Community Backlog Blitz Season 9 - Runs October 1 through December 31 with a raffle at the end

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
We just finished a successful eigth season of the Backlog Blitz. That's two full years completed! Are you one off the lucky ones that has completed two years of blitzing (and 40 games)? We had 25 participants with 121 game goals set and 79 of them were completed. Congrats on clearing out those backlogs! Nzyme was the big winner this time with winning the first draw of the prize for completing Psychonauts and the Rhombus of Ruin. Make sure to congratulate them here or at the previous thread!

It's the end of the year and the most challenging Blitz of the year. There have been and will continue to be a deluge of game releases so clearing out those backlogs can be a challenge. But I have faith and we must continue on! Fight the good fight and drink your Ovaltine and the early bird gets the worm! But maybe pick short games so you can complete some 2021 game releases?

The spreadsheet has been updated, the prize pool has been reset. We'll start with the usual $20 but chipping in is always welcome. The details to do so will be posted separately within the thread soon after we get started.

Pick your games accordingly!

What it is:

It's a simple way to clear out some backlog games. You select a number of specific games you want to complete and if you complete them in a set time frame you have a chance to pick a game of your choice within the prize limits.

Rules:

First off, there is no time limit on when you can join. If you come in late and only have a month left please feel free to join. Even one completed game will get you entered into the raffle detailed below.

Everyone shares the same rules so an agreed amount of time would be set (three months this time) and then a set amount of games you want to complete in that time (been using five games). You then pick your specific five games with the intention that you don't go changing it all the time. The idea isn't that once you beat some game you go and list it and mark it complete. Instead, you pick five games to complete at the start of the Blitz and ideally you complete them as well as anything else you want to finish in that time.

Prize:

In the end, I suggest a prize pool and a simple raffle done. I always chip in $20 to start it and accept any other additions. Raffle winners must use at least half but can go up to the full price of a game (capped at $60 if the prize pool gets large enough). Leftover goes to the next drawn winner until it gets down to $0 (or close enough at which point I'll just add it to the next Blitz).

Thoughts?

There's no entry fee or anything so there's really no loss for taking part or starting it and then ignoring it. It's just a fun way to clear out backlog games and have discussion about what you're completing. And commiserate if you pick a game you don't enjoy and sour one of your spots on your list.

I created the Google Sheet so feel free to add yourself and games:

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
I changed to a hide until replied as I think some people had issues with the hide until reacted. Ask any questions and sorry for those that already posted their new lists in the previous thread. Feel free to just post it again here as we continue for the next three months here.

Good luck, everyone!

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Well, since I still have some stuff to finish off from last month, I'll be using them for my backlog blitz this time.

1) Tales of Arise - Already in progress about 38 hrs in.
2) Deathloop - I think I'm halfway through the game.
3) Castlevania Advance Collection (will be playing through the GBA ones only)
4) The Ascent - dropped it after having played it for 15 hrs due to bugs (some of which halted/reset progression) and performance issues. There's been multiple patches since then, so plan to finish it now.
5) Yakuza 5 - Tentative. I might switch this out for something else in the coming weeks, but we'll see.

Last edited:

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Here are my games for the Blitz
  • ONINAKI
  • Trials of Mana
  • Seiken Densetsu 3
  • Grime
  • Halo
Three RPG games and all of them are Square Enix games. Two of them are almost same game, although the newer one is a remake of the older one :D

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Congrats Nzyme

Mostly shorter games this time because I should be getting busy soon. Let's see how this go.

1. Kirbay: Planet Robobot: Already reached area 3. Love it!
2. Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered: Played the original years ago. Started this remaster and played two stages this morning. Pretty good.
3. Gothic: Played it 16, 17 years ago? One of my fondest gaming memories but never beat it. Hopefully I can still sustain a good amount of eurojank as well as tank controls now
4. Sunset Overdrive: Need a good old modern open world game to balance eurojank
5. Dreamscaper: Not sure if I can finish a roguelike before end of the three-month period. Very excited to play this as it is a good take on the genre

• Comfy
Reactions: Valdien

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I always forget that Blitz is a thing...

My picks this season:
Psychonauts 2
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
God of War
Muv-Luv Unlimited: The Day After
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

Last edited:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Already decided my five. For now, as I will no doubt change them.

Edit: I changed them.

1. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (PS5) Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS5)
2. Impostor Factory (PC) [Completed]
3. Root Film (PS5) Doki Doki Literature Club Plus (PC)
4. UnMetal (PC) [Completed]
5. Lake (PC) Lone Echo II (PC)

Last edited:

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
Taking one game from previous blitz since I didn't finish it yet. I wonder though if I'm going to finish it this season anyhow. Too scared.... :loudly-crying-face:

1. BioShock Remastered.
2. TBA
3. TBA
4. TBA
5. TBA

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018
Since it's Halloween today I went with a spooky horror theme for this blitz.

1. Resident Evil
2. BloodRayne Betrayal
3. Amnesia Rebirth
4. Darq
5. Syberia 3

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
My theme this time is the same as last which only makes sense to me. I put together a goal list of like 45 games at the start of the year that are based on themes or series (like Trine games, Mega Man X series, visual novels, etc.) but I did a bad job making good progress on it so last Blitz and this my games are based on those goals:

1. Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China (finished Unity last Blitz)
2. Mega Man X5 (finished X2 last Blitz and played through X3 and X4 right after)
3. Sly 2: Band of Thieves (played through Sly 1 last Blitz)
4. Punch Line (finished three VNs early this year and then just stagnated so this is to get through another)
5. Far Cry Primal (I tried Far Cry 3 early this year but didn't get into it early on and decided moving backwards after 4 is too tough so I'm moving forward)

Far Cry is really the only one that has risk of being swapped out. I mostly want shorter games to give more time to 2021 games in the last quarter but we'll see.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Congrats Nzyme !

When I started thinking about what games I would pick and looked at my big old list, an emulation themed list started forming. And then wibble suggested I should do one where each game is from a different platform. So here's mine.

1. Goonies (NES). It only came out in Japan, but afaik it's fully playable without any knowledge of Japanese language.
2. Shadowrun (SNES). I think I remember starting this once but didn't get very far. The only real memory I have is this music.
3. Tales of Phantasia (PS1). After some research I've concluded that the PS1 version is the one to play with the fan translation. It will be my first Tales of game.
4. Shadow Heart (PS2). Always been curious about this, at has had some emulation issues in the past but surely they've been fixed by now. If not, I'll swap it to something else. The soundtrack is ace.
5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU). Time to see what all the fuss was about it.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
  1. Metro Exodus
  2. Halo 4
  3. Drakan The Ancients' Gates
  4. You Are Empty
  5. Psychonauts

A lot of this is just 'finish what im playing'. Of course im moving the first of november and a lot of my stuff is being packed up, so we'll see how it goes

Last edited:
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
  1. Metro Exodus
  2. Halo 4
  3. Drakan The Ancients' Gates
  4. You Are Empty
  5. Psychonauts

A lot of this is just 'finish what im playing'. Of course im moving the first of november and a lot of my stuff is being packed up, so we'll see how it goes
I didn't realize the game's name was "You Are Empty". I thought you were jokingly leaving a spot blank on the Sheet to fill in later. Huh.

• Toucan
Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Still in a difficult situation with gaming but I will be able to play at least Playstation games soon. Anyway here is my planned list:
  • Legend of Grimrock
  • Marvel's Avengers
  • Eastward
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
  • I don't know yet
Should be doable. Once I am not bound to my laptop any more to play vidya games I should be in the mood to play more.

• Hug
Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Ghostbusters down. Great fun. I will write up something after getting all achievements.

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Well, I finished Deathloop last night even though I assumed I was half-way through the game, lol.

Not much to say that hasn't already been said about the game here on Meta by other members. Unfortunately, it's my least favourite Arkane game and one I don't personally see replaying again. I found the "immersive sim" aspects to be mostly window-dressing, and the writing for the NPC's dialogue and e-mails were pretty juvenile. The only interesting bits were from Egor, but the game doesn't really any questions directly by the end. Maybe for a sequel? I don't know.

Mechanically, it's not on the same level as Dishonored considering the restrictions placed upon the player. Plus, the game recycles some of the same powers from the Dishonored series. Some folks have speculated that it shares the same universe as Dishonored (based on the ending), but that's no reason to not try and come up with some more original powers. For a game that makes use of "time-loop/time-travel" as its main theme, it's pretty weak too in that regard.

Reactions: Cacher

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
Alright, let's hopefully do it this time:

• Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers
  • Saints Row
  • Behind the Frame: The Finest Scenery
  • Cross the Moon
  • Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
Thank you! Amazed I managed to win one.

This season should have up to 1 month of Steam Deck, for which I have a few games set aside, but since it isn't clear exactly when that is shipping, I'll be leaving those out for next season.

So far I'm doing:
  • Hollow Knight - I am chasing full completion, which involves the pantheons. This is going to be many hours of pain
  • Xcom 2 - Forever delayed because I am addicted to doing this in ironman, I aim to finally finish this
  • Star Wars Squadrons - Another one I left aside for a while but was enjoying
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn - I've done a substantial amount of this already so it should be feasible. I was quite enjoying it now I have a nice input method.
  • Dark Souls - Finally stepping up and working on this amongst the other souls games. Lord help me, as this and HK may kill me.
In the background also, I'm working on Ring Fit. Which I have a few intervals I'll use in Blitz to keep me going. First will be to play every 2 days and amass 100hrs. After that will be to try 2x daily and hit 200+ hrs

Reactions: Parsnip
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Nzyme picked his prize and now we're all set for the raffle for this Blitz. We're starting with a fresh $20 and as always donations or chipping in or whatever you want to call it is welcome but never required. Worst case scenario we end with $20 during the Steam sale so someone will be able to pick a dozen games to buy.

But if you do want to chip in as always the methods that can be used are as follows:

Hidden content
You are not allowed to view this content
Or reach out to me and we can maybe figure something out (I took a digital Steam gift card last time so that's fine, too).

Good luck all!

Last edited:

Involution

Aug 24, 2020
I was a buffoon, and signed up for the last one only to get a new job a little bit later that kept me busy until like the last week lol. This time I promise to do a bit better at least.

Games to finish this time:
  • Katana Zero - Leaving game pass in a week so I want to finish it without having to take it from this month's humble monthly
  • Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition - Despite finishing the 360 version I didn't really bother with this one till now. Time to get it done I suppose
  • Narita Boy - This game looks...like something. Either way, gonna dive in and play it.
  • FF8 Remastered Windows Edition - 2 JRPGs in one season? Might be craziness. I never played this one way back at its PS1 release.
  • TBD, gonna decide on the last one in the next week or so based on gut feeling.

It's almost all Game Pass stuff, hopefully I can finish some games I wanted to try AND feel like I'm not wasting a subscription at the same time.

Reactions: Parsnip

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Started Hob and already thinking of dropping it.

The game's mostly just "fine". It doesn't do anything special but it's inoffensive enough most of the time. But overall I'm pretty meh on it. And when that's the case even minor annoyances can be the death knell it seems.
Like when you combine wonky platforming with a section of moving platforms that always start away from you whenever you respawn and that respawn always being at the beginning of this section and the respawn animation also being slow... Call me petty but I just don't have the will to deal with such annoyances if your game doesn't have at least one aspect that has its hooks into me... which Hob doesn't. So, welp. Not sure what to replace it with yet, but I think that one's off the list.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Started Hob and already thinking of dropping it.

The game's mostly just "fine". It doesn't do anything special but it's inoffensive enough most of the time. But overall I'm pretty meh on it. And when that's the case even minor annoyances can be the death knell it seems.
Like when you combine wonky platforming with a section of moving platforms that always start away from you whenever you respawn and that respawn always being at the beginning of this section and the respawn animation also being slow... Call me petty but I just don't have the will to deal with such annoyances if your game doesn't have at least one aspect that has its hooks into me... which Hob doesn't. So, welp. Not sure what to replace it with yet, but I think that one's off the list.
I loved Hob but if you don't feel it early on that won't likely change. It's hard to recall specifics but I think I was just really impressed by the sense of exploration and I really liked triggering the next areas to add to the map. It's very much an exploration heavy game and the puzzles and navigation all were part of the world and didn't just feel like random arbitrary things in your path so somehow it had a pace that made me constantly want to see what was next and complete the task in front of me.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I loved Hob but if you don't feel it early on that won't likely change. It's hard to recall specifics but I think I was just really impressed by the sense of exploration and I really liked triggering the next areas to add to the map. It's very much an exploration heavy game and the puzzles and navigation all were part of the world and didn't just feel like random arbitrary things in your path so somehow it had a pace that made me constantly want to see what was next and complete the task in front of me.
The world is the one thing I enjoyed, but overall I'm just not super feeling it.

On the bright side, I properly started Blue Fire now that the free DLC is released and I'm super digging that game!

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018
Finished BloodRayne Betrayal, in keeping with tradition of the other BloodRayne games it's really bad.

Started Syberia 3 so I guess I'm getting the bad games out of the way at the start.

• Hug
Reactions: BlueOdin

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I have been playing Halo this week. This game didn't age well. Even in the Master Chief version it feels so old. The game is basically only getting from point A to point B.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Took a quick look and we're at 18 participants. Not too bad after a little over a week. I hope we can get closer to the 25 we had last time, though! Usually people continue to join throughout so I do expect the number will climb up.

I didn't make a post at the time but I made the chip-in info hidden by post count. I don't actually know what that is set to but if anyone wants to chip in and can't see the info just let me know.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finished Shadowrun, so that's 2/5 done.
It's a fascinating game in some ways. You can kind of see glimpses of a classic in there, but it's hard to ignore how shit it's actually to play. Moving a mouse cursor around with a snes pad is just not great. Combat in particular suffers because it's real time. As if that wasn't bad enough on its own, enemies can actually shoot at you off screen. There are other UI related annoyances that they could have probably solved back then already, it was probably not a technology problem. Like, the dialogue stuff is pretty interesting, you basically learn keywords from talking to people and then you can use those keywords to ask more questions. The problem is that the list gets pretty long, most people won't have anything to say about most things, and every time you select a keyword, the dialogue menu dumps you back into the root of the dialogue menu instead of staying in the keyword list.
It doesn't look terrible and some of the music is pretty alright, but gameplay really drags it down.

Armitage is kind of cool name though. And he has cool shades. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
You can kind of see glimpses of a classic in there, but it's hard to ignore how shit it's actually to play. Moving a mouse cursor around with a snes pad is just not great. Combat in particular suffers because it's real time.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Yup, I actually looked into that. The actual maddening thing is that SNES had a mouse, so they could have supported it back then too.
The downside of this solution is obviously that you need to use specific fork of this one emulator with the script for it to work. And it's kind of broken, as seen on the video.
That also wouldn't save the game in the end, just make it more tolerable.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Completed the main story of Kirby Planet Robobot. The final boss fight is hype as fuck. Fantastic game and I will aim for 100% completion.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
The levels in Halo are so boring and way too big for no reason. The corridors and rooms look the same as the one before. I find it a bit difficult to know where to go since everything looks the same :(

What made this game so great back in the days I have no idea :shrugblob:

Anyway I have two more levels to play through then I am done with the first game of the series. I hope the later games are better :)

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
The levels in Halo are so boring and way too big for no reason. The corridors and rooms look the same as the one before. I find it a bit difficult to know where to go since everything looks the same :(

What made this game so great back in the days I have no idea :shrugblob:

Anyway I have two more levels to play through then I am done with the first game of the series. I hope the later games are better :)
I've always thought the first game was not good and never did finish it back then (got like 2/3 through it). My thoughts are the second and third game are improved but only go from like a 3 out of 10 to a 4 or 5 out of 10 if feeling charitable. But I also think they're super ugly games and have never enjoyed the feel of combat. So perhaps if that hooks you you'll enjoy it but I also thought many of the chapters didn't have enjoyable level design.

Good luck!

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I've always thought the first game was not good and never did finish it back then (got like 2/3 through it). My thoughts are the second and third game are improved but only go from like a 3 out of 10 to a 4 or 5 out of 10 if feeling charitable. But I also think they're super ugly games and have never enjoyed the feel of combat. So perhaps if that hooks you you'll enjoy it but I also thought many of the chapters didn't have enjoyable level design.

Good luck!
In the beginning the levels in Halo felt uniquely designed, but maybe level 3 to 8 had levels that are too big and boring. I played level 9 yesterday and it felt better. It didn't feel big, but since I find the battles boring I just skipped through some of it as much as I can. The enemies seems to be stupid and stay mostly where they are spawned.

Only one level left and I am done with the game.

Another thing that I find boring is the lack of weapon choices. There are human weapons and covenant weapons. All of them are boring to use. And the enemies requires way too many bullets to kill.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
In the beginning the levels in Halo felt uniquely designed, but maybe level 3 to 8 had levels that are too big and boring. I played level 9 yesterday and it felt better. It didn't feel big, but since I find the battles boring I just skipped through some of it as much as I can. The enemies seems to be stupid and stay mostly where they are spawned.

Only one level left and I am done with the game.

Another thing that I find boring is the lack of weapon choices. There are human weapons and covenant weapons. All of them are boring to use. And the enemies requires way too many bullets to kill.
I don't think most of these thoughts will change as you play more of them. Especially battles being boring and just running past stuff. There's one level in Halo 3, I believe it was, that I was so annoyed by that point I went through the entire level killing only like four enemies because they got directly in my path and blocked me. Otherwise it was just a sprint to the end and a lot of deaths because I had no interest in fighting.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Halo CE done, that's the first game in the Blitz
The last level I just let the enemies kill each other. That way I don't need to bother to kill them myself :D

• Toucan
Reactions: Derrick01

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
I am late but at least I know what games for me to do this go around that will actually work out!

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Well I finished Blue Fire. It's funny that I waited for the free DLC because in the end that was the part I didn't really play, I got my fill with the base game already.
Excellent game though, highly recommended.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
Finished Shadowrun, so that's 2/5 done.
It's a fascinating game in some ways. You can kind of see glimpses of a classic in there, but it's hard to ignore how shit it's actually to play. Moving a mouse cursor around with a snes pad is just not great. Combat in particular suffers because it's real time. As if that wasn't bad enough on its own, enemies can actually shoot at you off screen. There are other UI related annoyances that they could have probably solved back then already, it was probably not a technology problem. Like, the dialogue stuff is pretty interesting, you basically learn keywords from talking to people and then you can use those keywords to ask more questions. The problem is that the list gets pretty long, most people won't have anything to say about most things, and every time you select a keyword, the dialogue menu dumps you back into the root of the dialogue menu instead of staying in the keyword list.
It doesn't look terrible and some of the music is pretty alright, but gameplay really drags it down.

Armitage is kind of cool name though. And he has cool shades. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Oh, I played that game long time ago. One of the few games which was even localized into Swedish. I remember I like the game quite a lot back then. And did finish quite few times too I think. Cannot remember I had issue using gamepad as mousepad though. But I guess that's same reason why console gamers does not have issues playing FPS games with gamepad
:devilish:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Oh, I played that game long time ago. One of the few games which was even localized into Swedish. I remember I like the game quite a lot back then. And did finish quite few times too I think. Cannot remember I had issue using gamepad as mousepad though. But I guess that's same reason why console gamers does not have issues playing FPS games with gamepad
:devilish:
It's just clunky and unprecise, and the realtime nature of the combat feels "unfair" when enemies can unload full clips into you before you can line a shot. It helps that once you do get a target the game tracks them with the crosshairs. Except that it occasionally loses that tracking for some reason. And it's also kind of easy to get stunlocked in some rooms.

Some kind of turn based system would have made a lot more sense to me. Most of my issues with the game would have been solved or at least mitigated with one.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I think I played through SNES Shadowrun two or three times back in the SNES days. As ganmo said, the game was localized into Swedish and I think it was the only SNES game that got this treatment. No other games were in Swedish.

There were lot of navigating through the conversation choices, I think the down button in the D-Pad got a bit worn because of constantly pressing down in the choices :D

Currently playing the SNES version of Trials of Mana aka Seiken Densetsu 3. I have played it before when the fan translation was released almost 20 years ago. It has been so long time since I last played it so it is time to replay the game. I am fan of the Mana games, mostly the SNES Mana games.

Fun fact: I am running a Mana website that has been around for a very long time :)

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
If I'm not ultra tired later today I'm going to start one of my longer games. Probably Tales of Phantasia.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Here's my planned list though I have no idea how much I'll get through. I've been waiting on the HDR fix for hitman 3 but it's been 10 months almost and nothing so screw it.

1. Death Stranding DC
2. Alien Isolation
3. Rome Total War Remaster
4. Hitman 3
5. Guardians of the Galaxy

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Just finished Tales of Arise's post-content. I've posted some ramblings/impressions regarding the game's combat here in the main ToA thread. Warning: wall of text. :p

Anyway, The Ascent is up next. I believe I'm currently on the last mission? Might be done with it today if so.

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Well, I guess I'm done with The Ascent, too. :p Apparently, the last mission was only 30 minutes long. 3 games off the Blitz already.