News Epic Games Store

Vantr

Feb 15, 2021
Also doesn't help that EGS have gotten their users accustomed to using coupons so once those go there's no incentive to spend. But I think the biggest fuck up for EGS is the community and lack of community features.

Community features let me know what games my friends own/wishlisted/playing so I can take a look at the store page to see if it interests me. The Steam community can see what the rest of the community is playing with CCU numbers. You also get to know when a game gets big and to jump on the hype train based on CCU as well. We've seen that with Valhiem, Loop Hero and Outriders. I can honestly say that I wasn't interested in buying Valhiem and Outriders at first but once I heard they hit 300k and 100k CCU I was thinking I should check them out.

As for the community it doesn't help that EGS soured their reputation with a chunk of the PC Gaming community with their aggressive exclusive deals. It will be hard to build that community because of that. There might be a group of friends and while one of them might be okay with purchasing on EGS because they provide good deals but there would likely be another friend in that group that disagrees with EGS exclusivity and in that situation they would probably end up staying on Steam. The only people I can see using EGS regularly are those that are hunting for a bargin.

Typing this up I've started to think that maybe EGS should have became a 3rd party key reseller instead. They can have a 12/88 cut so developers are happy. Valve gets 0% of the money so Timmy is happy. Epic actually makes money and doesn't have to develop features so Epic is happy. Games stay on Steam so consumers are happy.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Hahah, I had a similar thought about Epic making more sense as a third party reseller. It would have kept them shielded if they wanted to exit the market at any time while still leverging their purported goals for a better split towards developers. In all likelihood, it would have been profitable shortly out the gate and not taking nearly 9 years to see any cumulative profit in any forecast.

I think they only opted as a game store since they felt it made sense as an extension of their game engine services and would tie into their future plans as a publisher (i.e. Become a one stop shop for all things gaming). Now I also think they are really trying to lean into it as a talking point in their legal cases, so much so, that I have to at least wonder if the operate in a particular way to use as evidence for those cases. Truthfully, I wonder what happens if the legal cases go south and/or the publishing fails to be profitable. Though they may also be trying to spin into a publicly traded company, so who knows.

If they ever did go public, the market has proven speculation based only on user counts is enough to drive valuation to high numbers, actual profits can follow later so maybe that is in their cards to keep things floating along. Then they could always pull the ultimate tech move and be acquired by a larger tech company if profits fail to be meaningful. Maybe Apple will be in that market by then :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I don't see how they ever make their store profitable with the 12% cut. They are basically trying to run a non profit business in an industry where there is so much money to be made and everyone is so greedy. Everything is designed to squeeze every last penny from every party. Epic is getting worked by left n right by pubs/devs.

They would have probably been good at 20 or 25% cut from the beginning. Maybe incentivize their employees to build a better store with that extra revenue. When you are losing as much money as they are now its no wonder the store is still a pile of trash. No one is probably even allowed to waste time/resources on making it better.

Its also funny how so many want Valve to do the same and lower the cut. If Steam was losing 300 million every year I bet Gabe would have shut every thing down and sold the company off years ago.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Wow. I honestly expected Epic to be making bank (not as much as Steam or anything of course, just a nice sum at least) despite everything.

It always seemed like a bad deal for the developers and as if Epic get exclusives for FREE since I assumed they set semi-realistic pre-paid sales goals that most decent games will at least eventually reach. So that the same funds would then go on to acquire another exclusive, and another, and another, as they eventually sell more than the pre-paid sales and then it's like they never paid any extra, they just paid part of their actual sales earlier and still got an exclusive period for it.

Yet from this it seems that they more often than not don't ever reach those targets or even close to them so Epic takes a loss.

For a small statement like that, it's a lot of condemning information for their practices and expectations for others to follow them as better, or at all viable.

Last edited:

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I can't imagine them ever being profitable when their only draw is free games, or selling games at a loss. If they stop doing that, the userbase they trained to never spend money will disappear.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
The huge money loss was always apparent but more so when Epic willingly gave out numbers and showed flat numbers in 2020 vs 2019, in a year where literally everyone else had explosive growth due to the pandemic. But what it really shows is the key problem Epic had from day 1: What's the reason to use EGS over Steam? The only logical answer was always disruptive things like paid moneyhats. Even EGS defenders would admit that was the only way they could compete with Steam.

So this brings me to the question I asked people in 2018 but for some reason it's treated as some kind of taboo in many places: Why does Steam need competition? Everyone always uses the tired adage of competition is always good but no one wants to really examine what that statement means. The implication of competition being good is that it will spur a war between companies to benefit consumers. But in reality this only really happens when the industry in question is largely stagnant, as in one or a couple of companies control it but don't really do anything with that power and usually make the user experience frustrating (like american ISPs for example, or Intel in the CPU market).

