News Epic Games Store

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
My friend who is new to PC gaming was staunchly defending Epic today.

"It's just another browser, who cares? You're being prissy about having to download software dude. It's like Xbox vs PLaystation but you don't have to pay for Epic"

There was just no getting through to him. My buddy and I should take back all the the hand-me-down parts we gave him XD
Yeah, just tell the parts don't work with the egs .XD

Transdude1996

Apr 30, 2019
Epic Games is basically coming in hot on EA as the industry's worse company
I don't think they care, just as long as they drive Valve out of business. And, money seems to be no object in this game. Remember that the decision to make Metro Exodus an exclusive game was so sudden and abrupt that even THQ Nordic didn't know what was going on, and the boxed copies of the games still had the Steam information. This is also leaving out the fact that the games media has levied the story that if you have any reservations about the Epic Store, then you are a batshit insane, tin-foil hat wearing, wife beating, skinhead who can't appreciate China's 50,000 years of history. And, that you appose the very idea of the free market and competition if you refuse to use Epic's store (Despite the fact that there's GoG, itch.io, DLsite, Game Jolt, MangaGamer, Playism, the upcoming Top Hat store, and software like OpenBazaar; in addition to EA, Ubisoft, and Microsoft having their own stores as well). All of this is on top of the fact that the Epic Store launcher was literally revealed to be SPYWARE, Sweeney even admitting that it is spyware (But no one was suppose to know), and everyone just moved to continue pushing that "Steam has finally met their match".

"It's just another browser, who cares? You're being prissy about having to download software dude. It's like Xbox vs PLaystation but you don't have to pay for Epic"
There was just no getting through to him.
Ask him what happened to GFWL, and the couple hundred games that used it. All of these DRM storefronts (Yes, even Steam) are nothing but cancer,

Last edited:
Reactions: sauce and RionaaM

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
Just tell him to stfu cos he's a console peasant and newb to pc gaming and doesn't understand shit and is a bad pupil for the pc masters he should respect :p
lol

Yeah, he has all sorts of hot takes. A recent one was how consoles drive the industry since more people play them, so the PS5 having ray tracing and an SSD was a bigger deal than the introduction of those concepts on PC prior.

He's a loyal, insanely generous, friend though, and a masterful DM when we play D&D. So I shall spare his life for now... even if he plays PC fps w/ a controller.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018

There was just no getting through to him. My buddy and I should take back all the the hand-me-down parts we gave him XD
Surely you mean your ex-friend?

I don't think they care, just as long as they drive Valve out of business. And, money seems to be no object in this game. Remember that the decision to make Metro Exodus an exclusive game was so sudden and abrupt that even THQ Nordic didn't know what was going on, and the boxed copies of the games still had the Steam information. This is also leaving out the fact that the games media has levied the story that if you have any reservations about the Epic Store, then you are a batshit insane, tin-foil hat wearing, wife beating, skinhead who can't appreciate China's 50,000 years of history. And, that you appose the very idea of the free market and competition if you refuse to use Epic's store (Despite the fact that there's GoG, itch.io, DLsite, Game Jolt, MangaGamer, Playism, the upcoming Top Hat store, and software like OpenBazaar; in addition to EA, Ubisoft, and Microsoft having their own stores as well). All of this is on top of the fact that the Epic Store launcher was literally revealed to be SPYWARE, Sweeney even admitting that it is spyware (But no one was suppose to know), and everyone just moved to continue pushing that "Steam has finally met their match".

Ask him what happened to GFWL, and the couple hundred games that used it. All of these DRM storefronts (Yes, even Steam) are nothing but cancer,
I was with you up until the "DRM storefronts" part. On Steam, DRM is optional. Publishers choosing to implement it most of the times doesn't change that fact.

Transdude1996

Apr 30, 2019
On Steam, DRM is optional
Tell that to my physical copy of Star Trek DAC.
Steam IS DRM. It correctly states that it is so on Wikipedia, the PCGamingWiki, and every single site, when popped the question, literally says "Yes, Steam is DRM" (With some then try to deflect by stating "But, it's the good kind of DRM"). Valve completely controls the dispersal of the games that you buy from their store and there is NOTHING you can do to change that. Even the so-called "DRM free" games on the store still require you to install the software to download the games. How is that NOT the definition of DRM: "Digital rights management (DRM) is a systematic approach to copyright protection for digital media. The purpose of DRM is to prevent unauthorized redistribution of digital media and restrict the ways consumers can copy content they've purchased."

