News Baldur's Gate III (Larian) - coming to Earrly Access in October 2020

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019

Well, I'm glad Larian are acknowledging that playing a custom character in DOS2 wasn't as satisfying from a story point of view. They say they are trying to make things like race, class, background and decisions/actions have more reactivity so that custom characters aren't so blah.

I personally would prefer non-origin companions so that they all didn't have to share the tadpole-in-the-head thing.

Reactions: lashman

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
New newsletter from Larian with some interesting tidbits:

Though this journey began now years ago when we visited Wizards of the Coast for the first time in 2017, these past few weeks have been momentous and emotional, since this was the first time we were able to share Baldur's Gate 3 with all of you, the people for whom the game is being made.

-------------------------------------------------------------

We will soon embark on an epic adventure as Baldur's Gate 3 enters Early Access, and we couldn't possibly venture forth without first gathering you, our party. One thousand of you gathered with us as we streamed the game live for the first time at PAX East in an auditorium filled to the brim, and an extra thousand of you were sadly turned away because there was no more space. Hundreds of thousands of you gathered online which - we're told in confidence - broke some records. Thousands of you each waited three hours to gather with us at our PAX East booth, to see what would have happened if the dice rolls weren't against us. It has been humbling and exciting to gather together as we start this new journey, venturing forth, going the way of the dice.

What you will eventually play has been in the planning at Larian and closely with Wizards of the Coast for over 4 years now, with their key creative people colliding with our key creative people in ways that we will eventually talk about in greater length. Our task is to create the ultimate Dungeons & Dragons game; a loving and modern sequel to Baldur's Gate 2. Oozing with 5e D&D greatness, set in the world that you know and love. You will explore Baldur's Gate 100 years after Baldur's Gate 2. The Bhaalspawn saga has ended, and a new threat is converging on the city of Baldur's Gate. But the gods do not forget, and the shadows and scars of the past will not stay silent. You will meet and get to know many new characters, and encounter some of the legendary characters you know and love.

Most importantly, you'll learn how their stories have evolved. And as you play, you will heavily influence their fate. Over the course of the past 3 weeks, the final missing ingredient has been added into our new development pipeline: you.

Let's look at how we've evolved since the release of Divinity: Original Sin 2 in 2017. Firstly, we finished Divinity: Original Sin 2 with 120 people. DOS2 was shipped on the second version of the Divinity engine (we still haven't found a cool name for it yet), and our Producer David Walgrave said recently in an interview with TechRaptor that in BG3 "there's about 20-30% of the Original Sin engine left and we rewrote so many systems and so many things." We've been colloquially calling this 4.0 engine the "Baldur's Gate Engine", and it's designed from the ground up for Baldur's Gate.

But how does this happen? Between 2017 and the announcement of BG3 we've grown to 250 people + we have over 100 outsourcers working on this. Still independent. Funded entirely by yourselves who dived so eagerly into Divinity: Original Sin 2. We were quiet since the announcement just before E3 of the previous year. But internally, kinetic energy has propelled us forward with new systems, pipelines, and people who when not playing D&D were all helping us to put together what you saw at PAX East, 2020. There's quite the adventure ahead.

We've built an engine that allows all 250 people at Larian collaborate to become the ultimate DM. Allowing for near-limitless reactivity, responsiveness, and a memory that never forgets who you are, or what you've done. No matter who you roll, dice-rolls, modifiers, and physical simulation have all been designed to simulate a D&D experience that feels as though it's straight from the imagination, where no matter the dice roll the story will continue. It's also a game that is intended to span the entire range of human emotion. It is in equal parts a dark and a light game. "We always want to make failure as interesting as it possibly can," said Senior Writer Adam Smith. "We don't put everything that's cool and interesting behind success."

"Light and dark are really good sources of advantage," noted Swen in a recent GameSpot interview. The philosophies that define the rules in D&D 5e also define the narrative, where you'll often make difficult decisions through initiative or through the roll of the dice. The Baldur's Gate games were dark - sometimes darker than many people remember. Baldur's Gate 3 is no exception, though in 2020 we're able to take the gamut of emotion and experience and stretch it further due to systems, simulation, and of course also our cinematics team. Unfortunately we did not make it to the end of our PAX East 2020 live demo due to a feature (see: bug), but those in the hall witnessed a scene where Astarion's hunger got the better of him, and through a series of dice rolls (and often audience choice), Astarion sank his teeth into Shadowheart to varying degrees of mortality. Astarion was happy (systemically), but Shadowheart often ended up dead (also without irony, systemically).

Baldur's Gate 3 is on course to be a 'Mature' game, which is publishing language for "if you go any further the ratings board is going to be extremely annoying". We want to push the limits of every theme within the game, which should allow you to play exactly how you'd like to play. Astarion may be a Vampire Spawn, but that doesn't mean he has to be evil - if hungry. Though you saw one path at PAX East, there were many possibilities for good, and evil -- note also, everything in between. It has always been Larian's plan to create games that allow you to play however you wish. This larger team, and this new engine, allow us to push this further than ever before. Much further than Divinity: Original Sin 2.

As you delve into an epic adventure that subverts the binary morality found in many RPGs, and explore Baldur's Gate with new and existing characters, 100 years after the story of the first two games, dice roll by dice roll, we hope that together we can reignite that great sense of discovery you felt as you dived for the first time into Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, bringing the experience of an open-ended D&D game to photo-realistic realisation, albeit with 5e rules in place of 2nd edition rules. Things have come a long way in 20 years, but what's important to us is that you're along for the ride.

You have many questions, and we have answers. We'll be hosting a Reddit AMA where you can ask Swen (Creative Director), David (Producer), Adam (Senior Writer), Nick (Lead Systems Designer), and Jiji (Writing Director) your questions. 11:00 PT on March 12, over on Reddit!

See you all in Early Access.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Interesting that Larian is doing more outsourcing for this one. That's a first for them I think.

Reactions: Pommes

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Some info from the AMA:

-The final release will include all classes from the Player's Handbook
-The level cap in the full release will be 10
-Custom characters can choose their voice during character creation and will have spoken dialogue like the origin characters do
-No face sliders - you can choose a head, hair, skin color, etc.
-Feats will be in the final release, but not Early Access
-You can make your own mercenaries to replace the origin companions(they have no story or personality)
-Spell-casting will have chanting like BG1/2
-There will be multi-classing in the final game
-There are no short rests but Warlocks get their spells back after each fight
-Custom characters will be Baldurians and provide a unique perspective on the story. Exceptions to this are races like Drow and Githyanki, which have their own unique backgrounds
-Loot will follow D&D rather than DOS2. Magical items will be rare and unique.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
This was great, but I can't wait to see what they show on the 18th as well. Baldur's Gate 3 is going to be so good!!!

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Some real silly fun stuff in that video.

Swen ran his familiar all the way across the world and they decided not to leash it lol.

Early Access should prove fruitful just like it did for DOS 2. I'll probably not play it much in EA just to save for the full release.

Reactions: Pommes

Arkanius

Dec 21, 2018
I'm too weak to not get it in Early Access
But I must. This game deserves to be played in the 1.0

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I'm too weak to not get it in Early Access
But I must. This game deserves to be played in the 1.0
I didn't play DOS1/2 in EA, but I'll be there day 1 of EA for BG3. I restarted DOS2 soooo many times during Act I - this will help me be prepared for 1.0

Reactions: QFNS

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
New Larian Gazette with a re-cap of the Panel from Hell:

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Community Update #6 is up. The focus is on multiplayer and how the cinematic conversations are handled.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pommes and QFNS

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Early Access has been delayed one week to October 8. As a consolation, Larian has released community update 7 which focuses on companionship and romance.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Community Update #8 is live, and it's all about character creation:

Reactions: Pommes and QFNS

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Downloading now! It's 60GB so is going to take 2+ hours... Whhhhhy didn't I leave my PC on this morning? I could've installed it remotely.

