News Epic Games Store

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
Im considering following Tim Sweeney on Twitter, but not sure if I should. Reading through his Twitter just makes me frustrated.

Like, what in the world is this:

He's trying to push a narrative that Steam is a monopoly forcing out other digital distribution platforms despite the fact that the advent of EGS has had no effect whatsoever on GOG's popularity (in fact it may have made it worse given how recent their financial troubles are.) By making high-profile statements like this he can try and adjust the narrative to being about EGS disrupting an allegedly Steam-focused market to be about multiple stores instead of what he's actually doing, which is trying to take Steam's place in the market bodysnatcher-style.

Every indie dev who praises EGS for acting like late 2000's Valve like they also won't eventually become late 2010's Valve if they reach the same level of success is, sorry to be blunt but, a moron.

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
Galaxy 2 supports EGS, that is why Tim is so happy about it.
I like GoG a lot but I'm not messing with Galaxy 2 for this very reason. Not just a "I don't support EGS in general" thing but Galaxy 2 becomes a band-aid for the underlying problem that is a fragmented market (one being driven by EGS, natch) that all the EGS fanboys can just point to and go "this exists so obviously everything is fine."

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
PC gamer now writes news posts containing the patch notes of Epic's Store. They really should change their name to "Epic Gamer".
This will be amusing.
Can't wait for the newspost in August about how most of the July features didn't make it in and everything was delayed again.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
PC gamer now writes news posts containing the patch notes of Epic's Store. They really should change their name to "Epic Gamer".
Do they historically do the same for Steam? For example, regarding the recent addition of experimental features that seek to improve discoverability, as widely requested?

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Do they historically do the same for Steam? For example, regarding the recent addition of experimental features that seek to improve discoverability, as widely requested?
Yeah they've reported about these features. But the EGS patch didn't add any big features, just a small fix. That article reads like PR, just like most of their articles about Epic. PC Gamers staff really seem to like what Epic is doing.

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
We all know Epic is shit, but I really didn't see them whiffing this badly on store features. It's a gleeful feeling to see.
I suspect it's because the adoption rate hasn't been stellar. I'm betting they're waiting to see what things look like after Borderlands 3 launches before they pour any more money into the client.

Reactions: Ge0force

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I suspect it's because the adoption rate hasn't been stellar. I'm betting they're waiting to see what things look like after Borderlands 3 launches before they pour any more money into the client.
... or maybe they're doing a big overhaul and just want to "surprise" everyone with a huge update

Reactions: Chudah and Ge0force

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
... or maybe they're doing a big overhaul and just want to "surprise" everyone with a huge update
Could be. I can see them holding off on a huge overhaul for when Valve releases their big one this summer (which is still coming, right?!?). It'd still pale in comparison to what Steam has, but you know how Sweeny loves stealing Valve's thunder.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I don't know if they have a plan.
Or to be precise, I'm sure they had a plan, but nothing went according to it so they went "let's just throw more money at games and everything will work out, right!??". (Spoiler: it won't I sure as fuck hope it won't)

For some reason they definitely wanted to get the EGS out of the door last year. Probably because they had this date set and made contracts and preparations for that (the PC gaming show, the free games throughout 2019...).
Get a Minimum Viable Product out of the door, establish market share, and improve the client simultaneously was likely their plan.

But
1) What they thought was a MVP was in fact not and harshly rejected by the "hardcore" community (especially in combination with their exclusivity tactics)
2) Adding features takes them way longer then initially projected because that always happens in Software Development: bugs and other more important things continued to come in and had them postpone the features

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I hope their strategy not working, because them giving away games that were made at the dawn of Neolithic Revolution makes me think that their store becoming more popular.

Reactions: ISee and Ge0force

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I hope their strategy not working, because them giving away games that were made at the dawn of Neolithic Revolution makes me think that their store becoming more popular.
You have to look at it this way: popular for what?
Free games and crazy fire sales?

