News Epic Games Store

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Pretty sure EGS managers or whatever the blokes are who decide what games to nab are just looking at Steams most wished games. I think I'm a bit too sour at them :D
At least Epic's plan to bleed Steam dry of high profile games does not go as planned with Microsoft providing Steam with plenty of 1st party games.

I really hope this will lead to people spending their money on Microsofts games instead of Epic's exclusives.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
This is smart PR on their behalf but I remain very suspicious of Microsoft. The days of UWP aren't over and Windows 10 is still a terrible attempt at taking away control from the users.

They are headed in the right direction but I still don't trust them one bit.
It's good to be suspicious of them, Microsoft's history is one of shadiness and bad business ethics. Nothing they're doing is actually altruistic or such, not even their efforts towards accessibility.

But the fact that they might have gotten smart enough to realize that servicing as many customers as possible, be that through Steam support, cross-play efforts, increasing game accessibility, lowering costs through subscription models, or whatever...that's a decent sign.

I'm not going to get up and applaud them for what I think is basic business sense, but I'm glad they've pivoted that direction.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
I've rolled my eyes several time while reading the article about Microsofts games coming to Steam on PcGamesN. More than half of the article is about speculation that these games will probably come to EGS as well. Do these editors get bonuses for shilling for Epic?
Just read that. I wish I had stopped at that dumb Fortnite thumbnail completely out of place though.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
I've rolled my eyes several time while reading the article about Microsofts games coming to Steam on PcGamesN. More than half of the article is about speculation that these games will probably come to EGS as well. Do these editors get bonuses for shilling for Epic?
At this point I think we can safely assume, without going into conspiracy theories, that they have at least a very strong financial incentive to keep Epic happy. A lot of people are going after the bags of cash Sweeney is throwing around, be it via moneyhat, "incentives" or just plain ad money for ads covering all your fucking site :p

And since they don't appear to be doing any research before paying anyone, there is a good chance to get some.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
But the fact that they might have gotten smart enough to realize that servicing as many customers as possible, be that through Steam support, cross-play efforts, increasing game accessibility, lowering costs through subscription models, or whatever...that's a decent sign.
So long as you're contributing to their MAU, you're contributing to their ecosystem. Even if you're not a big spender, you're creating an environment where big spenders, well, spend.

If that means they're on Steam, they'll go on Steam. I have no doubt that this is a cynical move by MS to get their figures up, but I don't care. They're releasing good games on the best PC platform. And in the end, the more games on Steam means there's more competition in what matters: the games themselves.

Hopefully when Gears 5 lands on Steam and stomps anything releasing on EGS within a six week radius, AAA pubs take notice. As if many of them haven't already seen the brand sabotage that Deep Silver did on Metro, at any rate.

At any rate, I echo the sentiment. Good on MS for supporting an open and vibrant PC ecosystem. Not only are they giving players choice about where they buy and play their games on PC, but they are also indicating that they're comfortable competing with all the other awesome PC games out there. I feel when developers sign EGS exclusives or silo their games off on their own launcher, they're tacitly admitting they don't really want to share store space with all the amazing PC games on Steam.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Almost everything got pushed to at least July, including cloud saves.

I would say that's funny (considering I just read on Era that World War Z stores all of the progression and unlocks locally), but I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of poor programmers almost dying trying to get everything ready for the Borderlands 3 launch.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019

I would say that's funny (considering I just read on Era that World War Z stores all of the progression and unlocks locally), but I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of poor programmers almost dying trying to get everything ready for the Borderlands 3 launch.
Yup, BL3 is the big event for EGS to make it or brake it.

Ganado

¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!
Nov 6, 2018

That "Long Term ( > 6 Months)" for achievements tho.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Those next two months will be crunch hell for EGS devs it seems. Gotta feel sorry for them, since Tim apparently isn't.

Reactions: unknownhero

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Those next two months will be crunch hell for EGS devs it seems. Gotta feel sorry for them, since Tim apparently isn't.
you can bet on it ... he's probably working all those people to the bone ... if he's willing to do this for fortnite, he's DEFINITELY willing to do the same for his shitty store

Reactions: MJunioR

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
That "Long Term ( > 6 Months)" for achievements tho.
Hmmm, come to think the userbase of BL3 probably cares a lot for achievements (or any thing that gives the sense of progression) so I expect to see people complaining about it a lot.

And that's another feature that will require developers go back to their games and implement manually later, just like cloud saves. At least they already got paid for it :)

you can bet on it ... he's probably working all those people to the bone ... if he's willing to do this for fortnite, he's DEFINITELY willing to do the same for his shitty store
The only doubt in my mind is what takes priority: Fortnite crunch or EGS crunch, because by now it's obvious they don't have enough people to do both. Probably because of physical limitations like the number of hours in a day and not because of some nonsense like workers well-being. But hey, they are getting paid good bonuses so it's alright... (/s of course before anyone jumps on me :p)

Reactions: lashman

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Maybe the game will handle some of those features directly? I'm sure Randy could outsource some of those features to a 3rd party dev team if Epic is too busy
Honestly I expect Randy spin the lack of features as something positive. He didnt care about the very projects his teams were making, let alone Epic's.

And oof just saw thar guy who lost 40h worth of progress in World War Z.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
The only doubt in my mind is what takes priority: Fortnite crunch or EGS crunch, because by now it's obvious they don't have enough people to do both. Probably because of physical limitations like the number of hours in a day and not because of some nonsense like workers well-being. But hey, they are getting paid good bonuses so it's alright... (/s of course before anyone jumps on me :p)
Nah, there are definitely different teams working on that.
Honestly I expect Randy spin the lack of features as something positive. He didnt care about the very projects his teams were making, let alone Epic's.

And oof just saw thar guy who lost 40h worth of progress in World War Z.
You only notice the lack of cloud saves when it's too late.
Losing progress is the worst.

JMTHEFOX

Planning to Be a Game Designer
Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
You know, had they launched the store as a beta and notified their users about its users that some features may be incomplete, it would've at least been less disastrous. Instead, they just rushed the store as an "early access"-like official launch with "exclusives" as its main selling point. Also, the roadmap doesn't look so great. Its really insulting that a simple thing to implement, such as a shopping cart and game forums, needed 6 months to be added in.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
You know, had they launched the store as a beta and notified their users about its users that some features may be incomplete, it would've at least been less disastrous. Instead, they just rushed the store as an "early access"-like official launch with "exclusives" as its main selling point. Also, the roadmap doesn't look so great. Its really insulting that a simple thing to implement, such as a shopping cart and game forums, needed 6 months to be added in.
Correction, the shopping cart is in the more than 6 months lane.
Also this assumes they are going to make that timeframe at all. They moved most of the May targets (which had been April targets) to July, which obviously pushed other stuff even farther back.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
As long as there are no EGS games in the monthly bundle, I don't care.
you know it's going to happen ... probably very soon too
(i imagine they'll want to get even more people in there before the first exclusive contracts start to expire)

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
You also know when they do infest Humble Monthly that the headline game will be a decent Steam game, followed by a shitty surprise in the reveal after it's too late to pull out.

I'm pretty much almost certainly going to let my annual subscription expire as the games they've been giving away recently haven't been to my tastes, and it's only getting worse. I might even replace it with Game Pass so I can play The Outer Worlds without inflating Sweeney's ego.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
You also know when they do infest Humble Monthly that the headline game will be a decent Steam game, followed by a shitty surprise in the reveal after it's too late to pull out.
yeah, i wouldn't even be surprised if they did exactly that

Reactions: Ge0force

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Humble monthly is probably going to be a good way to get some more people on EGS, since if they put a decent game there I doubt many people would pause the subscription just because is Epic.

Also, Anno 1800 is back on the store, and with 20% discount on top of the $10. But no Division 2 or Breakpoint. Either they are doing the "uplay integration" one by one by hand of Ubisoft also doesn't want the discount on those titles.

Kind of curious if something changed or buying on EGS is still basically giving you a UPlay copy.

Big_Al

Miserable old git
Jan 22, 2019
we can only hope :p
It's the Epic desperation that makes me chuckle so much. They're like the try hard friend who thinks they are doing their best but are just pissing everyone off. I can't even say I dislike Epic as I don't, I feel genuinely sorry for all the poor developers currently crunching on Fortnite and the store with Tims obsession over Steam.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Been watching twitter this last few weeks, Epic is handing creator codes like candy, will not be long until they have an army:

I thought I recognized this guy so I checked and hes STILL going at it. This dude literally spends hours of his day searching Epic related tweets on twitter and shits on Steam with blatant lies or shills his creator code on unrelated tweets.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
It seems that the PC space is considered as very important to Epic's interests if Sweeney and co are utilizing this sort of smear campaigns to "compete".

It is highly unethical and idiotic but if a good number of your audience lacks intelligence and the capacity to apply critical thought on issues then their effort is bearing fruits.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
It's the Epic desperation that makes me chuckle so much. They're like the try hard friend who thinks they are doing their best but are just pissing everyone off. I can't even say I dislike Epic as I don't, I feel genuinely sorry for all the poor developers currently crunching on Fortnite and the store with Tims obsession over Steam.
I mean, yes crunch sucks, but clearly some people at Epic besides Tim and Sergey are onboard with what they're doing or we'd have seen massive turnover.