News Factorio Devs: "we would rather you pirate Factorio" than buy on G2A

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019

There was recently some news about G2A, prompted by a tweet by Mike Rose of No More Robots. In a follow up tweet he said: Please, if you’re going to buy a game from G2A, just pirate it instead! Genuinely!.

We have talked about the grey market resellers in some previous Friday Facts (FFF-145 and FFF-171), and our stance is pretty much the same as Mike, we would rather you pirate Factorio.
more at the link.

Reactions: lashman

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
At least piracy is more honest. You pirate a game and you know what you're doing, why you're doing it, and have no scruples about it.

Sites like G2A are taking people who want to pay for their games away from developers who may then have to foot the bill on stolen keys on the premise that they're getting a good deal, and thinking that it's legit.

Fuck G2A.

OP
Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
At least piracy is more honest. You pirate a game and you know what you're doing, why you're doing it, and have no scruples about it.

Sites like G2A are taking people who want to pay for their games away from developers who may then have to foot the bill on stolen keys on the premise that they're getting a good deal, and thinking that it's legit.

Fuck G2A.
AND then do customer support with the people that ultimately cost them money to explain why they're not actually a customer and just lost their game

JMTHEFOX

Planning to Be a Game Designer
Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Never bought anything from G2A after signing up for their goldmine service, and after I closed my account there, I am glad that I never did.

I rather pirate games instead.

Reactions: MJunioR

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
This is a somewhat older blog-post, and IMO the more interesting part the fact that they attempted to have G2A reimburse them for fraudulent charge-backs (times ten!), like G2A promised they'd do. However, looking at the subsequent blog-posts, it doesn't seem like there has been any news on that front.

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
I didn't know it was that bad. I'm not sure if ive ever shopped there. Maybe?

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Unrelated, but the Factorio people get it -- they've said it will never go on sale, because they believe it's worth what it's priced at. Such a refreshing and respectful way to engage with your customers. It was a nice feeling buying it and knowing I'd never see it go on deeper and deeper discounts while I maybe hadn't even gotten around to even playing it. And yeah, it is indeed worth every penny.

Reactions: FunnyJay

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Wow, dev straight up saying "We'd rather you pirate our game than buy keys from a grey market."

Ok, with your permission.

Unrelated, but the Factorio people get it -- they've said it will never go on sale, because they believe it's worth what it's priced at. Such a refreshing and respectful way to engage with your customers. It was a nice feeling buying it and knowing I'd never see it go on deeper and deeper discounts while I maybe hadn't even gotten around to even playing it. And yeah, it is indeed worth every penny.
I've tried Factorio and it's too Galaxy Brain for me. I like set pieces and scripted events. "Here is a goal; go figure it out!" is not my idea of a good time. I like rails on my ride.

We have been asked a few times when stable will be released, but my question is, why does it matter exactly which version we call stable? Are you waiting for stable to play a new playthrough?
Yes. I want to see if the campaign isn't so open-ended that it takes me 10 hours to finish one map like the first one.