News Epic Games Store

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
"Generally I think I would prefer not to do exclusives but I understand Epic's position with it, and quite frankly they are paying through the nose to build their store," said Jason. "All credit to them, it's fantastic, and we'll take some of their money, thank you very much."
Is that parody? At least he's frank, for all his lack of integrity. He sells out pretty shamelessly.

"I think partly it's also a bit of a kick up the backside for anybody whenever a new [competitor] comes into the marketplace," he added. "It makes you reflect. I mean, developers turn up with a brilliant game and... it makes you focus on your game as well. It's exactly the same for multinationals."

Chris compared the competition to the ancient rivalry of Sony and Microsoft in the console space, particularly when it gets "too far out of whack" like the runaway success of the PlayStation 2, which many argue led to complacency with the PlayStation 3.
Aaand it's gone.

I have to ask though. With so many games having to rely on kickstarter to even exist, with so many studios closing due to financial failure despite an outstanding amount of in-house talent... It feels and seems fucking wrong to see Epic handing out money so liberally. If they can, what the hell is the rest of the industry doing? You can't be telling me Fortnite is the only runaway success in this industry.

That they use such means to trap games and balkanize the PC instead of benefiting everyone is galling. As usual.

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
I think many publishers are sitting on money 'cause they don't want to spend any of it in anything else than yearly updates and huge marketing campaigns. The idea that they'd have to use the money on something that might not net them money 'cause the idea is something new or untested scares them.

Exec 1: "We need a boost in to our quarterly profit"
Exec 2: "Let's release Game X sequel number 10 and spend X amount on marketing to guarantee success"

I doubt many devs are exactly pleased that they are being used as cows for the execs to milk for their yearly bonuses.

Reactions: lashman

Big_Al

Miserable old git
Jan 22, 2019
I don't know why it makes things better just because they say "yup we wanted the money". Just because they are honest about it doesn't make the move better or something to appreciate. Being honest now just means they lied before in the interview. Words are cheap, being honest about a shit move isn't a good thing. What you actually do counts and they did shitty things; lied and baited in the interview, took a deal with the inbred Timmy and then are "honest" about it. Nothing to appreciate here.

I think it's more because, rather than liking what they are doing I am so used to hearing shitty buzzwords/reasons/excuses in IT that at least it's not beating about the bush, though I get what you mean about 'appreciate'. Maybe the wrong word to use. Still, I ain't buying the fucking game regardless :cool:

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019

GMG giving away free games if you buy EGS games.
Timmy really wants to sell this stuff (or GMG)

edit: lmao if you're from the US they even give you $5 in store credit, EU plebs don't get that though (at least I don't see it when I go to GMG)

Last edited:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Is that parody? At least he's frank, for all his lack of integrity. He sells out pretty shamelessly.

Aaand it's gone.

I have to ask though. With so many games having to rely on kickstarter to even exist, with so many studios closing due to financial failure despite an outstanding amount of in-house talent... It feels and seems fucking wrong to see Epic handing out money so liberally. If they can, what the hell is the rest of the industry doing? You can't be telling me Fortnite is the only runaway success in this industry.

That they use such means to trap games and balkanize the PC instead of benefiting everyone is galling. As usual.
He did it for money. It's a coincidence, that's the same reason I'm not buying games from EGS, as I value my money more.

And GMG having to do credit to get EGS sales... yikes. That can't be good.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Not for GMG. They danced with the devil in the pre-baked moon light and it doesn't appear to be doing them any good
First of all, I'm not sure this is what's actually happening. This may as well be a promotion stunt in cooperation with Epic.

But if their Epic keys don't sell well, I don't feel sorry for them at all. Anyone working in the games industry should be well aware how many pc gamers think about Epic and their moneyhats. Any company supporting them to succeed with their current strategy can gtfo as far as I'm concerned.
That Kingsley thread on era... why do I go there again? Ah yes, the communities...
Especially that Khamakazee dude is an idiot. He's a huge Steam hater and has been stalking me for months across multiple threads for criticizing the Windows Store.

There's an interesting comment from that Riot publisher guy in that thread tho. He also believes that Epic's end goal is to become the leading storefront by betting on exclusivity only. He sees Epic moneyhatting for another 2 or 3 years, and after that counting on the lower cut and huge userbase to motivate devs into releasing their games exclusively on EGS.

People still believing that Epic's strategy will lead to healthy competition for pc gaming are really naive imo.

Last edited:

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
Yeah I officially quit Era after a moderator (and the majority of the replies from other users in that thread) encouraged a YouTuber to commit suicide and then he actually did. I doubt the YouTuber saw it but as someone who struggles with mental health myself it became very obvious I would be regarded as a second-class citizen if I ever let them see me have a breakdown.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I got permabanned from ERA because of this post a few days ago; Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

I still have an account on GAF, but both GAF and ERA has so much negativity and that there are "secret hidden elite" ERA Discord channels doesn't help either. So I have pretty much left GAF too.
Can you (or anyone else elaborate) on the underlined, please?

Also, Audioboxer gone? He was/is a true scotsman, i always enjoyed his posts on the Brexit thread.

Last edited:

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Devs say 'nope' to a comment saying that it will be an EGS exclusive:
It's Private Division. I wouldn't be surprised if they advertise the game on Steam first, and then turn it into an EGS exclusive without permission of the devs.
everyone (of the cool people) is here!
Yeah and lashman is here as well 😊

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Fantomena, what the fuck are you doing still on GAF and buying dumbass shitty propaganda from alt-rights fuckwits on GAF? Holy fuck man
For all my issues with Era, and there are many, GAF is just a shitpit for alt-right grifters and their minions.
which part of "let's maybe not do this here" wasn't clear enough?

please!

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
which part of "let's maybe not do this here" wasn't clear enough?

please!
I get ya, i get ya, i just don't like one of our members still participating in a alt-right haven and spreading dumbass alt-right conspiracies that have already been debunked. I'll drop it from this thread but all i'm gonna say is that Fantomena's permaban from ERA was correct.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im considering following Tim Sweeney on Twitter, but not sure if I should. Reading through his Twitter just makes me frustrated.

Like, what in the world is this: