News Half-Life: Alyx - Releasing March 23, 2020 on SteamVR

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
Very interesting. It's kinda interesting playing Jurassic Park: Trespasser and thinking about how the design evolution of that game's successors eventually led us here. Trespasser was basically a proto-VR game except you picked stuff up with a fair bit of fiddly mouse button holding and mouse rotation. Valve are evidently hoping this'll be the killer app for VR. Hopefully the game "just works". Also, I hope the writing is up to snuff.

ramoisdead

MetaMember
Nov 5, 2018
I don't have VR and neither am I interested at the moment. Yet, I'm still curious on what Alyx is and what it can do to really push VR into the mainstream audience more so than other titles currently. If one company can achieve that, it's Valve.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Very interesting. It's kinda interesting playing Jurassic Park: Trespasser and thinking about how the design evolution of that game's successors eventually led us here. Trespasser was basically a proto-VR game except you picked stuff up with a fair bit of fiddly mouse button holding and mouse rotation. Valve are evidently hoping this'll be the killer app for VR. Hopefully the game "just works". Also, I hope the writing is up to snuff.

Oh, you mentioned Jurassic Park Tresspasser so i get to shill my favourite Let's play of the game. One of my most watched/listened to series on youtube. It's really educational and goes into the development background and issues, the game's physics and weapons and of course the story and how it references the film. It helps that Research Indicates has a great voice for commentary.

Highly recommended!

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Sorry for the derail i though tit was the Steam thread! Ooops!

Can't wait for more news about the game! It's going to cause so many twitter/forum/reddit meltdowns though.

Reactions: lashman

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
Absolutely incredible, I know that I'll have an Index by the end of the year.
Thank you Valve T_T

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Militant VR proponent here, I just hope they blew it out of the water. I'd also love them to continue the Half Life story eventually.

I think it was always a natural evolution. And I loved Trespasser in the day -- innovation matters a lot to me. But this game was so forward-thinking it was like inventing Super Mario Bros before the invention of electricity.

I'm happy that AVGN did a very thoughtful and fair episode on the game:

you know it's got something to it when AVGN in-character thinks it's kinda interesting

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
A monumental moment. I can't wait to see how Valve pushes VR game design with this.
I don't have VR and this is even why I'm excited. To really see the field pushed and advanced, games need to be exclusive to take advantage of the platform.

Reactions: Arsene and Arulan

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I don't have VR and this is even why I'm excited. To really see the field pushed and advanced, games need to be exclusive to take advantage of the platform.
I agree, but I do hope, as I definitely don't have the money to drop on a VR headset of any quality, that it will come out later as a nonVR edition.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
I'd be a little more excited if Valve cared enough to sell the Index here. As it is, this is just a curious anecdote to me. Good for those who'll be able to play it, of course.

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Finally.. Is this where Gabens redemption arc begins?
Not that he needed any.

sauce

Babushkats
Dec 3, 2018
Finally I can talk about this :)

First had the privilege of playing and working on it a bit over 2 years ago during my time at Valve. It was honestly already a crazy amazing experience back then, Valve has poured so much love, care, and though into the next story in the Half-Life universe. I can’t even imagine how much they’ve polished it these last two years.

If the direction is still the same as it was some time ago, there’s another huge announcement tied to this that’ll likely happen simultaneously or soon after, which nobody has heard or mentioned anything of. That could mean it was scrapped or is under particularly tight wraps. I’m hoping for the latter :)
(emphasis mine)

Kylac

Apr 17, 2019
finally getting that half life movie

edit: or more realistically Source 2 SDK

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
This is just speculation on my part, but I'd think that Valve would want to recreate the modding and user-created content boon that took place with the original Half-Life, but for VR. It wouldn't surprise me if they spent a lot of time creating modding tools and have it ready for launch.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I'm mostly just amazed to see a Tweet from Valve! Not sure I've seen one of those linked ever.XD

But yes very excited to see this, they do have some immense expectations on them that's for sure!

Reactions: TheTrain

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Colorado, USA
I'd absolutely love to get an Index because I am sure this game will be improved by using Knuckles, but my Rift CV1 will have to do for now.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I wonder if the Index will be discounted this Winter Sale (even a little would help).

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Oh, you mentioned Jurassic Park Tresspasser so i get to shill my favourite Let's play of the game. One of my most watched/listened to series on youtube. It's really educational and goes into the development background and issues, the game's physics and weapons and of course the story and how it references the film. It helps that Research Indicates has a great voice for commentary.

Highly recommended!
And this video can show how Trespasser mechanics would be so much more intuitive in VR (while lamenting it didn't drive gaming into a physics renaissance).

Great news!

Console-only gamers are gonna be furious if this turns out to be a Steam exclusive game. :)
How can it be anything other than exclusive, at least until PS5 with PSVR2 and up to date controllers/tracking becomes a thing to even start considering it?

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Great news!

Console-only gamers are gonna be furious if this turns out to be a Steam exclusive game. :)
I've seen people port begging for this (and Stormland) for PSVR - as if that'll ever happen on lousy PS4 and PSVR hardware. There's just so many roadblocks to this being a thing: the power of the base PS4 (Pro might be able to do it, but Sony are 100% against Pro-only games which is fair enough) and the limitations of the PS Move controllers.

Honestly, I doubt this'll come to console ever, even next-gen. Valve are done with console platforms and the inability for them to be more timely with their updates thanks to certification. Even Apple App Store shenanigans have frustrated them with their iOS app updates, so I doubt what the console guys are doing with their updates will ever keep them happy.

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
(emphasis mine)
Seeing how all the valve staff is reacting on Twitter it seems really something huge, it must be a relief for everyone involved seeing the game announced and almost ready to enter the market.
I'm pretty sure that this will be next big thing of videogames.

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
This is going to be really fun! Still a big HL fan, anything new is going to be great regardless.

I just hope I can get a bit more comfortable with full movement locomotion as I prefer it over teleportation but still haven’t acclimated to it yet

I think probably the most amusing thing I’ve noticed in all this is the absolute staunch dismissal of every aspect of this, mostly because of an illogical platform loyalty. With any other game it’s a matter of, “this could at least be interesting, hopefully it will eventually come to x which I’d prefer”, but of course not so with this.

Kthulhu

Feb 28, 2019
Awesome news!

I'm assuming Valve will probably make it available on as many headsets as possible. Hopefully not too much is lost by using something other than an Index.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Awesome news!

I'm assuming Valve will probably make it available on as many headsets as possible. Hopefully not too much is lost by using something other than an Index.
I think the biggest challenge is input, the HMD really shouldn't make any difference.
But I'm pretty sure that even for input Valve created usable profiles for all devices out there. They basically put far more work into device-independent and adaptable VR input layers than anyone else.

Reactions: lashman and Kthulhu

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
In all honesty: Is the Oculus Rift S good? I could get one for 400€.

And would it make sense to buy one instead of the 1100€ Index VR?