|OT| DEATH STRANDING | PC | - Unite the Threads , one more time on PC

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I'm doing everything, and loving it. I can definitely see why this is a Marmite game, but I'm definitely in the "Love it" camp.

There's just something so sincere about what the game has you doing. It's engaging, relaxing, stressful and fun all in one go.

I'm glad I'm playing this on PC, but kind of sad I missed this in 2019.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
I need help with figuring out why using my strand only works once. Is it a one and done? I am asking because I parry somebody with it, they turn around, and my character just stands there like a doofus.

I am still holding the ready button (RMB)! I even tried later by letting button go and pressing it again.

Arkanius

Dec 21, 2018
I said that I wouldn't do sidequests and do just the critical path when starting this game.
I have now 30 hours in the clock and just arrived to Chapter 5.

I HAD TO BUILD ALL THOSE ROADS

This game is fascinatingly different and soothing. It's a AAA experience with huge incredible values and it's not a shootbang.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Okay this auto paver thing has given me a couple questions.

How come I can't select how much metal goes in? It need like 800 yet I can only put all of my 1140 metals in? Chiral brings up an amount selector...

Also the quest isn't completing? It is confusing shows lvl 1 needs stuff on paver, but in the paver menu it says under construction....but nothing happening much.

Arkanius

Dec 21, 2018
Okay this auto paver thing has given me a couple questions.

How come I can't select how much metal goes in? It need like 800 yet I can only put all of my 1140 metals in? Chiral brings up an amount selector...

Also the quest isn't completing? It is confusing shows lvl 1 needs stuff on paver, but in the paver menu it says under construction....but nothing happening much.
For Metals and Ceramics, you can only deposit "boxes" so if you don't want to over commit materials, its best you take different levels of boxes (50, 100, 250, 500) so you can deposit only what you want.

Reactions: ISee

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
For Metals and Ceramics, you can only deposit "boxes" so if you don't want to over commit materials, its best you take different levels of boxes (50, 100, 250, 500) so you can deposit only what you want.
So I deposit at the place where I have my room and then take out what I need? Was confusing because on map it didn't say how much I needed.

Also new question!

Why do I have to do partial delivery 8 times in a row when I have all 8 items on me? In the delivery pane, it only shows me one. So I have to make partial, then go back in. I can't even choose the pizza to deliver.

It is the delivery timefallx8 one. Nor could I even turn in the pizza one..so if I only take the pizza one, how do I keep it flat then?

Last edited:

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I shouldn't have clicked that spoiler, but OMG I never thought of NOT using my newly acquired gear on MULES despite the game telling me about voidouts.

LMAOOOOO I was excited to go home and try them, but now, not so much.
I actually like that you aren't forced to do stealth in the stealth sections and can recover from fuck ups :evilblob: (I tend to fuck up a lot :surrenderblob:)
I ended up in a lot of fist fights.

Got the bola or whatever, and keep running out of ammo cuz they won't stay down, and keep spearing my escape vehicle.

Last night, one MULE knocked my gun off my back and into the nearby canyon. Man that's effed up!

Last edited:

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
Beat the game just now. Don't think I've played any game as much as I have played this one over the past few days in a very long time. Loved it, even if it went full Kojima several times. Along with Doom Eternal, it's in my top 2 of the year so far.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I shouldn't have clicked that spoiler, but OMG I never thought of NOT using my newly acquired gear on MULES despite the game telling me about voidouts.

LMAOOOOO I was excited to go home and try them, but now, not so much.

I ended up in a lot of fist fights.

Got the bola or whatever, and keep running out of ammo cuz they won't stay down, and keep spearing my escape vehicle.

Last night, one MULE knocked my gun off my back and into the nearby canyon. Man that's effed up!
When you bola a mule you gotta kick them afterwards so they stay down. :p Unless you headshot, I think that works too.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I've been taking my time with this and I finally got the Bola. Made me so happy to have it when a truck with about 5-6 MULEs on it started heading my way not long after.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Finished the junk dealer main quest line.
Sometimes getting abducted by BTs and fighting the mini boss is more easy than sneaking around.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
So driving in this game sucks right? Even on roads both the trike and truck just feel like ass and the lack of automatic camera doesn't help.
There's also no sense of speed, even though when boosting the wind whooshes in your ears it just doesn't look like you are going fast at all.

Sometimes getting abducted by BTs and fighting the mini boss is more easy than sneaking around.
As soon as I got the proper grenades, that's mostly what I've been doing instead of trying to sneak around.
But don't do what I did and have the nades in slots that don't stick with you when you get abducted. :D Running around the arena from island to island waiting for some random helper to throw you the good stuff is not fun.

Reactions: Alexandros and ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Music is something that often is forgettable in games and in the background noise category. For example, I love HZD but I can't remember any music. Most of the stuff in the Death Stranding Soundtrack is not something that I'd listen on my own time, but as an addition to the game: It's good and I'll definitely remember some of it!

And while searching for the soundtrack I stumbled about this: Seems to be mostly cut from trailers, but there are things that I'd consider to be in the slight spoiler category (as far as I can tell, I'm still in chapter 3 lol). Pretty cool fan video.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Reached Chapter 4
WHAT the f* was that?

Edit: and I'm already in Chapter 5. That was quick, lol.

Last edited:

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Just started Chapter 5 this morning. Instead of heading straight to the next area, I've decided to build up the level of some of the preppers and the South Knot City.

Now that I have use of the truck I'm taking the time to finish the last few roads I never built and I'm gonna do big deliveries of lost cargo and accumulated deliveries stored in my private locker.

I generally hate busywork like this in games, but for some reason in Death Stranding I love it. My girlfriend jokingly mocks the game as "UPS 2021 Simulator", and the concept seems utterly bananas (again, I don't know how even Kojima got money for this), but I find it incredibly engrossing.

Reactions: Alexandros and ISee

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
40 hours in. Every bit has been outstanding.

I'm doing everything, and loving it. I can definitely see why this is a Marmite game, but I'm definitely in the "Love it" camp.

There's just something so sincere about what the game has you doing. It's engaging, relaxing, stressful and fun all in one go.

I'm glad I'm playing this on PC, but kind of sad I missed this in 2019.
We didn't have to wait long.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Okay.
Time to finish the game today.

edit: Stupid me thought I was close to the end. Should've known better: 3 hours later and I'm still going.

Last edited:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Finished the main game's story (I'll keep it short and there are no spoilers):

The story was beautiful and full of nonsense at the same time. I normally don't like fiction that is not able to uphold the rules, themes and boundaries it established. Death Stranding contradicts itself on occasions. I can only assume that's one of the reasons why some people called it pretentious.
But there are many well directed and enacted scenes in the game and the epilogue was a beautiful emotional ride. The world may be inconsistent, but some of the stories in the game are strong.

Gameplay is good, exploring and traversing the game world entertaining, music a well crafted companion.
BTs were more of a nuisance than a welcome alternation in gameplay though. Shooting mechanics on the other side were surprisingly good.
For the couple of time when they were needed.

But overall: The game felt fresh and I've certainly not played anything like it before. I recommend it.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I fell into the "gotta optimize my zipline delivery routes" hole in the mountains.
I'm in chapter... 7, or 8? Met Heartman.

I think I'm going to power to the end of the game next and see if I want to do the achievements and such after that.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Think this will be my game of the year. Having great fun playing it.

I do have a questions for you delivery experts....

Whats the deal with roads? I seem to have built most of the road sections so far but a couple have appeared from other players. Does the game sort of give you (me) a bias so that you can construct the lions share or am i just paired with a bunch of slacking motorway crew members?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Think this will be my game of the year. Having great fun playing it.

I do have a questions for you delivery experts....

Whats the deal with roads? I seem to have built most of the road sections so far but a couple have appeared from other players. Does the game sort of give you (me) a bias so that you can construct the lions share or am i just paired with a bunch of slacking motorway crew members?
99% sure it's the former

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
HEY HEY, I haven't abandoned this place yet, I'm at chapter 12 out of 14 :blobeyes:

I will post some impressions once I'm done but so far WHAT A GAME!!!! :dualbladesblob::dualbladesblob::dualbladesblob:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I kind of wish I could take out mule camps permanently. Like, not for gameplay reasons really, they are barely a nuisance, but just purely as a possibility since all the mechanics are there. Like, if I did all the work and then carry each body to the incinerator, the game really shouldn't just respawn everyone after a while. Though I haven't actually tried myself, but googlefu suggests that's the case.

