News Epic Games Store

Deleted member 113

I think we're all mature enough to have a nuanced discussion on the EGS, even if the overwhelming opinion is negative.
Right... :rolleyes:

Thread reboot won't make EGS not-shit.
Nuanced indeed.

---

Whatever.
Like I mentioned, I can't possibly be more against Epic, and its store. But, I do think people shouldn't have to hear crap when sharing their impressions of a game they bought there, or when they post about a freebie.
In more than one occasion, I've seen users complaining, rightfully, that they can't post anything remotely positive about the EGS, without people piling up on them.

Not everything has to be a discussion. How is "x game is free on the EGS" an invitation for a discussion? Why does a user that posts about a EGS freebie, or a deal, have to receive a barrage of messages saying how the store is shit, how they refuse to use it, and similar stuff? Can't people stop being miserable bastards for a few minutes and, I don't know, just ignore a post, if it's not something you are interested in? At least, as a way of showing some consideration with fellow forum members that think otherwise.

People complain, rightfully, how in the "other forum", among other things, you couldn't make your negative opinions on the EGS heard, without having moderators or other users silencing them, and post crap like "it's just another launcher". Or how PC users would essentially be relegated to the Steam community thread, since the discussion about the platform was frequently toxic elsewhere.

Here, the EGS discussion is 180º different. People can't post anything positive about it, or how they are happy they got a freebie, or a nice deal.
Not even in a year when plenty of people lost their jobs, or part of their income, so they are naturally happy when they get to play a few games for free.

I really don't think two wrongs make a right.

Someone said earlier "This is a forum, it's designed to discuss things.".
That's probably true, and clearly I'm the one who wrongfully thinks that a place to discuss a hobby shouldn't have the negativity frequently on display, especially when it's directed, even if indirectly, at other fellow users.

Stay well. :fingergunsblob:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Nice selective quoting there, nuanced indeed. Like I have to repeat all the previous points when we're discussing something else revolving around that, for many of us, fact (just like you glossed over this saying you couldn't be more against Epic/EGS to show you're the defender of other folks without explaining why). I don't think I ever shat on someone for sharing an EGS game played. I don't even discuss it often, all I do is post VR crap, but that was the topic. People can't talk about shit when their opinion is the majority of a minority like this forum compared to others because someone gets offended and fucks off?

Wonderful. What if it's more about getting defensive of EGS and engaging in discussion trying to convince people it's not bad instead of just posting about games? Of course when their differing opinion is challenged they're going to engage with it in much more detail than just commenting on a game or deal.

Before this discussion string my last post here was this a month+ ago. Before that just discussing the Apple crap when it hit, who will win, etc. Yeah, you conveniently didn't name names for that so called barrage of harassment when anyone posts of EGS but you clearly implied I'm part of it. So, screw you, and anyone who thinks it's true, that's not a light accusation. It's not like I stopped anyone from making a thread, I just said what I think. Make any thread, why ask?

Last edited:
Reactions: MJunioR

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Not even in a year when plenty of people lost their jobs, or part of their income, so they are naturally happy when they get to play a few games for free.

That's probably true, and clearly I'm the one who wrongfully thinks that a place to discuss a hobby shouldn't have the negativity frequently on display, especially when it's directed, even if indirectly, at other fellow users.
Man, two days ago you told me that we shouldn't care about how though it is for indie devs because "it's just business baby" when I said that not everything is black or white about these deals. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Parsnip and MJunioR

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
Right... :rolleyes:

Nuanced indeed.
I admit I don't understand objective of your statements. Multiple users have expressed that there is nothing preventing user from creating a thread specifically tailored towards discussion of Epic Store games only, so feel free to do so and I will respect your intention.

However you seem to genuinely believe replacing this thread with a new one will have significant impact on the discussion; I refuse to see how it will be so when people express negative opinion on Epic Store due to it's current and ongoing business practices, not because they are compelled to blindly follow the majority opinion on this thread. Any non-restrictive Epic thread will always turn into battleground when new controversial Sweeney tweet or Epic exclusive occurs regardless of how much times it get rebooted.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I've never felt like I couldn't post about playing an Epic freebie in here or the Steam thread. I usually let folks know if something is DRM free as well. If people feel strongly about it, oh well. I'm not buying games I don't have to :grimacing-face:

Come back soon, FunktionJCB

Trying to change the topic here a bit

I know that Griftlands on EGS will give you a Steam copy. Is there any other game that also gives you a steam copy too?
I don't think so. Klei has a website that handles all that stuff, so I don't think other devs will go through the trouble of building one.

Last edited:

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Here, the EGS discussion is 180º different. People can't post anything positive about it, or how they are happy they got a freebie, or a nice deal.
I'm surprised you feel this way. The absolute majority of negative talk about EGS I've seen on Metacouncil is directly aimed towards Epic, mostly when they are moneyhatting another 3rd party game from popular devs and/or IP's. The few times I've seen discussions between members, it was about stuff like "it's just another launcher" and the "small vocal minority". [UWSL]I haven't seen antagonistic behavior towards other members, but then again, I do feel negative towards EGS so negative talk about this doesn't really bother me. [/UWSL]😉

I suggest next time you see unacceptable behavior towards other people, just talk about it with this person in PM. We have a great community here and I believe we all want to work on keeping it this way.

Pogi

illiterate
Jun 25, 2019
Even if you reboot the EGS thread I'd stop by and vent since I'd be reminded everytime I want to buy a game that it is now turned exclusive. Simple, I can't buy from Epic. I can't use my PayPal balance without connecting a CC. So I went to the nearest convenience store to top-up, no Epic credit. Went to the nearest gaming store, cant buy Epic Store gift card. And they have the audacity to lock up games I would have bought (Phoenix Point) and I will buy (Hitman 3) when they cant erect a structure that all other PC platforms have that allows people to buy from them.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
"Hey, Game X is free on EGS"
"Nah, I am boycotting them."

At this point, the discussion between those two posters should be over. No-one is shitting on anyone playing an EGS game, no-one is shitting on anyone not playing the EGS game.

And if the first poster really wants a discussion about that game without metacommentary about EGS, they can create an OT about that specific game.

Mind you, the poster who told the thread (either the meta thread or EGS thread) about the free game, can still try to convert the undecided people to try out the game based on the merit of the game itself.
Theoretically, I would listen to arguments about a phenomenal story, gameplay, etc. but anyone who tells me I should just abandon the boycott and that it is stupid etc. I would just ignore (the opinion about it, not the user ;) )
The same about the people criticizing EGS, a "thank you, but no" should suffice

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I honestly have no idea what the issue is. Did people get bullied for playing EGS freebies? Can someone please tell me how this whole thing started?
People were bullied for playing free games on EGS? What nonsense is this? EGS being bs or not, it's not ok to bully people for this
I don't think so. Klei has a website that handles all that stuff, so I don't think other devs will go through the trouble of building one.
Aww. Klei is nice for letting people get a Steam copy too. The others should do the same, the other way around wouldn't hurt either. We have seen one or two games that gave EGS copy for free, but I believe those are paid giveaways anyway... (Rocket League and Killing Floor 2 are two games that came to my mind)

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
People were bullied for playing free games on EGS? What nonsense is this? EGS being bs or not, it's not ok to bully people for this

Aww. Klei is nice for letting people get a Steam copy too. The others should do the same, the other way around wouldn't hurt either. We have seen one or two games that gave EGS copy for free, but I believe those are paid giveaways anyway... (Rocket League and Killing Floor 2 are two games that came to my mind)
Just to be clear, I'm not saying that anyone got bullied. I'm asking if anyone did, because FunktionJCB said that people couldn't post something positive about EGS and I wondered if something happened.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Just to be clear, I'm not saying that anyone got bullied. I'm asking if anyone did, because FunktionJCB said that people couldn't post something positive about EGS and I wondered if something happened.
I didn't follow the discussion, all I know that FunktionJCB wanted a separate EGS thread for a bit more positive EGS discussion since this thread is more of a "EGS bad, Steam good thread". I understand what he wanted, I also would want a toxic free discussion no matter how bad a certain thing is. It kinda sucks that FunktionJCB left. He had so many good recommendation, and he has a lot good arguments in any discussion from time to time.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
It's sad that he has left, for now (I assume), but if someone wants change, just leaving because things seems like they don't go the way they want isn't how change happens. Sometimes, change takes time.

