|OT| Indie Game Development thread

SaberVS7

Average Date a Live Enjoyer
Jan 23, 2020
Well, big project at work is wrapping up so I have time to start prototyping shit again

Ergonomics is my passion

Not entirely sure what I think of the Enhanced Input System yet

On one hand, having Input Processing bind to Strongly Typed objects instead of Magic-Strings is a massive step forward from an architectural perspective, but fuck me, Epic is not good at documentation, and honestly neither were the half a dozen YouTubers I bounced around trying to figure out how it works.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
For anyone looking for something interesting to read on this fine Sunday, Road to Vostok developer chose to port his game from Unity to Godot and he has two posts up on his patreon about the process so far.

• Gib

SaberVS7

Average Date a Live Enjoyer
Jan 23, 2020
I actually assumed that Vostok was being made in Unreal, huh.

Not the first project I've heard is diverting engines. Ascent of Ashes is also switching to Godot, though with the intent of being a heavily modified fork by the time its ready. Apparently it was already planned before the royalty model change because of issues with Unity DOTS that was causing the game to have unacceptable performance issues and bugs they couldn't work around without engine-access, and recent news only accelerated their plans.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
To be honest I thought Opera would make worse for GameMaker, but it has only been good for the engine. After they acquired YoyoGames, the engine has gotten multiple new features that makes the engine much better. :D
But it was them who introduced subscription based license. I am glad that they are switching back to one time cost license

KingKrouch

Dec 14, 2021
Been messing around with Godot for a bit. Trying to get Steamworks support working with the engine's Mono/C# build, and while it works in Windows just fine, it's flipping out over missing libraries with the Linux build of the editor, even if I have the right library files in the project directory. Mostly done refactoring the code to have both basic input (mostly just getting button prompts for their Xbox equivalents from Steam) and advanced input (per-action prompts), but I've been working on editor tools to streamline things a bit. The plan is that when I have it in a state that I'm personally happy with, I could port it to Unity, and then have both a Unity and Godot version available for sale. I'd like to make it pretty easy to implement, where the most code related tweaks that need to be done is adding actions and adjusting certain settings.

Tried GDScript, and it's certainly not for me.

Speaking of Opera, how is their browser these days? They went all in making it a browser for gamers.
Their browser is a bit creepy when it comes to the data collection, and most of it's gaming oriented features can be done on other browsers, It's PR is poorly managed to say the least, which honestly soured my opinion further. But there's also Vivaldi, which is made up of ex-Opera developers. Using that alongside the Vivaldi-GX theme is pretty good, setting aside the toolbar pages not having addon support or a search functionality.

If GameMaker goes open source, that's a great thing. Especially with Opera's current track record.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I actually need to install some image editing software. I recently nuked my old somewhat broken Windows install and I'm not fully back up to running yet, been too lazy to install stuff. :surrenderblob:

Lets see how long I can survive without Photoshop this time.

Maybe I should try LibreSprite, which is a fork of Aseprite.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I actually need to install some image editing software. I recently nuked my old somewhat broken Windows install and I'm not fully back up to running yet, been too lazy to install stuff. :surrenderblob:

Lets see how long I can survive without Photoshop this time.

Maybe I should try LibreSprite, which is a fork of Aseprite.
Let me know how it goes. Since I got rid of my photoshop sub Ive been without it and havent really found, or looked for anything else. I do however have Aseprite which I really like and use Blockbench for 3D.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Let me know how it goes. Since I got rid of my photoshop sub Ive been without it and havent really found, or looked for anything else. I do however have Aseprite which I really like and use Blockbench for 3D.
Tbh for my use case Krita and/or GIMP are probably perfectly fine at least for now, it's more that I'm so used to where everything is and how the tools work in Photoshop that I always fall back to it.
We'll see how it goes this time.
:toucan: