News Epic Games Store

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
What is this from? A sales report of some kind?

But yeah that's bad. People only buying the game when Tim subsidies the sales. All Epic does is burn money by giving away free games and paying people to buy games. No matter how much they make off of Fortnight that can't go on forever.
Remedy's economical report

Reactions: Shahem and lashman

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I wouldn't be surprised if there are some repeats during those 15 days.
I'm more curious to see how the high profile releases compare to last time they did a big giveaway. Can they match GTAV and Civilization VI?

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I was surprised at how low key Epic was this year. The only things they showed were trailers for Super Meat Boy Forever and Oddworld Soulstorm (two previously known exclusives), Unreal Tournament DLC for Warframe and being shown alongside Steam for some multiplatform games.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I was surprised at how low key Epic was this year. The only things they showed were trailers for Super Meat Boy Forever and Oddworld Soulstorm (two previously known exclusives), Unreal Tournament DLC for Warframe and being shown alongside Steam for some multiplatform games.
Wait UT DLC for Warframe o_O
Actually let me re-itirate; Dim Swiney remembred they made the Unreal video game series?

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
To be fair to Epic, that is probably the same sales trajectory most single player games have. The more interesting thing is that PC sales were virtually nil during periods where it wasn't on sale whereas the console version had slightly higher overall sales during their off sales periods.
Yeah I imagine many single player games (and games in general) have similar falloffs during non sales period. I think the striking thing is how low the sales for the PC version are during non sales periods, likely due to horrible discovery on the Epic Games Store, along with very little reason for people to spend time in the client, unlike Steam that has a lot of features users may find useful outside of gaming like the community features or the message boards.

If other Epic Games store releases have similar results as control Epic was probably burning money even faster than we though, with people only really buying the games when it first came out or when Tim was subsidizing the purchases with coupons that are losing him money on most sales.

Reactions: Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Ladies, Gentlemen and everyone here, no TGA reel at all, only a few old announcements and that's it. Does my post make more sense now?
I have to admit, I'm really surprised. Let's hope this means the end of mass exclusivity deals on pc, and that pc gaming actually gains value with whatever Epic is cooking to do next with their store.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
I was wrong about Eitr, now I don't understand what's going on with their internals and their page.

I have to admit, I'm really surprised. Let's hope this means the end of mass exclusivity deals on pc, and that pc gaming actually gains value with whatever Epic is cooking to do next with their store.
As I said, most will opt for a multi-store approach, WB has decided to take that path, most of the announcements for EGS were (if we don't take into consideration the old exclusives) multi-store or nonexistent.

Exclusives will keep happening but nothing like 2019, in fact, I even think their approach with their publishing brand will be timed exclusivity, not complete, due to risks and potential revenue expansion by adding new markets but that's a topic for another time :evilblob:

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Potential list of free games:

Jurassic World Evolution
Conan Exiles
Darkest Dungeon
Nights in the woods
Oddword new and tasty.
Wargame: Red Dragon (was announced but delayed I think)

Reactions: gabbo and lashman

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Potential list of free games:

Jurassic World Evolution
Conan Exiles
Darkest Dungeon
Nights in the woods
Oddword new and tasty.
Wargame: Red Dragon (was announced but delayed I think)
All those make sense to be part of the 15 freebies.

Each one of them are part of an already in-place dev/pub on EGS, so makes things easier.

Reactions: lashman

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
My theory is that neither Epic not developers ever got the sales they expected. So Epic might be questioning the wisdom of burning through cash for games that don't bring in enough sales and developers may be hesitant to sign up for a deal that leaves them with bad sales for a whole year.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
My theory is that neither Epic not developers ever got the sales they expected. So Epic might be questioning the wisdom of burning through cash for games that don't bring in enough sales and developers may be hesitant to sign up for a deal that leaves them with bad sales for a whole year.
I think it's very unlikely that developers would refuse to sign up for Epic's exclusivity. They get loads of money from Epic up front, and even more money from actual sales when their game hits other storefronts.

Reactions: gabbo

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Do they get lots of money anymore?
This.

You need to be an exceptional game to get a second life on Steam.
There are not many great successes or even one massive success on the EGS. On the contrary, like we predicted, many of the games who did take the exclusive deal are mediocre (review-wise), financial disasters (as far as we can deduct by the silence of some devs and games and even the closure of some studios who took the deal), or just plain forgotten when they release on Steam.

If you are a dev who has just an inkling of desire to continue making games, the current EGS situation is not desireable, even if it would give you a cash injection.
  • Epic doesn't seem to just throw away money anymore and is more selective (if we don't subscribe to the idea that they just don't find anyone willing to sign anymore)
  • Epic does not have the prestige of Sony, Nintendo, or even Microsoft. You are not getting more hype just because you signed the exclusive deal, too many mediocre games in the last 2 years muddy the waters.
  • The current contracts could just be underwhelming and not be a blank cheque like in the first year.
  • The last is kind of a paradox: The fewer exclusives release in a year, the less you could "hide" your game in the release schedule. What I mean: When there were dozens of exclusives released in a year, you could just be another dev who takes the legitimate exclusive deal, it is nothing (too) special, just a business decision. But when you are one of the few games that took a deal in year 3, every eye is on you, sure those are eyes on your product, but for the wrong reason. The waters are muddied by all the bad games before you. And unless Epic has several 85+ score games in the next months, your game will be associated with all those duds who took the deal.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I think it's very unlikely that developers would refuse to sign up for Epic's exclusivity. They get loads of money from Epic up front, and even more money from actual sales when their game hits other storefronts.
Isn't Epic changing their model for this anyway in the new year? devs are meant to reach out and not the other way around - barring some circumstances

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Do they get lots of money anymore?
I suppose so. At least the Hitman 3 devs did. Why else would anyone go EGS exclusive?

