News Epic Games Store

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
That and Satisfactory I believe. You'd think Epic would shout good sales numbers from the rooftops, however actual numbers remain elusive. Whatever could that mean?
They're so good that they don't actually want any publishers to know that they too can knock together a half assed webstore client and take 100% of all sales revenue

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
They certainly are showing numbers to publishers when doing deals. Ubisoft or 2k aren't going in blind. They just don't want to show numbers to us. Is it good or bad? I don't know, I'd like to interpret it as a bad sign, but publishers being silent about sale numbers is not uncommon.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Yeah as much as I want to believe, I think BL3 has sadly been an unqualified success

How many AAA EGSclusives have there been?
Really hoping Batman is only 6 months

Reactions: ISee

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Mor on your EGS Google Sheet, Hello Neighbor is marked as "Unknown" under exclusivity length, But Hello Neighbor's EGS store page says "PC Exclusive on Epic Games store through December 2019". Didn't know if you were aware of that.

I think its the only store page to outright list its exclusivity length lol

Yeah as much as I want to believe, I think BL3 has sadly been an unqualified success

How many AAA EGSclusives have there been?
Really hoping Batman is only 6 months
Metro Exodus, The Outer Worlds, Borderlands 3, Control, The Sinking City (I guess, its $60 at least) and probably Batman.

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
Borderlands 3 was always going to sell like hot cakes, but given that the specific stat 2K gave was sell-in, that very much could include the guaranteed sales copies from Epic.

This was the storm we had to weather, it was already tracking to be the best selling game of the year based on pre-orders and it seems to have fulfilled that. We’re gonna be stuck in this EGS quagmire for some time, it all depends how long and which deals Tim’s gonna blow money on next.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
So with all the rumors of RDR2 and it now getting classified I figured I'd re-link this
As far as Red Dead2 goes hopefully this still rings true and it just means that they'll release on say... everywhere

It's from awhile ago but it's before the revamped social club, even then when it was just Steam/Social club for GTA 5 the way they steered people towards that was they kept steam super expensive (Even on sale) 50$~ while the Social Club GTA 5 was 40-35$ or lower for the longest time.

I sort of imagine they just want shitloads of money. So the more places selling it the more money.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
If you ask me, red dead 2 will be on epic and the rockstar thing. If a pub/Dev wants to release his IP on his own store, I don't blame them.
I'm also not angry because something is available on the EGS, in addition to other sources. That's okay too.

I'm boycotting third party exclusivity.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I got GTA 5 during the waning days of the Russia Bear IIRC...if not before :V
Hadn't started it yet :V
So Yeah I'ma get rdr2 when it is...$20 or less on Steam :coffee-blob:
My rig COULD run the game atm, but I have a 2014~2015 era set up and would much prefer to be able to play it while having a stronger rig :V

Anyways, here is my contribution to EGS for the day
"A game sold well on EGS you say?"

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I really dont think a late port would be a good candidate for exclusivity.
GTA VI tho...
And it is quite funny to see the ‘but the dev cut!’ Arguments. As if T2 isnt already swimming in money.

Reactions: unknownhero

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
As far as Red Dead2 goes hopefully this still rings true and it just means that they'll release on say... everywhere
they also said they're not interested in exclusivity ... and then like a week later made all their Private Division games egsclusive

GTA VI tho...
... will also be a late port

that's how rockstar operates ... it worked for them once (with V) so now they're gonna do it every single time to squeeze as much money out of people as possible

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
that's how rockstar operates
It worked great with GTA V.
I bought the PS3 version, then I bought the PS4 version because I wanted to own the definitive edition of the game. And then I bought the real definitive edition of the game on PC.

But to quote an old saying: Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I've waited this time around and if it's not EGS exclusive, I'll buy it. Once.

I'm pretty confident that read dead 2 pc numbers will be great, but I also hope that way fewer people double dipped this time around.

And I also hope that this strategy won't work in the future and that we'll get simultaneous releases.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
People congratulating Epic because people are buying moneyhatted games on their store are completely out of their minds imo.

"Wow, you took every other option away and now people are using your store, well done!"

I mean, come on...
I never understood the people who thought it was a great for gaming when EA gaining exclusive rights to the NFL for Madden, effectively killing NFL2K.

I don't understand this, either.