Reactions: lashman

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Downloading now! It's 60GB so is going to take 2+ hours... Whhhhhy didn't I leave my PC on this morning? I could've installed it remotely.
I bought and started downloading before going to work this morning, be leaving work soon!

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
I get about 10fps more using DX11 compared to Vulkan and there are less weird frame rate moments. 70-80fps at 1440p highest settings, looks amazing.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Wow, the game is 60GB already even though it's only 1 out of 3 acts? It'll be 100GB+ in the full version, isn't it?

It's gonna be the biggest cRPG ever.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
How is the story, voice acting etc?
The VO is universally great so far, I haven't and probably won't go too far into the story in EA though, it's just the tadpole stuff so far. I expect something greater to reveal itself at some point. Baal? Sarevok? Minsc? Etc...

Reactions: ISee

Gengis Khan

Goodfella
Jan 26, 2019
Italy
mgmboxeisland.com
I'm absolutely loving the game so far, with the exception of a couple minor nitpickings.
Character models, not just upclose but also from the "isometric camera", are some of the best I've ever seen in the genre, both in term of detail than overall art direction.

I absolutely hate the chain/unchain mechanic to manage the full party, though, and in fact I even started a thread about it on the official forum with the overwhelming majority of the feedback being on my side so far:

Besides, I also agree with the very vocal group claiming that a 4-men party feels way too restrictive.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
I want to stop playing but I can't! My biggest concern was that it was going to feel like a reskin of D:OS with it's incredibly restrictive level gating but it definitely has it own thing going on, fights don't feel like puzzles but more like opportunities for silliness and imagination, wider areas where you don't have to tiptoe around in case there is a crab 2 levels above you etc...

Spoilers for level 2 crypt stuff:

Dropped into the crypt though the hole I made killing a couple of guys outside with a giant rock, 5-6 guys outside of a door. Got killed the first time by the dead body of Gale and his answering machine, long story. 2nd time I move a chest in front of the door and pinged away with my ranger and Vamp dude picking them off and lighting them on fire.

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
I'm absolutely loving the game so far, with the exception of a couple minor nitpickings.
Character models, not just upclose but also from the "isometric camera", are some of the best I've ever seen in the genre, both in term of detail than overall art direction.

I absolutely hate the chain/unchain mechanic to manage the full party, though, and in fact I even started a thread about it on the official forum with the overwhelming majority of the feedback being on my side so far:

Besides, I also agree with the very vocal group claiming that a 4-men party feels way too restrictive.
Good to see people agreeing. I've also despised that system, it's way too cumbersome and awkward. I shouldn't have to fumble getting it to cooperate when in Pillars/Pathfinder/IWD, etc. it makes me a few seconds. I hope they listen, but sometimes they seem to be stubborn over feedback sometimes. Maybe my memory is wrong, but I remember in Early Access for DOS2 that the reception of the armor system was pretty negative and they ignored it, only after release for Swen to say "Yeah, the armor system sucked".

Reactions: Gengis Khan

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com

I didn't notice this until I jumped over a hole with my main to go around the Goblin camp (I refuse to cover my face in poop), and my party didn't follow but tried to go back through the camp entrance, triggering the convo with the goblin. But this time, the wizard dude (Glenn? Gale?) spoke, and I had an Illithid check instead of an intimidation/persuasion check. and so I passed through.

Weird how I found out the multiple-path solution.

Something similar happened with a goblin ambush. I failed the perception (x4) on my way to the ambush site, and was able to intimidate them to not fight. When I passed the perception check, I called them out, won the intimidation check, yet ended up in a fight .

WUT????

Anyway, the opening is a great attention-grabber, but 3 of my party members I wanna slap, and yes, that's a small number I'd like to go up to 5-6.