Discussion Games that hated playing/wasted money on/won't recommend to others?

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Combining all the negative ideas into one, what games you played (and maybe finished) that you felt were
  1. Very bad
  2. Bland/mediocre/nothing interesting
  3. Felt you wasted money/time into it
  4. Wouldn't recommend it, even to your enemies
Anything from biggest AAAs to shovelwares. Not necessary that you've beaten them.

I've always taken games at their own merits and try to have little to no bias. And so I'm able to enjoy many games.
That said, Blades of Time is a painfully mediocre action game that I wish I never wasted my time on. It is the same hacking and slashing through same enemies and repetitive puzzles all over. Voice acting makes my ears bleed.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee and lashman
OP
MegaApple

MegaApple

Sep 20, 2018
Reactions: lashman

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Bloodstained ROTN comes to mind. It wasn't actively bad most of the time (just sometimes), but it didn't have anything to add to the genre. Just a mildly different flavor of the same thing we've already had a dozen games like. I don't know what I expected, but it certainly wasn't that. Definitely felt like I wasted my money and time. Might as well have saved some money, replayed SOTN and enjoyed myself more.

Blossom Tales is another. I've seen plenty people praise this, but I felt cheated after having played a bit of it. Blossom Tales is to ALTTP what Super Mario Bros. Special is to Super Mario Bros.. Just do yourself a favor and play Minit if you've got an itch for a Zelda-like.

Quest of Dungeons. I played it for like twenty minutes. It's not very interesting. (Also, gotta love Nintendo for still not providing refunds. What a joke.)

I also have a lot of hot takes on most modern JRPGs that I've played, but I think that might just be a me thing.

Last edited:

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Animal Crossing on GameCube. I was a little hesitant, but I loved The Sims. So I bought it, played it for about three hours over two days, and thought the entire experience was horrible with nothing fun about any of the activities. I also like to play for extended periods of time so a game that's designed around only playing a bit every day and checking in (which is what a lot of GaaS do and people moan about but accept it with Animal Crossing) simply doesn't work for me. I get the appeal of decorating a space, but it helps when the rest of the game is actually entertaining. That's why The Sims works and Animal Crossing doesn't.

And for one more: Alan Wake. It's a prime example I give of a game I hate-beat. I quickly realized I didn't like anything about how the game flowed, the story, and the characters. I've never been into that method of surreal storytelling where it's like the character is in a living dream/nightmare. But this was on 360 during the achievements heyday so I think I played it on hard and pushed myself through it just so I could be done and have the achievements. And I bought it on release day. I hated every moment and by the time the ending story was being unveiled I let out an actual "Oh, fuck you" and just looked at the game in disgust.

Reactions: MegaApple

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
Yup, forgot that one. Play it on my college friend's laptop, it was generic as hell.

Only played JC2, which was kinda nice but repetitive. Sounds like sequels didn't do much.

I wish they somehow finished the 2001 version and shipped it. I remember watching that trailer on PC magazine CDs.
Oh yes, the 2001 version was my dream. I'm one of the people who foolishly held on to the hope that the game might turn out good after all. Heck, I still have hope that the 2001 version will some day get a public release.

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
Is beating the game a necessity? It's kind of hard to want to beat a game that I hate within a few hours, if that.

Reactions: Kurt Russell

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Good; I hate it when someone comes and is like "it doesn't get good until 20 hours in!" I wish I could say that's hyperbole, but I've been told that for RPGs before.
My limit for ‘getting good’ is 2 hours. That’s why almost drop TLOU and probably will never play ir again because the intro is so bad.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I very rarely made bad purchases because I always know what I want and what I will like.

However, there's this game that I still regret buying, which is Shadow of War, the sequel to Mordor. I played the first game and I hated it, and yet I was brought into hype for the sequel. I remember that the good regional pricing was one of the main factors that pushed me to buy it (besides the notion that it's supposed to be more RPG than its predecessor). I pushed through the 2nd chapter but I just couldn't take it anymore and dropped it later without finishing it.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
The Elder Scrolls: Legends, because I have often grinded gold with daily quests, gems vs. AI, and the daily login rewards (you get a legendary card if you have a streak of 30 days) there, only to learn that the game is discontinued.

F2P games are the worst when it comes to respecting your time. I would never recommend a F2P game to a friend.

I am trying to get away from Gwent, Hearthstone, and Runeterra. I still connect daily to cycle through the daily quests, or for the daily rewards, but I avoid playing these games every day. I will do the daily quests every 3 days, I guess. Then try to progressively stop doing them at all.

I will likely avoid Artifact due to the obvious battle-pass business model which is going to be there.

OP
MegaApple

MegaApple

Sep 20, 2018
Is beating the game a necessity? It's kind of hard to want to beat a game that I hate within a few hours, if that.
Nope, I'll edit it
Bloodstained ROTN comes to mind. It wasn't actively bad most of the time (just sometimes), but it didn't have anything to add to the genre. Just a mildly different flavor of the same thing we've already had a dozen games like. I don't know what I expected, but it certainly wasn't that. Definitely felt like I wasted my money and time. Might as well have saved some money, replayed SOTN and enjoyed myself more.

