|OT| DEATH STRANDING | PC | - Unite the Threads , one more time on PC

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Finally finished the game today. I spent about 5 hours thinking this was the end. I think most of the main emotional delivery is actually earned, definitely the best Kojima has done, and it's really quite good even outside of 'for a video game'.

The twists and turns were a lot of fun, and I really dig this kind of surreal narrative. But it's ultimately somewhat restrained, which is probably for the best. If I wrote the story I probably would have included even wilder twists and deeper surrealism.

Ending stuff:
Although relying on sentimentality, the Cliff -> Sam -> Lou stuff is really well delivered throughout, and the ending, where Sam finally has his link to the world, a reason for going on, is really satisfying and very well 'shot', that very last scene with the photo and Lou's hand especially.

I did finish the game.

I read all the Wikis.

Still trying to wrap my head around the "Extinction Entity" concept. That's the only part of the plot where I'm like, "Wut?"
Endgame stuff:

I kind of wondered about the 5 hovering beings on the beach, that was never explained. Amelie pointed to them saying that Sam was still connected. But were they the 5 other EE's?

But really with her powers she's more like just a non-omnipotent semi-omniscient God. She can bring anyone back from the dead. Bring the dead back to Earth. Destroy the world. Whatever. Gods are capricious and prone to anger... or was that wizards? Just unknowable. Definitely not the most compelling part but more twisty turny story material.

Also, did anyone else play the game like me? As soon as I had vehicles I drove EVERYWHERE. Mountainous delivery? I'll drive my bike. Cliff edge? Bike. Maybe do a leap of faith with a truck. I definitely spent a lot more time driving vehicles than walking.

I used a floating carrier about 2 times total.

I had a few real popular bridges, kinda surprised nobody else built the one in particular.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Although relying on sentimentality, the Cliff -> Sam -> Lou stuff is really well delivered throughout, and the ending, where Sam finally has his link to the world, a reason for going on, is really satisfying and very well 'shot', that very last scene with the photo and Lou's hand especially.

That part was excellent indeed.

Reactions: lashman

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I kind of wondered about the 5 hovering beings on the beach, that was never explained. Amelie pointed to them saying that Sam was still connected. But were they the 5 other EE's?
In that spot I figured that they were representations of the main characters that Sam had made connections with, Die-Hardman, Heartman, Mama/Lockne, Fragile and Deadman.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
In that spot I figured that they were representations of the main characters that Sam had made connections with, Die-Hardman, Heartman, Mama/Lockne, Fragile and Deadman.
Yeah they were talking at that moment, and it makes sense in the context of the story, except... floating

It wasn't something we saw depicted that way. You also see the 5 floaters in a different scene. Could be foreshadowing. A zoom-in might have helped...

Also it's pretty good that the first teaser trailer had an explicit callout to a story beat. The creepy dolls being a sort of tailsman used for teleportation, which itself has the plus scar that Amelie puts onto BB Sam.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Woo. Just finished it. Well, im on the beach with the credits going and that lady talking to me

Great game, really enjoyed it. Best bits were after chapter 3 when it opened up and i was exploring routes to places. Got though the end chapters yesterday and today. Lots of weird story stuff at the end, typical Kojima.

Probably be my GOTY so far.