News Epic Games Store

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Maybe this is one of those "Oh I've only ever heard of Epic so I'll vote for them" things, considering how many Fortnite players there are.
Epic made all those games on their store right? I'll vote them!

So Shenmue III's review embargo is two days after the official release date.

It's gonna get savaged.
Epic has no reviews mechanism, how will we know?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Shenmue 3 looks great to me. I'm sure it will be bashed because it basically looks like a higher fidelity Dreamcast Shenmue 3 in pretty much every way but I'd probably just love it for that. Some people seem to have wanted Shenmue 3 to be GTAV: China (play Sleeping Dogs, it's great in that way but it's no Shenmue to me) but I always wanted the same small scale low profile adventuring as in 1 & 2 with all that entailed, from picking up and examining random objects to watching the population go about its business and going from detective work to practicing to reminiscing to fighting thugs to just passing time with random shit in the neighborhoods I learned like the back of my hand as I played along and interacted with them and their characters. I also liked Shenmue 1 more than 2, it had some less refined gameplay elements but the atmosphere and pacing was second to none (God damn was I heartbroken when I discovered phones in Shenmue 2 weren't interactive so I couldn't call Nozomi to check on how she's doing after she moved out of Yokosuka). I don't care for its overhyped legacy as an example of open world design or whatever else, I never saw it as that kind of game personally. Which makes me sad as I'm not likely to ever play it the way they handled things. I doubt they'll get to make another though (or at least not all of them) so I'll just be one or two chapters behind in an unfinished saga.

Last edited:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I think the game looks like one fans of Shenmue will love, and I include myself in that. But I do take pleasure in watching Deep Silver and Epic try to sell it.

Reactions: lashman and MJunioR

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Eh, who cares if Epic won some no-name award based on fan voting. That's like winning a teen's choice award or something. Or if I want to be more vicious, some toddlers voting for their funniest Disney program.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
They were probably expecting Fortnite revenue dropping relatively soon and wanted a safety net as fast as humanly possible while they still had their war chest to push their way into the market.

Fast forward a year, Fortnite revenue dropped off a cliff compared to last year.
Correct me if i am wrong
But i doubt giving away funds (lowering capital) is a good strategy when have low(er) income.
Regardless on if the expenditure is lower itself than your income.
To give an example
15 million - 5 million = 10 million
15 million - 0 million = 15 million

Yeah i am simplifying this WAY too much but u can get the idea and expand on ir from there.

Reactions: lashman

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I do love how Tim pretends to care about a multi-store future, when he continues to limit where games can be sold. I'm not even talking about Steam. GOG, Humble (non-DRM), or Itch get left out when he comes stomping along with his money bags.

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
The multi store future, that we already had years ago and that Epic isn't following by making games exclusive.
Tim is an idiot.
News at eleven!
This is the worst time line for Tim, after the initial backlash that was putting the EGS in every headline all that's left is only one thing, a deafening silence

Reactions: C-Dub and ISee

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
At this point with EGS exclusives I'm pretty much in a situation where I will just play my backlog or buy a non-EGS exclusive rather than cave to Epic and buy a moneyhatted game that I want.

Worst case scenario is I just buy a moneyhatted exclusive on a non-EGS platform (usually console) for whatever reason. So far that's only happened a few times: Shenmue III because I couldn't refund my PS4 copy, Untitled Goose Game because my partner really wanted it (and it turned out mediocre anyway) and Outer Worlds because it was on Game Pass.

I have Afterparty on Game Pass for Xbox One too, but apparently it's a mess right now so it might just be a good idea to wait.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
And anyway, Tim is right, I'm more than willing to support indie developers... so why should I buy a game on the EGS? If I buy the game on Steam a year later they'll get EGS moneyhat AND Steam cut from sales. If i get the game on the EGS they won't see a dime from my purchase. :steam_pigblanket:

Just sayin'.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Tim is straight up just trolling now.
This is exactly what he's doing.
you know ... i think he might actually believe this

he once slipped on reddit and actually explained what "multi-store world" means according to him ... it was something along the lines of "EA selling their games on origin, ubi selling their games on uplay, volvo selling their games on steam, and everyone else selling their games on egs" (paraphrasing, but that was basically what he said ... including that "valve selling their games on steam" bit)

he might actually believe that "every developer having their own store ... and everyone else using egs" is the "multi-store future"

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
you know ... i think he might actually believe this

he once slipped on reddit and actually explained what "multi-store world" means according to him ... it was something along the lines of "EA selling their games on origin, ubi selling their games on uplay, volvo selling their games on steam, and everyone else selling their games on egs" (paraphrasing, but that was basically what he said ... including that "valve selling their games on steam" bit)

he might actually believe that "every developer having their own store ... and everyone else using egs" is the "multi-store future"
Which is pretty much terrifying. How are people liking the multi-brand streaming future?

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Stop
Directly
Linking
To
His
Twitter
Also stop wasting so much of your braincells on Dim Swiney Tweets. I know y'all like enjoying your anger, but that shit gets unhealthy fast.

There is bound to be more stuff to make fun of or discuss/critique regarding the egs., outside of Swiney trumpian bs.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Correct me if i am wrong
But i doubt giving away funds (lowering capital) is a good strategy when have low(er) income.
Regardless on if the expenditure is lower itself than your income.
To give an example
15 million - 5 million = 10 million
15 million - 0 million = 15 million

Yeah i am simplifying this WAY too much but u can get the idea and expand on ir from there.
I wouldn't really call it giving away funds, EGS is meant to be an investment to get returns later on.

Reactions: lashman and ISee

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
A multi-store future would be every game releasing on every platform, which has its own challenges.

What people want is a place they can trust to play their games, maybe two. Not five or more different untrustworthy ones.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
A multi-store future would be every game releasing on every platform, which has its own challenges.

What people want is a place they can trust to play their games, maybe two. Not five or more different untrustworthy ones.
Practically the same. People would just ignore the untrustworthy ones. Exactly the reason why Tim is trying to force us into using EGS.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018

What a Multi-Store Future theoretically means: It is irrelevant where you buy the game, you will activate it in one place, it has one build/SKU, or it can activate in different places but the build and featureset is the same.
What Tweeny means is Multi-Launcher Future: You have to tangle a dozen different launchers with a fractioned library.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
What a Multi-Store Future theoretically means: It is irrelevant where you buy the game, you will activate it in one place, it has one build/SKU, or it can activate in different places but the build and featureset is the same.
What Tweeny means is Multi-Launcher Future: You have to tangle a dozen different launchers with a fractioned library.
:oops:
That's an important differentiation that I haven't realized yet.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
SDLTHTP?

Sorry, when i see posts like that i automatically parse the first letter of each line to see if there's a word there. lol.
:odell:
The anagram
Was both
Intentional and not

I wouldn't really call it giving away funds, EGS is meant to be an investment to get returns later on.
Yeah but when is that 'later on'? Like if the actual return isn't good enough upon reaching that later on point....that's a waste of funds. >_>;;;

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman