News Epic Games Store

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
PCGamer with the sub-tweet of the century:

(yes, that's about Casey's article)
That's the same guy blaming Valve for EGS sniffing in Steam's files ("Valve didn't protect the files enough")

Another pc gamer editor mentioned Sweeneys latest Tweet tho:

"Epic CEO Tim Sweeney congratulated GOG in a tweet, adding that it proved the multi-store future had arrived and that GOG Galaxy will unite the PC gaming community instead of fracturing it. Whatever your feelings are about the Epic Games Store, it's an unusual way to frame the news. GOG has been around for over a decade, and while Steam has dominated that entire period it's had to share customers with a multitude of stores and platforms. The Epic Games Store has also been accused of fragmenting PC gaming, which people in the tweet's replies were quick to point out."

At least it's a start ☺

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Sweeney is the human embodiment of Gish galloping

Yes he is. I'd never heard of it, but it seems PCGamer and Sweeney are both trying to use this to the utmost effect, since they have a pedestal and punch down at us when we call them on it

This sounds plausible.
I'd love to see some sales data of purchases through EGS before, during and after the Steam summer sale. I imagine it's a steep drop from an already precariously low starting point

Last edited:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
He's embarrassing himself over and over again. "Steam is a monopoly" "Steam is DRM" etc. What a dork. I've blocked him.
The only way to do this. Block and don’t engage. Epic is clearly (indirectly through ads and sponsorship) putting food on his table so he’s gonna stan for them until he’s blue in the face.

Just ignore and move on.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
A single company having its finger in so many pies is indeed worrisome, whether it's Disney, Tencent, or megacorps like Nestle and Mondelez. I don't think there's much to argue about on that front. In any case, it's when people include a nationality clause in their concerns that it raises eyebrows.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
The only way to do this. Block and don’t engage. Epic is clearly (indirectly through ads and sponsorship) putting food on his table so he’s gonna stan for them until he’s blue in the face.

Just ignore and move on.
To some extent, this is true - there's clearly no point in debating with him as he seems to have no interest in facts here. However, in this information age, it is super important for people to speak out against misinformation, not just ignore it themselves. Extremists have shown how effective junk news / Tweets / whatever can be and unfortunately it's not enough to really just be reasonable anymore, people have to try and help other people not fall prey to it.

A single company having its finger in so many pies is indeed worrisome, whether it's Disney, Tencent, or megacorps like Nestle and Mondelez. I don't think there's much to argue about on that front. In any case, it's when people include a nationality clause in their concerns that it raises eyebrows.
I don't understand how Nestle has anything like a positive image. They've been the most overtly evil megacorp for decades and have done nothing to actually change, as far as the evidence shows. Stealing water from towns and villages, slave labor, think of a villainous trait and they've probably done it or are still doing it. It's not even that hard to boycott them, I've been accidentally doing it for years :p

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I don't understand how Nestle has anything like a positive image. They've been the most overtly evil megacorp for decades and have done nothing to actually change, as far as the evidence shows. Stealing water from towns and villages, slave labor, think of a villainous trait and they've probably done it or are still doing it. It's not even that hard to boycott them, I've been accidentally doing it for years :p
Don't they own the patent on air? Unless you're undead, you seem to be infringing on that patent, and will probably have soon a visit from one of their lawyers.

Reactions: ISee

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
What happened with Sampson? Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask, it's just the first time I see someone banned from here and it has me wondering.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
What happened with Sampson? Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask, it's just the first time I see someone banned from here and it has me wondering.
There's nothing in the ban notifications subforum, so I assume it's a self-requested ban.
yeah, he deactivated his account .... and also he seems to have deleted all his posts from the last 10 days for some reason

dunno why :(

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
That sucks, hopefully hes doing alright.
yeah, it does ... i have no idea what happened

maybe he'll be back one day (although i doubt it - he seems to have deleted A LOT of posts ... pretty much every single one in this thread ... and in the X games per year thread)

Reactions: ISee and Arsene

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
People who made this fucking game possible should be getting every bonus, every little bit of DLC under the sun. The absolute fucking gall to tell the most hardcore fans that, despite pitching up money four years ago when the game a figment of someone's imagination (like Epic's shopping cart), that they would be treated with such disdain this close to release is staggering. And this, in addition to the fact that they haven't and wont fulfill all stretch goals or even promises made on pledge tiers such as playing Shenmue III "first".

What an insult. What a spit in the face. What an absolute "fuck you" to every hardcore Shenmue fan.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Well if that stuff wasn't announced during the campaign then they technically didn't pledge for it and you'll see this retold over and over I'm sure. But it's certainly bullshit and shows they basically couldn't care less about the people who made the game happen any more. I want to believe Yu just doesn't understand any of these concepts and lets others handle that. But hopefully he gets the basic gist of it (dude, we made the game happen, give us what new buyers get as a bonus, at least from the backer tiers that cost a similar amount and upwards) and rectifies it.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I haven't seen such a determined burning of good will towards your franchise fans than this Shenmue 3 debacle. It should be a textbook example of how to alienate most of the people who supported you through lean times and helped get the game made. I can't think of any mis-steps they haven't taken.

At least you can see behind the curtains now and it's just an outstretched hand grasping for your wallet.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Wanna make a bet that they screwed backers out of the preorder bonuses hoping that those who refund will turn around and preorder for the bonus anyway?
at this point - i wouldn't even be surprised if that turned out to be the case

Reactions: m_dorian

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Why would a preorder bonus cause those pissed off enough to ask for a refund to buy it? I guess nothing's impossible but it'd be a stupid thing to try. Those pissed off with the current shenanigans are likely only to get even more pissed off/reassured of their refund with this move (maybe increase in number too).

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
Why would a preorder bonus cause those pissed off enough to ask for a refund to buy it? I guess nothing's impossible but it'd be a stupid thing to try. Those pissed off with the current shenanigans are likely only to get even more pissed off/reassured of their refund with this move (maybe increase in number too).
They view us like cattle. I would not put it past them to do something like this to tempt us to change our minds. Publishers have done far dumber things in the past expecting consumers to fall for it.

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
They view us like cattle. I would not put it past them to do something like this to tempt us to change our minds. Publishers have done far dumber things in the past expecting consumers to fall for it.
Lmao at this point everyone involved has proven to be e certified grade a asshole, yu included. There is no doubt anymore. Fuck them all.

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
Lmao at this point everyone involved has proven to be e certified grade a asshole, yu included. There is no doubt anymore. Fuck them all.
ikr? Although, the more likely situation is that they expect those who already backed (and aren't refunding) to pre-order the game yet again to secure said bonuses. I mean, it's not like publishers/corporations take advantage of super fans all the time, right?!?

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Yeah, i don't think Swim Teeney is behind this. It's just a petty move from Deep Silver to reward their loyal fans, oh wait.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
There's nothing in the ban notifications subforum, so I assume it's a self-requested ban.
That sucks, hopefully hes doing alright.
I hope everything is alright.
Sampson, if you're reading this: come back.
Sampson, if Tim money-hatted you, blink twice.
Perhaps he works at Epic now? 🤔

Edit: beaten
I really hope he's okay as well. This seems abnormal.
got a message from him if anyone's interested:

Sampson said:
Yes, I am fine, I simply want to cut down on some of my time spent on the internet, including this and other forums.
(and by "cut down" i believe he means completely nuking his account ... sadly 😢 )

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I still think that Tim's tweeting anything that comes to his mind in order to get some kind of answer from Gabe or even from CDPR / GOG people now. Can't deny that EGS sales probably aren't looking great right now though. Their most recent releases is what, The Sinking City? Maybe Satisfactory is getting some sales since it apparently got a major update recently but yeah, August shouldn't be much better either.
EGS stopped becoming a threat to PC gaming IMMEDIATELY after Microsoft launched Game Pass.

We'll see the numbers when Outer Worlds launches. Will be the best $5/$10 I ever spent.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Imagine paying 1 fucking thousand dollars and still not getting every content in the game. Now imagine saying that you're not entitled to it.

Shit like this is why game companies get away with everything. As long as their team is 'winning', gamers will eat whatever companies throw at them.