Blossom Tales is another. I've seen plenty people praise this, but I felt cheated after having played a bit of it. Blossom Tales is to ALTTP what Super Mario Bros. Special is to Super Mario Bros.. Just do yourself a favor and play Minit if you've got an itch for a Zelda-like.

Quest of Dungeons. I played it for like twenty minutes. It's not very interesting. (Also, gotta love Nintendo for still not providing refunds. What a joke.)

I also have a lot of hot takes on most modern JRPGs that I've played, but I think that might just be a me thing.
Saving myself a lot of money here, esp if Bloodstained thing is true.

I'd actually like to hear your JRPG thoughts.
I very rarely made bad purchases because I always know what I want and what I will like.

However, there's this game that I still regret buying, which is Shadow of War, the sequel to Mordor. I played the first game and I hated it, and yet I was brought into hype for the sequel. I remember that the good regional pricing was one of the main factors that pushed me to buy it (besides the notion that it's supposed to be more RPG than its predecessor). I pushed through the 2nd chapter but I just couldn't take it anymore and dropped it later without finishing it.
This is one of the games I played non-stop for almost 2 days (never happened in my life) and after I reach chapter 4, I absolutely hated every minute I spent on it. This was before the rebalance patch of 2018 that removed the "lootboxes" and made grinding to bearable levels.
F2P games are the worst when it comes to respecting your time. I would never recommend a F2P game to a friend.
True words never spoken more true.
Honest question, is there even a good card video game?

Last edited:
Reactions: texhnolyze

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I believe I've got a few games that deserve a mention (in no particular order):
  • Cosmic Star Heroine - It gets a decent amount of praise but it's so shallow and repetitive and the combat is so mediocre it hurts. Everything is based on combos but they all suck and lack any sense of power. The story and characters are also painfully bad.
  • Graveyard Keeper - Not necessarily a bad game but my god the grind is unbearable. Everything is a chore, you have to grind the same activities for countless hours just to be able to unlock a new tool that will allow you to grind something else for countless hours again.
  • The Last Remnant - Probably one the worst games I've ever played. Tried to get into it 4 times over the last 10 years and always bounce off after 2h. The combat makes no sense and the characters and story are so mind numbing mediocre.
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy - I hope the only reason people think this is good it's because of nostalgia and general kid stupidity because this is one of the worst platformers I've ever played. There's nothing salvageable here.
  • Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale - Another grindy game but this time with an anime coat of paint...
  • Invisible, Inc. - As a TBS and TRPG aficionado this one hurts the most, not because it's bad but because it's shallow and hollow. It's repetitive and eventually leads to nothing. You're expected to repeat the same scenarios ad-nauseam for what? to unlock another character with another basic ability and repeat everything again...

I've always taken games at their own merits and try to have little to no bias. And so I'm able to enjoy many games.
That said, Blades of Time is a painfully mediocre action game that I wish I never wasted my time on. It is the same hacking and slashing through same enemies and repetitive puzzles all over. Voice acting makes my ears bleed.
I remember playing that game back when GMG game you credit for achievements. If I'm not mistaken that one made me 3€.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Raven's Cry - I'm a sucker for pirate games, so I thought how bad can it be...Yeah it's really bad.
Two Worlds - Weirdly I didn't mind two worlds 2
Hellgate London

Flips

Overwhelmingly Positive
May 12, 2019
Life is Strange 2

Expected to love it as much as LiS1 and BtS but it was boring, had no charm at all and the worst offender in this whole mess: the little brother I wanted to push off a cliff 20 minutes in.

Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Honest question, is there even a good card video game?
Most two-player card games are fun for some time as you learn and master the mechanics.
Then they become bland and the F2P tricks are there to keep you playing.

As for single-player games, I like Gremlins Inc., Dream Quest, Slay the Spire, etc.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
No Man's Sky.

I adore space sims, atmospheric exploration games and anything that has even a semblance of story woven into those elements. Yet despite installing mods and making the attempt twice, that game has thoroughly turned me off

First and foremost, the feeling of scale is non-existent. You can see as far as most FPS games and it never feels larger than a single map. The transition from ground to space is both much too quick and the lack of details coming in from space make the transition both jarring and the switch of systems transparent. The view distance is puny and the planet generation also fails to feel compelling. It clearly is random noise applied to a height map and the pattern is quickly obvious. They never manage to hide it, to decorate or intertwine it with more generation systems. It's naked and bare to the eye.

Second, the lighting and post-processing. To say that the game's lighting feels unnatural and fake would be an understatement. It's horrendous, not dynamic in the least and even the day-night cycle manages to feel unnatural. And I don't mean in an exotic, alien way. It just feels unnatural to the way light works. When the sun is out, an artificial filter is plastered on the screen like a permanent glare that only goes away once you climb in your ship. The color grading is also rather offensive. In short, it's a game whose atmosphere is inexistent.

