News Epic Games Store

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I, too, understand why smaller devs get the EGS money and i can live with it, and maybe buy their game if it is good and on sale on other stores.
But when i am judging if i buy a game, or a product, i am always asking myself if i am giving my money to assholes.
And then, do as needed.

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I, too, understand why smaller devs get the EGS money and i can live with it, and maybe buy their game if it is good and on sale on other stores.
But when i am judging if i buy a game, or a product, i am always asking myself if i am giving my money to assholes.
And then, do as needed.
I have said several times I dont blame indies that choose finantial safety over risk as they have already made a ton of risks to make the game. My problem is if they lie to my face or treat me like a baby.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
So Epic wants to be on Play Store but not pay the 30%, maybe Google will help out poor Epic.

Oh
You know, if Timmy starts publicly and consistently complaining to the media about Sony, MS, Nintendo, Google and Apple (and not just Steam) then at least he could claim consistency.
I could almost respect that.

He won't though. Because he's a coward.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Timmy only complained about Microsoft and Steam because he wanted to sell you an alternative. At least with UWP he kinda had a poin about the hassle of a closed platform.

I don't even know what he is doing calling Google Play illegal. He just wants to be on every storefront for free, the greedy asshole.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
He only complained about open market (PC and Android). He didn't say anything about walled garden (Sony, Nintendo, Apple).

Reactions: m_dorian

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
I will watch the EGS Sizzle Reel on Steam while playing Skatebird Demo and trying to win a Velve Index :shrugblob:

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I will watch the EGS Sizzle Reel on Steam while playing Skatebird Demo and trying to win a Velve Index :shrugblob:
i wonder how many of those games that will have demos on steam will end up being egsclusive ... probably like a half :p

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
This recent EGS talk these past couple of posts is some chick fil a shit.
I think that my personal stance on exclusivity and walled gardens may be the most hardline on this forum since I don't buy anything that isn't released on PC, I have never bought any consoles and I certainly won't buy any games that went EGS exclusive unless I find them in a bundle way down the line for peanuts. That's my personal choice and I don't expect anyone else to do the same. I believe that any amount of support that people can give to the fight against Epic is very welcome. As long as people give as little money to Epic as possible, ideally none, I am happy.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
i wonder how many of those games that will have demos on steam will end up being egsclusive ... probably like a half :p
What? You think developers would take Epic's money and still use Steam to promote their games? Surely they wouldn't do that.... :rolleyes: /s

So... a little over 30 hours to see how much Epic is going to double down on the second year.
They could at least do what MS/Sony does and splash a big "EXCLUSIVE" at the begining of the trailers so we don't have to keep looking for logos at the end after finding something interesting.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I think that my personal stance on exclusivity and walled gardens may be the most hardline on this forum since I don't buy anything that isn't released on PC, I have never bought any consoles and I certainly won't buy any games that went EGS exclusive unless I find them in a bundle way down the line for peanuts. That's my personal choice and I don't expect anyone else to do the same. I believe that any amount of support that people can give to the fight against Epic is very welcome. As long as people give as little money to Epic as possible, ideally none, I am happy.
As far as I'm concerned, the problem isn't so much Epic as the introduction of Exclusivity into the PC world, which remains the largest open platform. I think the best way to ensure this practice disappears is to make it financially ruinous and a brand-ruining decision. The stigma should last well after the expiration of the exclusivity period.

Having good Steam sales also carries a good message as you outlined in your previous post a page ago - EGS may represent a huge loss in mindshare (in the world of games, whatever you had a year ago has long since stopped being new today) and potential lifetime sales - but I don't believe it's as effective at combating Exclusivity as a business practice as what I described above.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
As for to buy or not a game after the exclusive period ends, there is no right decision.

If you don't buy it just solidifies the Pub/Dev decision to seek more exclusive deals, but at least it shows to people like Timmy that they product isn't worth the moneyhat.

If you buy it just shows Pubs/Devs that they can get away with locking they product for a period of time, but at least it also shows Pubs/Devs that people will wait for the game on they prefered plataform and maybe a delay on those people money is not that good.

The spectrum of Pubs/Devs who took the deal is so large, expending for a one person dev taem to fucking Ubisoft, that there is no one right awnser here, just do what is best for you.

For me I can safely ignore all the eggsclusives because I have so little time to play now days, and so much good shit are been releasing lately that the EGS games is just a crossed name on my list of whats next.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I feel like you guys overthink this buying issue a tad. A game flopping on EGS and being successfull on Steam ultimately means Epic burned money and a year of people's time for fucking nothing, and that isn't something they can keep doing no matter how big the Fortnite warchest is, they aren't insane.

At the end of the day, full boycott, sale or day 1 on Steam are the same result for Epic: they get jack shit, be it money or market/mindshare. And while I'm sure some publishers might think they'd get to have their cake and eat it by going exclusive into a success on Steam, Epic isn't some benevolent company that will just keep handing out exclusive deals to known duds, no matter how much they push their "savior of game devs" image, nor are they guaranteed a success on Steam - see Ashen.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I'm kind of disappointed to see another wave of EGS exclusives incoming. I was hoping Epic would stop making deals after a year, but I guess they are planning to keep doing it for at least another year.

The fact that Epic keeps doing it must also mean they consider this strategy a success, which actually makes me sad.

This recent EGS talk these past couple of posts is some chick fil a shit.
What exactly does this mean?
Another EGS exclusive from BigBen:

Seems like they are just puking out games made in a few weeks on EGS. I think they were also behind Bee Simulator and that Paranoia game?
Sadly also WRC8, which seems to be excellent. But anyway, publishers heavily supporting Epic's exclusivity strategy will be on my ignore list for a long time (BigBen, Annapurna and Deep Silver so far).

Last edited:

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Whenever talking about any issue it is really worth remembering that there are a lot of people discussing it. Just like the complaints about some people demanding HL:A on PSVR while also mocking PC Port Begging, those are (mostly) different people. There are people here hard-lining never buying a game that was once EGS exclusive, there are some here that don't care, and plenty in the middle. It's also possible for people to change their minds, of course.

The actual hypocrites are typically a minority and very rarely can be reasoned with anyway, on any issue, much less online in a semi-anonymous forum thread.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I'm kind of disappointed to see another wave of EGS exclusives incoming. I was hoping Epic would stop making deals after a year, but I guess they are planning to keep doing it for at least another year.

The fact that Epic keeps doing it must also mean they consider this strategy a success, which actually makes me sad.
It's called "fuck you money", and Epic has a lot of it. Don't stress too hard on it. It's honestly not worth it.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Chick fil a = desirable games on steam
Chick fil a does some dumb social shit = desirable games go on egs

Chick fil a's actions put off people strongly but same people still like their food

Chik fil a changes their stance and people breath sigh of relief that they can go to chick fil a with a clear conscience= desirable games finally release on steam after egglscoosivity

Guess it sounded better in my head :v

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Chick fil a = desirable games on steam
Chick fil a does some dumb social shit = desirable games go on egs

Chick fil a's actions put off people strongly but same people still like their food

Chik fil a changes their stance and people breath sigh of relief that they can go to chick fil a with a clear conscience= desirable games finally release on steam after egglscoosivity

Guess it sounded better in my head :v
Ok, I just replaced CFA with "desirable games on Steam" and it made sense, lol.

I guess the difference is, I actually stopped buying EGS games, and have yet to purchase a formally-EGS game from Steam.

I never stopped going to CFA, lol.

On another note, Hades is reviewing well.

Reactions: lashman and Tizoc

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Well Ashen seems to have completely bombed at its current price, maybe it will pick up during sales periods. Hades I'm still unsure of, there are currently 2,900 players in game which sounds ok but it's still lower than Pyre's peak which considered a failure. It's early access though so who knows.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I'm hearing a lot more buzz and interest in Hades than Ashen but i think that's because SuperGiant are an established team with a solid catalogue behind them.

Maybe Ashen has legs once word of mouth gets around but i think most people who wanted a Souls-A-Like looked into it when it launched in EA on EGS.

Reactions: lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Small TGA sale on EGS. Blands 3 and What the Golf went on sale quicker than I thought. Can't be doing that well. Will wait on Steam for them anyways.

Reactions: Alexandros

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
So over the course of one year, what has Epic done to improve the user experience?
They brought cloud saves but the implementation seems scattershot. Same for pre-loads. Shifted the layout of the store a tad. And... That's it? Maybe they're holding off on big news until the very end of the year, but I doubt it.

Things Galy talked about in the podcast last year but are still missing: achievements, user profiles, customer reviews, bandwidth management, launching non-EGS games,

Other basic stuff missing: wishlists, shopping cart, family sharing, gifting, screenshot shortcut, library management, space-efficient UI.

Last edited:

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
So over the course of one year, what has Epic done to improve the user experience?
They brought cloud saves but the implementation seems scattershot. Same for pre-loads. Shifted the layout of the store a tad. And... That's it? Maybe they're holding off on big news until the very end of the year, but I doubt it.
They introduced a Search Function that barely works.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

tl;dr hyper toxic steam fanboy.
I'm getting to a similar point as with Exclusive games when it comes to these articles. If the authors are so eager and impatient to write themselves into irrelevance, then I'm not going to stop them by even reading it. I'm tired of them misrepresenting both the points made against exclusivity/EGS and the people making them.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Well Ashen seems to have completely bombed at its current price, maybe it will pick up during sales periods. Hades I'm still unsure of, there are currently 2,900 players in game which sounds ok but it's still lower than Pyre's peak which considered a failure. It's early access though so who knows.
Hades is a roguelike which I view as a type of games better played in small doses.