|OT| Horizon Zero Dawn - You Have My Bow

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Default is dynamic I believe. Anyways it works, weird that I need to increase my pagefile to require 32gb of RAM but I will take it lol

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
What amount of RAM do you have or what is your pagefile set to? I have 16GB onboard and setting a pagefile of 16GB+ completely got rid of my crashes lol.
My latest crash last night was when I was alt-tabbing and browsing. I just checked my pagefile and it's set to manual at 10GB, weird. I"ll try to set it to automatic for now and see what happens.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
My latest crash last night was when I was alt-tabbing and browsing. I just checked my pagefile and it's set to manual at 10GB, weird. I"ll try to set it to automatic for now and see what happens.
Just do the option for min/max and set the min at like 17GB. Max I put 20GB.

Once done with this game that is changing back to smaller values or if they did stuff before that happens.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Just had another crash after 1+ hour of playing. I was setting up my tripcaster for the sawtooth hunt. I guess I'll try that manual pagefile trick now.

Edit: Aaaaand it crashes right away, while a cutscene is ending. FML.

Last edited:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Edit: Aaaaand it crashes right away, while a cutscene is ending. FML.
If you are on a nvidia card, could you check if there is an error about "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" in Windows Event manager at the time of the crash?

Yaska

"It depends" - Every lawyer ever,
Dec 18, 2018
I have pagefile set to 20gb and 32gb ram, no crashes at all.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Do the collectibles (hate these in games) achievement cound carry into NG+? Like if I miss one, I can get it next playthrough?

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
If you are on a nvidia card, could you check if there is an error about "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" in Windows Event manager at the time of the crash?
I opened the event manager and I have no idea what I'm looking at.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
So these tokens you get from the complete edition, do they give you weapons & armour? Supposedly not and you get boxes of random resourced and mods from Teb the guy you saved. My friend said he got weapons and armour - did I waste them?

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
My friend said he got weapons and armour - did I waste them?
You got weapons and armor for preordering the PS4 version for the tokens. They now give boxes with resources. But afaik the weapons can now be bought at various traders. It's not big, those weapons will be exchanged quickly anyway.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
So these tokens you get from the complete edition, do they give you weapons & armour? Supposedly not and you get boxes of random resourced and mods from Teb the guy you saved. My friend said he got weapons and armour - did I waste them?

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I'm always quite amazed at how helpful people try to be in the face of a botched release. There's a ton of helpful tips there and I tip my hat to you.

Still, this is a pretty shameful port. So many crashes, so little optimization on a flagship release is unacceptable, especially when you consider the basis GG laid down with the base game. The scaling Durante demonstrated shows how well-built the engine is, they just didn't put in the work to actually port it to a different architecture. I also agree on the hints that is a half-baked debug build hastily turned release. I also saw that their HDR buffers are using a rather puzzling 8bit per channel render target instead of, well, something more adequate like 10 or 16bits to parrot the steam review mentioning this.

Either the company wasn't given enough time or they clearly had little in the way of the experience and manpower they required to do this right. Either way, it's on both Sony and them. It's a happy thing that people aren't encountering crashes nor problems because it means they are having fun, against all odds if this is a hint at the quality of the work that was done.

It still doesn't invalidate their existence for a huge amount of others, most of which seem not to be fortunate enough to have in excess of 16gigs of ram and high-end graphics cards. It feels like a paid beta for them and I really sympathize.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
So how comes I haven't had one crash though?
There seems to be various kinds of crashes. One pretty silly source seems to be that the game is, if you just debug what's happening, trying to access address 0. It turns out, that's it's basically an assert that is failing. This could be due to many things. Perhaps during development they wanted to catch if RAM ever gets critically low, or too much swapping from RAM to disk is happening etc. Some edge cases presumably. And that's a sensible strategy for a development build. Using a asserts isn't a bad practice at all. I personally feel they don't replace proper real-life testing, and probably give people a false sense of security, but they are fine. But you shouldn't ship them in live code. It's baffling that they didn't turn that off when producing a release build. In that same vein, having debug code in the released executable is just a very bad sign of a rushed port.
Mind you, if this was ported by an inexperienced team, with a pretty hard deadline and little support in terms of Q&A, then yeah, I think that would explain the state of the port. In fact, in that case it's impressive how the port seems to run well at all for so many people.

Ultimately, I feel it's not helpfully to just post "well it runs well for me". People aren't lying about their experience, and on PC you have so many weird things that can go wrong due to the variety in hardware and software too.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
That "as a programmer myself" "clearly a debug build" guy sounds like an example of the kind of person who has written a "hello world" program, can run the "strings" tool on an executable, and then thinks they know a lot more than they actually do.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee and lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
That "as a programmer myself" "clearly a debug build" guy sounds like an example of a the kind of person who has written a "hello world" program, can run the "strings" tool on an executable, and then thinks they know a lot more than they actually do.
That is indeed what he sounds like, which is why I took what he said with a pinch of salt.

That being said, he's not wrong. He points to stuff in there that to me shouldn't be. Asserts still triggering arbitrary crashes is a debatable shipping decision unless they are really assuming the role of memory management safeguards, which is also debatable the way I see it.

Reactions: lashman

Yaska

"It depends" - Every lawyer ever,
Dec 18, 2018
there's always debug code left in the shipping versions. The game for me hasn't crashed at once though. Curiously I'm now experiencing better performance when I set clouds at ultra than clouds at high. Locked at 60fps at 1440p now.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
They are not specified as Horizo Zero Dawn, you have to go by time.
Okay, just had another crash, here's the logs, there are 3 of them:
1. Warning
The maximum file size for session "PerfDiag Logger" has been reached. As a result, events might be lost (not logged) to file "C:\Windows\system32\WDI\LogFiles\ShutdownPerfDiagLogger.etl". The maximum files size is currently set to 20971520 bytes.
2. Error
Session "PerfDiag Logger" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188
3. Warning
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
3. Warning
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
This error is saying that your graphics card stopped responding. This would explain why the game is crashing for you.
Unstable overclocks will produce this error and are a dead give away that an oc is too high while testing overclocks.
If you overclocked yourself, try going back to stock settings.
If you didn't overclock yourself, it is unlikely that the card is crashing because of the overclock the manufacturer applied. Still, not something that can be entirely ruled out. I'd try giving the card 50MHz less just to see if the game starts running stable or not.

OP

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
That is indeed what he sounds like, which is why I took what he said with a pinch of salt.

That being said, he's not wrong. He points to stuff in there that to me shouldn't be. Asserts still triggering arbitrary crashes is a debatable shipping decision unless they are really assuming the role of memory management safeguards, which is also debatable the way I see it.
death stranding exe is full of horizon game modules, like down to horizon quests skill tag names and alot of other shit. im pointing to stuff here that shouldnt exist in death stranding at all, like why are we loading horizon game data in death stranding LOL

makes me think its decima engine in general :p

Durante

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
So I caved and bought the game from 2Game with their new offer.

I got 1 crash right away in the cave, as apparently the game didn't want me to jump around and waste time. Apart from that, no other problems or crashes.

With DF's settings I'm running the game at around 50 fps at 1440p on a 6700k + GTX1080 (it dips below that during combat, but with Gsying it doesn't really bother me).
The little stutters when the quests update don't really bother me, I only noticed them because I was paying attention to that.

I've played for a bit more than 3 hours so far, really liking it so far :awwblob:

• Love
Reactions: didamangi and ISee

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
makes me think its decima engine in general :p

Durante
This is really fascinating. I guess it comes with the territory, as Decima was never meant to be this big third party engine, so Guerilla probably didn't make a super strict distinction between what was "game data" and what was "engine code".

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
This error is saying that your graphics card stopped responding. This would explain why the game is crashing for you.
Unstable overclocks will produce this error and are a dead give away that an oc is too high while testing overclocks.
If you overclocked yourself, try going back to stock settings.
If you didn't overclock yourself, it is unlikely that the card is crashing because of the overclock the manufacturer applied. Still, not something that can be entirely ruled out. I'd try giving the card 50MHz less just to see if the game starts running stable or not.
My card is gtx 106o Zotac AMP! edition. I guess that means "amplified" or overclocked by the manufacturer?

I've been using this card for years and this is the first time this happened to me. I never overclock my PC parts, it's outside the realm of my capabilities and endeavor. Oh well, I guess I'll wait for a patch instead. This never happened before in any game ever in my 20+ years of PC gaming experience. I really appreciate your patience in guiding me through all this stuff, but I will not do further unnecessary hassles to cover the awful porting job from the devs. Thanks. :dabblob:

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
You never had a game crash to desktop on you in 20 years?[UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]:doubtblob:[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]
No, not recurring like this, and not because my PC parts are overclocked by default.

My previous card was HD 7870 GHz edition, which was factory overclocked too.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I actually had a Zotac card (a 970) which was not stable at "stock" (manufacturer OC) clocks in a handful of games. I have not bought Zotac since then.

Honestly, if the GPU driver crashes, it's not the user-mode software which is at fault.

Reactions: ISee

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Hope they can fixed the 30fps animation lock as well, pretty noticeable in conversations, rain drops on faces looks weird because of it among other things.

Some of the voice audio quality sounds compressed/mediocre in conversations as well, pretty noticeable on some characters like Erend. Or maybe it's just the recording. Checking the ps4 version on youtube, it sounds the same so they probably can't change that.

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
I just did everything that might help and to my surprise it did, stuttering is gone except for the hiccups when the ui updates etc that everybody gets and no crashes since, even previously reproducable crashes are gone (and i hope they stay gone but who knows).

• overclocking my 1070 (it has plenty of headroom, ~50°C under full load, but didn't play a game yet where a couple fps might really make a difference)
  • installing the death stranding hotfix drivers
  • disabling all overlays
  • closing most background apps
  • fullscreen instead of borderless
  • disabling anti virus/malware protections that supposedly rarely cause issues

no idea what did the trick since i just made all the changes at once not interested in spending lots of time isolating factors but one or more of those really helped

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
More reason to call this a bad port, I guess.

When do you use the maps you buy from the merchants? Does it matter where you open them?
Buying and using the map were some of my biggest gripe while playing the game. It clutters the map and triggers my OCD.

It's best not to use them, just explore naturally.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
More reason to call this a bad port, I guess.

Buying and using the map were some of my biggest gripe while playing the game. It clutters the map and triggers my OCD.

It's best not to use them, just explore naturally.
I honestly hate collectibles. I do explore but I don't really care for picking up an old cup from the metal age city ruins.

Trying to find this mythical golden traveling pack. xD

I know it exists.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
True, but there are also collectibles exploring the story of the old world. Especially this one story about this kid who managed to get his life together. I really can't say why I think it is essential and fits the world building and overall theme so much, without spoilers.

And spoilers in HZD are a crime, the mystery what happened to the old world and what is going on is that good.
Combat is fantastic in HZD, so are the graphics and art design. But what helped to elevate the game into goty category for me was that story.
Only downside are the side quests.

So while I also hate collectibles, some of them serve a purpose in HZD and are meant to help in building the world. Which is something I appreciated.

I can not emphasize enough how important it is to listen and read logs, holographic videos etc.
Some people in the original OT constantly complained about the audio logs, which blew my mind.
Does it matter where you open them?
No

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Indeed. I HIGHLY recommend exploring just to find those audio logs and stuff. It's one of, if not the best implementation of collectibles in an open world game.

• Love
Reactions: ISee

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I had one more crash at my playsession last night (~ 4 hours), other than that, switching my GPU to PCIEx16 and increasing the pagefile seemed to have helped stability.

But apart from the crashes, it runs, plays and looks fantastic, and I hope they will fix the issues so many people report soon so that they may also enjoy this wonderful game. :) I'm just having a blast with HZD.

Oh, and thanks for mentioning the golden fast travel bag, I'll see to it that I will get that asap. Sounds more useful than riding the mount indeed.

Reactions: ISee and Prodigy

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Poking my head in. Read about the possibility of a debug build released to the public, snow deformation removed, just saw the Aloy hair at 30 fps trick.

Holy hell this is getting into Diablo 3 launch territory, when nobody could log onto battle.net. or No Man's Sky being a Psyche!!! at launch.

More power to all of you who are doing the play testing that the developers didn't pay for.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Just checked GeForce Experience and HZD doesn't even appear in the start menu for optimization.
Not that I'm using that, but it's interesting that the HZD driver is now weeks old and the game has no profile in geforce experience.

Reactions: lashman