Thirdly, the gameplay. Repetitive and awkward doesn't even begin to describe it. Constant suit system call-outs, incredibly awkward and unintuitive inventory system where abilities are slotted and repaired in the strangest ways. And most of all, some of the options you want or need are hidden away not in keybindings or options in the menu but in the quick action menu that you never learn about. Want to switch from 3rd to 1st? You have to go through a couple levels of those to find it.

Fourth, the narrative. Or rather, lack thereof. You find out words about a language, and at no point do have any semblance of a story thread over than "Oh, maybe it's a loop of some kind". It's non-existent as far as I can tell and the original ending, which I hope has been improved, doesn't show much promise that this game is intended to be a narrative journey.

I really wanted to like that game but the world feels fake, every moment spent looking at a planet's surface is irritating at some level and every motion you take triggers about half a dozen alarms about your impending doom to the sight of progress bars slowly depleting.

That game is not for me. It fails at depicting a beautiful world or even providing a sense of place at all. It's hollow and its sky is empty.

Last edited:
Reactions: MegaApple and ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
1. Anybody remember "Z"? The gaming press was hyped when it came out '96 and as a strategy fan I bought it day one. I hated it from the very first mission.

2. Quantum Break. No idea why this is being praised so much. Quiet the game after 4ish hours because I was bored af. Especially the game-play was underwhelming, the cut-scenes seemed interesting at first but didn't caught me either.

3. Dragon Age 2. I played Dragon Age as a CRPG, for the most part. It was clunky, but the "revolutionary" action oriented combat in the successor didn't stick with me at all. I also wasn't able to get over the idea that it wasn't a direct Awakening continuation and the lackluster, mirrored paste and copy dungeons did the rest. Play hated through it though, because I had hope for the story. I was naive.

4. FO76. I don't want to talk about it

5. Godus. FU @ peter molyneux

6. Warhammer Dawn of War 3: Everything needs Dota elements.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Persona 5

Metal Gear Solid (pretty much the entire franchise with the exception of Revengeance, just not my thing and 1-3 aged like a milk)

FInal Fantasy XIII (if being bland as hell wasn't enough, Vanille having an orgasm every time she opens her mouth is incredibly irritating)

Yakuza: Dead Souls (worst tps ever, worst aiming ever)

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Okay, I have to ask : what's the deal with P5? I don't think it's my kind of game but last I checked it seemed to make fans of the series happy.
It simply feels stagnant, has the worst cast of characters and pretty shallow and inconsistent story. Great menus tho.

Reactions: Swenhir

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

I'm in the same boat regarding mostly buying what I know I will like, at least in the last decade.

One exception was Ni No Kuni 2. It's a really similar situation to what you posted about Mordor. I also didn't like the first NNK in the long run, but people told me 2 was much different and better. And it was on Steam which made me much more willing to give it a try.

The game has a lot going for it: beautiful art, good music, lots of content and systems, etc. But ultimately (and we're talking "ultimately" in the sense of a few hours here, not after I had my fill) I just found it painfully dull.

Okay, I have to ask : what's the deal with P5? I don't think it's my kind of game but last I checked it seemed to make fans of the series happy.
It probably makes fans happy because the issues I personally have with it are the same in 3 and 4: all of these games are significantly longer than what their gameplay and overall content variety justifies.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Life is Strange 2

Expected to love it as much as LiS1 and BtS but it was boring, had no charm at all and the worst offender in this whole mess: the little brother I wanted to push off a cliff 20 minutes in.

Playing with fire arent we? :p

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
It simply feels stagnant, has the worst cast of characters and pretty shallow and inconsistent story. Great menus tho.

It probably makes fans happy because the issues I personally have with it are the same in 3 and 4: all of these games are significantly longer than what their gameplay and overall content variety justifies.
Thank you both for the answer! Given that in your case, Durante, I know you tend to enjoy JRPG, that is a big red flag for me.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I'm not a long time fan. Was my first persona game ever and I enjoyed it a lot.
Music, presentation, style, story, cast, battle system. I had nothing to complain about.
I took a deep dive into the world and never regreted it.

Reactions: Swenhir

Kandrick

Jun 10, 2019
Switzerland
Thanks to the other thread for reminding me that shit shit exists.

Journey.

I don't ever regret buying games, i just shrug it off if i don't like something in the end, but journey is one of the games i'd have asked for a refund if i could.

OP
MegaApple

MegaApple

Sep 20, 2018
space sims, atmospheric exploration games and anything that has even a semblance of story woven into those elements.
Played a lot of Freelancer back in the day and I know what you mean.
NMS, I feel, is an elaborate survival-type game (Subnautica, The Forest etc.) rather than a proper Space Sim, so I think it is easy to get disappointed by it expecting the latter.

Anybody remember "Z"?
Played a bit of it few years back, kinda liked the idea but I can't imagine playing for long.

Dragon Age 2
It was one of the first western RPGs I played :face-without-mouth:
Just my personal bias, I actually really like the combat of this game, felt more connected than top-down isometric RPGs. Felt more connected to the character. Inquisition refined it though.
Like how it handled choices in the first act, genuinely surprised at a few moments.
But yeah, it's very undercooked, even for the small scope they were going for.

Reactions: ISee

FunnyJay