News Epic Games Store

Gengis Khan

Goodfella
Jan 26, 2019
Italy
mgmboxeisland.com
it happened
So they are pushing THIS hard to get any sale, uh?
I assumed that BL3 would be a success no matter what, but judging by how they are acting I'm getting the feeling that they are definitely failing to meet expectations. Or at very least to have anything worth boasting about.

They are probably desperate to come up with some press release like "Borderlands 3 is the best selling Borderlands game at launch" and "Corollary: this totally proves Steam is unnecessary".

Reactions: Ge0force

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
They won't, the bundle can be bought in Fortnite for $20 for a limited time.
Then I really don't understand the point of the bundle, other than trying to get more people into Fortnite. And odds are, if you aren't already playing Fortnite, you've probably left it and won't be going back. The game has peaked and is in decline.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Then I really don't understand the point of the bundle, other than trying to get more people into Fortnite. And odds are, if you aren't already playing Fortnite, you've probably left it and won't be going back. The game has peaked and is in decline.
Marketing, Epic using Borderlands to keep Fortnite going, and 2K hoping to sell the game to Fortnite kids, Epic won't lock the bundle to EGS because consoles are the biggest part of the Fortnite players.

Funny thing, the bundle is only free if you buy Borderlands 3 through EGS, GMG and Humble got the shaft.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
Valve did the same thing with TF2 items, it's a nice bonus for people who were going to buy the game anyway and may convince some people on the fence to buy the game.

Reactions: ISee

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
I think this is SO important, and so underestimated by the majority!

Having Linux support for the client and for games via Proton might seem small potatoes, but it's part of the whole accessibility thing, which it's absolutely crucial.

In the web industry, we spend an absurd amount of time making sure our systems are accessible to users with various form of disabilities. Say, vision impaired folks need bigger text or even full screen reader support; other people might need to be able to navigate with the keyboard only; deafness has some requirements, autism some others.

So we usually don't think of "Linux" as an accessibility problem, but in fact it totally is.

Even if we don't consider the pro users, Linux, in its many forms, is also a cheap alternative to Win, especially in poorer markets.
Though, it's also what powers Android phones and Chromebooks.

Opening the platform to Linux (on top of Win and Mac) means that absolutely everyone can use it.

And this is where accessibility turns into cash.

If a web developer doesn't provide screen reader support, they aren't just being sloppy. They are losing a certain amount of potential customers.
Same for Steam and "frenemies".

Let's say that Windows users who only play at their desk with an Xbox controller are the 80% of the potential userbase.
Supporting Linux might increase that to 85%.
In-home streaming to the big TV to the 90%.
Custom controller mapping might add the people who have physical trouble with the standard layout, to the 95%.
And so on.

(Aside: this has a cost. Let's say... something around the 30% of the revenue 😏)

In my entirely made up scenario, Steam has a 15% edge over the competition (any competition).
Might be more, might be less, it's not important.
What's important is that Steam has less entry barriers, and therefore can provide to a larger number (and more diverse) of customers.

I don't expect developers to be aware of all of this, it's not their job. They see the Epic offer and they accept it because who wouldn't.
Though, I would expect that publishers, who are supposed to know all the market shit, wouldn't overlook this kind of edge.

And yet.
Great post. Sometimes the like button is not enough.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada

Are they... hiding the user review score for Control's PC version...?

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium

Are they... hiding the user review score for Control's PC version...?
I see a 6.6 user score from 142 user reviews.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Klemens Kundratitz says publisher is open to more exclusives with Epic Games Store despite backlash against Metro Exodus

The first major publisher to spark controversy for signing exclusively with the Epic Games Store has said it may well seek similar deals in future.

Koch Media took the decision to make the PC version of Metro Exodus only available through Epic's store for the first year, sparking outrage from some of the series' fans -- something an employee of the shooter's developer 4A Games fought back against.

That said, Metro Exodus certainly did not seem to suffer for it.

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz at Gamescom, CEO Klemens Kundratitz said the company is "very happy with the commercial results so far," although he acknowledges that the exclusivity deal "caused some ripples."

Nevertheless, he stands by the decision and praised the impact Epic is having on the PC games market.

"Overall, I'm still of the opinion like I was at the beginning that, as an industry and as a publisher, we should welcome Epic and their business model," he said.

"We have a strong relationship with Epic and we continue to have a strong relationship with Steam as well. It's just a shame that we couldn't announce this collaboration earlier. That was not perfect."

Koch has not been alone in the negative response it has received over agreeing timed exclusivity with Epic Games. Major publishers 2K Games and Ubisoft came under fire after agreeing such deals for Borderlands 3 and The Division 2 respectively, while the developers of Shenmue III, Phoenix Point and Ooblets also saw a backlash from their decisions.

