Discussion Forgotten Games

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Next game!

Utopia: The Creation of a Nation

A DOS city builder on foreign planets in the future, where you have to keep the population happy, while you slowly expand your city on the planet, while performing espionage on the aliens that live just outside the map.
The game also has a military element where you construct tanks and spaceships and send them off the map to attack the alien city.

If your populace dislikes what you do, you might even end up assassinated!

Something about this game really resonated with me back in the 90's. It probably doesn't hold up as well today, but who knows?

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
That reminds me, as is often the case when looking at old city builders, that I didn’t play Afterlife by Lucasarts.
Was it good ?

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Next game!

Utopia: The Creation of a Nation

A DOS city builder on foreign planets in the future, where you have to keep the population happy, while you slowly expand your city on the planet, while performing espionage on the aliens that live just outside the map.
The game also has a military element where you construct tanks and spaceships and send them off the map to attack the alien city.

If your populace dislikes what you do, you might even end up assassinated!

Something about this game really resonated with me back in the 90's. It probably doesn't hold up as well today, but who knows?

This sounds like a really cool game young me would have been all over :).

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
I have only ever played the demo of the next one, but it was a really funny demo that I got from the PC Gamer disc back in the day.

Robosaurus vs the Space Bastards (aka Space Bastards: Sudden Justice)

It's a push-block puzzle game, where you control a robot, based on (and named after) classic action movie stars.
In the demo, you had access to two of the robots:

Eastwood has a cowboy hat and a revolver.
Van Damme has a beret and likes to do the splits.

You choose your robot and start a level, where your mission is to save innocent aliens and kill the aforementioned Space Bastards. You do this buy pushing blocks, riding elevators and navigating around the different screens.

The game itself was so-so, but the humor was on point. The voices all try to sound as the real life action movie stars.

Now, to the best part. Let me get to the reason why this game has stuck in my memory all these years.

You know when you exit a demo, and you get shown a screen that encourages you to buy the full game? This demo had one of those, and it must be the funniest one I've ever seen.

Let me try to tell you what happens in it, paraphrasing of course:

So, you exit the demo, and a scene from the game is shown.

An innocent (ugly) alien is hanging in chains.
Alien: "Help me"

Eastwood comes running into the scene, stops right in front of the alien
Eastwood: "I've seen some sad damn aliens, and some damn sad aliens, but your the saddest damned alien I ever did see!"
Alien: "I'm not very happy"

Eastwood: "Guy gotta have his ass removed."
Eastwood lifts his gun, and blows the entire bottom part of the alien, clean off
Alien: "Ow."

A very deep, male narrator voice appears from nowhere
Narrator: "Hi, I'm Celine Dion and I urge you to immediately go out and buy the game Robosaurus vs the Space Bastards!"

This "Buy this game"-screen is about the most crazy thing I've ever seen, and it's always stuck with me.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Thank you so much for sharing your games! I really enjoy reading all your posts so please keep them coming. Not a surprise that most of the games suggested were developed by western developers. As I am a Hong Konger, I mainly played Japanese and Taiwanese games during childhood. Therefore, I will probably share more games on that front. Hope you don't mind that they are mostly games which are not yet localized (and probably never will)!

Anyway, I am not revisiting childhood this time. This afternoon, I just dug up some PS2 games and started playing THE Kanshikikan through emulator. It belongs to D3's simple2000 series, which are all low-budget games sold in affordable prices. (I got a used copy for USD1 during my trip in Japan lol) However, this doesn't mean they are not fun to play! For example, both Earth Defense Force and Onechanbara originate from the simple2000 series and now they are the flagship titles of D3.

THE Kanshikikan is also one of the few lucky titles which received two sequels on the DS (and later ported to 3DS as well). However, I doubt many Japanese people bought and remember them though as they only have a handful of reviews on Amazon JP. Probably only a few people outside Japan know this game, too. So I may as well share about it here. :cat-heart-blob:

If you have played Ace Attorney before, you should remember the forensic officer Ema Skye. Now imagine all the gameplay elements of her (eg. collecting fingerprints, blood samples etc) are turned into one whole game, with a few other additions like assigning different types of evidence to other departments for inspection, deduction through evidence and talking with witnesses and victims, then you get THE Kanshikikan.