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Steam IS DRM. It correctly states that it is so on Wikipedia, the PCGamingWiki, and every single site, when popped the question, literally says "Yes, Steam is DRM" (With some then try to deflect by stating "But, it's the good kind of DRM"). Valve completely controls the dispersal of the games that you buy from their store and there is NOTHING you can do to change that. Even the so-called "DRM free" games on the store still require you to install the software to download the games. How is that NOT the definition of DRM: "Digital rights management (DRM) is a systematic approach to copyright protection for digital media. The purpose of DRM is to prevent unauthorized redistribution of digital media and restrict the ways consumers can copy content they've purchased."
You're confusing distribution method with rights management. Of course every single digital platform requires you to use their service to download the product, it's impossible to do otherwise. The only way to prevent that would be using an external download service (like Megaupload) or torrent, but it still would be stupid not to protect those links behind a user account page. If the platform didn't validate user credentials when downloading, there would be no way to stop people who didn't purchase something from accessing it. It would be the equivalent of adding a donation button on a free download page, and it wouldn't be smart at all.

DRM only defines how the product works after you acquired it. GOG games, for example, can be copied to any PC without having to access their servers, using their client or authentify in any way. DRM-free Steam games, which do exist, are the same. You could download them from Steam, uninstall the client and run them through the .exe, and they would work fine. You could also copy them to PCs that don't have Steam installed.

As for your Star Trek example, that's because devs choose to distribute it via Steam instead of standalone. For all I know, the game could be run without it after it's installed (though a quick search on the site I just linked says that's not the case).

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
So you're saying steam's webstore needs to have exe downloads (like gog has for non-Galaxy downloads) for those games before they can be considered truly drm free?

... even if he plays PC fps w/ a controller.
I was okay, even with his confused mind over EGS, but this?:thinking-blob: Nope, it's a wash.

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
So you're saying steam's webstore needs to have exe downloads (like gog has for non-Galaxy downloads) for those games before they can be considered truly drm free?
pretty much, yeah ... would be nice of them too (at least for those games that don't use steamworks)

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
pretty much, yeah ... would be nice of them too (at least for those games that don't use steamworks)
Tim Sweeney the next day: Valve and Steam don't even care about protecting Dev's right, letting exes into the wild like that. EGS has xyz encryption so your game will never be pirated while you're exclusive to us

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Tim Sweeney the next day: Valve and Steam don't even care about protecting Dev's right, letting exes into the wild like that. EGS has xyz encryption so your game will never be pirated while you're exclusive to us
lol ... i don't think so ... they allow devs to be DRM-free on there as well ... Subnautica was like that for like a day or two :p until they "fixed" it

Reactions: Ge0force

Transdude1996

Apr 30, 2019
DRM only defines how the product works after you acquired it. GOG games, for example, can be copied to any PC without having to access their servers, using their client or authentify in any way. DRM-free Steam games, which do exist, are the same. You could download them from Steam, uninstall the client and run them through the .exe, and they would work fine. You could also copy them to PCs that don't have Steam installed.
Did you read my post:
Even the so-called "DRM free" games on the store still require you to install the software to download the games.
Why should I have to install additional software unrelated to my game?

And no need to phone home.

Quick question: why is it the ONLY DRM platforms that get's a pass is Steam, meanwhile GFWL, Origin, Uplay, the Microsoft Store, and, now, Epic are getting trashed (Unless you're a game journalist, in which case you defend the last one)?

Meanwhile, the EU burries a study stating that piracy either doesn't effect, or even helps sales.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Did you read my post:

Why should I have to install additional software unrelated to my game?

And no need to phone home.

Quick question: why is it the ONLY DRM platforms that get's a pass is Steam, meanwhile GFWL, Origin, Uplay, the Microsoft Store, and, now, Epic are getting trashed (Unless you're a game journalist, in which case you defend the last one)?

Meanwhile, the EU burries a study stating that piracy either doesn't effect, or even helps sales.
Because that's how Valve chooses to distribute Steam games. I don't see the problem with it: you have to download them through a client instead of their website, but both methods still require valid credentials and a purchase.

You're arguing distribution methods, which is totally unrelated to DRM. The former defines how you can acquire a piece of software, the latter what you can do with it once you've acquired it. For games that don't feature DRM, you can distribute them however you want once you've gone through the official distribution method once.