Following the latter, Epic Games denounced the "disturbing trend" of harassment towards its partners.

Kundratitiz observed that such aggressive and negative behaviour is a general problem with the internet and social media, making this a "wider issue than just the battle between two digital stores." But he asserted that what Epic is doing to disrupt the space is necessary for the industry.

"As a company, we have to do the things we believe in," he said. "We make mistakes as well but this wasn't a mistake. We need to embrace a digital partner that offers a much more compelling rev share model than anybody else, and I think they act as a role model for us and for other digital partners as well -- a 70/30 split is quite frankly anachronistic."

Kundratitz's comments echo those of Paradox Interactive's Fredrik Wester, who recently described the 70/30 split as "outrageous."

The Koch CEO told us that he is open to the possibility for similar agreements for the Epic Games Store in future.

"We have many games on Steam, including many new releases like Iron Harvest. But I'm not ruling out to do an exclusive with Epic again."

While many developers have opted for an exclusive launch via Epic's store, some have openly avoided this. Unfold Games, the developer behind Darq, actually turned down a deal from Epic, while Terraria developer Re-Logic assured fans that it will never "sell our souls" to the Fortnite firm.

We spoke to Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney earlier this year, who said the marketplace is "making the industry a better place" but "gamers don't see that."

Recrees

Dec 31, 2018
Czechia
"A 70/30 split is quite frankly anachronistic."
Damn...looks like Koch will have to leave consoles behind as well for the greater good. What an unexpected twist! That's what's gonna happen next, right? Can't have any of that anachronistic 30% cut after all.

"We should welcome Epic and their business model,"
I'd rather die.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I will buy Iron Harvest to support the devs, but I will keep ignoring their games involved in exclusivity deals.

It's also baffling how they keep bragging about the "success" of Metro Exodus on pc, while the "absolute majority of revenue" came from consoles.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Honestly, this is starting to sound like a pre-meditated assault on Valve, probably coordinated by Sweeny and Epic after they took a major loss last week with the Darq dev's shenanigans.
Honestly, that wouldn't even surprise me. This is clearly a response from Epic's partners after several news posts of devs and publishers speaking out against exclusivity deals with Epic.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Honestly, this is starting to sound like a pre-meditated assault on Valve, probably coordinated by Sweeny and Epic after they took a major loss last week with the Darq dev's shenanigans.
Yeah, wouldn't get surprised if Rebellion or even Annapurna decides to say something about the outrageous, aggressive and destructive 70 / 30 split this week too.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019

Flips

Overwhelmingly Positive
May 12, 2019

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I'll do what i've always done and just ignore them and play other games. I can't even be arsed to give them headspace and word of mouth to be honest.
If it comes down to it i'll buy the games second-hand on consoles if i really feel the need to play them.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Damn...looks like Koch will have to leave consoles behind as well for the greater good. What an unexpected twist!
Consoles have difficulties of coding to the metal and optimizing 100 years old hardware, they deserve the cut (and bonuses, and brand loyalty, and holy wars)! Does Valve has a claim of coding to the metal?! Don't think so.

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
Honestly, this is sounding like an industry-wide assault on store fees, as I'm hearing elsewhere that publishers are using Stadia and streaming as leverage against console manufacturers in their bid to increase their percentage take on the next gen systems. Part of me believes they're doing this to mitigate any losses they'll take if the government puts their foot down on lootboxes and regulates them.

sk2k

Steam New Releases Warrior
Dec 8, 2018
Somewhere else

Stability, ultimately, is the word that defines the Epic’s Store rise in prominence amongst developers. Many devs that have signed deals with Epic have been accused of cashing-in, of denying players the right to pick their purchase point in exchange for a cheque. Yet the reality for them is less about getting rich quick and more about mitigating failure. For indie developers, getting your game noticed is becoming increasingly difficult, especially on Steam. “Previously, I was very much in a loss-minimization mindset. I’ve spoken in the past about how I would need to sell at least 40,000 copies just to break even,” Chyr says.
I wonder if his game will reach this number on EGS.

I do not know but does not EPIC creates a fake stability for the devs? Doesn't EPIC distorts the "normal" flow in the indie games sector?

Last edited:

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Honestly, this is sounding like an industry-wide assault on store fees, as I'm hearing elsewhere that publishers are using Stadia and streaming as leverage against console manufacturers in their bid to increase their percentage take on the next gen systems. Part of me believes they're doing this to mitigate any losses they'll take if the government puts their foot down on lootboxes and regulates them.
They're trying to recoup some money they aren't getting from shitty margins on $60 base priced AAA games. Loot boxes are getting too much heat, so time to try another way.