Anyone is free to make a new more positive EGS-thread, so I don't fully understand why has left for now.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I didn't follow the discussion, all I know that FunktionJCB wanted a separate EGS thread for a bit more positive EGS discussion since this thread is more of a "EGS bad, Steam good thread". I understand what he wanted, I also would want a toxic free discussion no matter how bad a certain thing is. It kinda sucks that FunktionJCB left. He had so many good recommendation, and he has a lot good arguments in any discussion from time to time.
I don't understand what a new thread would change though. Would positivity about EGS be mandated? Would people with negative opinions on EGS be forbidden to post there? How would that new thread work?

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I mean, maybe read the room? I think it's pretty clear that the vast majority of users here on Meta see Epic not only as a different place to buy digital games but as a danger to their personal freedom as a consumer (ugh word, but still) and buying or activating anything on that store is actively helping that danger to materialize. It's bigger than “digital toys” for most of them, so I don't really know what the hell do you expect. You want to talk about it? Fine, just don't expect everyone to clap and shout in orgasmic adoration and don't think that you're actively dismissing their concerns are acting against their interest.

It's like going onto a forum where the vast majority of people is boycotting Amazon because they exploit workers and expect people to not get upset when you said you bought something on Amazon because it was cheap.

Last edited:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I have said as much in the past what Francis brought up, that buying and claiming free games does promote and help EGS and I have also said that it would be better to just pirate the games. I do realise that it contributes to a toxic environment and can make people feel attacked if they don't really care that strongly about EGS and just want their free games. I have toned down my criticism of what people do and just concentrate on shitting on EGS.

If someone wanted create a more positive EGS thread I would respect the want behind it and just not visit it or say anything in it.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
since this thread is more of a "EGS bad, Steam good thread".
People criticizing EGS has litterally nothing to do with Steam, but everything with Epic's own actions. Many people have explained this on many occasions already. No one is fighting some stupid platform war here.

I understand what he wanted, I also would want a toxic free discussion no matter how bad a certain thing is.
Since FunktionJCB left before answering my question, I'll ask the same question to you: where in this thread is toxic behavior against other members?

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Funktion asked me to post this message.

«Alextended, you can stop editing your post. Weren't the 20+ times you did so since yesterday already enough? Just how many times one can rewrite "screw you", to make it sound intelligent? If I may say, the first ones were much better, and to the point. My regards to all.»

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Screw you, too. I edited it again and added another comma and more references to past discussions. I also just edited this post. What's your point? I have OCD and always post too fast and then add to my posts elaborating my thoughts, not changing the point of the original as you admit, without caring what you find better. I also change the word and character count to make it look nice in my browser with my text size, nice blocks of text with few half lines and stuff. Just as I (well, almost) always try to post tweets in even numbers because they nicely fit side by side rather than leave a lot of blank space in the post and also usually try to post them by how tall each looks in the final post, in descending order. What's it to you? Am I supposed to feel bad because someone I've barely ever interacted with (I barely interact with anyone in particular, I'm not the most social person out there, that's for sure) in all his nuance accused me out of the blue of harassment, left (again it was said? I don't even know) but still lurks and responds (to ridicule me apparently, not to say I misunderstood and he wasn't trying to say I harassed anyone) and will return, presumably to repeat the same process? I know it shows the edited mark on the posts and don't even care if it shows the edit history or not like other forums do, I do it everywhere. Hey all, this post started a single line, how cool is that? This line was half too, now it's this monstrosity.

Last edited:

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I'm sure you didn't post this with bad intentions, but can we please not do this? If Funktion has anything useful to add to this discussion, he's free to reactivate his account to do so.

Screw you, too.
And please let's not do this either. If you have issues with another member, sort it out in PM in a respectful way instead.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I'm sure you didn't post this with bad intentions, but can we please not do this? If Funktion has anything useful to add to this discussion, he's free to reactivate his account to do so. 😀
I understand your point, you are evidently right, but Funktion is a friend. He, by his own fault, couldn’t reply, and I don’t want to be the one who turns down the last words of a friend. Even if they may be ill advised.
That being said, these words are not my own, and at the risk of sounding too, what, rosy ? I just see an unfortunate failure at communication here. I’m certain Funktion didn’t want to attack Alex on his ocd, and all of this is just sad. And yeah, not excusing Funktion, he is too quick to leave when things heat up.

edit
End of the day, here is my wishlist
that Alex can overcome this shit that he suffers from (I know the feeling all too well)
that Funktion one day comes bak
that the two of them can discuss things in a calmer way down the line

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I'm sure you didn't post this with bad intentions, but can we please not do this? If Funktion has anything useful to add to this discussion, he's free to reactivate his account to do so.

And please let's not do this either. If you have issues with another member, sort it out in PM in a respectful way instead.
While I understand what you are getting at, being called out by a member and being told not to reply is a little hard. I've been attacked that way too and it's easier said than done.

Reactions: Rogue Agent

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Lol. I don't feel like I suffer, don't worry about that or anything, it's mostly confined to texting anyway, or writing generally, I no longer count steps and shit :D
I’m admittedly more talking about my perception of ocd more than anything here. It’s genuinely cool to hear you don’t have trouble handling it.

Reactions: Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Well, no trouble to me, maybe I don't get it like I didn't get other things and it was just what seemed natural, just making my text "right", with elaboration and visually. I suppose it's truly a waste of time I could use to be more functional elsewhere but oh well, usually I don't need to reiterate like this, I post VR media fluff. Anyway, I didn't want to make this about me, carry on folks, it's all good, I don't even remember who the guy with the VR is shit beef I argued with was...

Last edited:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I don't understand what a new thread would change though. Would positivity about EGS be mandated? Would people with negative opinions on EGS be forbidden to post there? How would that new thread work?
Start fresh, allow both - just don't aim any ire at other forum members (stolen from and paraphrasing Monooboe: tone down criticism of what people do with the store and just concentrate on shitting on EGS itself. )

At the very least, the OP of a new post could have a summary of EGS-related events from launch to now. Even if it has an anti-EGS slant, it's better than slogging through 250 pages.

All that being said, aside from a halloween sale, I think Epic is a little more focused on their charade lawsuit with Apple and FortNite riight now to really drop any news bombs about the store. A trickle of 'scloosies not with standing

Reactions: lashman

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I occasionally buy stuff from EGS but only if I can't buy it anywhere else. Latest was Crysis Remastered.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I occasionally buy stuff from EGS but only if I can't buy it anywhere else. Latest was Crysis Remastered.
Isn't that version really bad? Only heard bad things about it.

Guess now having user reviews are a good thing for devs/pubs at times.

Reactions: prudis

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
If I were to use my coupon, I think it would be on What the Golf. It is also on Steam, but I could get it for 6 € with the coupon, and it is a short game (3-8 hours).

Another candidate would be I am Dead, with similar features:

Last edited:

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
While I understand what you are getting at, being called out by a member and being told not to reply is a little hard. I've been attacked that way too and it's easier said than done.
Trust me, I'm fully aware of that. I've been attacked almost daily on the other forum for criticizing UWP and EGS.

Best thing to do is giving yourself some time to cool down before responding. And respond using DM's; there's no need to get other people involved in personal disputes.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
In general I'd say there doesn't seem to be a need for a new thread for talking about the games specifically. Pretty sure people have posted impressions of epic egsclusive games in the steam thread and haven't gotten crucified for doing so. If someone attacks another person for getting the free games or buying games there, we have a system to deal with that don't we.

edit: Also if people are not okay with exclusives being talked about in the steam thread I would understand that too, but I still don't think a new separate thread would be needed. This one would still serve that purpose just fine.

I understand your point, you are evidently right, but Funktion is a friend. He, by his own fault, couldn’t reply, and I don’t want to be the one who turns down the last words of a friend. Even if they may be ill advised.
If Function is as good a friend to you as you are to him, he should not be putting you in this position and using you to deliver his dirty laundry.
Especially when he is in the position to do it himself, just chooses not to. To be sure, there's a difference in being unable to reply versus choosing not to reply and instead using a friend to deliver the message.

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Trust me, I'm fully aware of that. I've been attacked almost daily on the other forum for criticizing UWP and EGS.

