News Epic Games Store

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
People bought Shenmu Remastered to check out what the fuzz is about and disliked it so much that they aren't willing to buy shenmu 3?
That's not a good sign for shenmu fans.

And for epic: A niche game launching on a controversial platform = bad sales and less chances for a sequel. Despite a bucket load of money from Timmy.
My poor Mechwarrior 5, you are dead on arrival. If there only would have been a way to not piss off your own community and bakers.

Last edited:
Reactions: xinek and madjoki

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I think we should wait a bit for more accurate numbers but even if they are bigger than perceived it doesn't change the fact they manipulated their loyal fans and went back from their promises.

Yet there were people that defended them, arguing with the silliness the "just another launcher" position holds and ignored the fact that they just helped effectively killing any crowdfunding attempt for a potential fourth game, because they wanted to "play the game".

I hope these people will learn their lesson but I have my doubts about that.

Congrats DS, You and Tim you turned gold into shit.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
To be fair, isn't it a pretty common thing for numbered sequels to progressively sell less? I think I read something about that fairly recently -- it being rare that a direct sequel does better than the previous one. It's possible they anticipated this and it led to the decision around the exclusivity deal.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Man I really feel bad for Shenmue fans. Ultimately this will probably bury the chances of a Shenmue 4, given that all reviewers mention that 3 is so obviously constrained by budget.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
I as a Shenmue fan was thinking alot about this situation, Shenmue 3 was never going to sell well, espeacially on PS4, the majority of people who wanted the game backed the kickstarter or slacker thing, the only viable solution they had for a chance to fund a Shenmue 4 was to become one of the niche PC games that sell pretty good for some reason, but they burned that bridge and peed on the ashes.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I am wondering about the impact of Shenmue 3 failing on the Sony side of thing. After all, they did use E3 as a marketing device to prop up the crowdfunding campaign. I found it immensely distasteful at the time (the hell are you doing at E3 if you need us to pay?) and wonder how Sony feels like about the game's commercial failure, not to mention the controversy surrounding it.

They probably don't give a damn, but one can dream.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
I am wondering about the impact of Shenmue 3 failing on the Sony side of thing
Why would they care? they gave it some time under the spotlight to show they support devs and the usual good PR stuff, they had no stake in it so the game bombing or being a success doesn't really matter to them.

I doubt Epic cares either.

Pogi

illiterate
Jun 25, 2019
i am particularly pissed with epic and phoenix point devs 'cause, first i have to subscribe to game pass(thanks meta members for suggesting this) and then i remembered i don't quickly finish games, and the thought of subscribing for that particular game i know i wouldn't finish within a month is such a waste when i can buy games with the subscription fees and play them on my own pace.
second, i would have bought the game in epic if only they have a top-up card system, since i don't have credit card
third, hey found a friend with a credit card, and let him sign on on epic and, surprise, no gifting option lmao, i am not gonna bother him to create another account to buy from third party sites ALSO NO REGIONAL PRICING
lastly, LMAO i cannot even link my paypal because it needs a "source": a debit or online bank (i wouldnt connect my bank account to the internet) lmao, that's the point of paypal?
jesus christ, they are like begging me to pirate this shit.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
i am particularly pissed with epic and phoenix point devs 'cause, first i have to subscribe to game pass(thanks meta members for suggesting this) and then i remembered i don't quickly finish games, and the thought of subscribing for that particular game i know i wouldn't finish within a month is such a waste when i can buy games with the subscription fees and play them on my own pace.
second, i would have bought the game in epic if only they have a top-up card system, since i don't have credit card
third, hey found a friend with a credit card, and let him sign on on epic and, surprise, no gifting option lmao, i am not gonna bother him to create another account to buy from third party sites ALSO NO REGIONAL PRICING
lastly, LMAO i cannot even link my paypal because it needs a "source": a debit or online bank (i wouldnt connect my bank account to the internet) lmao, that's the point of paypal?
jesus christ, they are like begging me to pirate this shit.
You only have to wait a bit. No need to care about this game when there are a ton of other games easily available without any hassle.