(We can all agree that Ema is one of the best characters in AA, right?)

You play as Shikiko Enami, a forensic officer newbie just out of school. At the beginning of episode 1, Shikiko woke up in her grandfather house after his funeral, and one of the relatives staying overnight was hit on the head. Her aunt, the head of police in a nearby precinct, asked her to get on this case even though she is not yet officially a forensic officer until the following week.

While Shikiko investigating the house, she discovered an old Jitte which was an equipment used by police force in the Edo era. As Enami family being a bloodline known for affiliation with police and law enforcement, it was not a surprise that a Jitte is found. However, upon picking it up, Shikiko discovers that her ancestor, a police officer from the Edo era, resides within the Jitte. To make things worse, she also discovered that her grandfather's cat can actually talk like human being. Being one who is afraid of ghost and supernatural stuff, now Shikiko is forced to live and partner with her ancestor ghost and the talking cat to solve cases together.

Some of the in-game background arts are actually photos with touch-up. It is understandable for a low-budget title. Nonetheless, the game still looks very charming. It also has an adorable loading animation!

Last but not least, the Japanese level of this game is not demanding but it has a considerable amount of vocabulary surrounding forensic and police stuff. If you are learning Japanese, I feel that this can be an interesting game to learn some extra words.

I have completed the first episode (took me 1 hour 15 minutes) and so far I like it a lot. The game has 10 episodes so there is still quite a long way to go. I will hold it off for now but will continue playing it from October onwards as it will be one of my five games in the next Backlog Biltz.

Last edited:

Deleted member 113

Jim_Cacher Funnily enough, I have a physical copy of that DS entry in the series somewhere (despite not knowing Japanese :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:).
The game was cheap (as were others in the Simple series; I loved the concept of this series, since many were cheap, low-budget titles, packing fun ideas), and I frequently bought "quirky" Japanese-only games for the DS.
I'm not sure what was my idea with this one, though, since it's pretty much next to impossible to play a damn thing without knowing Japanese.
I played, for example, a crazy tennis game (I believe from Konami) that was Japanese only, and rhythm games, among others, but those had "action" sequences. This one not so much.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Jim_Cacher Funnily enough, I have a physical copy of that DS entry in the series somewhere (despite not knowing Japanese :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:).
The game was cheap (as were others in the Simple series; I loved the concept of this series, since many were cheap, low-budget titles, packing fun ideas), and I frequently bought "quirky" Japanese-only games for the DS.
I'm not sure what was my idea with this one, though, since it's pretty much next to impossible to play a damn thing without knowing Japanese.
I played, for example, a crazy tennis game (I believe from Konami) that was Japanese only, and rhythm games, among others, but those had "action" sequences. This one not so much.
Yes, there are a LOT of fun DS games that are not localized. I mostly bought games that could motivate me to learn Japanese so many of them were VNs, like Another Time Another Leaf (by Arc System Works) or Suron to Makuheru no Nazo no Sutori (by Level 5). Imo, games are always good for learning a language (provided that grammar is solid). I remember myself spending hours and hours on Mass Effect trilogy and became more confident with English after finishing them.

Speaking of rhythm games, I have been interested to try Rhythm Thief for a long time. It looks pretty fun to play and has localization as well. Probably not a forgotten game though haha.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I definitely did not play any of these. I was a straight up mainstream game player. Warcraft II, StarCraft, Command & Conquer, Myth, Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Heroes of Might and Magic kind of guy.

Funny thing is, if the box art for these games is how the developers actually envisioned their games, we now have the tech to bring their vision into fruition,

Sounds like Republic: The Revolution might be a lesson on that.

Bonfires Down

Nov 18, 2019
Two games that I was recently reminded of and might want to replay:

Heretic II (1998)

Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K. 2 (2000)

I can't say that I remember a lot about either game. Heretic II is a third person shooter though you also have access to spells and some nifty melee attacks with a staff I believe. Heavy Metal is... very similar really. It's based on some comic that I've never heard of. The visuals in both games were stunning at the time, Heavy Metal in particular. I remember really enjoying both games. Do they still hold up? Only one way to find out [UWSL]:heroblob:[/UWSL]

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

Heretic II (1998)

I can't say that I remember a lot about either game. Heretic II is a third person shooter though you also have access to spells and some nifty melee attacks with a staff I believe. Heavy Metal is... very similar really. It's based on some comic that I've never heard of. The visuals in both games were stunning at the time, Heavy Metal in particular. I remember really enjoying both games. Do they still hold up? Only one way to find out [UWSL]:heroblob:[/UWSL]
I remember Heavy Metal! Well, besides that 90's pulp, it played nicely if I recall correctly, and was one of those really good idTech3 games. Quite the blast from the past :).