PC-Patriot

Press Any key, where the hell is it ?
Aug 5, 2019
Hey, isn't the content creation cut by Valve 30%? Or is this something different?
Nah this is for "influencers" you know twitch and youtube people they stream the game and try to convince people to buy it. The person buys it with their "sponsored" link and they get 20% commission which Epic is covering the cost for for at least 12 months.

I got to say this doesn't say "healthy" sales to me if you are having to up the amount you are willing to pay to streamers for selling your shit.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I got to say this doesn't say "healthy" sales to me if you are having to up the amount you are willing to pay to streamers for selling your shit.
Yup. If your game is super successful on your platform then you don't need to pay out of your own pocket (again) to push it. This is an indication that the game's sales are not as great as advertised on EGS, despite Randy's spin.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I wish 2K posted more concrete numbers after a month or two, fastest selling game in 5-days window ain't telling me shit if the sales will drop like a rock after a week or two. No doubt it was a success (which most of us expected) but I wonder how it would've performed if it was released on Steam?

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I wish 2K posted more concrete numbers after a month or two, fastest selling game in 5-days window ain't telling me shit if the sales will drop like a rock after a week or two. No doubt it was a success (which most of us expected) but I wonder how it would've performed if it was released on Steam?
I would bet good money that every game's sales on EGS have dropped like a rock after the launch window. Steam gives long tails to games because people have it running all the time and interact with it all the time, I doubt that people have EGS permanently running on their PC.

Edit: Just to be clear, I am referring to people who actually buy PC games, not people playing Fortnite.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Or,maybe, sale numbers are good and epic is pushing that hard to minimise steam numbers as much as possible. Whoever they persuade to buy the game now won't be buying it in 6 months.

Please do not forget. The question was never if games can sell on the EGS. The real question is: how many potential sales are you missing out on.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So elsewhere they report on the Borderlands 3 stuff without the 5-day period qualification as if it's their best selling LTD ever already, lol. So I replied with this:

Highest selling for the first 5 days past the launch, yet it's being recycled without the clarification by the usual EGS fanboys (like implying it already surpassed the lifetime sales of all their other PC games). Not that it matters, nobody said an AAA game with an AAA marketing campaign won't sell because of the choice of store, there are other issues at play (plenty of the issues were experienced by Borderlands 3 players, it just didn't affect the marketing hype and therefor sales). Equating the success of any Borderlands 3 (with no knowledge of its potential success had it not been exclusive anyway) with somehow nulifying every other non-AAA related argument against EGS is just a straw man argument and, again, something only fanboys do. Corporate apologists are weird, lol.
The sequel was purchased by 50 percent more consumers within its first five days of release than its predecessor Borderlands 2, making it the fastest-selling title in 2K Games history, as well as the highest-selling title for the label on PC in a five-day window.
Boycotts work, when they actually happen on a large scale. 100 people online saying they won't buy the game doesn't equal an organized boycott, obviously. People don't generally call their decision to not buy stuff without said organized large scale a boycott, that only happens online I guess, lol.

Last edited:

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Nah this is for "influencers" you know twitch and youtube people they stream the game and try to convince people to buy it. The person buys it with their "sponsored" link and they get 20% commission which Epic is covering the cost for for at least 12 months.

It's probably cheaper than traditional marketing -- buying ad space, etc.

Reactions: lashman

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com

This makes me think not enough streamers are streaming BL3. I'm sure Epic wants them charting higher.

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
Oh what the fuck, I really wanted to play Afterparty. When did they announce that exclusive?

Is it possible to download the Denuvo-less version of Arkham Knight from EGS, swap the .exe with the Steam one, and get better performance on the Steam version that way?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Oh what the fuck, I really wanted to play Afterparty. When did they announce that exclusive?
around E3, i believe (but we already suspected it to be one waaaaay before that)

Is it possible to download the Denuvo-less version of Arkham Knight from EGS, swap the .exe with the Steam one, and get better performance on the Steam version that way?
i believe so

Reactions: C-Dub

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
This makes me think not enough streamers are streaming BL3. I'm sure Epic wants them charting higher.
They went from Top 10 launch week to fluctuating around Top 15-20 this week on Twitch.

Considering all the effort Gearbox put into the streaming tools for BL3, I'd say that can't be exactly what they wanted. They sold their loot drop shit as a big deal.

Reactions: lashman