News Epic Games Store

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Just caught up on the news that Phoenix Point will also release on Xbox pass day one so its another 'just not on Steam' eggs exclusive.

I wonder what the actual contract that they signed with epic says? Does it just say 'cant release on Steam'? or was there a prior deal in place that epic couldn't buy them out of?
Exodus and Phoenix Point coming to Xbox Game Pass on day one was announced way before EGS became a thing. I'm repeating myself but either microsoft found some kind of loophole or PC Game Pass was always included in the original microsoft deal/plan and epic had to swallow it.
Phoenix Point was also supposed to come to GOG.com, but that version was canceled too when Epic send over that nice paycheck. So it wasn't just Steam with this game.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Exodus and Phoenix Point coming to Xbox Game Pass on day one was announced way before EGS became a thing. I'm repeating myself but either microsoft found some kind of loophole or PC Game Pass was always included in the original microsoft deal/plan and epic had to swallow it.
Phoenix Point was also supposed to come to GOG.com, but that version was canceled too when Epic send over that nice paycheck. So it wasn't just Steam with this game.
Ah ok. I see. I guess Microsoft does a bit more to 'lock in' upcoming games once they get announced for it.

Im just a bit gutted as I love the new XCOM games and Phoenix Point seemed right up my street.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Yeah, i was disappointed by Phoenix Point but after a few minutes i stopped caring and like most other EGSclusives i've forgotten about it and moved on as there's PLENTY of good games out there. I'll have a look when it leaves Epic Early Access and has a full release next year but i may not even buy it then due to other games i'm looking forward to.

Honestly, the only time i think of EGS is when someone mentions it, aside from that there's plenty of other stores that are actually relevant to my interests that i pay attention to.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah, i was disappointed by Phoenix Point but after a few minutes i stopped caring and like most other EGSclusives i've forgotten about it and moved on as there's PLENTY of good games out there. I'll have a look when it leaves Epic Early Access and has a full release next year but i may not even buy it then due to other games i'm looking forward to.

Honestly, the only time i think of EGS is when someone mentions it, aside from that there's plenty of other stores that are actually relevant to my interests that i pay attention to.
Yeah i agree. As ive got older and my collection has got larger ive moved on from the 'day one' circus of gaming. I realised a while ago that there is no game that ive simply got to have right now and can wait and if it doesn't appear on a store that im happy to use then oh well.

Although if XCOM 3 went eggs i would certainly have a few harsh words and require a stiff gin n tonic to calm down.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
Damiani's response seemed promising but it was brief and not much. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I wish these people just did their research. There are great sources out there. You've got forums, you've got twitter threads like the one lash did, you've got that Google Doc that has lots of info. Nobody can feign ignorance.

Anyone who trots out the stupid "it's just another launcher" is basically just shit-posting, regardless of their intent. It's so embarrassing that a nobody like me who doesn't know much about these kinds of things has more knowledge than these people.

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
I'm not a patron anymore, but that's one of the reasons I stopped funding media outlets like EZA/KFG. They're being given money to do things "the right way" and they still don't either inform themselves or stick to things they understand. It's hugely frustrating, and felt like a waste of my money.
That's completely understandable. I would only be a patron if I really appreciated how an individual/group did things and their entertainment was valuable to me in a big way and they kept growing positively. As much as I lenjoy EZA despite their glaring issues, I'm not a patron. Their whole attitude (well most of them) on this Epic issue and lack of research makes it even less likely for me to be a patron in the future.

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
I'm not a patron anymore, but that's one of the reasons I stopped funding media outlets like EZA/KFG. They're being given money to do things "the right way" and they still don't either inform themselves or stick to things they understand. It's hugely frustrating, and felt like a waste of my money.

Side-note, I like that Tim admitted today that their account creation system was so insecure, it allowed for the creation of thousands of fake accounts that they had to remove (supposedly remove):

sooo timmy is posting on r/fuckepic ?
I can't even. that guy.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Be sure to check out Chet's twitter acct today. He was going in on idiots downplaying the value provided by Steam.
I especially enjoyed this line regarding games journalists:

But you know what you are? You're the uninformed sh*t poster not taking them time to understand and cover the issue
Which is exactly right.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Like I'm just a loser on the internet, but you're a businessman. Don't you have something...to do?
First, we have no proof that he is writing the message. As for all the famous people swimming in money, there is a team managing the social media accounts. In this case, the message could have been written by support, there is no hint that it is Tim's writing.

Second, it might be important for Epic to counter the fake-news narrative that the "free games" are one-time-install pirated games:

That being said, I do not know what is the best course of action for Epic. You have a bunch of people upvoting anti-Epic posts, downvoting posts seen as pro-Epic, irrespectively of their truth or quality. Exposing the narrative on the same page ensures that people who access the page after a Google search can have the info, even though it is downvoted to hell. It might be the smartest way to deal with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Took screens of all Chet's relevant tweets if anyone wants it. Or you can just link to the poll that kicked it off rather than all of them individually. Or tell people to scroll down in his profile until they see that poll then read it all in reverse order. Whatever works I guess.

Sorry for the Greek, screenshots don't adjust to your local language :p

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Is that an ancient article re-published? It talks about how Fallout 76 "will" require the Bethesda launcher and only be available there and shit? Isn't that already out, a failure, and confirmed for Steam alongside all their upcoming games? And how is it better than the Windows Store, both were hated about the same but Windows Store surely has more games at least. I'd put EGS under both. How is Steam's "astonishing growth" a reason to go elsewhere (among other bs)?

Last edited:

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
I think media deserves a flogging for not really following gamers on this. It's the market that decides if something is viable and not the push from the media downwards which in this case seems to be the way they are trying to make EGS a thing.

I mean of course gamers could be wrong on this (But it's very unlikely) and EGS will make prices lower (Never going to happen) after they get a bigger marketshare by shoehorning themselves in by hammering people with sacks of money but the thing is GOG got themselves a decent marketshare by actually PROVIDING things that aren't available on Steam by their own accord and none of the gamers had issues with them unsurprisingly.

I think media doesn't get that GOG and Steam did good things to PC gaming while EGS is kneecapping it. It really annoys me that the people who are supposed to be looking out for us don't care about the general consensus of their customers but rather push an overbearing narrative that disregards any opinion and isn't even really factual in their claims.
The whole thing just makes me think they are kneejerking over the idea that gamers might be right in something and they have to push back 'cause it's somehow an anti-GG stance.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019

Lol pc gamer. I'm sure those replies were what they hoped
Uplay - Number 8

• Cloud Save
  • Achievements
  • 20% discounts for costumers on new titles (not U.S.)
  • shopping cart
  • Friend List
  • Chat & Voice Chat
  • works just fine

According to the article it's boring because you can earn achievements aka uplay points. Has some good games, but those games don't need to be bound to a specific launcher!

Unless you love earning Uplay points, for some reason, UPlay is just a boring fact of life if you want to play a Ubisoft game. A shame Siege and Assassin's Creed: Odyssey are as good as they are.
EGS - Number 4

- Has barely any kind of basic features

Is a pain to use, according to the article. But it has headroom to improve and it forces you to use a specific launcher to play certain, good, games. Therefore EGS is good. It's also elegant, a promise of things to come.

Again, it’s a work in progress. The store itself is a real pain to use...

The owned library is simply, elegantly presented as a simple alphabetical list of games

Of course, if you want to play certain exclusives like The Outer Worlds or Borderlands 3 at launch, you’ll need to get the launcher regardless of whether you want it or not.

It’ll almost certainly improve, though.’

/facepalm

Bonus:

Xbox BETA - Number 3

- Is a re-skinned windows store, more or less.

It’s heads and shoulders above the Microsoft Store, obviously, which by the way is still a going concern if you fetishise lousy software.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
They go to great lengths to make excuses for EGS. Work in progress my arse, it’s working exactly as Epic wants it to. Their unsustainably low cut ensures its lack of features.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Before they silently delay these for the third time, these are all the things that are targeted for a july release on the EGS:

• Cloud Saves
  • Storepage videos
  • Storepage redesign
  • Play time tracking
  • Humble Bundle Integration
+
  • Improvements to offline mode
  • Improved patch size
I'm betting no mroe than one of the five features will ship.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
We need to understand that there is a purpose behind all of these bait articles of this aforementioned medium.
And we often bite.

Let's purge from our memory them and any other gaming medium that does not trouble themselves educating about the issue.

Ignore them.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
So Tim and his team are just buying up popular games without knowing anything about them at this point right?
He might have thought Shenmue was a Dreamcast game until he bought 'sclusivity to 3.
Of course he could just be stupid. I'm leaning towards the latter

Reactions: Rogue Agent

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
This is why I’m inclined to believe that it’s him on that Reddit account. He is 100% trawling the internet with his stupidity in a way that an actually community manager would never do.
It depends on the Reddit posts. The one I quoted was typically a support message. There was nothing similar to the tweets.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Why are features separate from wages? Is Epic just buying turning products and lumping them into the store code? Shouldn't that just be part of wages?

Edit
Oh. It got me. Well maybe that is how he budgets things anyway :B and EGS is just going to be the front end on top of a lot of licenced turnkey apps

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
Wait... should I be buying Shenmue on Steam before Sweeny snatches it up?

Fuck you, Tim.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
I´m on a friendly debate with Tim Sweeney on Twitter, and he is blaming everything on Valve for some reason.

Reactions: Ex-User (307)

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Does Steam prevent crossplay in some way or is he just throwing a name out there without any particular backing?
The latter per usual. Activision used Windows Stores and Steam's built in servers instead of making their own crossplatform ones because it was cheaper and easier. But Tim continues to show his ass on topics he knows nothing about.

Steam's new Online API is fully crossplay and compatible with other storefronts if developers want to. This was a big selling point in their GDC conference.