banger from them.
While I'd have preferred they go harder on the capitalist satire (and they need another modeler, cause woof, everyone is the same) I loved this from top to bottom. Couldn't recommend enough

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
Blitz is done, Indy went off into the sunset with commie scientist and Sofia, everyone lived happily and died on the same day! Thank you for listening.

• Comfy
  • Toucan
Reactions: lashman and Cacher
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Last night I completed two of my Blitz games I've been working on over a long stretch of time: Rabi-Ribi and Marco & the Galaxy Dragon.

Rabi-Ribi was a really solid time. Dialogue was plentiful and not great but the action was pretty good and the bosses were normally quite great. Played through the main ending, true ending, and the DLC ending and can now say I'm done. Almost called it finished with just the main ending but I was told the DLC should only take about two hours and that was pretty accurate. And now prepared to get to Tevi at some point.

Marco & the Galaxy Dragon is a visual novel I played in like 10-20 minute bursts most the time. It's pretty short and it's nearly a kinetic visual novel with only a single choice made mid-game that has zero bearing on the story, just between which of two fan service scenes you get. I have no idea why they even bothered. But it's very expensive looking (so many CG scenes!) and presentation as a whole was super impressive. Story was good enough but not really too special. Kind of does a common anime/manga thing where it feels like a bunch of random elements and just nonsensical bits mashed together until the final 15% of the story gets focused and emotional.

That leaves just my pervy game, Lust Academy, and I'm about 1.5 hours into that. Played a bit more last night so I'll make sure to devote some time into it in this next week to wrap it up.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I'm fairly close to finishing Disjunction and quite a ways in in Filament.
After those I'll start Turnip Boy, seems very unlikely that I'll manage to start let alone finish Vampyr before the blitz ends.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I'm doubtful I'll manage to finish my last game (Bonfire Peaks) since, like every other puzzle game, I play it as a palate cleanser between other games, maybe a couple of levels per day, and I'm still only about 70/200 puzzles done but I'd like to give it a shout out since is a great game that deserves all the recognition it can get.

I'm fairly close to finishing Disjunction and quite a ways in in Filament.
After those I'll start Turnip Boy, seems very unlikely that I'll manage to start let alone finish Vampyr before the blitz ends.
I played Filament last year and I just want to say that the last few rooms, particularly the last one, are pure evil. So good luck in your endeavours.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Finally finished Rebirth after 115 hours or so. What a fucking achievement that game is. I have a few quibbles with the story but it doesn't negate what a colossal game this is and how much effort was put into its characters, its towns, giving you a huge game without repeating the same thing over and over the entire time.

That last bit I think is the most mind boggling part. I've been playing games for 30+ years and I cannot think of another game that keeps introducing new things at you for as long as this game does. I've played a lot of 100 hour games (most being open world ones) and in all of them you learn the core gameplay loop in the first 30% and just repeat it til the end, this includes industry darlings like botw and elden ring. Even in those games I was burned out halfway through and wanted the game to end and they just kept going and going.

Rebirth avoids this feeling by being GTA San Andreas on fucking crack. You're constantly introduced to new minigames, new side quests (that are noticeably improved in quality over 7R, they all feature party members so you get to spend more time with them and have good payouts to them), new towns that are 50x the scale of the original game's towns. 80 hours in I had just reached cosmo canyon which to me might have been the best area in the entire game. Almost 100 hours in I was hitting what I thought was the point of no return (the 2nd gold saucer visit before temple of the ancients) and the game throws in a ton of new side quests, minigame versions, card opponents and more. The entire game I just could not believe the amount of unique stuff I was seeing knowing how expensive games are nowadays...and they somehow made this game in only 4 years.

I saw someone say it's a modern day squaresoft game and it really is the best way to describe it. They figured out how to do a modern day ps1 golden age jrpg.

Reactions: KainXVIII and xinek

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I played Filament last year and I just want to say that the last few rooms, particularly the last one, are pure evil. So good luck in your endeavours.
:sweaty-blob:

It's interesting how some puzzle variations really click and you just solve them instantly and some just quite simply break your brain.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
:sweaty-blob:

It's interesting how some puzzle variations really click and you just solve them instantly and some just quite simply break your brain.
My personal experience was similar to what you're mentioning but with a clear pattern where each floor was easier and more "logical" than the last. I had a hard time with the first floor puzzles and if I were to guess I'd say 50-60% of the time played was spend on that floor alone and still get nightmares about the negative and gate puzzles. The 2nd and 3rd went much more smoothly. Until I entered the cockpit...

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
My personal experience was similar to what you're mentioning but with a clear pattern where each floor was easier and more "logical" than the last. I had a hard time with the first floor puzzles and if I were to guess I'd say 50-60% of the time played was spend on that floor alone and still get nightmares about the negative and gate puzzles. The 2nd and 3rd went much more smoothly. Until I entered the cockpit...
I actually can't really say off the top of my head if that is true for me as well. I've been be popping around the ship all over just looking at the environments and doing the puzzles in random order. :toucan:

• Toucan
Reactions: KainXVIII and kio

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finished Disjunction. It's... fine, I guess. I enjoyed it more once I gave up on trying to do perfect stealth runs all the time, changed my tactics a little. Still stealth, but less strict about being a ghost.
The story is kind of whatever, no surprises, no twists, and nothing interesting. No spice.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Started and finished Turnip Boy. I knew it was a short game but I guess I didn't expect to do it in one sitting.
Anyways, it's great, delightful.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Forgot to update I completed my final Blitz game: Lust Academy (Season 1).

Ended up getting all achievements which required playing through it multiple times as I did story mode first assuming that was the better of the two but it's actually the lesser of the two modes and not really the intended way. It's sort of the "easy" mode that eliminates some numbers management and makes none of the mini-games necessary. But it's also missing some content. So anyhow, had a decent enough time with it and it ended sort of mid-year so I'm eager to get back to make more progress.

Only a few days left to wrap everything up for the rest of you! Hurry it up!

• Blobxorcism
Reactions: KainXVIII and xinek

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I started Vampyr. It's a bit jank but I'm enjoying it so far, digging the setting in particular. I don't expect to finish it before the month's done, will probably end up moving it forward to the next blitz, get a headstart. :evilblob:

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Sadly, I sabotaged this Blitz with Balatro and Baldur's Gate 3. I did at least finish 2 backlog games, though. Sigh.

• Sad
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Reminder that this is the final day. I'll do the drawing and all sometime tomorrow (probably mid-to-later in the day for me with my streaming schedule). I'll get the spreadsheet updated later tonight in case anyone wants to check in and list their next games. Thread will also go up later tomorrow.

Good luck, don't forget to make any last minute updates. You have roughly 24 hours!

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Just a heads up the spreadsheet is updated. Feel free to add your games before I make the thread and post about them here or wait until the new thread.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Copngrats to Derrick01 for winning this Backlog Blitz. His completion of Final Fantasy VII Rebirth was the one that got him the win. You have a prize pool of $20 to use for a game. Just DM me or message me on Discord for your prize selection.

Big congrats to all and the new thread will be up soon!