Also, I forgot to mention earlier...
That scene with Deadman and Sam, you know the one. Couldn't help but think about this the whole time.

Big_Al

Miserable old git
Jan 22, 2019
Have to say I wasn't sure what to expect from this, I have a friend who absolutely adores it on PS4 and a friend who absolutely hated it on PS4 but I went into it with an open mind. I have to say this is very likely going to be my GOTY or very likely close it (top 5 anyway). I fucking LOVE that they made a postman game basically with a AAA budget and a wanky Kojima story to justify it. Delivering packages around the game world is so incredibly satisfying to me, I genuinely can't enough of it, be it on foot or going along the highways. That along with the whole theme of connecting and with the connection to other players it's so satisfying to help folks, or go on a long out of the way route to then throw down a bridge/ladder/rope and then get a real satisfaction of it being liked/used by other players who decided to go the same route you did.

Can't remember the chapter I'm on right now but I'm basically ignoring the story at the minute doing as many auto pavers as I can and standard orders to get the materials needed. Think I've done around 1/3 to a 1/2 of the game world so far. 😎

I kind of wish I could take out mule camps permanently. Like, not for gameplay reasons really, they are barely a nuisance, but just purely as a possibility since all the mechanics are there. Like, if I did all the work and then carry each body to the incinerator, the game really shouldn't just respawn everyone after a while. Though I haven't actually tried myself, but googlefu suggests that's the case.

Also, I forgot to mention earlier...
That scene with Deadman and Sam, you know the one. Couldn't help but think about this the whole time.

The handy thing with the MULE camps is that they tend to have a pile of certain materials and if you need them they can be quite handy. Whilst you can't predict what the camp will have (well I think you can't, it seems to be random but maybe I'm wrong) it's especially handy if you need say ceramics which you need a lot of for the auto pavers, and a camp is full of them etc.

Thinking about it though and I'm not sure if this is the case, but if you say kill a MULE and bring them to the incinerator does it generate a load of Chiral Crystals each time ? I've not actually killed anyone yet to try it so not sure.

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
Have to say I wasn't sure what to expect from this, I have a friend who absolutely adores it on PS4 and a friend who absolutely hated it on PS4 but I went into it with an open mind. I have to say this is very likely going to be my GOTY or very likely close it (top 5 anyway). I fucking LOVE that they made a postman game basically with a AAA budget and a wanky Kojima story to justify it. Delivering packages around the game world is so incredibly satisfying to me, I genuinely can't enough of it, be it on foot or going along the highways. That along with the whole theme of connecting and with the connection to other players it's so satisfying to help folks, or go on a long out of the way route to then throw down a bridge/ladder/rope and then get a real satisfaction of it being liked/used by other players who decided to go the same route you did.

Can't remember the chapter I'm on right now but I'm basically ignoring the story at the minute doing as many auto pavers as I can and standard orders to get the materials needed. Think I've done around 1/3 to a 1/2 of the game world so far. 😎

The handy thing with the MULE camps is that they tend to have a pile of certain materials and if you need them they can be quite handy. Whilst you can't predict what the camp will have (well I think you can't, it seems to be random but maybe I'm wrong) it's especially handy if you need say ceramics which you need a lot of for the auto pavers, and a camp is full of them etc.

Thinking about it though and I'm not sure if this is the case, but if you say kill a MULE and bring them to the incinerator does it generate a load of Chiral Crystals each time ? I've not actually killed anyone yet to try it so not sure.
Honestly, I doubt you can kill a MULE without triggering a game over (since the game tells you very strongly that the lethal weapons should NOT be used against humans)

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Sure, but I would love to be able to make that choice.

Honestly, I doubt you can kill a MULE without triggering a game over (since the game tells you very strongly that the lethal weapons should NOT be used against humans)
You can, if internet is to be believed.

Reactions: Kurt Russell