News Epic Games Store

NarohDethan

Anime threads enthusiast
Apr 6, 2019
But that's not a downside with getting paid in advance for a specific number of sales, as opposed to getting paid a (smaller) lump sum while also getting revenue from every copy sold on EGS, that's a downside with taking an exclusivity deal with Epic in general.
Sure, if you devs a quick buck they should take it, but IMO it is not worth losing trust down the line.

Reactions: #Senpai

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Sure, if you devs a quick buck they should take it, but IMO it is not worth losing trust down the line.
If devs stopped talking down to their audience as if we're incompetent and have just arrived in the pc gaming space, it would help. We know it's the money, or your publisher going for the money. You know it's the money, just say so. I harbour no ill will, but I also am not obligated to follow you down the EGS rabbithole just because you're a creator in my chosen hobby

Trying to parrot Tim Sweeney isn't going to help, the man can't sell EGS to the masses and he's the brainchild behind it. Be straight with us and we both come out the other side better off

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
we can only hope that's actually the case
I think he'll cut himself off a slice of the pie, but I don't think Epic will ever be the leader they want to be when it comes to PC Gaming. Microsoft, Bethesda, EA, most of the Japanese publishers, even Ubisoft (it's clear as day that they're just using Epic to prop up their own launcher), and of course Steam, will make sure of that.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Wish I was a billionaire able to fuck with a whole industry. Must give you one hell of a power trip high.
You'd think being able to force employees to work 80-100hr weeks with little to no overtime while you get to sit back and post smartass tweets on the internet would be enough for him. I know posting smart ass council comments about him is enough for me, and I have no money

Last edited:

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018
Trabzon
I'm wondering if anyone close to Tim has thought about trying to take away his access to any phones/computers so that he doesn't Tweet?
I like to imagine his advisers are running around in the background just like with the actual President, trying to get him to cool off and not run his mouth so much on sensitive topics, and then freaking out when they have to run interference and damage control.

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
I like to imagine his advisers are running around in the background just like with the actual President, trying to get him to cool off and not run his mouth so much on sensitive topics, and then freaking out when they have to run interference and damage control.
Something tells me he doesn't have any advisers, just a bunch of sycophants.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

Matimeo

MetaMember
Oct 21, 2018
like someone else said, any publicity is good publicity these days. I would say all the hate has gotten them way more attention than their own marketing and they are definitely profiting from it. Just like #45 does in the US. People like Tim love attention, and hes getting more than hes ever gotten in awhile. He will double down on all efforts to continue to get that attention.

As far as indie devs, yeah they should take the deal. My rent is due this week not in the future. Future trust from strangers means nothing in this economy when people are literally living check to check. I have to side eye anyone hating on indies taking the easy cash, unless you can match it for them and know their current financial situation. If EGS offers any of you cash you better take it, your real friends will be here when its over lol. Its like the WCW days, Vince will be there later in the meantime make that money and actually have a retirement fund (old school wrestling fans will get this lol )

As far as their attitude, welcome to creatives lol. Im not sure where people thought that creatives are nice to everyone, never been the case. Creatives are usually very self centered, and sure maybe some use marketing to filter but you should prefer reality anyway. Go read the countless stories of fans meeting their heroes only to find out they are but human and could care less about them. I think the internet allows for more of that truth to show thru.

Noone I know is like yeah lets starve myself to death and make a game for the fans lol. Nope, its for them, and if they happen to get fans along the way cool but they could care less about you. It about their vision. Thats always been the creative way. They only open up to fans when they need funding, the same way they do to businesses.

Of course they get cocky, they are getting more money deposited in their account than many of them have ever made or will make in a lifetime. That does all sorts of things to brain chemistry. I think a buddy of mine was saying once you start talking millions, most people change, and there are studies around brain chemistry trying to determine that switch. I imagine its even bigger if the person was very poor and it wasnt gradual but instant. I think everyone would like to think they would not change but we have too much data that shows that would be much more a rarity than reality.