Best thing to do is giving yourself some time to cool down before responding. And respond using DM's; there's no need to get other people involved in personal disputes.
Except that there is such a thing and right and wrong, and if someone is being gratuitously hostile, you have a right to reply instead of falling into silence when you are being abused.

Sorry, but I am rather dismayed when I see situations where the mere existence of a conflict is enough for people to declare that both sides are equal. Of course, you can decide to not answer, but you have a right to reply, and it is not wrong when you are being jumped on.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I really didn't follow it and I don't want to get on anyone's case. I just would like to offer that conflict isn't necessarily both parties' fault.

This isn't apple vs epic.

Last edited:

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Except that there is such a thing and right and wrong, and if someone is being gratuitously hostile, you have a right to reply instead of falling into silence when you are being abused.

Sorry, but I am rather dismayed when I see situations where the mere existence of a conflict is enough for people to declare that both sides are equal. Of course, you can decide to not answer, but you have a right to reply, and it is not wrong when you are being jumped on.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I really didn't follow it and I don't want to get on anyone's case. I just would like to offer that conflict isn't necessarily both parties' fault.

This isn't apple vs epic.
Of course you have the right to reply. I'm only asking everyone here on MC not to respond to hostile behavior with more hostile behavior. This doesn't only derail the thread, but it also isn't fun to read for everyone else on this forum.

If a discussion is heating up, send that person a PM and solve your dispute in a respectful way. If someone is being gratuitously hostile, use the "report post" button and the community will respond accordingly. This way you'll also prevent other people considering both of you at fault, even if you didn't make the initial hostile comment.

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019

«Alextended, you can stop editing your post. Weren't the 20+ times you did so since yesterday already enough? Just how many times one can rewrite "screw you", to make it sound intelligent? If I may say, the first ones were much better, and to the point. My regards to all.»
Yikes, this is really petty and doesn't contribute anything to the conversation.

Worse, It's an "attack" to another member post in a discussion about how users should not attack other users because of their stance.

I'm sure it was made in the heat of the moment but it represents everything we shouldn't be doing as a forum.

Just my opinion.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
It's fine let's just move on. Four more posts after this one here for the page to switch & we can leave all this behind. Is there anything new about EGS to discuss..?

Reactions: Swenhir and lashman

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
I've got my $10 off coupon yet unspent. So, Idk what went on (I don't visit forums on the weekend) but, as someone who got jumped for buying stuff on EGS (and reacted in a terrible way, which was my fault) , lets have the thread but open to both complaints and people willing to interact with the store.

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I've got my $10 off coupon yet unspent. So, Idk what went on (I don't visit forums on the weekend) but, as someone who got jumped for buying stuff on EGS (and reacted in a terrible way, which was my fault) , lets have the thread but open to both complaints and people willing to interact with the store.
Indeed.

Personally if I were to use the coupon I would use it on something that is exclusive to the store and not coming to Steam in the near future.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Can you buy vbux with it :unsure:🤣 I'd buy an Unreal Tournament or something with no issues and remorse whatsoever had Epic still been making stuff like that...

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Eh, not gonna go again on new page, my opinion on the store has been seen, I was just saying that regardless of that I'd be up for an Unreal Tournament is all...

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Seriously? That statement fucking offended you? No idea what run ins you're talking about or who you are, perhaps next time ignore folks without your drama? Oh, with your edit, you're the (different name?) one who shat on VR, hated others liked it or didn't find it overpriced & left? Now you hate others hate EGS and pretend to ignore/leave. Ironic, whether you think so or not. I've ignored a person but didn't announce it to them & the world (and should probably undo, did).

Funnily enough it's probably you Function wanted to "protect from harassment", crying foul while insulting others, stirring the pot while handwaving opinions. What anyone feels remorse over is their own deal, you're not some moral authority to spew accusations and condemnation left and right like you're sin free.

You know this post is a reply to you above so it needs to remain that, as you edit. I never used earlier posts to reply to later posts and Function didn't claim so. I never changed the point of my post like you just did by deleting over half of it, trying to hide your bubbling animosity, hatred and personal attacks and insults to me just for saying that despite not liking EGS, I'd buy an Unreal Tournament! Guess you were silent on the last page to pounce and shit on this. Screw you too...

Last edited: