|OT| Epic vs Apple/Google - Battle of the Tims

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

I assume this is the most likely outcome. I don't know what kind of power the judge would have to force Apple to make company policy changes, but she might strongly recommend Apple revise its anti-steering rules and its game streaming rules. Apple will probably comply to get regulators off their back.

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah honestly I expect a result that'll give both parties enough wiggle room to claim victory.

Paul

Jan 26, 2019
From the recent Embracer Group report:

During the past financial year, the actual fees paid to platform-holders (console and Steam) for digital sales alone are estimated to be a least 2x the actual costs spent on game development during the past fiscal year. We will continue to challenge these paradigms and pursue opportunities to reduce costs and increase the relative investment into content creation.
I bet the entire industry, sans Apple, Google and Sony, would love to see Sweeney win this, at least in some way.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Closing arguments are today, but otherwise the trial is done and the only thing left is to await the verdict and the years of appeals. Just from watching the Hoeg videos, I think Epic will get a partial win (primarily with steering rules), but they most likely aren't getting what they really wanted. It would be funny if both companies wound up appealing the verdict.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
Closing arguments are today, but otherwise the trial is done and the only thing left is to await the verdict and the years of appeals. Just from watching the Hoeg videos, I think Epic will get a partial win (primarily with steering rules), but they most likely aren't getting what they really wanted. It would be funny if both companies wound up appealing the verdict.
Yeah I'm very curious to see what the final verdict will be. I followed the proceedings pretty closely and it does seem that some sort of ban on Apple anti-steering rules will happen. The most important fact about such a verdict in my opinion won't be how said ban is going to be implemented but that, in order to impose it, the judge necessarily has to rule that Apple does have a monopoly over its own ecosystem. This would be huge since it would mean that owners of walled gardens can't hide behind the "it's all proprietary and we can do what we want" argument anymore.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
So the trial is over, and now to wait for the veredict, so what we learned?

Epic and Sweeney wants:
-to not pay fees inside the app because of impulse buy(fuck them kids);
-a exclusive deal with Apple to benefit only Epic(fuck them devs);
-to Apple to distribute EGS through the App Store without fees;
-To be the supreme overlord of a Oasis(Ready Player One) type world whem AR hits;
-To have control of all the money inside the Oasis;

Apple wants:
-to everything to stay the same;

Am I missing something?