I don't see anyone trashing Origin or Uplay anymore, they work fine. GFWL gets trashed for obvious reasons, same with MS Store (which is little more than GFWL 2, with an extra layer of shittiness in the form of UWP). Steam doesn't get a pass for the things it does wrong, you can read lots of valid complaints about different things here and everywhere. But that doesn't mean I have to look the other way when someone says something that's not true, such as calling Steam a DRM platform. Having DRM as an optional -albeit recommended by Valve and widely used- feature doesn't make it mandatory.

Transdude1996

Apr 30, 2019
I don't see the problem with it
That's good for you then. However, I don't find it very appealing that I have to installing a useless piece of software, that is completely unrelated and unecessary for some of games to even function, and controls how I wish to play my games.

For games that don't feature DRM, you can distribute them however you want once you've gone through the official distribution method once.
Except you're still missing the point, I have to download UNRELATED software in order to ACCESS some of the games. That is DRM.

GFWL gets trashed for obvious reasons
What reasons are those? Aside from the initial idea to charge for online, which was canned after a month, I haven't heard a single reason why GFWL is so terrible in comparison to the competition.

Having DRM as an optional -albeit recommended by Valve and widely used- feature doesn't make it mandatory.
Except it is mandatory, you have to use Steam, additional software that you have to INSTALL on your computer and is UNECCESSARY for the download and the installation and the operation of some of these games, in order to access those games.

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
Except you're still missing the point, I have to download UNRELATED software in order to ACCESS some of the games. That is DRM.
sooooo the fact I have to download and install a web browser to access GOG.com, and then enter a username and password to then download the executable for a game I have purchased is 'ackchually' now DRM?

C'mon breh.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
That's good for you then. However, I don't find it very appealing that I have to installing a useless piece of software, that is completely unrelated and unecessary for some of games to even function, and controls how I wish to play my games.

What reasons are those? Aside from the initial idea to charge for online, which was canned after a month, I haven't heard a single reason why GFWL is so terrible in comparison to the competition.

Except it is mandatory, you have to use Steam, additional software that you have to INSTALL on your computer and is UNECCESSARY for the download and the installation and the operation of some of these games, in order to access those games.
Do you just not pc game or do you swallow your pride and accept it at this point? Aside from gog, itch, and I think gamersgate is still client free [for games that aren't keys for other DD services], you're looking at an even smaller number of physical releases that don't in some way need a client for at least some part of pc gaming. Between battlenet for warcraft and diablo, and steam for HL2 normalizing launchers, the days where it was just a cd/dvd rom in a drive that installed and put a shortcut on your desktop without something in between clicking and playing are small pockets of time surrounded by various drm/launchers.

As for reasons for GWF[L] - the paying for live while it was floated, the terrible app interface, the marketplace store layout is bad in the same way the Windows store was/is bad, the problems it had with patching - as in patches would download and "install" repeatedly but never actually work properly, I had this with Batman AA for a while, and Gears1. These things never improved, whereas Steam, galaxy, origin, uplay, etc all did About the only thing GFW app did well was the ingame overlay.

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Folks, I remember a while ago Sweeney or somebody else said that EGS will have a cap, or a yearly limit, of games.
Though, I can't find any source on that, so I'm like, did I dream that? Was an ironic kind of thing?

Transdude1996

Apr 30, 2019
sooooo the fact I have to download and install a web browser to access GOG.com, and then enter a username and password to then download the executable for a game I have purchased is 'ackchually' now DRM?
Honestly, yes, that always was and is a form of DRM because GOG locks their games behind an account that you have to create and log into in order to download them. That being said, that's where the comparison begins and ends. Web browsers come pre-installed with literally every single OS on the market (Even an obscure one like AROS comes bundles with Odyssey). So, first and foremost, you're not required to install anything (Except the game, of course Actually, you don't even need to install the game. You can just have the installation package sitting on your hard drive for years and still access it whenever you want). And, what sets it heads and shoulders above Steam is that you can be completely anonymous for the entire affaire. You can make an account with a throw-away email, buy the games with a pre-paid credit card, access the site and download all your games with Tor, and then turn off your computer's internet and install the games.

Meanwhile, what do you have to do with Steam? Make an account on Valve's site (No difference there), buy the games with a [pre-paid] card (No difference again), then download Valve's approved software, activate Valve's approved software on my computer by downloading Valve's approved software on my phone and activate Valve's approved software on my phone by verifying my email account, downloading and install the games through Valve's approved software, then remove any and ALL traces of Valve's approved software on my computer and my phone, and pray that the game still works (On top of the fact that you must have all your games downloaded and installed just in case anything happens to Valve and their server goes down). How, in any way, does this sound ideal for the customer (Not to mention that other companies do this exact same process almost to the letter)?

Do you just not pc game or do you swallow your pride and accept it at this point?
I just don't buy much of anything anymore because I have more than a big enough backlog. And, for the games that I do want to buy, I find the DRM free solution (Or the GOG solution at the very most) to acquiring them or I don't plan to buy them at all.

you're looking at an even smaller number of physical releases that don't in some way need a client for at least some part of pc gaming.
I know, it's extremely annoying. Would someone mind explaining why the jewel case release of the "Atari Collection" in Walmart requires one to install Steam?

As for reasons for GWF[L] - the paying for live while it was floated, the terrible app interface, the marketplace store layout is bad in the same way the Windows store was/is bad, the problems it had with patching - as in patches would download and "install" repeatedly but never actually work properly, I had this with Batman AA for a while, and Gears1.
I did not know that, thanks for providing the details.

Folks, I remember a while ago Sweeney or somebody else said that EGS will have a cap, or a yearly limit, of games.
Though, I can't find any source on that, so I'm like, did I dream that? Was an ironic kind of thing?
No, that happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
yup, one of them definitely said something along the lines of "1 game per day" as their goal

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
It's just that I can't seem to find any sources and so can't use it against one of the usual annoying Epic fanboy devs... 😅
Wasn't this a Tweet from Sergey, stating that putting games on EGS is a "manual" job and requires lots of work? :p

Reactions: ISee

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Wasn't this a Tweet from Sergey, stating that putting games on EGS is a "manual" job and requires lots of work? :p
Nope, it was a fairly old news, more like "you won't ever see EGS flooded by garbage because we have an upper limit of games allowed on our store".

But really might have dreamed that, or like misread it while scanning some thread or comments section

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Nope, it was a fairly old news, more like "you won't ever see EGS flooded by garbage because we have an upper limit of games allowed on our store".

But really might have dreamed that, or like misread it while scanning some thread or comments section
No, I remember that too.

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
Honestly, yes, that always was and is a form of DRM because GOG locks their games behind an account that you have to create and log into in order to download them. That being said, that's where the comparison begins and ends. Web browsers come pre-installed with literally every single OS on the market (Even an obscure one like AROS comes bundles with Odyssey). So, first and foremost, you're not required to install anything (Except the game, of course Actually, you don't even need to install the game. You can just have the installation package sitting on your hard drive for years and still access it whenever you want). And, what sets it heads and shoulders above Steam is that you can be completely anonymous for the entire affaire. You can make an account with a throw-away email, buy the games with a pre-paid credit card, access the site and download all your games with Tor, and then turn off your computer's internet and install the games.

Meanwhile, what do you have to do with Steam? Make an account on Valve's site (No difference there), buy the games with a [pre-paid] card (No difference again), then download Valve's approved software, activate Valve's approved software on my computer by downloading Valve's approved software on my phone and activate Valve's approved software on my phone by verifying my email account, downloading and install the games through Valve's approved software, then remove any and ALL traces of Valve's approved software on my computer and my phone, and pray that the game still works (On top of the fact that you must have all your games downloaded and installed just in case anything happens to Valve and their server goes down). How, in any way, does this sound ideal for the customer (Not to mention that other companies do this exact same process almost to the letter)?
I mean, as has already been pointed out to you, not all steam games use CEG (steams in-built DRM) and if you really want to live off grid like that for any of those titles, you can do the exact same thing as you do on GOG. Its even more 'off grid' because you can buy Steam Wallet cards with cash anonymously at a lot of large retailers.

"Oh, but web browsers are useful and come preinstalled" is some pretty disingenuous line of thinking to dismiss the benefits that steam offers as a gaming client; screenshot tools, cloud save tools, friends lists, text, voice and videochat and - indeed - a web browser are all pretty useful things to have, and come bundled in that not-quite-so-superfluous-to-gaming-as-you-paint-it application.

edit:
because let's not kid ourselves here, Steam was an application suite comprising of useful tools for PC gamers long before it offered a single title for sale.

