|OT| GOG - Old Games, New Games, Good Games!

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Any good? Has big discount 2.99€
It's great, a Half-Life 2 style FPS adventure with its own twists. It's not a classic like the games it apes (but probably more fun, if more limited, than Bioshock), you can call it derivative, generic, cheesy, but it's still damn good, especially since such FPS campaigns are barely done nowadays (and Raven is a COD DLC factory).

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018

Just figured I would mention this to people if you own the GOTY edition on GOG.

You can download the most up to date version of the game as an Offline installer backup from your library off of GOG from the website its self which is pretty self explanatory but:

You can also download the backup from GOG Galaxy which I completely forgot how to do and it was basically like a convoluted maze:

So inside GOG Galaxy click on the GOG.COM tab under Games, click on a game you own, You should now see in the top center of the GOG Galaxy screenlike this

Click on the . . . button

Followed by clicking on the Extras button
Scroll all the way to the fucking bottom (Unless you have a giant monitor)

Ta Da
Then you can click the purple arrow to download the offline backup installer for your owned games

I know that you can just do it super easy off the website but it annoyed the shit out of me that I couldn't for the life of me remember offhand how to do it through GOG Galaxy and i knew you could but yeah I didnt remember it being that stupid, anyways
Since the Updated version of Witcher 3 will automagically update etc if you own it on GOG you can in theory have a old version still unlike on Steam unless they change their mind or whatever

Thought it might be helpful

Reactions: lashman
OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
So in uh... sad or sneaky? news:

GOG Connect, doesn't exist anymore I guess lol

It used to be my main link to going to GOG now it immediately goes to their home page instead of the GOG connect page

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
So in uh... sad or sneaky? news:

GOG Connect, doesn't exist anymore I guess lol

It used to be my main link to going to GOG now it immediately goes to their home page instead of the GOG connect page

• Sad
OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018

Pretty sure Lashman linked them all as they got announced on steam but they're all coming out on GOG as well. Pretty cool that SNEG/GOG is sort of ramping up releasing older titles like that when it felt like stuff like that was pretty "Stagnate" for a long time.

I mean I know you can always just go all over the internet and download stuff but actually having it in one place collected together and easily downloading it and a bunch of other reasons makes it so much easier

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018

Fairly certain this is a new thing so you'd want to most likely opt out (Don't know why you'd not) but this got turned on for some reason for a lot of people when grabbing giveaways since subscribing was a requirement but I never saw this pop up
It's under Orders and settings then Subscription settings

Also:

The Autumn sale started

Last edited:
OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
One I always kind of wondered what the hell the difference between the "new" versions of Fallout and Fallout Classic were and since I had amazon prime I was claiming them anyways I finally actually spent the time trying to figure it out and came to the conclusion that I have no idea!

My rudimentary looking into it basically came to the conclusion that:

Essentially the non classic versions which are the only ones you can still purchase or get for free from PRIME come with just a manual and are updated to the latest and greatest patch. While the old "CLASSIC" versions not available anymore were an older non patched version that came bundled with a bunch of extra cool stuff (I think it's cool at least, like the soundtrack, even a bonus mission!).
Unfortunately you can't buy them anymore so it's just the new ones now

Fallout Tactics is 1.7 Gigs

Fallout Tactics Classic is 1.7 gigs

Fallout is 687 MB and I believe version 1.2

Fallout Classic is only 502 MB

Fallout 2 is 721 MB and I believe version 1.02

Fallout 2 classic is 721 MB

On the second thing

But how does it work and what about the DRM-free aspect?

Now that’s the best part. On Luna you’ll be able to play every game that you already own on GOG (and that is also available on Luna). There’s absolutely no requirement to purchase anything twice – you bought it once on our platform so it’s always yours, as always.

Moreover, it works both ways. You’ll be able to buy games that are available on GOG via Luna’s client and they will go straight into your GOG library.

In other words, buying games on GOG (directly on our service or via Luna) will give you the best of both worlds – enjoying them on Luna’s cloud gaming service, as well as via offline installers or GOG GALAXY. All your DRM-free benefits of owning games on GOG will still be there, you’ll just have more ways to play your favorite titles.

And of course features of GOG GALAXY such as cloud saves and achievements will still work when playing on Luna – don’t worry about splitting your progress.
I thought it was pretty cool when I saw the announcement of them teaming up for streaming for stuff

However their actual forum got them a ton of hate, the main article goes over stuff a lot more

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I'd forgotten all about Luna, ha.

Found this thread from 2015 about Classic vs non-Classic

They differ by Extras and Mac versions according to if it was Interplay or Bethesda that sold them.
Wonder if one of the wikis has a definitive answer? hmmm.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
They differ by Extras and Mac versions according to if it was Interplay or Bethesda that sold them.
Wonder if one of the wikis has a definitive answer? hmmm.
This is correct. For example, the old Interplay Fallout 2 version has Win and Mac clients and these extras
The newer Bethesda version only has a Windows client and these extras

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Oh that's cool to know, I wasn't trying to be lazy about looking into it

I just sort of began absentmindedly started thinking about it when amazon prime started shitting out GOG keys for them and I had the classic versions

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky
OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Saw this last night:

GOG have announced that they're getting into game funding, with the first partnership being a boost for developers from Robust Games and publisher Chucklefish for their upcoming title Loco Motive.

An interesting move, and not exactly unusual really when you think about it. GOG run a games store, if they think funding specific games that will release on GOG will increase sales — why not do it? Loco Motive is a game I actually wrote about back in early 2021 due to the impressively styled free Game Jam version, which has a Native Linux version, although it looks like the full release will not so you'll need Proton. The developers say they've tested the game on the Steam Deck and "it works well!".
From the press release:

"We believe in game preservation – in every form. Where there is passion and love for gaming, we want to go there! Be it bringing back classic titles, making them playable, reviving unlisted gems… Or supporting the creation of new indie games, such as Robust Games’ Loco Motive" - Bartosz Kwietniewski, Head of Business Development at GOG

"As a small independent studio, we were thrilled to forge this partnership with GOG. We deeply value and appreciate the trust GOG place in us as their first investment into indies, and I'm confident that with their collaboration and support we will reach new heights of success." - Adam Riches, Co-Founder of Robust Games

I did shoot off an email to GOG PR about this, asking more questions about how this partnership actually works for GOG but they have not replied as of time of publishing. See GOG's announcement for more.

Loco Motive is available for wishlists on:

GOG

Steam

TL;DR

It looks like GOG is doing some indie game Publishing/funding

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Saw this last night:

TL;DR

It looks like GOG is doing some indie game Publishing/funding