|OT| Final Fantasy XIV - Shadowbringers | Patch 5.3 out now!

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Beware, the description for the minion contain spoiler for Shadowbringer. If you haven't got to Shadowbringer don't read it.

SkyStarblaze

Starlit Entity
Aug 20, 2020
Beware, the description for the minion contain spoiler for Shadowbringer. If you haven't got to Shadowbringer don't read it.
It would have been cool if they would have done something meta (pun not intended) with it. If you see the description before finishing it, it would just say: "You feel there is a deeper meaning behind this minion" and then when you finish Shadowbringers it would show the actual description.

Reactions: warp_
OP
warp_

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
today has been alternating between getting a bunch of digital paperwork done at my actual job and cleaning up my inventory across all bags, saddlebag, retainers, and dresser/armoire at my fake ffxiv job. that was a long time coming but well worth it. got spurred on by a video i saw linked, was pretty helpful.

my glamour dresser was the only bit i really couldn't fix. its now gone from extremely full to pretty full.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
It would have been cool if they would have done something meta (pun not intended) with it. If you see the description before finishing it, it would just say: "You feel there is a deeper meaning behind this minion" and then when you finish Shadowbringers it would show the actual description.
They could totally do that since DRK 80 job quest did exactly that.

Then again the spoiler is only on English language, there is no spoiler on JP or FR.

Reactions: Li Kao

SkyStarblaze

Starlit Entity
Aug 20, 2020
They could totally do that since DRK 80 job quest did exactly that.

Then again the spoiler is only on English language, there is no spoiler on JP or FR.
Ah I see interesting, so this is more on the English localization-team I guess.

OP
warp_

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
English localization team seems to have a lot of free reign when it comes to translations. They inject a lot of meme humor into the game as well as some other weird stuff with item descriptions.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
English localization team seems to have a lot of free reign when it comes to translations. They inject a lot of meme humor into the game as well as some other weird stuff with item descriptions.
Oh that's even a thing on the French version at least. Shitty 80's advertisement / throwbacks / meme galore.

• Toucan
OP
warp_

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
ah okay! my understanding is that the jp version plays it pretty straight so i guess i just assumed the other languages did too.

i do like that the jp version names the expansions after colors though, that's kinda cool to me:

The Azure Skies of Ishgard
Liberator of the Crimson Lotus
The Jet Black Villains

the names aren't really spoilers but i marked them anyway just in case lol

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Doesn't seem to be a spoiler in the DE translation as well (at least I read it and don't think I've been spoiled on anything :p )

Played the main story up to Haukke Manor now. Making progress!
I've also got a second Youkai weapon and got enough medals to buy all but 3 Youkai. Got the whisper mount, but it was short lived because I bought myself a Behemoth with achievement certificates :whistle:

Also got 30 triple triad cards so my deck has been massively upgraded (since I can now use 2* cards as a baseline).

• Hug
Reactions: warp_ and Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Still trailing behind, has been a few days since I last played. I'm dreading the fourth drop possibility.
I'm just 1-2 quests max before the Sylph dungeon.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I have to say, when you just focus on the main quests, things go by pretty quickly actually lol. And still I'm overleveled :grimacing-face:
Just got to the Titan primal fight, will probably do it later today or tomorrow.
Plan for now is to only focus on the main quests until I finish the ARR content and get flight and the race change thingy, then probably go back and do some side quests while leveling another class.

Still trailing behind, has been a few days since I last played. I'm dreading the fourth drop possibility.
I'm just 1-2 quests max before the Sylph dungeon.
I also don't play nearly every day. Haven't played for a week before yesterday actually. I don't mind that.
Though I guess it's easy during the trial time, since I don't have to subscribe.
Also do you start from scratch every time you go back? Have you tried just picking up your character and continue on from where you left?

• Sad
OP
warp_

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
and now it is done! all yokai weapons obtained!

the mount is pretty cool too

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
The Titan trial was cool. First time I died in a dungeon, by getting pushed out of the area and falling to death :grimacing-face:
Then someone else got pushed out too and we had to do a second try, lmao. Managed it that time just fine though.

I've also farmed the infantry set from Brayflox's Longflock. Because I needed better amor, but mostly because it looks great :D
(The bandana is from the Manor though).

I've also reached the level 40 MSQ and just started the level 45 ninja quest. At this rate I'll probably "finish" the ARR stuff next weekend.

Reactions: warp_ and Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I have very bad memories from Brayflox boss. Poison, poison everywhere, players running around like headless chicken.
I'm in no rush to repay that.

Oh, and yesterday I was grouped in a 'can't wait' group. The heal was the most rushing. I love those types...
While I can understand their POV, it's not what I'm here for, so as a tank I choose one of my two options : I took my time and they took damages ahead of me. The other option was to get the fuck out but The Thousand Maws isn't very long.
Surprisingly, I didn't get honored :tightly-closed-eyes:

• Toucan
Reactions: Ascheroth

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Brayflox is a test for tank to adjust their tanking position.
Oh, and yesterday I was grouped in a 'can't wait' group. The heal was the most rushing. I love those types...
While I can understand their POV, it's not what I'm here for, so as a tank I choose one of my two options : I took my time and they took damages ahead of me. The other option was to get the fuck out but The Thousand Maws isn't very long.
Ignore them, you are the tank, you set the pace. It's just NA bad habit where every tank is expected to pull wall to wall.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I have very bad memories from Brayflox boss. Poison, poison everywhere, players running around like headless chicken.
I'm in no rush to repay that.

Haha, the poison was never really that much of an issue with the groups I ran. Even the last run where we had a clearly newbie tank who was running the dungeon for the first time who forgot to use his tank stance at the beginning was fine.

The first time I ran the dungeon we almost wiped on the second to last boss (the frog). At one point my health started dropping and turns out the tank and healer died :grimacing-face: Then we killed it and the dragon swept in and the 2nd damage dealer died as well but somehow I managed to finish it on my own :sweaty-blob:

I'll probably level a tank next once I finish the MSQ, I kinda wanna give it a try.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
That was a short-lived set. Since I very shortly afterwards got my ninja set :grimacing-face:
Well except the torso part, so it's a mix.

Doesn't mix too bad though.

Played until Garuda. Man the primal fights continue to be pretty awesome. That OST :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob:
Game also continues to look really good, and things are getting end-gamey 🍿

I'll probably need to look up some Ninja guides though, I got the 3rd mudra and suddenly have a lot of skills 😅

OP
warp_

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
i need to get back to leveling ninja. that and samurai have cool job gear sets

edit: skallic scouting set might be my favorite gearset in the game

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
That looks great indeed.

I am now a level 50 ninja and got my full armor set :partyblob:

MSQ-wise I've just rescued Milfina and gang and Thancred had a top 10 anime betrayal moment
I'll probably "finish" it tomorrow or Wednesday at this rate? And then I think I'll start leveling a Marauder or Warrior to try some tanking and do a bunch of the side quests I blew past.

Just wanna repeat that the value of the free trial is utterly crazy. I'm clocking 60 hours now and there's basically no end in sight :sweaty-blob:

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Hunt trains are a fascinating beast, where else will you see a group of 100+ players go around Norvandt killing everything they see in the span of 15-20 minutes? Just did the Weekly Reset run, and did 4 worlds worth of trains in a row... I have to say, you get some awfully colorful chat going on in /shout when you're with more or less the same 100~ people for an hour!

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I've actually finished the 2.0 storyline yesterday!

The last 3 eight man trial and dungeons were kind of a clusterfuck. I got lost and people were rushing through everything and I had no idea what was going on and what I was supposed to do. Not a great experience. It got better at the end when it was just boss fights.
Also do you seriously have to sit through all the cutscenes every time you run this? Because there are many and they are long. There must have been a smarter way of doing this in a way that you can experience the story properly the first time but don't have to bother with it on reruns.

My overall thoughts on the story and characters for this chunk:

It's honestly very mediocre. The story is pretty straightforward standard JRPG fare and all the characters are pretty bland. I honestly struggle to think of any defining or interesting character traits for any of the prominent side characters.
The amount of voice acting is also disappointingly little.

I still had a good time, but more so because the total package surrounding it is just very high quality, and it has a kind of comfy comfort food JRPG feel to it.

On another note, as I mentioned before I was looking forward to the Fantasia, so I'm now an Au Ra, yay.
Also the armor you can get from that currency you get from the last dungeons looks better than the job set you get :grimacing-face:

Next up I'll likely level a paladin for a bit before continuing on with the main story.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
The last 3 eight man trial and dungeons were kind of a clusterfuck. I got lost and people were rushing through everything and I had no idea what was going on and what I was supposed to do. Not a great experience. It got better at the end when it was just boss fights.
Also do you seriously have to sit through all the cutscenes every time you run this? Because there are many and they are long. There must have been a smarter way of doing this in a way that you can experience the story properly the first time but don't have to bother with it on reruns.
The last two dungeons is a mistake and the dev learn not to make those kind of dungeon ever again. The cutscenes on those two dungeons used to be skippable, but people would just skip the cutscenes and run through the dungeon not waiting for people who runs it for the first time. There are a lot of toxicity there so the devs decided that we can't no longer skip the cutscenes. In return they buffed the rewards for the dungeon.

It's honestly very mediocre. The story is pretty straightforward standard JRPG fare and all the characters are pretty bland. I honestly struggle to think of any defining or interesting character traits for any of the prominent side characters.
The amount of voice acting is also disappointingly little.
Yeah ARR is just mediocre. When you reach Heavensward the story will be a whole lot better.

OP
warp_

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
yep, those dungeons were a lesson for devs. for the expansions afterwards the story cutscene happen after the dungeon is complete so there's no whining about "skip cutscenes noobies. that's what inn is for".

also in case you didn't know you can rewatch cutscenes in your inn room.

Last edited:

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
They really should make those dungeons solo duties, with a trial for ultima weapon.

...then make Crystal Tower its own roulette so folks don't always get it for alliance raid roulette.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Flying makes everything so convenient :02love:

Also my gladiator leveling got sidetracked, because I decided I wanted to take a look at all those level40-50 quests that unlock new stuff. And now I have a bunch of new dungeons to run (or hard modes of old ones) and beast tribe quests to do :sweaty-blob:
And that level 1 riddle quest. That was cool.
And I've just met Hildibrand, lol.

But flying makes everything so convenient <3

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Flying makes everything so convenient :02love:

Also my gladiator leveling got sidetracked, because I decided I wanted to take a look at all those level40-50 quests that unlock new stuff. And now I have a bunch of new dungeons to run (or hard modes of old ones) and beast tribe quests to do :sweaty-blob:
And that level 1 riddle quest. That was cool.
And I've just met Hildibrand, lol.

But flying makes everything so convenient <3
It does, but don't you need to do some busy work with the compass to be able to fly on each and every eligible map?

After the first 2 maps in Heavensward, I never bothered to unlock it anymore. What a bad design.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
It does, but don't you need to do some busy work with the compass to be able to fly on each and every eligible map?

After the first 2 maps in Heavensward, I never bothered to unlock it anymore. What a bad design.
I'm not in Heavensward yet. After clearing the level 50 MSQ you can fly in all the A Realm Reborn maps.

OP
warp_

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
in hw/sb you just need to find a some aether currents to be able to fly in that zone. not really a big deal and encourages exploring the map, which is something i always like to see in an mmo/open world game.

hildibrand rocks, very fun questlines that continue throughout the game and take time to kinda make fun of the story/theme of the expansion too.

when it comes to the post-arr optional raids/dungeons i wouldn't actually bother with those right now, personally. or at least not the at the expense of starting heavensward. a lot of those can be run at later stages solo once you are leveled enough because no one really runs them normally anymore. not sure if you can make the party finder group as a trial account but that's another good way to get them done, cause you can advertise a first timer bonus.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
in hw/sb you just need to find a some aether currents to be able to fly in that zone. not really a big deal and encourages exploring the map, which is something i always like to see in an mmo/open world game.

hildibrand rocks, very fun questlines that continue throughout the game and take time to kinda make fun of the story/theme of the expansion too.

when it comes to the post-arr optional raids/dungeons i wouldn't actually bother with those right now, personally. or at least not the at the expense of starting heavensward. a lot of those can be run at later stages solo once you are leveled enough because no one really runs them normally anymore. not sure if you can make the party finder group as a trial account but that's another good way to get them done, cause you can advertise a first timer bonus.
Good to know, guess I'll skip them for now then. Thanks!

Though I'll likely stay around in ARR for a bit longer before I start moving towards Heavensward.

OP
warp_

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
nothing against those raids of course, it's just they were top end level 50 content with gear mainly only used for glamour purposes now. but like i said, whenever you do want to run them you'll be able to get a pf group together semi-easily or you can just solo them at 70/80

OP
warp_

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
those are required msq now so he'll have to do them to progress

Reactions: Theswweet
OP
warp_

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
was slightly bummed last night cause i had plans to play this weekend and finally catch up on 5.3 msq but decided to ditch games to catch up on other various media, go on some walks, and give my condo a deep clean.

get up and ready to go to work today...and i forgot it's a work holiday that my company actually recognizes (one of like four a year) so i'm gonna stay in the office cave and play today :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I saw that the Yo-Kai event was slated to end with 5.4, do we have a date for that ?

And, stupid question, but I was sure I read that you could do Fates with Yo-Kai + Chocobo, that the medal wouldn't drop. But on the other hand I see a shit ton of people farming Fates with their chocobos, so was I mistaken ?

OP
warp_

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
no date yet, usually it's about 3 months between patches but with covid things are a bit delayed so it could be longer. also you can farm fates with a yokai and a chocobo, guess that was fixed from previous years.

• Love

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
And that's it for the regular Yo-Kai and the second mount.
Now for the four remaining ones, don't tell me their zone is too far from the base game please :face-with-cold-sweat:

OP
warp_

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
the four newest require zones in heavensward and stormblood content so you won't be able to get to them until you've unlocked them in msq

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
For fuck's sake, I don't want to rush things, and learning that half of them is Stormblood has me deeply worried.
How long are the xpac ?

OP
warp_

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
they are decently long but these events rotate and they will return so i wouldn't rush through the story and such just for a seasonal event. just keep playing how you are playing and see where you get imo

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Not to mention, you've got at least a few more months until 5.4. Even taking your time, you'll have more than enough time to get the Yokai stuff this go around.

Reactions: Li Kao and warp_

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
On another topic entirely... do people really pursue disciples of the hand activities ? I mean I don't like their mini games, but for as boring as these classes are, there is some nice brainless grinding to them. But then you reach circa lvl 25 and everything suddenly people interconnected and you need tons of materials gathered / manufactured by other classes.
So if you don't want to pay through the nose by buying from other players, you have to gather like there is no tomorrow ? I mean, you need 3 fucking iron nuggets to make an iron bar. You seriously want me to gather 300 nuggets to have a moderately respectable iron bar stash ?

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate these classes and activities, but it looks like it become a nightmare as level go by, no ? Or am I missing something ?

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
tl;dr crafting and gathering is the only way to earn money.

And as now there is better way to level both of them called Ishgardian Restoration. You need to get into Heavensward first though.

Reactions: Li Kao and warp_
OP
warp_

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
just doing mining for restoration campaign made me almost 20 million gil so now i just buy stuff rather than learn to craft lol. never stepped one foot into crafting but my understanding is that restoration is THE way to powerlevel those jobs.

also this is the streamlined version, everything was much more complicated before.

OP
warp_

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
in very boring news, i made it onto the skybuilder ranking leaderboard for mining this season

but hey, a title is a title. may have stayed up a couple extra hours last night to get it but that's okay :)