Was this happening to PC gaming? Think back to late 2018, were people going around saying "man I like PC gaming but steam just makes it too much of a pain in the ass"? No, people were happy and generally only concerned with late ports arriving or possibly never arriving. Was Valve doing nothing with their so-called monopoly? No, as has been proven constantly they bring out many new features every single year...it's just that they don't communicate that well and sometimes it's features you may not care about (so naturally that means they don't count).

So why did PC gaming need a massively disruptive and aggravating force? If the only way EGS or anyone can compete is by doing moves that aggravate consumers, that tells me that the industry was already in an extremely healthy place prior to their arrival. It was the answer to a non existent problem. I'm sure all of you have seen defenders say "well they can never compete or catch up with steam on features so they have to do this". That's not a clear sign that EGS is unnecessary?

Too often the online dialog (not here, in general I mean) gets emotional and hostile and you get accusations of being a fanboy or whatever, but for me the EGS thing was always a question of "what can you do for me" and their answer was "uhh idk take away your purchasing options I guess?" And that's all the answer could ever be, because their existence was never needed in the first place.
Totally agree.

Reactions: lashman

Gengis Khan

Goodfella
Jan 26, 2019
Italy
mgmboxeisland.com
Another aspect about the EGS that annoys the hell out of me is that its entire business strategy is basically built over straight-up anti-competitive practices.

We can sort of laugh about it only because Steam is around being the "bigger fish in the pond" (at least in terms of digital market share), but without it what we'd be witnessing is a billionaire company trying to bully any other small competitor out of the market with predatory pricing, exclusivity deals and other unsustainable practices.

Last edited:

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
Another aspect about the EGS that annoys the hell out of me is that its entire business strategy is basically built over straight-up anti-competitive practices.

We can sort of laugh about it only because Steam is around being the "bigger fish in the pond" (at least in terms of digital market share), but without it what we'd be witnessing is a billionaire company trying to bully any other small competitor out of the market with predatory pricing, exclusivity deals and other unsustainable practices.
I know these conversations everywhere always come back to Steam and Valve, but, this is why I'm more worried about smaller stores that aren't Steam like GOG. They don't have the ability to match Epic's spending.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
How on earth EGS will be profitable in 2023 escapes me. I don't think their strategy works as well as they think it does but then again they have access to info I don't so I can't form a solid judgement.

Apart from the fact that Sweeney is an a hole and hasn't seen my money, of course.

• Love
Reactions: Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
How on earth EGS will be profitable in 2023 escapes me
Unless Epic stops with moneyhatting and free games that year - which is rather unlikely - the only way I see this happening is if their own published games are lifetime EGS exclusive and sell REALLY well.

Epic probably also bets on more revenue when there are more games on their store, which is what they seem to focus on right now.

Reactions: m_dorian

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
The EGS was never designed to be profitable short term and it won't be for a while at this rate. I don't think Epic cares as long as they have other actually profitable businesses.
I also wonder if the point was ever to become profitable or this whole experiment is just Tim Sweeney with a grudge. His twitter has shown he's very Trumpian at times and he's already proven he's willing to sabotage a massive chunk of his golden goose by taking Apple to court. He can afford to do all this since they're a private company, he'd have been booted by shareholders a while ago if they were public and tried half of this nonsense.

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
Well, three to seven years is a pretty long time. There's no assurances that current users only who visit to get free games won't stay so forever (the fact that they use Epic launcher itself suggests they have potential to be won over, at least compared to those who outright boycott the client).
So maybe Epic hopes to establish some sort of brand royalty in their current userbase; Apple vs Epic debacle revealed that these two companies are similar in their scumminess (they just behave different due to having different amount of strength), so wouldn't surprise me if Epic is looking to replicate the success of the former.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
[UWSL]Epic probably also bets on more revenue when there are more games on their store, which is what they seem to focus on right now.[/UWSL]
Despite more games on the store, most of them have been given for free. How do they gain more revenue when the games have been free?

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
EGS already failed, the only thing that can save it now is if Timmy manages to moneyhat all the games without paying big bucks.

Question now is, if they keep it running(UT4) or if they shut it down(Paragon).

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Despite more games on the store, most of them have been given for free. How do they gain more revenue when the games have been free?
I assume Epic meant they want more games on their store to sell, not only to give away for free 😋

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Well, three to seven years is a pretty long time. There's no assurances that current users only who visit to get free games won't stay so forever (the fact that they use Epic launcher itself suggests they have potential to be won over, at least compared to those who outright boycott the client).
So maybe Epic hopes to establish some sort of brand royalty in their current userbase; Apple vs Epic debacle revealed that these two companies are similar in their scumminess (they just behave different due to having different amount of strength), so wouldn't surprise me if Epic is looking to replicate the success of the former.
You have to remember that the numbers don't take into account anyone using the client (and thus an active user) for engine/development purposes and, never touch the store. At least I've never seen this mentioned anywhere

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
I also wonder if the point was ever to become profitable or this whole experiment is just Tim Sweeney with a grudge.
Honestly, I always got the sense that a lot of this was (at least partially) motivated by a grudge or an axe to grind with Valve. I don't really have any evidence to believe this, though, it's really more of a hunch. It's also pretty funny to imagine Sweeney seeing all the memes about Lord Gaben and just seething and thinking "That should be me!!!" He comes off as enough of an egotistical weirdo that I have a pretty easy time picturing it lol.

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
Honestly, I always got the sense that a lot of this was (at least partially) motivated by a grudge or an axe to grind with Valve. I don't really have any evidence to believe this, though, it's really more of a hunch. It's also pretty funny to imagine Sweeney seeing all the memes about Lord Gaben and just seething and thinking "That should be me!!!" He comes off as enough of an egotistical weirdo that I have a pretty easy time picturing it lol.
Even if Sweeney doesn't have an axe to grind, we know for a fact several developers who have taken EGS deals have. Randy Pitchford has had an irrational hatred for Valve across all his social media accounts ever since Gaben stepped in to say his bizarre story about the origin of Gearbox's name was false.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
So why did PC gaming need a massively disruptive and aggravating force? If the only way EGS or anyone can compete is by doing moves that aggravate consumers, that tells me that the industry was already in an extremely healthy place prior to their arrival. It was the answer to a non existent problem. I'm sure all of you have seen defenders say "well they can never compete or catch up with steam on features so they have to do this". That's not a clear sign that EGS is unnecessary?
I mean, your post is correct from end user (gamer) perspective - Steam is awesome, everyone loves it, and the few people who don't, love GOG instead.

But Sweeney has always been about the developer perspective. "We developers are the ones who invest and spend years of our lives to make games. We should therefore make lot more than 70% from our games when we do all the work and stores can operate with significantly lower cut while still being profitable."

That is the issue he wants to change. And I do not begrudge him for it; if he had chosen better approach, such as making EGS:

• functionally better than steam, perhaps also offering Epic's version of GOG connect
  • offered better prices on most games due to Epic's voucher
  • offered free games
  • offered exclusive games fully funded by Epic (and thus zero moneyhatted away third parties)
  • was much better marketed

I would applaud him for it.

Sadly, he had chosen the antagonizing way. We will see if it will be successful, but I doubt it. Carrot would work better than the stick.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I mean, your post is correct from end user (gamer) perspective - Steam is awesome, everyone loves it, and the few people who don't, love GOG instead.

But Sweeney has always been about the developer perspective. "We developers are the ones who invest and spend years of our lives to make games. We should therefore make lot more than 70% from our games when we do all the work and stores can operate with significantly lower cut while still being profitable."

That is the issue he wants to change. And I do not begrudge him for it; if he had chosen better approach, such as making EGS:

• functionally better than steam, perhaps also offering Epic's version of GOG connect
  • offered better prices on most games due to Epic's voucher
  • offered free games
  • offered exclusive games fully funded by Epic (and thus zero moneyhatted away third parties)
  • was much better marketed

I would applaud him for it.

Sadly, he had chosen the antagonizing way. We will see if it will be successful, but I doubt it. Carrot would work better than the stick.
The main problem with his approach is not the strategy itself; it is the attitude behind it. His main way of attracting developers is by providing monetary incentives. His main way of attracting customers is by removing every other option. It is indicative of a sense of entitlement that a few developers have regarding customer purchasing behavior, fueled by decades of exclusivity shenanigans on console. Some of them find the idea of a customer not buying a game almost offensive. You as a gamer are expected to support developers at all costs while they retain the privilege of fucking you over if business reasons call for it.

I love games and the people who make them as much as everyone else here but I don't like it when the industry tries to exploit that love and manipulate me. That's why my advice has always been, treat games as a product. You don't owe anyone a purchase if you are not satisfied with the terms offered.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Bad Valve cuz you can't use Steam friends on Playstation, Xbox, Epic, Windows Store or GoG.
Pretty much. Cross-platform is fantastic, but asking a distribution platform to share its competitive, hard-earned advantage with you and pouting when they don't is a little... Sweeney. Also, exclusives, why can't you use Epic games on Steam? Bad cross-platform :(

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Among Trees
The game is in Early Access on EGS since June 2020. The price was lowered to 12,99 Euro from 15,99 Euro. The last update was in November 2020. The link to the official forum was removed from the official website.

I think the game is dead.
They either took the money and ran, or they released something just to get the clock ticking on exclusivity and had no real intention of doing an Early Access period.

We'll see in June.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
They either took the money and ran, or they released something just to get the clock ticking on exclusivity and had no real intention of doing an Early Access period.

We'll see in June.
The exclusivity deal is 15 months for some reason. So we wont see until September.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Among Trees
The game is in Early Access on EGS since June 2020. The price was lowered to 12,99 Euro from 15,99 Euro. The last update was in November 2020. The link to the official forum was removed from the official website.

I think the game is dead.
It is not(?) as they keep talking on Twitter and a few days ago confirmed the game is coming to other PC platforms in 6 months.

Among Trees is 15 month exclusive btw.
This is correct, the only one that has been over 12 months officially (in terms of timing, not when it stopped being exclusive per say)

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
With 800 permanent employees Creative Assembly (CA) represents the largest UK games developer.

The studio has grown by over 20% in the last year and continues to grow its community of fans including the 7.5 million players who rushed to claim A Total War Saga: TROY in a single day in August 2020. The 20-year-old Total War series has sold more than 36 million standalone games and sees over 1.5million players each month.

Unfortunately no data about sales after free giveaway, which is sad because it doesn't help build a general picture (well, or maybe it does in a very negative way)

Also, in case you still thought the top is not manual, Troy just popped up today after all this months. No sale, no update just an external article [UWSL]:upside-down-face:[/UWSL]

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Reactions: curi0usBystander

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
As far as I can tell, EGS top sellers are updated once a day at 11 PM EST. I don't think there's any grand conspiracy, just the fact EGS sales figures are not that great.

It is really weird that the Steam Spy guy, the guy who wanted to get the actual numbers and stats for Steam sales is happy to have a Top Sellers list on his store that seems to be just made up.
Gonna go on a tangent here but I cannot stand that guy. He spent years writing FUD articles about the death of indie games on Steam all while using Steam's data to help launch EGS and poach the first wave of exclusives. It just feels skeezy.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I wonder how awful Horizon is selling on EGS. It didn't even appear on the best selling titles on that 2020 graph they published.

Actually since Blands 3 and Hitman 3 is currently on top row I wonder how badly everything else is selling, if the list is actually accurate that is and not made up (which I still think it is until I get proof that says it's not made up).

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Gonna go on a tangent here but I cannot stand that guy. He spent years writing FUD articles about the death of indie games on Steam all while using Steam's data to help launch EGS and poach the first wave of exclusives. It just feels skeezy.
yup, this ... all of this ... 100%

Reactions: C-Dub and Swenhir

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Sony dumped another $200 million into Epic. I remember a lot of concerns about future PS ports being EGS exclusive after their first round of funding last year and it hasn't materialized yet so it's probably nothing to get too worried about yet.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018

Sony dumped another $200 million into Epic. I remember a lot of concerns about future PS ports being EGS exclusive after their first round of funding last year and it hasn't materialized yet so it's probably nothing to get too worried about yet.
It's not always related to games but technology, in the same way that the other holders are not videogame companies but monetary entities, so yeah, it's not always about making this or that exclusive but more about what they can get with that investment with technology and some other contractual obligations.

This is more about Epic Games and less about Epic Games Store :cat-heart-blob:

Reactions: lashman and Arc

prudis

anime occult member
Sep 19, 2018
The Kingdom of Beer and Porn
twitter.com

reading up ... its apparently for the Fortnite Metaverse idea

so yay for more branding and ads in online games :grimacing-face:

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
So this brings me to the question I asked people in 2018 but for some reason it's treated as some kind of taboo in many places: Why does Steam need competition? Everyone always uses the tired adage of competition is always good but no one wants to really examine what that statement means. The implication of competition being good is that it will spur a war between companies to benefit consumers. But in reality this only really happens when the industry in question is largely stagnant, as in one or a couple of companies control it but don't really do anything with that power and usually make the user experience frustrating (like american ISPs for example, or Intel in the CPU market).

Was this happening to PC gaming? Think back to late 2018, were people going around saying "man I like PC gaming but steam just makes it too much of a pain in the ass"? No, people were happy and generally only concerned with late ports arriving or possibly never arriving. Was Valve doing nothing with their so-called monopoly? No, as has been proven constantly they bring out many new features every single year...it's just that they don't communicate that well and sometimes it's features you may not care about (so naturally that means they don't count).

Too often the online dialog (not here, in general I mean) gets emotional and hostile and you get accusations of being a fanboy or whatever, but for me the EGS thing was always a question of "what can you do for me" and their answer was "uhh idk take away your purchasing options I guess?" And that's all the answer could ever be, because their existence was never needed in the first place.
These are really good points, particularly about competition. Competition isn't a good in and of itself, it's only useful when it improves conditions for consumers. Otherwise we don't care. EGS just isn't doing that. What they are doing is really weird and whether it succeeds or fails it won't ever achieve anything good. EGS is openly anti-consumer and some seem to prefer that we welcome the competition regardless of our preferences. It's completely bizarre.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018