News Epic Games Store

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Honestly my favorite part of the BL3 advertising is that Borderlands' $100 Super Deluxe edition has been on the top 10 sellers on Humble since it went up, while the regular edition is way farther down. Neither of which offer a Humble Monthly discount or Humble Rewards.

They aren't even TRYING to hide that Humble is rigging the top sellers list. At this point I wouldnt be surprised if Ancestors wasn't actually the #3 top seller and Take Two just paid Humble off to put it up there.

Reactions: Ge0force

PC-Patriot

Press Any key, where the hell is it ?
Aug 5, 2019
I misread that tweet I thought at first it was saying they had increased it by 5% to 20%. But they actually increased it by 15% from 5% to 20% lol yeah you don't do a 15% increase in a cut if everything is going hunky dory.

As far as I know Epic are footing the bill for "influencers" (god I hate that term). So this won't be costing gearbox of Take 2 a penny. Nope good ole Epic throwing yet more money at the dumpster fire in the hope it will fix things.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I misread that tweet I thought at first it was saying they had increased it by 5% to 20%. But they actually increased it by 15% from 5% to 20% lol yeah you don't do a 15% increase in a cut if everything is going hunky dory.

As far as I know Epic are footing the bill for "influencers" (god I hate that term). So this won't be costing gearbox of Take 2 a penny. Nope good ole Epic throwing yet more money at the dumpster fire in the hope it will fix things.
It annoys me how much money all of this is burning through which could be going to humanitarian efforts rather than a man's hubris.

So in other words the new strategy to right the sinking ship is to throw streamers at the EGS' biggest release yet
How did yall not think EGS would bribe streamers and content creators to talk about Borderlands 3?

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Epic pays first 5% until end of this year.

soo 2K covers 15%.. 12%+15% = 27%

could steam have won this with 20%/25% tiers?

Guess they can't rely on Steam visibility so they need alternative ways...

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Epic pays first 5% until end of this year.

soo 2K covers 15%.. 12%+15% = 27%

could steam have won this with 20%/25% tiers?

Guess they can't rely on Steam visibility so they need alternative ways...
i'm pretty sure papa Tim is paying for the full 20% here ... which makes all of this even worse

but yes, you are right - it would've ABSOLUTELY reached the 20% mark, easily ... in fact - it probably still will, even 6 months late

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
What an absolutely massive conflict of interest. Might as well just straight up pay influencers for coverage.
Epic already did that with WWZ.
yeah, pretty much ... like anyone is going to say "this game sucks ass, avoid ... oh, and by the way - here's my creator code"
Or worse: influencers praising bad or mediocre games to earn more money. Plus there's the fact that Epic wants to make user reviews optional. Their plan sounds like EA's wet dream tbh...

Meanwhile, several games on EGS never got a single patch to fix minor and major issues. But no one knows about this because there are no user reviews at all.

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Or worse: influencers praising bad or mediocre games to earn more money.
oh, that is absolutely 100% already happening ... not from any of the big ones, but just search for "creator code" on twitter ... you'll see what i'm talking about

Plus there's the fact that Epic wants to make user reviews optional. Their plan sounds like EA's wet dream tbh...
yuuuup ... that's why we have tweets like the one Knurek posted earlier today:

because, like, what else are they supposed to show? reddit posts? discord messages? metacritic user scores?

steam is literally the ONLY place where you can find reviews only from people who actually own the stuff (and barely anyone bothers to review anything on consoles)

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
steam is literally the ONLY place where you can find reviews only from people who actually own the stuff (and barely anyone bothers to review anything on consoles)
It is pretty funny that for all people whine about review bombing and whatever else about Steam's reviews, Steam is indeed the only place where I can check to see that people who are writing the reviews have at least turned on the game, and not just some wanks pretending to have played it so they can argue about on a forum or Twitter or Reddit.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Epic is doing everything they can to make sure BL3 succeeds. It's not about making money with that game, all they want is a win they can boast about and have the media parade it around as proof that the store is here to stay. They haven't had anything to brag about since WWZ was a surprise hit (for a whopping 1 month). This is their MO with EGS really. They're far more concerned with appearing successful than actually being successful. They want to control the message by any means necessary.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
This is pure speculation but I'm willing to bet BL3 doesn't sell more than 200k units on egs. It's a console franchise at heart and I don't see pc centric players caring about the game, at least not enough to buy it at release.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
This is pure speculation but I'm willing to bet BL3 doesn't sell more than 200k units on egs. It's a console franchise at heart and I don't see pc centric players caring about the game, at least not enough to buy it at release.
Nah, Blands moves millions on Steam, it'll sell like hot cakes, maybe not as much as on Steam, but a lot.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Every BL fan is know is waiting 6 months until BL3 releases on Steam, but I'm pretty sure the casual crowd will flock to EGS thanks to the influencers and streamers. I predict 2 million sales within the first 6 months.

We'll have to wait and see if these people become loyal EGS buyers tho.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Every BL fan is know is waiting 6 months until BL3 releases on Steam, but I'm pretty sure the casual crowd will flock to EGS thanks to the influencers and streamers. I predict 2 million sales within the first 6 months.

We'll have to wait and see if these people become loyal EGS buyers tho.
I don't think the "casual crowd" plays on pc. Maybe I'm being elitist but my understanding of the pc gaming crowd is that we are more educated than the average gamer(tm) hence why things like gfwl or uwp failed.
Plus, the success of BL2 in the past can be seen as a perfect storm kind of thing. It was a fresh experience that didn't have any rival at the time. it was juvenile and edgy enough to be on par with the attitude at the time and Gearbox had all the goodwill on their side. Now though? It's another generic experience in a crowded market and genre that still uses the same comedic 'edgyness' that stopped being relevant 5 years ago and Gearbox lost any goodwill it had after 2 gigantic flops, a lot of lies and the never-ending controversies surrounding it's ceo.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I think the jury's out on whether BL3 on EGS flops or not. Clearly it's not selling as well as Epic would like as they're trying to bribe streamers and YouTubers to pimp the game and are bundling Fortnite costumes with the release of the game.

Hats in TF2 worked in the past, so there's no saying the Fortnite bribe won't work, but at that point Steam was a platform people were comfortable using. EGS is largely hated or seen as an inconvenience, and I wonder whether there's much crossover between the BL3 audience and those who just play Fortnite. So even if they do sell copies for the Fortnite shite, I expect a lot of talk about how the game is "dead" on PC, which will kick it in the sales tail.

Reactions: xinek and Ge0force

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Or it is selling okay, maybe even good and they are investing into it to push it even further so they can have a mega success story.

That's what I'd too. Push as hard as possible to be able to announce a preemptive victory. I could dictate the narrative 100% this way and extinguish all doubts.

Not saying that's the most likely scenario. But maybe we are reading that BL 3 is failing because we want it to fail.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

The Epic Games Store has been at the centre of some of the most prominent gaming controversies this year, especially in the PC gaming space, what with its aggressive poaching of exclusivity for major titles. And while it’s something that has brought about the displeasure of the masses, the stance that Epic Games themselves have taken from the very beginning is an interesting one.

While Steam – the leading storefront on PC – charges a 30 per cent revenue from all games hosted on its platforms, the Epic Games Store charges only 12 per cent, allowing publishers using the storefront to make more money off their games and – theoretically – invest that money to develop even better content. It’s something that Epic Games has banked on hard, and even though it’s an industry standard – Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, Apple, and many others charge the sae 70/30 split as Steam – there are many who stand with Epic’s digital store for this reason.

For instance, there’s Chris Early, Ubisoft’s vice president for partnerships and revenue. Recently, while speaking with the New York Times, Early said that Steam’s business model has become “unrealistic” in the current market, suggesting that Valve needs to bring about a change.

“It’s unrealistic, the current business model that they have,” said Early. “It doesn’t reflect where the world is today in terms of game distribution.”

Ubisoft has been one of the most high profile supporters of the Epic Games Store. Earlier this year, they confirmed that barring their own Uplay, The Division 2 would only be available for PC via the Epic Games Store, before going on to confirm that this exclusivity arrangement would continue with other future titles as well. Later this year, Ghost Recon Breakpoint will also be exclusive to the Epic Games Store and Uplay.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I don't think the "casual crowd" plays on pc.
You're right. What I actually meant was "casual buyers", people focused on a single game and therefore buying only a handful of different games each year. One of my colleagues plays mostly DOTA for example, plus a few mainstream games like Doom and Borderlands.

Reactions: MJunioR

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Ubisoft has been making several decisions lately to give them more revenue. While none of these decisions are straight up anti-consumer, they are a disadvantage for us as gamers one way or the other. I'm curious how this will impact their reputation and sales in the next few years. As I've said earlier this week, these decisions do have a negative impact on my mood to buy Ubisofts games.

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Ubisoft has always been strange, especially in regards to PC gaming. Always online DRM, pimping cloud gaming as the future, and being the gaming equivalent to Heinz 57 "varieties".

Their descent into the GaaS shithole has been the most hurtful, but I haven't bought any of their games in a long, long time and I really don't feel like I'm missing anything. You've played one, you've played them all.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
As I've said earlier this week, these decisions do have a negative impact on my mood to buy Ubisofts games.
i stopped completely ... probably the fact tht i bought all my ubi games on steam helped with that :p

Their descent into the GaaS shithole has been the most hurtful, but I haven't bought any of their games in a long, long time and I really don't feel like I'm missing anything. You've played one, you've played them all.
yeah ... they chose the "best" time to fuck off completely .... at this point i don't really care about their games all that much anymore ... if they did it like 5 years ago or something - that would've hurt a bit ... but now? nah, fuck 'em

Reactions: LEANIJA

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
i stopped completely ... probably the fact tht i bought all my ubi games on steam helped with that :p
I bought most Ubisoft games on uPlay because of the lower prices on keystores and/or the 20% discount with uPlay points (which I lost after Ubisoft limited them in time by the way). But I haven't even opened uPlay this year, despite owning several unplayed games like AC Origins and For Honor. I guess this is mainly because I strongly dislike how Ubisoft is supporting Epic and their scummy tactics.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I bought most Ubisoft games on uPlay because of the lower prices on keystores and/or the 20% discount with uPlay points (which I lost after Ubisoft limited them in time by the way).
... and i'm just a lazy bastard who wants to have most of his library in one place ;) no, really ... that's basically the only reason why i was buying their games on steam (and why i won't continue to buy them on udontplay)

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
... and i'm just a lazy bastard who wants to have most of his library in one place ;) no, really ... that's basically the only reason why i was buying their games on steam (and why i won't continue to buy them on udontplay)
That's perfectly fine to be honest. PC gaming is all about choice. If you want all your games in one place, you should have the option to do so.