At one point they will actually require people buying things without them making a loss on it. I don't see this happening with that strategy.
Also people that buy into it via the free games or that bought something from the fire sale will use the client and realize how shit it is and move away again.

This is why I'm secretely hoping they don't manage much until the BL3 release. That will proably give them a bigger then usual influx of users, which I hope will realize the egs is garbage and never buy something there again.

Like, do they actually have an API in place for partying up with friends?

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
He is right, but that doesn't mean that costumers have the obligation to buy from EGS or to support that developer.
You can't proclaim that one party needs to be free to make decisions and than try to force the other party into doing what you want.
In the end it's a balance act, like in life. You are free to be an asshole, but you shouldn't wonder if other people will start ignoring you. You need to balance your needs, vs. the needs and wants of your costumers.

But that's typical Tim logic.
Publishers & Devs= reasonable people, able to make reasonable decision
Costumers = Idiots that only react to force

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
He's right on the second one though :shrugblob:
Has it been confirmed whether or not EGS exclusivity deals come with clauses stating no Steam or have they just used dump trucks of cash and gone for the right size of dev who can't push back?

We've seen how loose they are with the term in general, but yes he is technically correct. It should be noted that he is also the one (or his company's legal team anyway) writing the terms on one side of the decision and theyre not mutually drawn up.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I heard that's a good one. We still have Puyo Puyo tho. (autocorrect ominously tried to change Puyo to Putin, it's an omen)

Reactions: lashman

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
EGS.....

I've softened a bit. I'm not too proud to take the free games they're giving away, although I've only taken one so far bc fuck adding another "to play" game to the hundreds I have.

So, I like that they're giving away games for the end of the year.

I actively dislike everything else. Not truly hate, as I don't have enough energy anymore after being a firm member of the hate train before, but lets just say nothing less than EGS exclusive of Binding of Issac II or whatever would get me to give them money atm. Epic thinks game exclusivity works but misses the point on PC, there is always another game like the game you wanted to play and many of us already own a game like the one you just bought.

Tetris. Yes its an amazing version. Gotta overcome Tetris effect releases on other platforms, then have to woo VR die hards and in browser tetris players..... Whew, the fornite money is deep.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Tetris. Yes its an amazing version. Gotta overcome Tetris effect releases on other platforms, then have to woo VR die hards and in browser tetris players..... Whew, the fornite money is deep.
plus, you know - we've already waited this long ... what's another 12 months? not like we don't have anything else to play in the meantime, lol

(also - don't forget to set your custom tag :p)

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Has it been confirmed whether or not EGS exclusivity deals come with clauses stating no Steam or have they just used dump trucks of cash and gone for the right size of dev who can't push back?
Phil Spencer said Epic does have specific rule about "what other stores they can be available in". Which is why Halo Master Chief Collection and Gears 5 couldn't be released there.

Halo & Gears 5 are in Steam & Windows Store.

Outer Worlds is Epic & Windows Store.

So that leaves one option...

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I do not care about this game at all but i feel sorry this game will do time in the arsehole store.

It is best if we do not support arseholes and associates.
Can't agree more. Sadly, I've already seen too many "I hate Epic's moneyhats, but I'm gonna reward them with my money for moneyhatting this particular game" comments on several sites.

I really hate it when anti-consumer practices work out for the companies involved.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
I mean I dont even have a VR headset but I'm sad I have to put Tetris Effect on my shitlist
You and me both. Tetris is a fucking awesome game, and I'd rather not have to put it on ignore. But then again, aren't the meaningful battles those that hurt us the most?

Fuck EGS, and fuck Tim Sweeney forever. That motherfucker is still out there spewing bullshit on Twitter while single-handedly trying to destroy PC gaming. He can take Jazz Jackrabbit and Jill of the Jungle and stick them where the sun don't shine; I ain't buying any future sequels even if they came with a lifetime supply of dulce de leche.