The Phoenix Point situation relegated Gollop as a living shithead from a valued gaming pioneer he was in my eyes.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Why is Epic reading other launchers' install folders anyway. I'm so glad I uninstalled that shit. I can barely tolerate Geforce Experience pulling that on me, but at least it tells you why it's doing it. These fuckers are probably just gathering data "in case you might need it in the future" like they did with Steam.

This post is brought to you by early morning grumpiness. Some people might be whatever on this, but it just rubs me the wrong way in light of the Steam thing.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Why is Epic reading other launchers' install folders anyway. I'm so glad I uninstalled that shit. I can barely tolerate Geforce Experience pulling that on me, but at least it tells you why it's doing it. These fuckers are probably just gathering data "in case you might need it in the future" like they did with Steam.
EGS = Epic Games Spyware after all

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
To be fair, Shenmue 3 was never going to lit the charts, it's a sequel to a game that came out 18 years ago and whatever momentum the series had is long gone. Add to that a rather average reception there even positive reviews say that it's kinda mediocre by modern standards but feels in line with design sensibilities of the early 00s.

I know people defend Yu Suzuki in regards of Shenmue 3 not being an end of the story, but imo, he shoud've known better and curb his ambition a little bit.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I have it installed since i bought it a week ago.
Are you sure? I thought the same at first but after checking again some days ago it's actually there.

Same as above, it doesn't appear at the top of the list as I thought it might as installed over owned but not installed stuff (everything else - ie the freebies).

I don't have Origin or Steam added to my EGS either so it's definitely once again snooping around where it shouldn't in order to know the game is installed.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and Arsene

sk2k

Steam New Releases Warrior
Dec 8, 2018
Somewhere else
I'm surprised how many still seem to be using egs.:p
Is it too late to say it is my friend's library? :)

EDIT: I have bought Manifold Garden again after i already asked for a refund. :eek: It's my GOTY 2019 despite being only available for PC in the EGS. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Pertti

sk2k

Steam New Releases Warrior
Dec 8, 2018
Somewhere else
Are you sure? I thought the same at first but after checking again some days ago it's actually there.

Same as above, it doesn't appear at the top of the list as I thought it might as installed over owned but not installed stuff (everything else - ie the freebies).

I don't have Origin or Steam added to my EGS either so it's definitely once again snooping around where it shouldn't in order to know the game is installed.
Uhh, i found it! lol Why would they add it to library?

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Uhh, i found it! lol Why would they add it to library?

My best guess would be that they have been testing a global games launcher function like GOG's internally or, more likely, a method for adding non-Epic games and it's doing this unexpectedly because some of the code is already in there. Someone make a fuss on Reddit so Epic can explain themselves :')

Reactions: xinek

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
It's not picking up Darksiders III for me, the only game I only own on Steam that Epic also sells so I suspect it's an issue with their last minute integration with origin.

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Dub and ISee

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
It's not picking up Darksiders III for me, the only game I only own on Steam that Epic also sells so I suspect it's an issue with there last minute integration with origin.
Ah, it’s only that game? Then you’re probably right.

Reactions: ISee

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Is the EGS launcher still scanning your Steam Friends List as well as all your games? I thought they said it was a bug?

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Does it at least work? Or does it start Origin and expects the license to be there?

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
Is the EGS launcher still scanning your Steam Friends List as well as all your games? I thought they said it was a bug?
It is. Gamer press and your average “I’m a gamer but I’m better than those OTHER gamers” types wrote it off by saying it’s a service Steam allows and therefore doesn’t break GDPR, but completely ignored that because Epic is incompetent, the method they use to do so bypasses Valve’s API and therefore technically does violate regulations. Lol!

Reactions: ISee and lashman

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Despite the mixed reception it received, though, Désilets said that it had broken even from a commercial standpoint. When asked about sales by a member of the Reboot Develop audience, he responded: "Yeah, yeah, yeah, the money is made. Plus, I know it's more a console game than a PC game.
This is Epic's moneyhat and guaranteed sales isn't it?

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018