Discussion Forgotten Games

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Inspired by a neat thread from another forum. It mainly talks about PC games but let's include all games from every platform here.

Have you ever play a game (retro or new) that has never been mentioned by other people or people don't talk about it anymore? Is there a game that you love so much in the childhood, even before Internet exists? Do you want to talk about them? This is your place.

I remember there was a game I loved so much but couldn't beat it when I was young, and it is called Future Cop: L.A.P.D. (PSX). Basically, you are driving a transformable police mecha and hunting criminals and terrorists who have not only machine guns but also tanks, aircrafts, and even land worms.

I thought of it after visiting the thread above. Looked it up on Google and was surprised by two things: (1) it is actually developed by EA Redwood Shores, which was later know as Visceral Games, the developer of Dead Space and Dante's Inferno. And (2) the game has a Japanese localized release and they edited the appearance of the control operator into Japanese aesthetics. They even put her on the cover to appeal to Japanese gamers lol.

Checked the price of a Japanese copy and it is fairly cheap and easy to find, so I plan to grab a copy and revisit the game after 20 years. Hopefully I can beat it this time!

Now, it's your turn! Do tell us the platforms where the game is available so that people can find and play them! :cat-heart-blob:

Last edited:
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I have fond memories of this game, spent tons of hours back then. I wonder who's the IP owner now (SquareEnix?) and would it be popular enough for a remake.
Checked and saw it on GOG. Yeah, the IP owner is SQEX.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Yes, I have spent a lot of time playing the demo of LAPD on Playstation. I have never had the full game, but would have played a lot more if I had.

That was a time when demos were very meaty. You could unlock a lot of content, sometimes even content from the full game with cheat codes.

Reactions: ISee and Cacher

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader

The mostly forgotten last of Black Isle and the Infinity Engine. Set in an alternate medieval Europe where Richard the Lionheart's massacre of 3000 prisoners in Acre was used as cover for opening the veil of reality to bring demons into this world. You play as one of Richard's descendants trying to right the wrong. Meet such luminaries as Leonardo da Vinci, Joan of Arc and Galileo in and around Barcelona. The game starts amazingly but feels a little rushed towards the end.

Only 6 people with taste :(

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Adding my own contribution.

HERO X

Infogrames was infamous for making low quailty PC games in late 90s/early 00s. Hero X is one of them.
It's a superhero themed Diablo clone. The hit detection is shoddy, the aesthetic is drab and boring, the abilities are broken beyond belief.

As a dumb kid who played anything. I kind of enjoyed it. This game actually made me fell in love with isometric games. Even the music is surprisingly nice at times. The Comic Book "cutscenes" are done nicely.

Only play it if you are into the genre.

Gameplay :

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Yes, I have spent a lot of time playing the demo of LAPD on Playstation. I have never had the full game, but would have played a lot more if I had.

That was a time when demos were very meaty. You could unlock a lot of content, sometimes even content from the full game with cheat codes.
I watched the demo playthrough on youtube. People were commenting that the demo is totally different from the main game but I honestly couldn't tell lol. I do remember the boss of the first level in the main game is Griffin Observatory and it is also present in the demo.

Deleted member 113

I always had a soft spot for Mad TV. The game, a "light" strategy game were you run a TV channel, in the hopes of making money, and marrying a girl that works in the building, was popular is countries like Germany, but sadly most younger gamers are pretty much unaware of it. The game is a lot of fun!

A few years ago someone released a "spiritual successor" on Steam, but while fun, it was lacking much of the charm of Mad TV.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Awesome thread, thanks Jim_Cacher :).

For me two come to mind, one that never released and one that not many people seemed to have enjoyed.

That one was a huge part of my childhood. It had the compelling world, the hero's journey and then a rather unique twist to it. It had companions and the magic sword that I couldn't get from Secret of Mana because we only had a Genesis. And the soundtrack was the catchiest, bestthing ever. Some pieces really were a little ominous for little me.

The other one was Strident : The Shadow Front. This game came along after I'd just finished reading Gunnm and obsessing over Ghost in the Shell. You can imagine the appeal when this appeared :

This was about a post-apocalyptic world in which the female player character belonged to a unit called FIST and her being involved in a conspiracy. Lone wolf, cyberpunk stuff filled to the brim with that acrobatic, gunnm-like melee combat. The kicker was that it seemed to look like this :

I was absolutely shocked. Bear in mind, those shadow maps, character detail and object densities were demonstrated in 2002. Clearly, they were fibbing to a large extent if not completely but I remembered the aesthetic for a long time. And hey, the character design is still pretty cool.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I'd heard of "Crusader of Centy" years and years ago but never seen a copy in the wild or knew anyone who played it.
RPG Limit Break have featured it a couple of times in different RPG Speedrun marathons.

Actually, if you have an old RPG that you love it's probably been ran at RPG Limit Break at some point. Think GDQ but for RPGs and some of their "quick" runs are 8 hours+ as they will run long games quite often.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I'd heard of "Crusader of Centy" years and years ago but never seen a copy in the wild or knew anyone who played it.
RPG Limit Break have featured it a couple of times in different RPG Speedrun marathons.

Actually, if you have an old RPG that you love it's probably been ran at RPG Limit Break at some point. Think GDQ but for RPGs and some of their "quick" runs are 8 hours+ as they will run long games quite often.
Holy crap, I've only watched a bit and seeing that game being broken like that is hugely weird and entertaining. Thanks :).

I had no idea this channel was a thing, and given how much I love GDQ this is a boon.

And yeah, I played it as a kid and it was really a good game, at least to my young eyes. Lots of subversion and going against fantasy expectations in there in ways that worked for a young child. It's probably not a game of Zelda or Mana's caliber seen objectively but it is for me :).

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Future Cop: L.A.P.D. (PSX).
Had this on PC CD. It might even still be in some drawer somewhere.

I remember the demo compared to the full game even changed the voice and characterization of the first level villain.

From a blaxploitation-like voice to a British voice. Really weird to see.

Reactions: ISee and Cacher

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Future Cop LAPD was my jam as a kid.
We could never get far in it, but it was a blast to play :p
Ya ask me...that's for the best :p

The mostly forgotten last of Black Isle and the Infinity Engine. Set in an alternate medieval Europe where Richard the Lionheart's massacre of 3000 prisoners in Acre was used as cover for opening the veil of reality to bring demons into this world. You play as one of Richard's descendants trying to right the wrong. Meet such luminaries as Leonardo da Vinci, Joan of Arc and Galileo in and around Barcelona. The game starts amazingly but feels a little rushed towards the end.

I own it on GOG :drinking-blob:

Ya ask me...that's for the best :p

I own it on GOG :drinking-blob:
I have fond memories of this game, spent tons of hours back then. I wonder who's the IP owner now (SquareEnix?) and would it be popular enough for a remake.
Either YT is drunk or I am typing the game title wrong XP

I own this on GOG myself @3@

Last edited:

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
one game i rented many times as a kid for nes and then forgot about for years after was "the immortal". i'd spent years trying to figure it out and found nothing until a few years ago. probably didn't help that it was more known as a pc game than an nes game.

and just a month or two ago it was added to the switch virtual console so it's worth checking out if you have access to that. damn hard game for me as an 8 or 9 year old kid lol.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018

I somehow opened the dev menu thing on the demo version long ago when I was messing with the cheats, and I was so surprised that I could place any NPC, gold or enemies in the level.
I spawned a scorpion in the inn, lol

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Nice thread!

One game that I played a lot when I was a kid and never saw much or any talking about it was Stargate for the Mega Drive:

It's based on the movie and I remember going to a store to buy a game with my mother and I saw the Stargate's cartridge. As I had recently watched the movie I choosed it and the game blew my mind back then, one of the things that really caught my attention was the movements for the main character, you could aim your weapon, walk while crouching, run, grab on ledges and ropes and so on. It was also one of the first games I was interested in the story so I had an old English dictionary by my side every time I played it.

Now during the Dreamcast era there were some interesting games that I played and I didn't saw anyone talking about it.

Fur Fighters

It was a TPS were you played as animals rescuing their puppies.

Blue Stinger

It kind was a Resident Evil clone, though the version released outside of Japan changed the camera so instead of a fixed camera like the old RE titles it was fixed in the character.

Awesome thread, thanks @Jim_Cacher :).

For me two come to mind, one that never released and one that not many people seemed to have enjoyed.

That one was a huge part of my childhood. It had the compelling world, the hero's journey and then a rather unique twist to it. It had companions and the magic sword that I couldn't get from Secret of Mana because we only had a Genesis. And the soundtrack was the catchiest, bestthing ever. Some pieces really were a little ominous for little me.
I remember this game! My first contact with it was when we bought an used PC and it came with a Mega Drive emulator with lots of roms and Crusader of Centy was one of them.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
since I don't just want repeat myself from the other forum:

Lionshead's movie stuido tycoon game where you not only set up the studio lot, but also make the films.
It, like most Lionhead games of the time was high on aspiration, low on information, as there was way more than the tutorials ever properly cover (see also Black and White). Still fun if you stick with it.

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Lionshead's movie stuido tycoon game uhgz93t7zubnb4where you not only set up the studio lot, but also make the films.
It, like most Lionhead games of the time was high on aspiration, low on information, as there was way more than the tutorials ever properly cover (see also Black and White). Still fun if you stick with it.
... and you can still grab the demo from steam:

steam://install/7920 <-- use this link

... and it still works just fine, even on win10

now put it back up on steam, MS ... for fuck's sake!!! :disapproval-blob:

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
since I don't just want repeat myself from the other forum:

Lionshead's movie stuido tycoon game uhgz93t7zubnb4where you not only set up the studio lot, but also make the films.
... and you can still grab the demo from steam:

steam://install/7920 <-- use this link

... and it still works just fine, even on win10

now put it back up on steam, MS ... for fuck's sake!!! :disapproval-blob:
I remember reading this game on a gaming magazine and was fascinated by its potential. Downloading the demo now. Thanks for reminding me this game!

MS, please also put Black and White on steam as well!

Reactions: lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I have my original CDs for The Movies around here somewhere. It was a great timesink running the studio and making films. I spent ages watching the films people uploaded to the servers, some were pretty good and way better than my dreadful attempts. I wonder if any of the archived film servers people put up when it shut down have survived?
A remake would be amazing with all the advances in tech and the internet/social media since then but you can also see the cash-cow potential of a million DLC/MTX packages for all the elements of the film sets.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I have my original CDs for The Movies around here somewhere. It was a great timesink running the studio and making films. I spent ages watching the films people uploaded to the servers, some were pretty good and way better than my dreadful attempts. I wonder if any of the archived film servers people put up when it shut down have survived?
A remake would be amazing with all the advances in tech and the internet/social media since then but you can also see the cash-cow potential of a million DLC/MTX packages for all the elements of the film sets.
Now I hope that Phil Spencer is lurking MC:astonished-face:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Honestly, I was thinking that when i read lashman's post. hah. Great minds think alike!
I do think about The Movies every so often and how they could keep the game elements intact but give it some polish and QOL for today's audience. You could have film festivals and film jams with friends, premiere your latest blockbuster to your friendlist and they could have allowed you to stream out to your MIXR (RIP) followers. There's tons a decent dev and publisher could do with it especially over the last few months of people stuck indoors.

It could have been a contender... or maybe that's just wishful thinking and nostalgia.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Honestly, I was thinking that when i read lashman's post. hah. Great minds think alike!
I do think about The Movies every so often and how they could keep the game elements intact but give it some polish and QOL for today's audience. You could have film festivals and film jams with friends, premiere your latest blockbuster to your friendlist and they could have allowed you to stream out to your MIXR (RIP) followers. There's tons a decent dev and publisher could do with it especially over the last few months of people stuck indoors.

It could have been a contender... or maybe that's just wishful thinking and nostalgia.
i mean, when you think about it, it could basically be microsoft's The Sims ... with billions of DLC packs (including stuff from current movies ... imagine The Movies with a Star Wars DLC pack!) ... and people would ABSOLUTELY buy those ...

FeedMeAStrayCat

When you see me again, it won't be me.
Sep 19, 2018
Pennsylvania
I'm trying to think of games I played as a kid/teen that I haven't really heard anything about since... struggling to come up with many, but my memory is pretty rough.

Street Hockey '95 for SNES
Played it a lot with a childhood neighbor and good friend. Still have a bunch of the phrases and character names stuck in my memory.

Troy Aikman Football for SNES
Same as above.

Mr. Chin's Gourmet Paradise for Game Boy
I really remember nothing about this game except some foggy memories of playing it on road trips.

Dirt Trax FX for SNES
Visually impressive for the time, thanks to the FX chip. Ran a bit smoother than Stunt Race FX, thank goodness.

I want to do another post later about games that I have heard discussed, but are still mostly forgotten to the sands of time

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019

Neuromancer - Commodore 64 (Adventure)

Based on the book with the same title by William Gibson.
Fifty percent adventure, fifty percent hacking (combat) in a 3D representation of the Net. Dark, unforgiving, dystopian.
My first "Cyberpunk" game

Imagine loading the game up in the late 1980s, early 1990s and hearing a digitized sample of a real song: Some Things Never Change by Devo

(HEADSET WARNING!)

Last edited:

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

Neuromancer - Commodore 64 (Adventure)

Based on the book with the same title by William Gibson.
Fifty percent adventure, fifty percent hacking (combat) in a 3D representation of the Net. Dark, unforgiving, dystopian.
My first "Cyberpunk" game

Imagine loading the game up in the late 1980s, early 1990s and hearing a digitized sample of a real song: Some Things Never Change by Devo

(HEADSET WARNING!)

I had no idea there was a Neuromancer game!

FunnyJay