Community Fighting Game Thread

Deleted member 113

Is anyone familiar with Punch Planet?
Is it any good (or, is it shaping to be any good)?

I like the visual style. :)

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Needs help.
Steam is having an EVO sale. Except for DBFZ which is not available in my region(😭), which fighting games should I consider picking if I don't have people to play with/have good single player content?

Deleted member 113

Needs help.
Steam is having an EVO sale. Except for DBFZ which is not available in my region(😭), which fighting games should I consider picking if I don't have people to play with/have good single player content?
SOULCALIBUR VI has several single-player story modes, that should take you a while.

OP
uraizen

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
Needs help.
Single player? Mortal Kombat 11.

Just not at the price on Steam.

Reactions: Phoenix RISING

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
In Tekken7 there is a story mode (it's quite short tbh), the usual arcade and survival modes where you can rank up playing against the ghosts of other players. I find it's a solid fighter so maybe it's your cup of tea :D

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I watched bits and pieces but got hooked on the SFV Finals and the Tekken 7 bouts last night.
Was the Samurai Shodown Final on Saturday? I remember reading that lots of people in Chat don't play or like a game but were hooked watching the Finals and i'm sure it was SamSho.

edit: Maybe not... hmmm. There was a game that surprised loads of people by how good the rounds were when they were expecting meh and i can't remember it. Dammit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 113

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
It seems that my right hand and wrist are beginning to fall apart. Switched to playing on pad a few years ago so my partner doesn't have to listen to clacking and buttons all the time.

But it's just not going to work. if I want to keep playing fighting games, I'm going to have to go back to stick once this heals up.

Deleted member 113

It seems that my right hand and wrist are beginning to fall apart. Switched to playing on pad a few years ago so my partner doesn't have to listen to clacking and buttons all the time.

But it's just not going to work. if I want to keep playing fighting games, I'm going to have to go back to stick once this heals up.
Sorry to hear this. :cry:

Get well soon. :cat-heart-blob:
Maybe you should stick to mouse only (non-fighting) games for a while, and heal that, otherwise it may get worse.

Reactions: Crayon

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
Sorry to hear this. :cry:

Get well soon. :cat-heart-blob:
Maybe you should stick to mouse only (non-fighting) games for a while, and heal that, otherwise it may get worse.
I've been trying to. I've got battletech mapped up so I can mostly use my left hand. Thanks for the wishes. I just played Panzer Dragoon 2, tho. That was stupid. I didn't flare it up since it's like a 2 hour game but I should lay off all that. And probably for quite awhile since this sort of thing can take a long time to heal.

OP
uraizen

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
So... two fighters with a summer release date. One from squeenix and one from nway. I expected million arthur to be the one to come out the last day of summer and power rangers to come first. Million arthur came out one day before summer (EST timezone) and power rangers comes out two days before summer ends. WELL THEN!

If you want the pre-order exclusives, you should pre-order from their site. When console users found out that was the only way to get the exclusives skins and stuff they were pissed.

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
Just this vid showcasing some BnBs.

That's a pretty sick video but doesn't help me much. I'd like to thoroughly understand the mechanics more.

Like I understand that there's a big focus on combos in KoF, just like Tekken, but KoF moreso has "moves" like half circle LP. etc. I understand the rolls play an interesting dynamic and I sorta utilize that to my benefit and roll/dodge the same way I do in Smash Bros. I wish KoF had a more invested tutorial or something which would really teach me the ins and outs of the franchise's stylings.

I don't even fully understand what the special meter does either. Seems like a rudimentary part of the game. Like playing NBA Jam without realizing there's a turbo button or something.

Love KoF just like I love Tekken, but I always feel as though I'm playing both games "wrong". Like why do certain moves chain together well? How the hell do people figure this stuff out?

Reactions: Crayon
OP
uraizen

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
That's a pretty sick video but doesn't help me much. I'd like to thoroughly understand the mechanics more.

Like I understand that there's a big focus on combos in KoF, just like Tekken, but KoF moreso has "moves" like half circle LP. etc. I understand the rolls play an interesting dynamic and I sorta utilize that to my benefit and roll/dodge the same way I do in Smash Bros. I wish KoF had a more invested tutorial or something which would really teach me the ins and outs of the franchise's stylings.

I don't even fully understand what the special meter does either. Seems like a rudimentary part of the game. Like playing NBA Jam without realizing there's a turbo button or something.

Love KoF just like I love Tekken, but I always feel as though I'm playing both games "wrong". Like why do certain moves chain together well? How the hell do people figure this stuff out?
I didn't feel like I was qualified to give an answer since I only understand a bit. I know what the mechanics are and a few nuances. The special meter in 2002UM is used for things like max cancels. You can cancel a special into another special using it. It's also possible to use max cancel to extend combos or get more powerful supers that would normally cost more bar.

There's things like rapid fire lights that allow you to cancel into special or super. Maybe this is more what you were looking for?

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I went 0-2.

Two tournaments in a row.

Two things: I usually play Tekken on PC. Tekken runs slower on PS4 depending on the output (monitor).

The other thing is, my locals are super high skill. Higher than average. These guys travel to Evo and stuff, so it might be awhile before I win anything.

Locals ends up being a $50 night for me. $10 for venue $10 for tournament, $5 for parking and $35 to drown my sorrows and shame.

Deleted member 113

I went 0-2.

Two tournaments in a row.

Two things: I usually play Tekken on PC. Tekken runs slower on PS4 depending on the output (monitor).

The other thing is, my locals are super high skill. Higher than average. These guys travel to Evo and stuff, so it might be awhile before I win anything.

Locals ends up being a $50 night for me. $10 for venue $10 for tournament, $5 for parking and $35 to drown my sorrows and shame.
That's the thing with tournaments.
There are people dropping some serious time into these games, so you can't expect to show up, and win right away.
Unless you are paired with someone who is equally inexperienced, it's very likely that you will lose.

But, I'm sure next time, it will turn out better. ;)
You will be better prepared.

Personally, I don't have any illusion of participating in any future tournament. A long time ago I did, I had fun, won some, lost some.
But now, I simply don't have the drive any more to be competitive, and train, or even spend a big amount of time in a single game.
Despite buying a lot of fighting games, I'm sure any fellow Meta members would wipe the floor with me in any fighting game. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I would love, though, to be able to regularly play physical pinball tables, and to participate in a tournament or two.
Sadly, I don't have arcades around any more. :(

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Lemme help make your monday more productive~

Street Fighter Zero/Alpha 3 matches

60+ mins. of Super Street Fighter II Turbo

2+ Hours of Street Fighter III 3S matches

60 mins. of Vampire Hunter

90+ mins. of King of Fighters 02 UM

2+ Hours of Puyo Puyo 2

60+ mins. of BlazBlue CF

Garou MotW matches

2+ Hours of Melty Blood

OP
uraizen

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
Tekken 7 just took a BLOPS on Steam and Season 3's update with Zafina is out. I see they buffed Claudio's hop kick, maybe I should start playing again. I took playing footsies a little too literally.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
:sf_lovb:

3+ Hours of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Vampire Hunter/Darkstalkers' Revenge matches

1 Hour of Street Fighter III 3S

Street Fighter Zero/Alpha 3 matches

90+ mins. of Ultra Street Fighter IV

60+ mins. of Super Street Fighter II Turbo

60+ mins. of King of Fighters 02 UM

An extra 2+ Hours of Street Fighter III 3S

2+ Hours of Garou MotW

BONUS
Paca Paca Passion

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Max discovers Real Bout 2, aka the GOAT SNK fighting game-

Alas it appears I deleted my ye olde Shroyuke.com CFJ Leo thread that I saved on one of my old HDDs XP I kinda hoped to share a bit of FGC history :S

Here's 4 Hours of Capcom Fighting Jam matches as compensation :3

2+ Hours of Street Fighter III 3S

2+ Hours of King of Fighters '98

2+ Hours of Super Street Fighter II Turbo

3 Hours of Capcom vs. SNK 2

60+ mins. of King of Fighters 02 UM

Some more Paca Paca Passion Special

3 Hours of Melty Blood

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
2 weeks til SF5 news @o@

10+ Hours of Vampire Savior

2 Hours of Street Fighter III 2I

Rival Schools 2 matches

2 Hours of Capcom vs. SNK 2

2 Hours of Fighters History Dynamite

Fatal Fury 2 Special matches

6 Hours of Virtua Fighter 3

Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 matches

2 Hours of Puyo Puyo

Quiz KoF gameplay

3+ Hours of Melty Blood

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Played Tekken for the first time ever. No tutorial. Nearly dropped it on sight.
After 1-2 hours in the training mode getting used to the speed at which one should input buttons press, barely remembering two (!) moves, this hole is fucking deep. Great potential.
About the speed of execution, maybe I'm imagining things because I'm a noob in the genre, but it felt interesting. Very button mashy in the fact tat you have to execute things real quick, but evidently not button mashy if you want to strategize.

As an aside, can a fucking fighter implement an option in training where the game confirm me I put out a move ? Like by, my god what a difficult task, naming them when I get it right ? I swear every fucking fighter I try have every option under the sun in training, except for this basic shit.

OP
uraizen

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
Played Tekken for the first time ever. No tutorial. Nearly dropped it on sight.
After 1-2 hours in the training mode getting used to the speed at which one should input buttons press, barely remembering two (!) moves, this hole is fucking deep. Great potential.
About the speed of execution, maybe I'm imagining things because I'm a noob in the genre, but it felt interesting. Very button mashy in the fact tat you have to execute things real quick, but evidently not button mashy if you want to strategize.

As an aside, can a fucking fighter implement an option in training where the game confirm me I put out a move ? Like by, my god what a difficult task, naming them when I get it right ? I swear every fucking fighter I try have every option under the sun in training, except for this basic shit.
Believe it or not, the story mode is meant to be the tutorial mode. Harada said he made it that way since nobody ever plays the tutorial modes. It's still not great, but it's something. I would wait for the dastardly frame data update. You don't have to buy the frame data, but the game telling you what moves can punish and more basic combos is a godsend. Assuming the basic combos are useful.

Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I may be repeating myself from some months ago, if so I'm sorry, but what's a solid arcade stick with reasonable price for a beginner ?

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Randomly saw that Razer's Panthera (MCVI version) is on sale for half off, 121€, that's a really tempting price...
Debating if I should get one to use on PC, but I've never tried a fighting stick before...

arcadepc

Jan 3, 2020
BBCF is $10 y'all have NO EXCUSE

Edit: wait a minute you put XX+R in the op over UNIST?
I remember the gfwl version of bbct 10 years ago playing against Xbox360 players, one even was from Brazil. Met one Italian who was using the only grappler in tge game and introduced me to GGPO pc. He also was a good garou player. Too bad they removed netplay from the re-releases

OP
uraizen

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
If anyone wants to beta test a new fighting game, you can request a key following the below instructions:

It uses rollback netcode; worth giving it a shot at least. It also has crossplay with mobile(?).

EDIT: Ah... F2P where you have to buy the characters and stuff. Get rewards for logging in daily, completing tasks, etc.

Last edited: