News Epic Games Store

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com

That's weird definition of "no ad day".
(X is link to Epic Game Store, not link to close ad)
Not to defend Epic, but it seemed too blatantly dodgy even for them, so I went to check.

Clicking on it just closed the ad, without navigating anywhere.
I presume it just has a bit of an awkward code, with the entire ad being a link to EGS, but the X might have a event.preventDefault() that prevents the link action to be triggered.
It's a very common thing to do, to replace a link normal behaviour with something else in JavaScript (like dismissing the ad, as in this case).

This said, I'm a bit conflicted with this kind of practices.
On one hand, it's just great to be able to use imgur without ads (not that I'd know, with my ad blocker on).
On the other, it's a power move that only companies with very deep pockets can afford, which is always something to be alert about.

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018
I thought Epic keys were supposed to be free? Also no worries of Humble Choice having EGS exclusives, I guess.

[Hidden content]
This seems to be focused on Epic recouping their sales advance on titles that haven't sold enough to pay Epic back yet. To me this reads like not wanting developers to try make money on games that tanked and didn't make Epic their money back. I'd expect keys are free if they reach that threshold and wouldn't be surprised if they were allowed to participate in bundles then as well.

Reactions: lashman and C-Dub

sk2k

Steam New Releases Warrior
Dec 8, 2018
Somewhere else
Maneater is out. I have watched some gameplay videos and the game is not what i have expected. :( For me it is not "mature" and "gritty" enough. Really.

Reactions: lashman

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Out of curiosity, what's the source of this?
My Google-fu is bad enough that I'm not finding any good results :(
Epic's Dev portal. It's not public, so Google can't get to it. ([Company] -> Store -> Store Policies)

Reactions: Copons

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
If you want to buy Sands of Time, then you will see that all of the good deals are Uplay keys. It is annoying.

Steam:

Allyouplay is also listed incorrectly. They don't sell Steam keys, but uplay keys

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
If you want to buy Sands of Time, then you will see that all of the good deals are Uplay keys. It is annoying.

Steam:

vs. Uplay:

I don't think there's a store that gives you steam key for any ubisoft games now outside of steam.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
So I've had my first real experience of EGS yesterday. I wanted to play one of my freebies, Horace.

Downloaded the game, which went fine. Then I added the game to Playnite, also fine. Everything working as it should, my library looks neat and tidy and is in one place. All great. One of my big criticisims of the EGS is the separate libraries makes things annoying for people who want to play on their TV, but the open source community on PC has solved this issue with Playnite (one reason why PC is the best platform in the first place - this kinda shit is common) so I was willing to give the "just another launcher" a try to see if it is just that.

So I go to launch the game, and it just doesn't work. Playnite shows as "Launching", a small command line window appears for a fraction of a second, disappears, then Playnite returns to its usual self, saying the game is ready to launch.

Okay, must be a Playnite issue, right? So I eschew convenience and navigate to the EGS client with my media keyboard/trackpad combo, click Play. It begins syncing cloud saves and... nothing. No error, no sign it's even attempted to launch the game. Just a small command line window appears, disappears almost immediately, then the saves begin syncing on the game's "exit".

What the hell is going on?

I verify the game files. Issue still happens. I uninstall and reinstall. Same issue.

I navigate to the game's folder, click on the executable and... what do you know? Horace works! So I alter the properties of the game in Playnite to skip the EGS and launch the executable which miraculously also works.

I've never seen a game that requires you to not use the launcher to play it. Alas, I now lose the benefit of cloud saves as the client only syncs them on launch and exit of the game through the client. But the beginning and the end of it is that Horace doesn't work through Epic's own client, but the EGS version of the game does work through other clients like Steam, GOG and Playnite with a tiny amount of tinkering.

But this is an excellent first impression of a store that is apparently "just another launcher".

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Epic's Dev portal. It's not public, so Google can't get to it. ([Company] -> Store -> Store Policies)
I see!
This is kind of a big deal imho, as all fine prints to too-good-to-be-true contracts.
"Yes we pay for exclusives, and keys are fee-free... except for low-selling exclusives!"

Of course one couldn't really expect to see any vg sites inquiring about it...

(Also madjoki apologize for sending you lots of like notifications, but for some reasons that post keeps hiding for me and I have to unlike-like it all the times...)

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
nope, nothing

in fact - they removed their store pages from steam and gog like 2 days ago
A little correction, GOG page was removed back in Late March but except a few fellers, nobody noticed.

Any news about Sinking City on Steam? The game was released on EGS in June 2019.
Unfortunately no, it looks like a kid of difficult game to contact the devs. cause Nacon isn't answering and devs aren't answering either, however the fact that the game got new features a few days prior the removal makes me think that maybe the game is getting some kind of weird GOTY edition or something like that but yeah, it's a weird one.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Reminder that the first Samsho season pass was free on console launch. PC gets to pay 50 usd for a year old game with unplayably bad online and has to buy all the DLC.

SNK made the right move in whoring this game out to every deal that showed up. This is beyond sending it to die, this is choking the game with a pillow and then collecting life insurance money afterwards.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Reminder that the first Samsho season pass was free on console launch. PC gets to pay 50 usd for a year old game with unplayably bad online and has to buy all the DLC.

SNK made the right move in whoring this game out to every deal that showed up. This is beyond sending it to die, this is choking the game with a pillow and then collecting life insurance money afterwards.
Accurate.