News Epic Games Store

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So how does "throughout the years" get judged when BL3 hasn't been out for years? We can't tell if it's gaas or not yet? Especially with the numbers indicating interest could flop so maybe it won't get more DLC? Or has it already reached the magic gaas number by the season pass stuff? You didn't tell me the number. Need to know the number to know if Battleborn was or wasn't a gaas since it died before people bought too much shit, maybe it's like the BL2 flop what if.

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
Yes dude, Gearbox isn't going to milk their one single fat cow.

About as believable as Randy Pitchford being a decent person.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So the design intention you're sure of for BL3 matters after all, even before it does get so much DLC? But that goes against others where the results mattered.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
With Goose game selling 1 million, I cant help but wonder how much more it could have sold if it was released on Steam. Another million isnt that much of a stretch me thinks

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
I'm not sure why we've derailed onto the GaaS discussion, but... can't we just agree that the definition is not super clear?
It derives from SaaS, which on the other hand is very clear: you pay a subscription, you get a software and its updates for the foreseeable future.

GaaS is not strictly the same, mostly because games with an ongoing subscription are kind of a dying breed, replaced by microtransactions, which are rather rare in the software industry.
Though, I think the key concept is "foreseeable future", or "long term" if you prefer.

Fortnite is a GaaS because it's supposed to be supported (updated, kept alive) for years. The Witcher 3 is not a GaaS because it had 2 DLCs planned, and that was it.
Anything in between, like a Blands type of game, it's a bit of a gray area. But unless the game receive updates and events and stuff for years, I'm more inclined in not considering it a GaaS.

Last edited:

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
About GAAS, you can cleary design a game with the intention to be GAAS, with a roadmap of events and additional content, or you can transition into it later on in the games life after it had had much bigger success than expected, resulting on a constant playing fanbase you can start milking. There is not a clear barrier such as SAAS / subscribtion based MMOS.

On the other hand, some games that are build up as GAAS can flop up hard enough that you can hardly consider them GAAS because of the support being pulled out asap (looking at you Anthem). The issue lies that most GAAS-thought games tend to have such a large initial investment and sunken cost with the hopes of long term constant revenue that pulling the plug would be much more costly than trying to recoup it by continuing it (ie. Fallout 76).

Reactions: Wok and lashman

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
With Goose game selling 1 million, I cant help but wonder how much more it could have sold if it was released on Steam. Another million isnt that much of a stretch me thinks
What I want to know is how much of this million is Epic´s sales guarantee.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I would absolutely love to know the split between PC and Switch. I bet it's heavily lopsided.

Reactions: lashman

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
So what's the magic number that makes something gaas? 40?

What if BL2 had flopped and it only got 2 DLC as a result? It would not be gaas? Was Battleborn not gaas?

What if it only got the DLC due to its success rather than as an intent before release? Gaas anyway?

Everybody who is in agreement actually has been providing a completely different argument and explanation btw, but as you all agree you don't comment on it.
Thanks for not reading my post at all.

GaaS isn’t a genre, it’s a marketing strategy. The number of DLCs is not the catalyst here and you’re being disingenuous and obtuse. Borderlands games survive based on gradual drips of content over longer periods of time instead of everything being in the base game. I’m not even using GaaS as an insult and I don’t think it’s fair to, I literally just admitted to being an avid Destiny player after all - by every sane definition, Borderlands is a game-as-a-service. No contest.

Reactions: unknownhero

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
That's actually a crazy-good freebie. I wonder how much that cost them.

Reactions: Recrees

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018

One could expect the game to appear in a Choice bundle soon.
Oh yeah, no doubt. If you're willing to give your game away for free then it's not long before it'll be on Game Pass or Humble. Or both.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Out of all the freebies, Impossible Lair and TABS are the ones I don't already know. Will at least play Impossible Lair.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada

One could expect the game to appear in a Choice bundle soon.
Are they extending their free game a week promo again to 2020? Seems like tomorrow's freebies are going back to that schedule.

Also next games are Darksiders and Steep by Ubisoft. Too bad they already gave out Steep on uplay a while back.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I do get amused at all the people I've seen say that yooka is what got them to use EGS considering like 300 people bought it. Didn't realize it was secretly hyped but everyone was just waiting for sweeney to bankroll it.
Highly-rated game, and released in 2019, unlike some of those games that are years old.

If I had purchased it, I'd be mad AF.

Reactions: Chudah

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
I do get amused at all the people I've seen say that yooka is what got them to use EGS considering like 300 people bought it. Didn't realize it was secretly hyped but everyone was just waiting for sweeney to bankroll it.
I'm still waiting for Sweeny to bank roll some super obscure visual novel translations...Thinking I might be waiting forever for that, though.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Highly-rated game, and released in 2019, unlike some of those games that are years old.

If I had purchased it, I'd be mad AF.
I 've purchased it a few days ago and I'm fine with it. I rather pay for my games than getting them for free on EGS.
So the free games continue in 2019. What a surprise ☺

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Nothing is free. Taking the bait serves a purpose. Boosting numbers helps future money hats.
I would also like to add this:

If you wanna take the games, take them. We won't judge you, we don't control your life and money. But just don't pretend that there won't be any consequences of doing so in the future of the PC platform.

As Monooboe says, it is not about the games. Epic can afford to give a copy of Sekiro to all of us if they wanted to. It is about expanding their reach. And when they dominate the market, things might not necessarily develop to our favor.

My point of reference will always be PlayStation Plus. Sony suffered the worst data breach/outage up to that point (how many stories of hacked Epic accounts have you heard?), and they got away with giving two games from a frankly shitty list. And not only that, they lured everyone into Plus by offering 'free games every month' for a low price. And them bam, they paywalled the multiplayer for Plus members only. And people CHEERED for it, just because they have 'owned' Microsoft.

You're kidding yourself if you think Epic won't try something funny like this. It is the nature of capitalism.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
The whole point of the free games is to eventually psychologically make people give in and use the store by going "well I already have X number of games in the library I may as well use it". That threshold is different for everyone, but it doesn't change the fact that it's their goal to eclipse that barrier. If you see the era thread for this sale you can already see this taking effect. People are even starting to "feel sorry" for Epic by claiming the free games and not spending anything (which is beyond absurd). Not to mention that yes it does add to their metrics that they can use in possible exclusivity deals with publishers. Something about we have _ users using the store (though they won't say only so many actually buy stuff though. They'll leave that part out).

So yeah claim the free games if you absolutely have to but be aware that you're still potentially contributing to the problem.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
The whole point of the free games is to eventually psychologically make people give in and use the store by going "well I already have X number of games in the library I may as well use it".
This is actually a smart strategy, because "all my games are on Steam" is a reason to ignore other storefronts for many pc gamers.

Also, while Epic's reputation is terrible among the older pc gaming enthusiasts, many younger and casual gamers love them because of Fortnite and the dozens of free games.

As I said before: Epic is playing the long game here, and they will keep money hatting and giving away free games until they reach their goal. They have plenty of (private) money to do so. The media keeps shilling for Epic as well, as proved by this week's article on GameSpot. Last months celebrations that EGS failed are premature imo.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I played a bit of Yooka, and I dunno. I don't know if I'mma go back to it. I love the modern DK games, but this is missing something.

Reactions: ISee

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Not to mention that yes it does add to their metrics that they can use in possible exclusivity deals with publishers. Something about we have _ users using the store (though they won't say only so many actually buy stuff though. They'll leave that part out).

So yeah claim the free games if you absolutely have to but be aware that you're still potentially contributing to the problem.
I mean, if publishers/devs are dumb enough to not ask actual details about the info of actual paying customers (and not just for Fortnite/f2p mtx) and instead just go with whatever epic spouts and boasts about mau and ccu and whatever else then that's on them being honestly stupid, not the guys playing the games.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee and Chudah

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Dude, you're so attention seeking it's unreal, I hope things are well at home or whatever but this isn't the place to vent and this venting isn't at all justified by what has been said on a damn forum about damn vidya gaems. As far as I saw you started the whole thing by preemptively being aggressive and judgemental yourself, towards the whole forum, meta, whatever you call it, and people who would disagree with you and judge you by way of not giving you many likes ffs, of course people didn't respond well to that. Then you couldn't let it go and kept it up with asking how to hide likes altogether in public, which is pretty damn clear why you would do that just to reference that shitty point about likes you get yet people responded decently with courtesy, changing your name to make a statement every time you post even if unrelated, though you didn't last and have to announce why you did it all over again, come on, it's a pathetic cry for attention and nothing more. I hope the new year brings good things your way and you get over it but I don't think any of this helps you do it, it's not healthy.

Last edited:

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
The whole point of the free games is to eventually psychologically make people give in and use the store by going "well I already have X number of games in the library I may as well use it". That threshold is different for everyone, but it doesn't change the fact that it's their goal to eclipse that barrier. If you see the era thread for this sale you can already see this taking effect. People are even starting to "feel sorry" for Epic by claiming the free games and not spending anything (which is beyond absurd). Not to mention that yes it does add to their metrics that they can use in possible exclusivity deals with publishers. Something about we have _ users using the store (though they won't say only so many actually buy stuff though. They'll leave that part out).

Yeah, I didn't claim any free game on EGS.
But we have to differentiate the psychological barrier of:
  • using the Store ("Well I already own xyz, whatever, it's just a store")
  • and have a reason to open the store on a constant basis.
I own over a hundred games outside of Steam (a fifth of my complete game ownership) In order of games owned: GoG, Origin, uPlay, BNET, and a fuckton of single-game launchers. I never open these stores unless there is a game that I know beforehand that I want to play or buy. I recently deinstalled origin because it wanted to constantly open itself (wtf is going on)
You need eyes on the Store, you need to give a reason for the customers to auto start the store, to let it left open when not playing a game. Thats how you convert freeloaders and black-friday shoppers to loyal customers.

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
I don’t even know where to begin, you clearly didn’t actually “extensively play” Destiny if you think it didn’t had “actual RPG” elements and that your build didn’t matter. I guess we’re just ignoring Melting Point with shotgun that’s rolled Trench Barrel, or Hunters using Way of a Thousand Knives with One-Two Punch guns, or the fact that the best DPS in the game right now is achieved witha Titan using Ward of Dawn, a Warlock using Lunafaction Boots, and everyone with Izanagi’s Burden.
Dude I got all classes maxed out / decked out, granted I didn't play the last expansion which brought armor 2.0 that apparently forced people to spec into traits but miss me with all rpg talk in Destiny, forever lol. There's quite a HUGE difference between having three skill trees with barely any skills in them (which all got variations and you can only use one of them at a time) topped by an ultimate, and borderlands where you can drastically change the way guns will interact with your character to begin with, influence the direct gun damage / elemental damage, and also if you'd knew what you were talking about to begin with, toying around with damage modifiers on elemental with some specific guns giving ricochets when you do critical hits. You can also have more than one elemental damage at once by being crafty with the anointments, and all the effects are COMPLETELY changed by how you spec into the trees.

In destiny you'd be hard pressed to even change the RoF by changing stuff in the trees, because that stuff doesn't exist, its all perks on guns (by that I mean specific "skills", not like the titan's barrier making you shoot without reloading for x amount of time)

And guess what ? all of this is in BL since the first one

Damage debuffs needing to be applied also are a thing in BL, and theres much more types of damage as well as actually moving enemies, who also have much less generous critboxes / hitboxes. You can go on all day, it will still be false on your end

Borderlands absolutely has microtransactions in the form of its costume packs. Just because you don’t buy them in an in-game shop, and have to back out and get them through PSN or XBL instead, doesn’t mean they’re not microtransactions. They’re cosmetics with a small fee attached. What do you call that?
Yeah 3 has a couple of packs (like 5 for 5 bucks each) and I agree they're microtransactions, I got carried away with the lootboxes and shit in mind first and foremost, my bad

It’s not a worthless term, it’s a consistently misused one because people keep using “GaaS” like it’s some kind of genre of game. It’s not, it’s a monetization method, and yes, any game that is designed around monetizing itself by retaining a player base by continually adding content absolutely qualifies as GaaS. Borderlands 3 will likely receive content and updates for the next year or so because it wants a dedicated fan base that will continue to buy DLC, which has a significantly better return on expenses than the base game does. Payday 2 did not require an internet connection and did not have a persistent world, but put out monthly DLC and updates and kept itself alive for four years because of a dedicated base of players (even if it sucked.) GaaS is specifically referring to a marketing strategy where games compete to become the one game you play all the time, so you’ll continue to invest in it on DLC or microtransactions that have a WAY bigger ratio of profit to new content than releasing a new $60 sequel every year.

Borderlands only doesn’t count as GaaS if you think the only GaaS games are MMOs.
It ain't a gaas solely because you don't need to access the service to play it, and you can play it offline. You re absolutely describing the patterns

Back on EGS talk, I did grab Exodus gold edition for 19€. Absolutely worth it at that price

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Whatever, I always thought you were an asshole too! :) Ever from my first interaction with you.

Feels wonderful to say. Get fucked, to you, without worrying how I look. You chased me off once, you'll have to remove me this time.
I don't even know what you're talking about, when/if we interacted, but ok. I don't care to remove anyone, swearing or not, that's in your head, stay and do it all.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I played a bit of Yooka, and I dunno. I don't know if I'mma go back to it. I love the modern DK games, but this is missing something.
I've collected 11 bees so far, and I'm really enjoying it. I love the overworld puzzles as well.