Isn't Epic changing their model for this anyway in the new year? devs are meant to reach out and not the other way around - barring some circumstances
I can imagine lots of devs are standing in line to get Epic's up front money. But it seems extremely unlikely to me that many devs will go EGS exclusive without financial deal. Several former EGS exclusive games sold better on Steam.

EGS is also clearly not getting anywhere near the kind of marketing spend it got in its first year. I'm sure most of us remember the relentless barrage of sponsored and non sponsored articles constantly singing Epic's praises.
I guess this isn't necessary anymore because of the game giveaways. Game sites are praising Epic weekly for this.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Then why are there fewer exclusives this year compared to last? According to your logic, most devs and pubs will go EGS exclusive, but it appears that they don't.

IOI is actually somewhat understandable. They are independent and publishing Hitman 3 themselves. Does it suck? Yes, but it's understandable.

Im actually suprised Raji: An Ancient Epic didn't go EGS exclusive as they were looking for other jobs while making the game.

Reactions: Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Then why are there fewer exclusives this year compared to last? According to your logic, most devs and pubs will go EGS exclusive, but it appears that they don't.
Good point. It just seems unlikely to me that they can't find any more games to moneyhat. Perhaps Epic didn't want to spend as much money on exclusivity than last year? Or perhaps they realized that the coupons and free games are more effective while creating less negative reactions? We honestly don't know...

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Good point. It just seems unlikely to me that they can't find any more games to moneyhat. Perhaps Epic didn't want to spend as much money on exclusivity than last year? Or perhaps they realized that the coupons and free games are more effective while creating less negative reactions? We honestly don't know...
Then whatever is happening now is the best because whatever is happening at Epic now is leading to fewer exclusives being announced.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Then whatever is happening now is the best because whatever is happening at Epic now is leading to fewer exclusives being announced.
Time will tell. I still expect Epic to go all in on their publishing label, thereby turning games from the most popular developers into permanent EGS exclusives. And while I don't really mind 1st party exclusives, I don't see myself giving my money to Epic any time soon. The less this shitty company is involved in my favorite hobby the better. 🙂

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada

Epic is adding a Fortnite mode which is essentially bootleg Among Us lmao. They did a CSGO ripoff mode back in February and it wasnt very good so not much hope here either. Especially since the game doesnt have text chat.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018

Epic is adding a Fortnite mode which is essentially bootleg Among Us lmao. They did a CSGO ripoff mode back in February and it wasnt very good so not much hope here either. Especially since the game doesnt have text chat.
Is this real? I joked about Epic ripping Among Us sometime ago.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Is this real? I joked about Epic ripping Among Us sometime ago.
New patch came out an hour ago and dataminers leaked it. (Yes I unironically play fortnite and the datamines are legit)

Apparently its a fanmade creative mode Epic is officially adding to the game (they do this pretty frequently) so they didnt even put in the effort to make it themselves, they just took it from Creative.

• Toucan
Reactions: xinek and lashman

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019

They even used the "sus" expression... Just how low can they go?!
It's pathetic really.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
HZD and the EA games are very doubtful. But nothing is impossible I guess.
That's not the biggest indicative tho, we need to remember last year's giveaway, how many were AAA and how many were Indies (even duplicated from past giveaways)

In that list no a single Indie? suspicious.
Presence from Konami? doubtful due to how it operates
Capcom? same (and we would know by know because of the leak)
Bethesda? not impossible but still weird
Ubi? yeah, sure, breakpoint included
Hitman 2? expected at some point alongside 1
EA? they just release star wars there so far so makes me think that's Disney's word to get more people.

And the reasons keep appearing, it is a weirdly built list which has not consistency with what we have been seeing all this year.

Dec 5, 2018

Dunno if it's true or just a hopeful wish.
You're telling me that a game that lowered it's price one cent so the coupon wouldn't apply is gonna be given away for free ? (the witcher 3)
Monster Hunter world, yeah... no.
And Horizon ... ehhh ... Sony released a 3 year old game that is like 20€ on ps4 for 50€ they aint giving that away for free anytime soon (if ever)

The only one of that list that i could see being given away is hitman 2.

• This!
Reactions: lashman
Dec 5, 2018
The new oddworld and the new darkest dungeon are releasing there so makes sense.
And wasn't conan exiles going to be given away and then it wasn't?

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018

Dunno if it's true or just a hopeful wish.
That's very wishful thinking. There are a few in there I could see being released for free, maybe even multiple in one promotion alongside some indies, but the whole lot? Nah.

After CDPR went nuclear over a $10 coupon devaluing The Witcher 3, they're not gonna suddenly give it away for free.

Horizon has a sales tail to sell to before Sony even consider giving that one away.

Some of the publishers of the above listed games aren't even on EGS yet, like Konami, Bethesda and Capcom as far as I'm aware.

Ubisoft is running their own freebie promotion on Uplay, so any big guns will be saved for that. They're not going to let Epic undermine their own store promotion.

And the list is completely omitting publishers who have form for jumping on board with Epic's freebies. Plus it is also lacking games in PC-specific genres that Epic has targeted before, like 4X and RTS.

In short, someone just picked a bunch of popular AAA games of the last 7 years (because their imagination doesn't go much further than that) and shat this list out.

Reactions: ISee and lashman