News Epic Games Store

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Nearly every time I enter this thread I see a sweeny shitpost.
He's really dying in that 3.5% bandwidth argument... but only in one direction ....
never about consoles ....
He'll handwave it by making some excuse about how they lose money on hardware (which is only partially true) and make some excuse about the Steam Deck being a PC so it not counting. In reality, he doesn't want to upset the companies that generate the vast majority of Epic's revenue.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
He'll handwave it by making some excuse about how they lose money on hardware (which is only partially true) and make some excuse about the Steam Deck being a PC so it not counting. In reality, he doesn't want to upset the companies that generate the vast majority of Epic's revenue.
At least not until he has undermined Apple and Google. We’ll see a complete about face on the consoles if he does.

Reactions: lashman

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
At least not until he has undermined Apple and Google. We’ll see a complete about face on the consoles if he does.
I agree. The minute Apple is f0rced to allow alternate stores (and they will once the EU Digital Markets Act is passed) is the minute Tim goes on the offense against the console companies. I hate sounding like a broken record, but we see these same arguments every time and the positions never change so here we are.

Adding something new to the conversation, Apple is going to allow alternative payment providers in South Korea. The catch is Apple will collect a 26% commission on sales, which is what anyone who followed the trial knew they would do.

He is in complete denial and/or don't know what he is talking about
He's being disingenuous and talking about multiplayer backends instead of store features. I know Steamworks has cross play as it exists in Dota Underlords, but it probably isn't as developer friendly as EOS which is why it's rarely used. I wish Valve would update their tools to more easily facilitate cross play so developers use EOS less often.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

meschio94

Aug 21, 2021
this is really strange, i can saw 3 outcome:

-Epic want some exclusive deal (store exclusive, EOS service exclusive than steamworks), devs/pubs refused
-Devs/Pubs want to be moneyhatted for publish games on egs, even without exclsuive
-Devs/Pubs get so low revenue on egs, they don't even bother to sell the game here

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
this is really strange, i can saw 3 outcome:

-Epic want some exclusive deal (store exclusive, EOS service exclusive than steamworks), devs/pubs refused
-Devs/Pubs want to be moneyhatted for publish games on egs, even without exclsuive
-Devs/Pubs get so low revenue on egs, they don't even bother to sell the game here
Honestly with the way things are going with EGS and the dire sales numbers we can easily figure out based on their end of year reports I could very well see Epic getting into a situation where they have to pay just to have a game on their store as a non exclusive. Honestly if that happens they really did it to themselves by paying to have games on their store in the first place.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Honestly with the way things are going with EGS and the dire sales numbers we can easily figure out based on their end of year reports I could very well see Epic getting into a situation where they have to pay just to have a game on their store as a non exclusive. Honestly if that happens they really did it to themselves by paying to have games on their store in the first place.
They already payed CDPR to put Cpunk on EGS, I can definetly see pubs and devs asking for money for multistore releases or they won't bother to put it on EGS. Updating builds on multiple storefront costs time and resources, which is money for pubs and especially indies.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Tim pretty much got what he wanted (at least in the EU). It'll be interesting to see the fallout, especially since Apple will fight tooth and nail to keep their grip on the App Store.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
If that means he spends less on paying for PC exclusives go right ahead and pay for a bunch of mobile exclusives Tim.
Well, to be fair, as you can see, there is no need for mobile to stop paid exclusivities, third party exclusivities have been going down for more than a year since their strategy switched and the ones that are popping-up no are nothing but pre-covid era deals.

• Gib
Reactions: Ge0force

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I can officially prove to you all that the top seller list is complete bullshit and purposely made up by Epic for promotional purposes.

Right now, The Callisto Protol is on the 14th place on the top seller list.

Problem is, the game cannot be pre-ordered. There is no price, only a "coming soon".

A game that cannot be bought is on the "top SELLLER" list.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Lmao. So either everything is completely made up, or at most the top 13 games in the list have sold > 0 copies and the remaining spots are filled with games selling nothing that are ordered based on some metrics to make it look better.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I can officially prove to you all that the top seller list is complete bullshit and purposely made up by Epic for promotional purposes.

Right now, The Callisto Protol is on the 14th place on the top seller list.

Problem is, the game cannot be pre-ordered. There is no price, only a "coming soon".

A game that cannot be bought is on the "top SELLLER" list.
You can already buy the digital deluxe edition and day one edition.

I'm more shocked that Skull & Bones is 4th in the top sellers list.
Who on earth decided to pre-order that crap after seeing the latest footage? :unsure:

Dec 5, 2018
While we don't know if the chart is revenue or units based and how often it updates.. It's possible that it's real but that there isn't much movement so any small movement makes any game shoot to the top.

• This!
Reactions: Arc

Morten88

Aug 8, 2021
Was "Lets build a zoo" ever on their top seller list? We know that it sold around 320 copies in the first week on EGS, cause it was only around 1% of the total sales of 32k, shared by Mike Rose. The game was released 5 Nov 2021.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Damn. That was quick.*

*quick once the story blew up beyond reddit
These kinds of stories can escalate quickly, so it was always gonna end this way.

That said, Epic could’ve avoided this issue by not fucking the game up in the first place and having better trained customer service reps.

Then again, this is Epic, so they’re always going to be putting out fires they either started themselves or neglected to prevent.