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

Heretic II (1998)

I bought Heretic 2 last year, and aside from getting it to look nice; it doesn't get the mod love that other idtech2 games do; it runs really well and is still a lot of fun to play. The various powers and weapons feel varied enough (lighting storm bow++) There is just enough openness to make it not feel like an endless hallway. And poll vaulting around maps on your staff is a game in its own right. Haven't played FAKK2 is a while, have a copy around somewhere I should give it a go. The Comic and movie it ties into (Heavy Metal and Heavy Metal 2000 respectively), not as much fun as the game (RIP Ritual).

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Shadow Watch

An isometric turn based tactics game.

Each campaign is randomized. You visit 3 cities in each game, Hong Kong, Baikonur and Rio de Janeiro, but in different order. In each city you are tasked with finding out who is sabotaging the space program.
Between each mission you visit contacts and engage in short conversations with them, and the dialogue options you choose determine what missions you will have to choose from afterwards.

When you prepare for a mission, you choose between a roster of premade agents.
Missions can range from total stealth where you need to ghost through, raids where no one knows you're coming and all out assaults.

The game has its quirks. A campaign is not very long, just a couple of hours. Since the agents are pre-determined, they must all survive all missions.
The story might end up not making much sense

In one campaign I played, in one of the cities I ended up being totally misled by one of the contacts. The contact had me battle it out with two different factions, while in secret the contact and his faction were the "bad guys" all along.

Now, the final mission is always the same map I believe, and you end up fighting all the "bad guy" factions you have faced in the three cities. But in the final map, the enemies that showed up was from one of the other two factions that I battled earlier.

If the story is supposed to make sense, it should have been soldiers from the faction that the contact that betrayed me belonged to.

The game has an EXCELLENT soundtrack, made by Bill Brown, and the game is still available to this day!

Deleted member 113

Heavy Metal is so 90's edgy, lol. Definitely a contributor to those megathreads on female character designs.
Actually, it's... 70's edgy. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

The game is part of a franchise that started in the 70's with a now classic magazine, it received a cult classic animation film in the 80's, and in the late 90's/early 00's, it experienced a bit of a revival with another animation film (and the above videogame tied to it).

For reference, here's a trailer for the original animation film from 1981:

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Actually, it's... 70's edgy. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

The game is part of a franchise that started in the 70's with a now classic magazine, it received a cult classic animation film in the 80's, and in the late 90's/early 00's, it experienced a bit of a revival with another animation film (and the above videogame tied to it).

For reference, here's a trailer for the original animation film from 1981:

Yeah I remember the 80's ADULT cartoon movie. How female superheroes were drawn later were based upon those Heavy Metal designs.

Reactions: Cacher

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Thank you so much for sharing your games! I really enjoy reading all your posts so please keep them coming. Not a surprise that most of the games suggested were developed by western developers. As I am a Hong Konger, I mainly played Japanese and Taiwanese games during childhood. Therefore, I will probably share more games on that front. Hope you don't mind that they are mostly games which are not yet localized (and probably never will)!
That's the better part of this thread, discovering games from all around the world even if they are not available in English.

Heretic II (1998)

Now these are games that I haven't heard in a while. I still remember reading about that Heavy Metal game in a game magazine and thinking how nice were these graphics.

An isometric turn based tactics game.

Each campaign is randomized. You visit 3 cities in each game, Hong Kong, Baikonur and Rio de Janeiro, but in different order. In each city you are tasked with finding out who is sabotaging the space program.
Between each mission you visit contacts and engage in short conversations with them, and the dialogue options you choose determine what missions you will have to choose from afterwards.

When you prepare for a mission, you choose between a roster of premade agents.
Missions can range from total stealth where you need to ghost through, raids where no one knows you're coming and all out assaults.
The art kind of remind me of Batman Beyond.

FunnyJay