Community Backlog Blitz Season 2 - Runs January 1 through March 31 with a raffle at the end

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
We just finished a successful first season of the Backlog Blitz. We had 23 participants with 115 game goals set and 73 of them were completed. Congrats on clearing out those backlogs! Theswweet was the big winner this time with winning the first draw of the prize for completing Demon's Souls. Make sure to congratulate them here or at the previous thread.

But that means it's time to start anew. The spreadsheet has been updated, the prize pool has been reset, and for whatever reason they keep releasing more games so you'll probably be able to find five more you want to complete.

It's in the thread title but take note that we're now running it for three months instead of four like the previous one. Pick your games accordingly!

What it is:

It's a simple way to clear out some backlog games. You select a number of specific games you want to complete and if you complete them in a set time frame you have a chance to pick a game of your choice within the prize limits.

Rules:

Everyone shares the same rules so an agreed amount of time would be set (three months this time) and then a set amount of games you want to complete in that time (been using five games). You then pick your specific five games with the intention that you don't go changing it all the time. The idea isn't that once you beat some game you go and list it and mark it complete. Instead you pick five games to complete at the start of the Blitz and ideally you complete them as well as anything else you want to finish in that time.

Prize:

In the end I suggest a prize pool and a simple raffle done. For the PC Era Discord I always chip in $20 to start it and accept any other additions (the first time we had around $50, this time we have $35). Raffle winners must use at least half but can go up to the full price of a game (capped at $60 if the prize pool got large enough). Leftover goes to the next drawn winner until it gets down to $0 (or close enough at which point I'll just add it to the next Blitz).

Thoughts?

There's no entry fee or anything so there's really no loss for taking part or starting it and then ignoring it. It's just a fun way to clear out backlog games and have discussion about what you're completing. And commiserate if you pick a game you don't enjoy and sour one of your spots on your list.

I created the Google Sheet so feel free to add yourself and games and we'll see if this gets going:

Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Colorado, USA
I've got myself signed up. I'll start working on Ace Attorney on the plane ride during my vacation next week, and I'll start Outer Wilds when I get back.

Congrats Theswweet

Reactions: lashman
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
My picks for these next three months:

Yakuza 3
Agents of Mayhem
Bioshock 2
Resident Evil: Revelations
Quadrilateral Cowboy

Kind of cheap choices since I also work on my monthly game lists I create for myself and the first three listed also line up with those goals I set for myself but between this list and the Blitz I do for PC Era's Discord I have plenty to complete outside of my pre-set goals.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Okay, will give it a try. Might even try to slot in an RPG the next season...
  1. Gris
  2. Picross e9
  3. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
  4. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 1+2 (replay)
  5. Undertale

Last edited:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Got five games ready to roll:

1. Lone Echo
2. Trover Saves the Universe
3. Batman: The Telltale Series
4. Job Simulator
5. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore

Last edited:
Reactions: MJunioR and lashman

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
Gonna try to add games that I'm reasonably sure to play this time around :D

Ghost Recon Breakpoint
Pathologic 2
Life is Strange 2
Zone of the Enders the 2nd Runner: Mars
My Friend Pedro

Last edited:

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
The rules are that I pick five games and I finish them to be in the raffle?
Can I pick a game that I started a few days ago? Only played an hour or so

Reactions: MJunioR
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
The rules are that I pick five games and I finish them to be in the raffle?
Can I pick a game that I started a few days ago? Only played an hour or so
Each completed game is an entry, so not completing all of them doesn't mean you can't win. You just get better odds by completing more.

Essentially any game is eligible. So yeah, picking stuff you've already started is fine. Just don't list things you've already completed to mark them complete right away, of course. And I suggest not listing five games you don't intend to complete and then swapping them out each time you complete something else. But swapping out is fine and people tend to do it when they realize they don't enjoy a game they picked or it's longer than they thought it would be.

But really it's fairly free-form as the idea is just to help incentivize getting through backlog games.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I am going to pick

Ghostbusters
The Witcher 2
Bloodstained
Saints Row 4
Styx: Master of Shadows
Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Ch.4 Himatsubushi

edit: Removed Styx. I forgot that I wanted to play this as part of the Blitz :p
edit: I hope Parsnip don't mind that I stole his Excel sheet for completed games :D

Last edited:
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Well, I'll leave it up to Theswweet on sharing what game they picked but it left $12 remaining of the prize pool which means I picked another from the list. That means Accoun is the second winner to pick a game for $12 or less. Accoun won with his completion of Half-Life. Good game!

Reactions: MJunioR and lashman

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Might even try to slot in an RPG the next season
If you're not picking 5 80-hours long RPGs, you're doing it wrong. :dana_blanket:

I hope everyone considers picking Scarlet Grace up. It's rather short (~35-45 hours) and it's an excellent RPG.

I'll go with multiple platforms again this time.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Wild Arms
Shadow Hearts
Atelier Lydie & Suelle

Reactions: C-Dub and MJunioR

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Congrats Theswweet !

My list will be:

• Nioh
  • Night in the Woods
  • Chasm
  • Batman Telltale
  • SaGa Scarlet Grace
The first four ones I should be able to do. Unsure about the fifth but I'll try.

Currently playing Nioh and really liking it. Though by mission count I am only a fifth or so in. Will probably take a while because I do every sub mission

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
Already listed them in the previous thread but my games are:

1. Batman: The Enemy Within
2. GRIS
3. Mark of the Ninja
4. Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck's Revenge
5. Portal 2

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Oh, I'm in this time, here are my picks:

1. VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action
2. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
3. Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland DX
4. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Remastered
5. Darksiders: Warmastered Edition

some long games here, but I'll do my best

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
  1. Bioshock 2 Remastered
  2. Nantucket
  3. Prey (New one)
  4. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 1
  5. Call of Duty Advanced Warfare

Managed 2 last time, gave up on American Fugitive and ReCore and I'm putting Darksiders III onto the long long list.

Though I might do a Mass Effect trilogy run first, played them all many times before so not really on the backlog!

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I don't have a new list yet but I'll most definitely be in.

Need to think about it a bit more.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Ok, I'll try this as well.

1. AI The Somnium Files (already started but like 30 mins in)
2. A Case of Distrust
3. Octopath Traveler Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
4. Detective Di; The Silk Rose Murders
5. Twilight Path

Last edited:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
1. Axiom Verge
2. Psychonauts
3. Republique
4. Vagrant Story
5. Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery

Here's my list. Axiom Verge, Psychonauts and Vagrant Story are replays. Vagrant Story and Psychonauts in particular have been a long time coming. For Axiom Verge I just got a real hankering for it after seeing the sequel trailer. Republique is one of the kickstarter games I backed but still haven't gotten around to playing. Jacob Jones includes both episodes, maybe by the time I'm done playing they'll release an episode 3. I'm sure they are just waiting for me.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Already completed one of my games: Quadrilateral Cowboy.

I purposely threw on one short game since the rest are all 10 to 25ish hours long? And I take part in two Blitzes so I have to consider game length between the two. But I need to get my five entries so I have a chance of winning something finally!

Reactions: lashman

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Ok, I'll try this as well.

1. AI The Somnium Files (already started but like 30 mins in)
2. A Case of Distrust
3. Octopath Traveler
4. Detective Di; The Silk Rose Murders
5. Twilight Path
Now that I think about it, let me swap Octopath with Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines, hoping this will give me the push to finally play it.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Switched Scarlet Grace for Knights & Bikes since I saw it when I accidentally clicked on my Gog Galaxy icon and saw I have it installed

Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
A bit late but I think ill try as well. My 5 games are

1. The Witcher 3
2. Black Mesa
3. GRIS
4. Trails of Cold Steel II
5. Monster Hunter World Iceborne (I hope this counts lol)

I'm probably going to regret picking 3 big RPG's considering my history with them but might as well try it ¯\(ツ)

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Finished Lone Echo today. Next up, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair.

Edit: I'm changing it to Two Point Hospital because I really didn't like Yooka-Laylee.

Last edited:

Deleted member 113

OK, let me try as well. :)
Since my main gaming resolution for 2020 was to cut back my new game purchases to a minimum, and tackle the older ones I have in my library instead, this will be a good incentive to start with the right foot. ;)

Here are my choices:

-Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York
-The Shapeshifting Detective
-Vampyr
-Halo: Reach
-Frog Detective 2: The Case of the Invisible Wizard

I'm playing a few other games at the moment, but since I already started them, I'm not counting those.
The above games are ones I'm yet to start.

Last edited by a moderator:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
First time participating in any kind of backlog initiative.

1. Steins;Gate (I already put a lot of hours in this game, but having reading OCD, it would be a real milestone for me to finish a VN)
2. Code Vein
3. Devil May Cry V
4. Resident Evil Revelations 2
5. Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 113

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I think I won't be able to finish Dragon Age Origin for another month or so since I don't like doing RPGs back to back, but SaGa SG hasn't burnt me out on the RPG elements yet so I should be able to start DAO soon with mods and finish it during my holiday at least.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Never tried this before, but it's beyond time to get inspired and hit the backlog.

1. Disco Elysium - played a bit of this and dropped it just as it was getting going. This happens way too often! Update: Ok, finished this one after spending pretty much a day and a half playing it. The writing in this game was stunning. I really disliked the minute to minute gameplay, however -- the walking around and clicking aspect, bugs that made me have to revert to an earlier save, and the forced RNG dice rolls to progress the story just weren't for me. I also played it pretty safe as a straight cop, which probably made it less fun. Regardless of how much I didn't like the gameplay, I'm tempted to play it again someday just to further experience some of the story branches I didn't get to see this time. Really glad I got to experience this game in spite of the things I didn't like. I'll be thinking about it for a while.

2. Uncharted: Lost Legacy - been wanting to play this since it came out.
3. Kingdom Come: Deliverance - maybe ambitious, but I'll try.
4. Yakuza 0 - also dropped this one early on. Getting back to it will be like starting over, ugh.
5. Ori and the Blind Forest - Really not sure if I'll like this one, but have been wanting to try it.

Last edited:

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Two Point hospital was good fun for an hour or so, but not for me. Plus I don't think the game was particularly punishing, which I think a game like this needs to be early on or bad gameplay habits form. At any rate, not for me. Instead, I switched it to Batman: The Telltale Series and finished that yesterday.

I think it's Trover Saves the Universe next.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Trover Saves the Universe complete. Next up, Job Simulator.

Also, I want to apologise to Wibblewozzer for liking the OP every time I want to update the spreadsheet. But the forum doesn't let me view the hidden content after leaving the thread and coming back, despite having already liked the post. :censored:

Reactions: Deleted member 113
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018

Also, I want to apologise to Wibblewozzer for liking the OP every time I want to update the spreadsheet. But the forum doesn't let me view the hidden content after leaving the thread and coming back, despite having already liked the post. :censored:
I turned like notifications off a long time ago. Hadn't even realized. Go nuts.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland

Yup, that forum feature is broken on my end as well.
You should bookmark the sheet. :)

I haven't started any of my games yet, been cramming some goty contenders in before the voting.