Reactions: Ex-User (307)

Transdude1996

Apr 30, 2019
I mean, as has already been pointed out to you, not all steam games use CEG (steams in-built DRM) and if you really want to live off grid like that for any of those titles, you can do the exact same thing as you do on GOG.
No, you can't, because you have to download Valve's approved software onto your computer, and, despite how "trusting and reliable" the company may be, it's none of their damn business to collect and record any of my information.

to dismiss the benefits that steam offers as a gaming client; screenshot tools, cloud save tools, friends lists, text, voice and videochat and - indeed - a web browser are all pretty useful things to have, and come bundled in that not-quite-so-superfluous-to-gaming-as-you-paint-it application.
And, it all comes at the risk of your security. Sounds like a great deal for requiring people to install a useless application(Yes, I know, this doesn't directly relate to Valve, but it does prove my point).

let's not kid ourselves here, Steam was an application suite comprising of useful tools for PC gamers long before it offered a single title for sale.
Wasn't Steam almost universally despised upon launch, and only gained a following because it was the only way to play Half-Life 2 on PC, and it wasn't GFWL?

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
No, you can't, because you have to download Valve's approved software onto your computer, and, despite how "trusting and reliable" the company may be, it's none of their damn business to collect and record any of my information.
That link is some straight up tinfoil hats breh.

If you really want to use steam as a one time pad to purchase and install non-CEG titles, you absolutely can.
Once its downloaded and installed, its installed, and you can back it up however you want and never use steam again.

Even CEG protected titles can bypass steams DRM relatively easily - which is why bigger publishers double dip with their own secondary DRM - but the 'cost' of doing so is loss of access to all of steams client functionality.
Which is enough of a cost that people don't do that.

Wasn't Steam almost universally despised upon launch, and only gained a following because it was the only way to play Half-Life 2 on PC, and it wasn't GFWL?
No.
A bunch of people who had never used steam prior to HL2s launch had problems at HL2s launch as the service got DDOSed and went freaking out across message boards, but Steam itself had been in active use for well over a year as an all in one anti-cheat / messaging / game join / server browser / patching application by a sizable portion of PC gamers comprising the CS / DoD / TFC / NS / Sven Co-op / etc etc etc communities.

edit:
I, personally, greatly appreciated the Steam clients featureset as a replacement for;
  • mIRC with broadcast "now playing IP" script
  • Fileplanet queues for patches
  • ASE / GameSpy for server browsing
  • PunkBuster as a seperate runtime process
without even mentioning that linking my HL cdkey to an actual account stopped my legitimate purchased copy semi-regularly being blocked from multiplayer because the HL keygen that existed worked, and would generate legitimate keys that belonged to other people

edit2:
Hell, OG Steam even had some crappy Yahoo type webgames built in so you could play chess or whatever with someone while you waited for others to join a server

Last edited:

Transdude1996

Apr 30, 2019
Is there anyway to 100% anonymously get games other than pirate then?
Use cash, buy cash cards, use a secure browser, buy from sites that don't require an account (So, you'll be buying physical most of the time), and what I previously mentioned with GoG. That's what I can think of. Also, am I the only one who goes searching for old games at thrift stores and the Salvation Army?

That link is some straight up tinfoil hats breh.
Is any of the info mentioned in the link incorrect?

Once its downloaded and installed, its installed, and you can back it up however you want and never use steam again.
Again, why? GoG, Humble Bundle, and several other sites never had a problem with allowing it's users to download games off the net through a browser. Why do I have to download Valve's approved software?

I, personally, greatly appreciated the Steam clients featureset as a replacement for;
Again, good for you, but I find the price to be too costly.

Reactions: Le Pertti

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Also, am I the only one who goes searching for old games at thrift stores and the Salvation Army?
yes (mostly because we don't have places like that here :()

Again, why? GoG, Humble Bundle, and several other sites never had a problem with allowing it's users to download games off the net through a browser. Why do I have to download Valve's approved software?
i actually agree ... it WOULD be nice if they at least let people download those DRM-free games directly through the browser ... there's enough of them for something like that to actually be viable

Reactions: Eferis

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
GOGs default design pattern for new users is to install GOG Galaxy.
Many of Humbles downloads are offered in Torrent format for downloading, and in .RAR or .TAR format.
Its only been relatively recently that Windows handled .ZIP support natively.

Needing an application to install another application isn't something insidious or even something new, and its frankly bizarre to me to hold that stance.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
According to Wikipedia, Windows has had built in zip support since 1998.
95/98/2000 did not natively support extracting zip files, I cant remember if it was Xp or Vista that introduced it

when steam came out a sizable portion of people were still using 98SE or 2000 for the same reasons a sizable portion of people today are still using W7

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Also, am I the only one who goes searching for old games at thrift stores and the Salvation Army?
I do when I can find them. Used/retro game stores here don't carry pc often, even pre-Steam/DD titles, and most thrift stores don't carry any pc games that arent The Sims in many cases. I go to kijiji and ebay for most of my needs in this regard, as there are a sizable number of games not available anywhere digitally - a lot of activision licensed titles looking over my watchlists - that I try to seek out and then get working using pcgamingwiki/etc

That said, I'm not opposed to using 3rd party launcher software (though I don't prefer it when possible - re gog/itch) tied to account for ease of use.

Reactions: lashman

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018

Tell him you decided there's a processing fee now without any way to contact you or your buddy for help.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
so to bring this topic back to the EGS (discussing digital content delivery systems and clients in general should probably have its own thread, no?)...

Mike Bithell
(Thomas was alone, Volume) announced his new game - John Wick Hex - today, which will be released via Good Shepard (a subsidiary of Devolver) exclusively on the EGS first. No details on exclusivity length yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a year as per usual.
Which is really surprising to me since Bithell is a self-described "lefty" and Epic is all but that, its a greedy billionaire buying up a market it thinks it has the right to own, with the most despicable business practices I've seen in the gaming space...period. Honestly, at this point, I would be all for EA buying up Epic and then doing with it what EA does best: shutting it down.

Transdude1996

Apr 30, 2019
Mike Bithell (Thomas was alone, Volume) announced his new game - John Wick Hex - today, which will be released via Good Shepard (a subsidiary of Devolver) exclusively on the EGS first.
And looks like nothing of value was lost, judging by the trailer.

Which is really surprising to me since Bithell is a self-described "lefty" and Epic is all but that, its a greedy billionaire buying up a market it thinks it has the right to own, with the most despicable business practices I've seen in the gaming space...period.
And, what part about this is surprising, specifically?

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
And, what part about this is surprising, specifically?
Any left-leaning person would be disgusted by the predatory hypercapitalism that Epic reveres and uses to buy its way into the market. Plus, Bithell just seems to be one of the dev people on the "good side", you know? But then again, I had that image about Devolver, too. Either Epic can just really sway people to come on board really well, or the people who sign on are not aware about how disliked the EGS and Epic as a whole is.
But we all know in the end its just the sack of money Epic is giving them. :rolleyes:

Reactions: goat and lashman

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
so to bring this topic back to the EGS (discussing digital content delivery systems and clients in general should probably have its own thread, no?)...
Mike Bithell (Thomas was alone, Volume) announced his new game - John Wick Hex - today, which will be released via Good Shepard (a subsidiary of Devolver) exclusively on the EGS first. No details on exclusivity length yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a year as per usual.
Which is really surprising to me since Bithell is a self-described "lefty" and Epic is all but that, its a greedy billionaire buying up a market it thinks it has the right to own, with the most despicable business practices I've seen in the gaming space...period. Honestly, at this point, I would be all for EA buying up Epic and then doing with it what EA does best: shutting it down.
Yeah, Devolver and Mike Bothell being involved makes this a very, very sad moneyhat. Oh well, this will get a nice spot on my permanent blacklist. F*ck any devs supporting Epic's disgusting strategy.

Reactions: Swenhir and LEANIJA

Transdude1996

Apr 30, 2019
Any left-leaning person would be disgusted by the predatory hypercapitalism that Epic reveres and uses to buy its way into the market. Plus, Bithell just seems to be one of the dev people on the "good side", you know?
Febuary 2015:
"[It] did well because it was a critical darling. It was slightly highbrow, slightly left leaning and it was about friends and feelings and shit. That tends to align with what critics typically like. I was fortunate in that my politics, my age, my gender I share in common with the vast majority of game critics... So they often share the same taste, worldview, nostalgia and all these other things. I made the game I wanted to make, but it's not surprising why critics picked it up."
Also, tell me, which section of the population has devoteded themselves to defending the Epic Game Store for the past several months?

But then again, I had that image about Devolver, too.
DD co-founder:
The gaming community is... great at being complete fucking assholes online

Either Epic can just really sway people to come on board really well, or the people who sign on are not aware about how disliked the EGS and Epic as a whole is.
There is another possibility: The game was rigged from the start and you're only now realizing it.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
I'm at the point where I believe people have no idea what left and right mean, or they simply don't care. They'll just say stuff that sounds nice one day, and support practices that aren't the next day. Not necessarily out of malice, but from ignorance or disinterest.