As far as wanting companies to be real with you. No you dont lol.
The reality is they dont care about you. They dont care what you think. They dont even care about the people making them money.
Not sure what people are expecting here. Yes they will do whatever benefits them first financially. People are not honest with the public
because history shows thats not what people want to hear. Most people want to hear marketing speak, or corporate kool aid , so thats what everyone is fed.

If you want truth, you will be in the minority, so you cant expect to get that thru means that are meant for the majority.
Thats why "off the record" was invented.

I just wish people would not give Tim so much attention, hes not even as creative as #45, lol.

#Senpai

Meta Man
Dec 5, 2018
Texas
like someone else said, any publicity is good publicity these days. I would say all the hate has gotten them way more attention than their own marketing and they are definitely profiting from it. Just like #45 does in the US. People like Tim love attention, and hes getting more than hes ever gotten in awhile. He will double down on all efforts to continue to get that attention.

As far as indie devs, yeah they should take the deal. My rent is due this week not in the future. Future trust from strangers means nothing in this economy when people are literally living check to check. I have to side eye anyone hating on indies taking the easy cash, unless you can match it for them and know their current financial situation. If EGS offers any of you cash you better take it, your real friends will be here when its over lol. Its like the WCW days, Vince will be there later in the meantime make that money and actually have a retirement fund (old school wrestling fans will get this lol )

As far as their attitude, welcome to creatives lol. Im not sure where people thought that creatives are nice to everyone, never been the case. Creatives are usually very self centered, and sure maybe some use marketing to filter but you should prefer reality anyway. Go read the countless stories of fans meeting their heroes only to find out they are but human and could care less about them. I think the internet allows for more of that truth to show thru.

Noone I know is like yeah lets starve myself to death and make a game for the fans lol. Nope, its for them, and if they happen to get fans along the way cool but they could care less about you. It about their vision. Thats always been the creative way. They only open up to fans when they need funding, the same way they do to businesses.

Of course they get cocky, they are getting more money deposited in their account than many of them have ever made or will make in a lifetime. That does all sorts of things to brain chemistry. I think a buddy of mine was saying once you start talking millions, most people change, and there are studies around brain chemistry trying to determine that switch. I imagine its even bigger if the person was very poor and it wasnt gradual but instant. I think everyone would like to think they would not change but we have too much data that shows that would be much more a rarity than reality.

The reality is they dont care about you. They dont care what you think. They dont even care about the people making them money.
Not sure what people are expecting here. Yes they will do whatever benefits them first financially. People are not honest with the public
because history shows thats not what people want to hear. Most people want to hear marketing speak, or corporate kool aid , so thats what everyone is fed.

If you want truth, you will be in the minority, so you cant expect to get that thru means that are meant for the majority.
Thats why "off the record" was invented.

I just wish people would not give Tim so much attention, hes not even as creative as #45, lol.

Reactions: lashman and Matimeo

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018
Trabzon
Indies can take the Epic deal, they just shouldn’t pretend it’s our moral obligation to support that decision.

In fact this entire trend towards “supporting the creators” is largely inane and farcical. Creators don’t actually care about me, and I have little reason to care about them.

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
Indies can take the Epic deal, they just shouldn’t pretend it’s our moral obligation to support that decision.

In fact this entire trend towards “supporting the creators” is largely inane and farcical. Creators don’t actually care about me, and I have little reason to care about them.
Exactly. I owe creators absolutely nothing. Do I want good creators to be successful? Sure. But it's not my responsibility that they become/remain successful. And I won't push or promote a game that I think has issues just because a creator needs to pay the bills.

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019

Support the creators! Also, screw Steam, there should be heavier curation!

NarohDethan

Anime threads enthusiast
Apr 6, 2019

Yep, the day devs Paypal me some money if I'm facing difficulties then I will stan for them.

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
Which is the problem with our capitalistic society, Consumers are no longer viewed as anything more than cattle waiting to be milked. But to be honest, I do believe there are good companies out there that at least try to make their customers happy. Maybe they're only doing it because it's profitable for them, but at least both parties' interests align. And I do think there are a lot of good indie creators who still care about the craft and are passionate about the games they create. From what I've seen, it's usually the devs who get too big for their britches that end up having their games drop off in quality because they start prioritizing how they can monetize their audience over entertaining them.