PSA I co-founded a company that does PC ports (among other things)

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Since self-promotion isn't prohibited and it might be of interest to some of the people here I thought I'd make a thread about this.

The company is called PH3, and the gaming-related part has a tiny web presence here.

The process has actually been on-going since September last year, but we just very recently got the final bureaucratic ids required to consider it fully complete (Austrian bureaucracy is an art form).

Expect some more ports from us in the future!
(And contact us if you need a high-quality PC port ;))

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Durante you have been doing such an amazing job always that we can't thank you enough, your constant dedication to the PC world in order to bring us the best possible versions will always be in our hearts, and to be honest, you are such an important part for some games and companies that sometimes we wonder "Has X contacted Durante so he (and the team) can check the port?"

Be proud of what have you been doing and what you have accomplished, I really wish you all the best with the new projects coming and the ones you are working on right now.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Thanks for all the kind words!

Can we portbeg?
You can, but at least in the foreseeable future we really aren't looking to license games ourselves. That's a whole other can of worms and you need more than technical expertise to successfully do that.
So you'd still need to port-beg publishers (or developers in case of indie games), but if you gain traction you can certainly suggest that they consider our services ;)

what does PH3 stand for?
We have several answers to that depending on how serious and "no-nonsense" the person asking is.

The truth is that settling on a name was actually really hard, and we were still considering several alternatives. We wanted it to be short of course, and somewhat pronounceable in both English and German, and not associated with anything big technology-wise.
We all got somewhat tired of the process, especially with several options still on the table and no real objective way to grade them.
More as a joke -- at first -- I wrote into the (proto-company) chat that we should go with PH3, since (1) it's short, (2) 3 letter technology companies seem to generally do well, and most importantly (3) we (the co-founders) are 3 people and we all have a PhD. So Ph3. Get it?

So in short, the truth is that I made a bad pun (as I am wont to do) and it stuck since everyone enjoyed it too much.

Deleted member 113

Good luck! ;)

I look forward to some good PC ports from your team.
Hopefully publishers like Koei Tecmo will start using your services.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
A question:
You always worked in proyects that personally interested you, how will you handle that now?
A very good question!
Currently, we are quickly throughput-limited when it comes to projects. And at least as of yet we are not ready to expand significantly, since we'd lose a lot of the advantages we get by being tiny and composed entirely of people who have a good understanding of and lots of experience in high-performance software. So when we have to make choices on which projects to take on we can absolutely still decide based on how much they interest us. Of course, there's also a capitalist perspective to it -- hypothetically, if one project were to pay 3 times as much as another but be a bit less interesting we might still chose it. But so far that certainly hasn't come up, we are still starting out after all.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Congrats. Hopefully you'll let us know when you guys pick up projects so we can look forward to the pc ports/"Durante fixed X" threads on here and elsewhere

Reactions: lashman

OSatan

OFather OSun
A very good question!
Currently, we are quickly throughput-limited when it comes to projects. And at least as of yet we are not ready to expand significantly, since we'd lose a lot of the advantages we get by being tiny and composed entirely of people who have a good understanding of and lots of experience in high-performance software. So when we have to make choices on which projects to take on we can absolutely still decide based on how much they interest us. Of course, there's also a capitalist perspective to it -- hypothetically, if one project were to pay 3 times as much as another but be a bit less interesting we might still chose it. But so far that certainly hasn't come up, we are still starting out after all.
Yeah that is always difficult to balance, and that is not taking into account that a difficult port of a game you are not invested in the end would probably be more important in certain eyes.

I won't wish you luck in this new venture, I know you will eat the world and show them how is really done, now that you are a logo in a splash screen, they will pay attention.

Accoun

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Awesome!

I wish you all the luck and good project opportunities (might be one and the same, lol).

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Since self-promotion isn't prohibited and it might be of interest to some of the people here I thought I'd make a thread about this.

The company is called PH3, and the gaming-related part has a tiny web presence here.

The process has actually been on-going since September last year, but we just very recently got the final bureaucratic ids required to consider it fully complete (Austrian bureaucracy is an art form).

Expect some more ports from us in the future!
(And contact us if you need a high-quality PC port ;))
Congrats Durante. This is perhaps the first time I am directly communicating with you, so I wanna thank you for your hard work on fixing and optimizing games.
I'm greatly into Japanese made games, so you can imagine just how much your work has helped me.

Wish you the best for your new company and job.

MegaApple

Sep 20, 2018
Durate, also please shill your work here as much as possible so will know what games to support 😉

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Fantastic news! I'm very much looking forward to your first projects. Are any porting announcements forthcoming? Will you consider making original games as well?

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Good for you Durante, starting a PC porting company just in time to see PC gaming die. :\
If PC gaming keeps "dying" at the rate it has since I first heard that in the 90s I think we're going to be fine ;)

Fantastic news! I'm very much looking forward to your first projects. Are any porting announcements forthcoming? Will you consider making original games as well?
Announcement timing always depends on the publisher, but rest assured that we are working on stuff.
As for original games, ideas are always floating around, but right now we have great expertise and size to deliver high-quality ports, not so much to create entire games.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
That's awesome man! Wishing you the best :D

Looking forward to playing many great ports from you in the future.

MegaApple

Sep 20, 2018
Hey Durante , I noticed you worked on REZ Infinite. Thank you for that.

Any jobs that are in the horizon that you are interested in? (not just game but business partners?)