News Epic Games Store

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
i don't think they're mandated to say stuff like that ... but i DO believe they think it's true ...
Well... I don't really think there is a clause to treat people like idiots :p

But I don't know, I find it hard to believe that people involved in gaming from Chile are that misinformed of Steam regional features (and problems as well). I suppose it's possible, but they at the very least didn't do any research (or a quick google search) on the subject and are now doubling down when challenged on Twitter.

Not a good look either way, at least for me.

Reactions: Rogue Agent

Deleted member 113

Guys, we had our laugh at their expense, but seriously, do not give free publicity to these people.
There are plenty of developers who don't resort to antagonizing their potential customers, lets put the "good guys" under the spotlight instead.

Gengis Khan

Goodfella
Jan 26, 2019
Italy
mgmboxeisland.com
Did anyone else notice that Epic is collecting some massive L's in these last days?

While smug indie developers make asses of themselves on twitter and Epic keeps getting exclusives of dubious value, in just few days we had Bungie transfering their flagship game on Steam, Larian announcing that Baldur's Gate 3 will be only on Steam and GoG and not on the EGS and Microsoft announcing that they are going to sell more and more of their first party titles on Steam.

Not to be TOO optimist about it, but it's starting to look like a boxing match where one opponent is landing pit-pats all night just to be crushed in the late rounds with few heavy hooks on the liver and the chin.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Did anyone else noticed that Epic is collecting some massive L's in these last days?

While smug indie developers make asses of themselves on twitter and Epic keeps getting exclusives of dubious value, in just few days we had Bungie transfering their flagship game on Steam, Larian announcing that Baldur's Gate 3 will be only on Steam and GoG and not on the EGS and Microsoft announcing that they are going to sell more and more of their first party titles on Steam.
Bethesda is also about to bring out Doom Eternal which is also coming to Steam. (Can't wait)

and we were all sitting here a few weeks ago dreading E3.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
in just few days we had Bungie transfering their flagship game on Steam, Larian announcing that Baldur's Gate 3 will be only on Steam and GoG and not on the EGS and Microsoft announcing that they are going to sell more and more of their first party titles on Steam.
yeah, finally some good news ... not just "this game is going to be exclusive" and "that game is going to be exclusive"

and we were all sitting here a few weeks ago dreading E3.
well, i mean - the PCEpic Gamer Show will still mostly be exclusives, i bet

but at least we have a few games to look forward to as well - so that's always nice :)

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
yeah, finally some good news ... not just "this game is going to be exclusive" and "that game is going to be exclusive"

but at least we have a few games to look forward to as well - so that's always nice :)
After all the recent announcements on top of the EGS exclusivity deals expiring throughout 2020. I'm sure we'll be fine skipping a few games, we got a lot to look forward to as it is. :cat-heart-blob:

Reactions: xinek and lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
After all the recent announcements on top of the EGS exclusivity deals expiring throughout 2020. I'm sure we'll be fine skipping a few games, we got a lot to look forward to as it is.
depends on the games :p lol

i kid, i kid - i mostly don't care ... there is no game in existence that would force me to use their shitty store, so they can take whatever they want

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
honestly? i don't think it's even that .... what i think has happened here is this: they never really made any other game (that i'm aware of ... or at least haven't released anything on steam themselves) ... and here's suddenly epic with all their advertising etc. ... so they noticed all those ads and articles and contacted them to see what they can offer them ... and then epic comes in and probably tells them a lot of bullshit about steam (which they don't even bother verifying themselves) and how awful it is .... fast forward a few weeks - and here we are

i don't think they're mandated to say stuff like that ... but i DO believe they think it's true ...
The world of business to business is filled with madness and complete lack of critical thinking so I'm not really surprised that they bought into Epic's little presentation. They are very vindictive about it but the underlying problem is the same for many of the studios that signed with them : they don't dare say "Hold up a minute, this is wrong". I've talked to some of them on twitter at the beginning of this whole thing and it was like exchanging words with a corporate talking head.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
That's very likely. But Epic's exclusives won't come close to the blockbusters Steam is getting from Microsoft, Bungie and Bethesda. Most of them will be indie games, with the exception of RDR2 (which is a beautiful but not a good game imo)

I’d respond to them with a bunch of fighting games exclusive to steam that are all better than Omens but they’d probably block me
What's wrong with these guys :LOL:

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
(Maybe this is one of those "any publicity is good publicity" cases)
I mean hard to do good publicity when your game has been out for 7 months, no one really knew or cared and you can show off a mesmerizing metascore of 64 for the PC launch. So yeah, probably one of those cases.

EDIT: Also yeah, people should just ignore them altogether.

Reactions: xinek and Milena

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
It's interesting that Metro Exodus will be available both on Stadia and the Windows Store, despite Epic paying for 12 months of exclusivity. Is this another PR move so Epic can say "look, these games aren"t exclusive"?

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
It's interesting that Metro Exodus will be available both on Stadia and the Windows Store, despite Epic paying for 12 months of exclusivity. Is this another PR move so Epic can say "look, these games aren"t exclusive"?
Well to be fair Stadia is considered a new platform. Not PC. So these EGS deals dont affect it.

Reactions: Ge0force

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I never had a problem similar to what the Warframe dev experienced when buying on Steam. I know that Steam is not the perfect place but they carried PC gaming alone when Epic and the rest were turning their backs.
And many indie devs came to recognition and success through Steam.

Something many people forget to mention.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I think part of the "Steam is bad" (as a client) comes from it's interface being pretty old and not super sleek and fancy and shit for some people.
I bet once the new client design is rolled out, it will suddenly be good (provided it looks modern and all that), even if it none of the features change.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
I think part of the "Steam is bad" (as a client) comes from it's interface being pretty old and not super sleek and fancy and shit for some people.
I bet once the new client design is rolled out, it will suddenly be good (provided it looks modern and all that), even if it none of the features change.
Don’t worry they’ll just move on and complain about curation or some shit. “Any game below mine is SHOVELWARE”

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I do wonder why people care enough to even call them out. I had never heard of their game before, and I still don't see why I should care.
yeah, pretty much ... to be completely honest - the first time i heard about this game was in this thread, lol :p and i actually DO follow gaming news pretty closely

so it says A LOT about their game, lol

Deleted member 113

It's baffling that people who are working in the games industry still "don't get" the hate against Epic's strategy. Sounds like they don't look further than "Epic is paying us extra money, why aren't you happy for us?"
I'm sure, deep down, they "get" the hate. But, unfortunately, they are under the disillusional pretence that their customers will buy their games no matter what, no matter where, and in the rare cases where people push back a bit, they play the victims.

It's not exclusive to this Epic situation. They have the same reactions when people complain about, for example, cosmetic microtransactions.

I reached a point where the time I have to play is shorter than ever, and as such, I prefer to support games and teams that don't treat me, a customer, like an idiot, and don't try to dictate what, where, or how I buy their products.
If that means missing out on some games, so be it. Can't say I'll miss any of them. I have so many other things to do, both in terms of gaming and outside of it, that I really couldn't care less.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Epic helping Valve with its shovelware problem, I see.
60 is considered shovelware now? As much as i like to poke holes in Epic's statements, and often do because they make it so easy, i would consider something below a 50/5.0 to really deserve this line of thinking more than a "meh" to average game where the devs have taken up a diet of foot in mouth.

Im sure internally the EGS team responsible for buying the exclusivity deals kick themselves on the regular when their deals dont all end up 80-100 rated, but theyve never, to my knowledge, given a qualifier for what "bad games" meant other than to say/imply Steam was filled with them

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
60 is considered shovelware now? As much as i like to poke holes in Epic's statements, and often do because they make it so easy, i would consider something below a 50/5.0 to really deserve this line of thinking more than a "meh" to average game where the devs have taken up a diet of foot in mouth.

Im sure internally the EGS team responsible for buying the exclusivity deals kick themselves on the regular when their deals dont all end up 80-100 rated, but theyve never, to my knowledge, given a qualifier for what "bad games" meant other than to say/imply Steam was filled with them
I wouldn’t read into what I said too much, I know it’s not shovelware. More a joke that it’s the kind of game Epic would probably call a “crappy game” on Steam, and the common criticism (even by the devs themselves on Twitter) that Steam is full of said crappy games, that’s all.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I wouldn’t read into what I said too much, I know it’s not shovelware. More a joke that it’s the kind of game Epic would probably call a “crappy game” on Steam, and the common criticism (even by the devs themselves on Twitter) that Steam is full of said crappy games, that’s all.
Fair. Wasn't sure how tongue in cheek that was :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
tbh 60 is crap, yeah. it's in the shovelware realm. i would even say the title is kind of the definition of what shovelware was/is. Something like this, with a generic name, mediocre gfx, in the 30-60 field from an unknown dev is what was shoveled in the 90s to coverdiscs and compilation fillers. epic is clearly scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

Reactions: MJunioR

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
The amount of developers and publishers who straight up insult their fans over being upset about the EGS decision is baffling. I'm not even a "devs need to listen to their fans ALWAYS" kinda guy but I'm having such a hard time understanding why being willing to wait a year to buy it on a platform that doesn't scare my credit card is equivalent to being a Gamergater or some other awful shit. I lost a TON of respect for Devolver not just when Observation (which I genuinely wanted to play) went exclusive, but when their community rep posted that raging screed against everyone who doesn't just shut up and consume, consume, consume. I'm sure their E3 stream is gonna be insufferable about it.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
The amount of developers and publishers who straight up insult their fans over being upset about the EGS decision is baffling. I'm not even a "devs need to listen to their fans ALWAYS" kinda guy but I'm having such a hard time understanding why being willing to wait a year to buy it on a platform that doesn't scare my credit card is equivalent to being a Gamergater or some other awful shit. I lost a TON of respect for Devolver not just when Observation (which I genuinely wanted to play) went exclusive, but when their community rep posted that raging screed against everyone who doesn't just shut up and consume, consume, consume. I'm sure their E3 stream is gonna be insufferable about it.
Their E3 stuff is usually already teetering on the edge of insufferable and often falling into it anyways.

I cannot even imagine how shitty their ironic anti-establishment, anti-consumption, but-basically-actually-the-establishment-and-totally- consumptionist conference is going to be.

The worst part will be when the media who have panned the conference for the past two years suddenly give it rave reviews.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
Developers care for themselves first. We as customers should do the same.
This requires developing a consumer conscience, which in turn, requires maturity and life experience.
Not much but it really does.

Hopefully most of the corporate cheerleaders we occasionally encounter during our voyages on the rough and troubled gaming seas, will eventually stop having a "eff you got mine" mentality and start seeing the bigger picture.
Each at their own time of course.

Until then we can only hope and point to the sensible direction but, boy, sometimes it really feels like a Sisyphean task.

Last edited:

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
I find it hilarious that these libertarian techbros are so offended that the PC market has chosen Steam as a preferred platform.

What happened to "free market" or whatever they call it?
Most of these people complaining aren’t libertarian techbros. I don’t think you’d accuse the people writing op-eds at The Verge, Kotaku, Polygon or Ars Technica of being techbros. And I don’t think most people would categorize Tim or Sergey themselves as fitting in the techbro culture. Nor are many of the game developers who we see writing 400 tweet “Tweet threads” against Steam.

In fact, I might go so far as to say that the common theme with many of Steam’s current detractors is a kind of milquetoast, convenient Anglophone leftism. One of their regular accusations against Steam is in fact saying that they’re a fake libertarian meritocracy.

These people don’t actually want a free market, they want a market that’s open to them.

Xiaomi

The Texas Hammer
May 12, 2019
Taiwan
tbh if there were development studios or publishers coming out saying "because of egs we can increase employee salaries and have almost no crunch time" I would begrudgingly accept the deals that are being made, but we all know that's not where the money is going. It was a cash grab by management from the beginning.

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
I honestly believe that such behaviour is caused by the fact that the game industry is relatively young and grew up in a relatively awkward way.

Back before the 200x indie boom, the barrier to entry was very high, and in some cases close to insurmountable.
Gaming was a niche, and by and large gamers were "hardcore" gamers, somehow expressing their (our) appreciation by considering the famous names (Miyamoto, Garriot, etc.) as actual idols, basically rockstars that the outer world had never even hear of.

That (my) generation grew up dreaming of becoming game devs, only few got to, and some of them became entitled.
Suddenly they only knew what was going on behind the scene, and everybody else had to STFU.

These people now are completely convinced they know better, even if their (legitimate) point of view is often more narrow (or biased, or oriented to something else) than ours.

So on one hand they managed to get where most of us couldn't, and therefore they think we don't know shit and we need to just buy whatever crap they tell us.
On the other, they never had any manager handling them. There's a reason why most old-school devs are generally nice persons compared to new ones: it's their social media manager talking. 😁

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
tbh if there were development studios or publishers coming out saying "because of egs we can increase employee salaries and have almost no crunch time" I would begrudgingly accept the deals that are being made, but we all know that's not where the money is going. It was a cash grab by management from the beginning.
(also even if that were the case, the money that was ensuring that these studios have no crunch would be built on the backs of crunching Fortnite devs, so it's not a net positive for labor anyways)

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
The most offensive thing about Omen of Sorrow is that as a chilean developer they chose generic monsters already done hundreds of times instead of using unique chilean monsters like the invunche/imbunche

or the Trauko/Trauco

As a chilean myself all I can say is "que se jodan"

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
(also even if that were the case, the money that was ensuring that these studios have no crunch would be built on the backs of crunching Fortnite devs, so it's not a net positive for labor anyways)
How dare you speak of the devs that way! Do you not realize how many kids fresh out college would sleep on the floor and eat peanuts just to say they work on Fortnite? Slandering hard working developers like that tsk tsk.. Unions would only make things worse! /s... sort of.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Most of these people complaining aren’t libertarian techbros. I don’t think you’d accuse the people writing op-eds at The Verge, Kotaku, Polygon or Ars Technica of being techbros. And I don’t think most people would categorize Tim or Sergey themselves as fitting in the techbro culture. Nor are many of the game developers who we see writing 400 tweet “Tweet threads” against Steam.

In fact, I might go so far as to say that the common theme with many of Steam’s current detractors is a kind of milquetoast, convenient Anglophone leftism. One of their regular accusations against Steam is in fact saying that they’re a fake libertarian meritocracy.

These people don’t actually want a free market, they want a market that’s open to them.
I can't really call anyone who supports companies buying their way into the market, and making shady exclusivity deals, left wing. That's the opposite, in fact, because they are saying companies are free to do whatever they want against the consumers' benefit.