News Epic Games Store

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Gabe always said that piracy was always a service issue.
yup

it was inevitable - once people can't have the convenience of having everything in one place anymore, they'll just go back to piracy ... after all - if it's just another icon on your desktop, then it might as well be the game shortcut, not launcher shortcut

same with video streaming

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

just confirmed egsclusive

seems like Versus Evil are all-in on papa Tim's moneybags ...

in which case, i guess it's safe to assume this one will be as well:

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019

... and another egsclusive gets a store page 3 months before release, lol
I remember saying that Hello Neighbor could be the next Twitch big thing last year but it just disappeared and I fully believe that Hide n Seek being an EGS exclusive back in December 100% contributed for the franchise losing a lot of popularity.

Reactions: Samson and lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I remember saying that Hello Neighbor could be the next Twitch big thing last year but it just disappeared and I fully believe that Hide n Seek being an EGS exclusive back in December 100% contributed for the franchise losing a lot of popularity.
yeah, probably ... they got in purely because the TinyBuild dude knows Sergey ... so they got the money ... but no one bought the game, lol

Reactions: MJunioR

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I wonder how ghost recon breaking point is going to sell on EGS, now that Ubi is offering their subscription service (and the first month is free).

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I wonder how ghost recon breaking point is going to sell on EGS, now that Ubi is offering their subscription service (and the first month is free).
it doesn't matter ... ubi don't give a singular fuck about that ... they only took the money because they wanted to move everyone to udontplay for years ... and this only made the decision to ditch steam easier for them ... they could sell ZERO copies on egs and still be satisfied with the deal ;)

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
it doesn't matter ... ubi don't give a singular fuck about that ... they only took the money because they wanted to move everyone to udontplay for years ... and this only made the decision to ditch steam easier for them ... they could sell ZERO copies on egs and still be satisfied with the deal ;)
Oh, for sure.
I was just wondering how many copies epic "pre bought" and how much money they are loosing.
I would be even surprised if epic will be able to sell 10k copies world wide.

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I was just wondering how many copies epic "pre bought" and how much money they are loosing.
probably a loooooooot

but i also think they don't give a fuck about that either .... Tim might be an asshole, but he's not a moron ... he knew the VAST majority of ubi sales would go to udontplay instead ... the whole point of that deal was getting those games off steam, not getting them on egs

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Oh, for sure.
I would be even surprised if epic will be able to sell 10k copies world wide.
Well, let's consider Control and its $10m exclusivity deal. We can assume that Epic paid for Ubi's entire fiscal year releases, which includes: The Division 2, Watch_Dogs: Legion, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Breakpoint and Anno 1800. Of course Ubi games are way bigger than Control, but as lash pointed, these aren't 100% exclusives, and most people probably bought them from uPlay to no one's surprise. I'd say that it's not impossible that Epic paid, say, $15m per game (you can add an extra $5m on Division 2 and Watch Dogs Legion each since these are their biggest titles) + extra for bringing the rest of their catalog over to EGS.

By the way, I just noticed that with Hide and Seek, all EGS launch titles are now releasing on Steam this December to no one's surprise. These deals flew by.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
I've heard refunds are going out for shenmue 3 now.
Anyone else still waiting? I've not seen anything yet

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I'm waiting for my refund. I think for people who have bigger or more complicated pledges it may take some time.

In my case, I Kickstarted a PS4 physical version (which they sent me an EGS key for the demo today - blegh) and then when the surveys went out I put another $29 down for a Steam key in addition to my physical PS4 edition, so I think they need to cancel my Steam edition without cancelling my PS4 pledge.

I think some other people have already received some rewards, so the refunds will be pro-rated, and in those cases they're probably more complex too.

Deleted member 113

I've heard refunds are going out for shenmue 3 now.
Anyone else still waiting? I've not seen anything yet
Did anyone really receive a refund already?

Since one has until early October to change survey answers, and apply for a refund, they will probably only proceed with them after that date.
Hopefully they won't take too long. I could certainly use the funds to buy other stuff.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Did anyone really receive a refund already?

Since one has until early October to change survey answers, and apply for a refund, they will probably only proceed with them after that date.
Hopefully they won't take too long. I could certainly use the funds to buy other stuff.
Yeah I saw folks on resetera posting they had theirs.
I'll find the posts and link them

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Deleted member 113

Yeah I saw folks on resetera posting they had theirs.
I'll find the posts and link them
No need, I take your word. :)

Today, a full week after I applied for a refund, I received an email saying a key for the trial version is now available.
I already dropped a message to the backerkit "orders" email about this, since I can see them trying to cut some of my refund amount, because they may claim some of the rewards were delivered.

This trial key came a full week after I applied for my refund, and I won't be making use of it, so if they try to cut some of my refund amount over it, they'll earn a fight.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018

various posts from this page onwards of some people getting refunds in

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
So, are the Final Fantasy games considered anime games or the nostalgia factor gives them a pass?

Deleted member 113

i got mine yesterday - in case anyone was wondering
Just out of curiosity: did you back the game at a tier that entitled you to access to the trial version, and if you did, did you receive an email today saying your key was available?

Reactions: lashman

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
I know y'all will frown upon this, but I've chosen not to refund, and just wait for the Steam key next year.
Meanwhile I'll sell or give away the EGS key, and call it a day.

In the off chance they won't give the Steam keys (and I'm kinda sure they won't, telling some awkward made up loophole blaming Valve as justification), eh, they will go down in history for being the worst Kickstarter ever, and good luck (not) for gaining any goodwill back for Shenmue 4.

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
Of course he's going to say that. The reality of the situation is, though, that only a small handful of games gain any traction on streams. If you're not charting, most casual players probably don't know about you and won't care enough to search you out. And if a game isn't interesting or bringing in viewers, the top streamers will drop them.

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
Of course he's going to say that. The reality of the situation is, though, that only a small handful of games gain any traction on streams. If you're not charting, most casual players probably don't know about you and won't care enough to search you out. And if a game isn't interesting or bringing in viewers, the top streamers will drop them.
One big problem with utilizing streamers in general is that they build audiences around specific games. And audiences are then often only loyal to the streamer insofar as they continue to play the game they want to see them play.

I can't tell you how many times I've watched a streamer deviate from their "normal" game that got them their audience (say League, Fortnite, Dota, CSGO, etc), try to play something else like a popular new single player game (e.g. Spider-Man or Red Dead), and then saw a massive drop in viewers and a massive increase in chat whining.

I don't understand how marketing through content creators could be really viable for anyone. Even a huge game like Borderlands 3 is already outside the Top 25, and that game had way more pull than EGSclusive Indie #39. Maybe the initial charting views for the first day or two are enough to be worth it, I dunno.

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
One big problem with utilizing streamers in general is that they build audiences around specific games. And audiences are then often only loyal to the streamer insofar as they continue to play the game they want to see them play.
This is entirely true. I notice the same thing in my own streams. Even though I stream a variety of different games, if I deviate from anything that is horror-related, the few viewers I do have tend to drop off. And that kinda sucks, cause there are non-horror games I'd love to stream more of (and I do, if I'm passionate enough about them). But I'm doing this as a hobby, so I can risk losing a handful of viewers for a week or two.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Content creation aligns with the interests of the streamer and whoever's paying them the most.
as planned ... you're supposed to be interested in whatever they tell you to be interested in

You can use that cash for some Anime Souls Tiddie Action :sweeney_ducktales:
i can't ... it's already gone, in fact ... had to pay the bills (and i'm not even done with those yet)

Reactions: MJunioR and Samson